HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu to play for his hometown team

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Marksman

vCash: 500
Koivu to play for his hometown team

Didnt see this anywhere yet ... I thought you might be interested. Saku will start playing in about two weeks - after completely recovering from that wrist injury he had in World Cup.

Old
10-20-2004, 05:08 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Didnt see this anywhere yet ... I thought you might be interested. Saku will start playing in about two weeks - after completely recovering from that wrist injury he had in World Cup.
any link?

Old
10-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Gainey RULZ

Send a message via MSN to Gainey RULZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
any link?
almost :
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=108955

Old
10-21-2004, 04:42 AM
Marksman

Quote:
any link?
http://www.turunsanomat.fi/osasto/?t...533,2004-10-21

Its in finnish, so I'll sum up few interesting points in my wacky english:

- He hurt his wrist (torn ligament) in the very first World Cup game, versus Czech Republic, and had to play with painkillers throughout the tournament.

- They x-ray his hand in Montreal Nov 1st before Habs give their permission. The injury has been the obstacle for his playing - not Finnish taxes, as it has been for most finns. Earliest date he could play is Nov 4th, but propably his first game will be on Nov 16th - after the Karjala Cup break in SM-liiga schedule.

- His wife, Hanna, is returning Finland even sooned. She is expecting and the baby is due early December. I suspect this is why he chose Turku, not some odd Swiss team. (Yay, another national team player for us! )

- TPS is also looking for another NHL lockout player to replace this Rob Valicevic guy, and obviously to play with Saku. I'm not exactly Turku fan myself, but seeing how they are above average team right now they should turn into top four team in SM-liiga - giving my team Kärpät run for their title.

Last edited by Marksman: 10-21-2004 at 05:17 AM.
Old
10-21-2004, 07:22 AM
Sampe

I have only this much to say:

:gman:

Old
10-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
http://www.turunsanomat.fi/osasto/?t...533,2004-10-21

Its in finnish, so I'll sum up few interesting points in my wacky english:

- He hurt his wrist (torn ligament) in the very first World Cup game, versus Czech Republic, and had to play with painkillers throughout the tournament.

- They x-ray his hand in Montreal Nov 1st before Habs give their permission. The injury has been the obstacle for his playing - not Finnish taxes, as it has been for most finns. Earliest date he could play is Nov 4th, but propably his first game will be on Nov 16th - after the Karjala Cup break in SM-liiga schedule.

- His wife, Hanna, is returning Finland even sooned. She is expecting and the baby is due early December. I suspect this is why he chose Turku, not some odd Swiss team. (Yay, another national team player for us! )

- TPS is also looking for another NHL lockout player to replace this Rob Valicevic guy, and obviously to play with Saku. I'm not exactly Turku fan myself, but seeing how they are above average team right now they should turn into top four team in SM-liiga - giving my team Kärpät run for their title.
Thanks for the info, marksman 2. Your English is fine, by the way.

Koivu is often injured, but you have to give him points for toughness. Lots of points.

Last edited by Gros Bill: 10-21-2004 at 09:41 AM.
Old
10-21-2004, 09:34 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Thanks for the info, marksman 2. Your English is fine, by the way.

Koivu is often injured, but you have to give him points for toughness. Lost of points.
He sure is, but it makes you wonder when enough is enough......

by the way, lOts, not loSt

Old
10-21-2004, 09:43 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
I'm not exactly Turku fan myself, but seeing how they are above average team right now they should turn into top four team in SM-liiga - giving my team Kärpät run for their title.
Your English is just fine, keep the info coming!!

By the way, since you are a Karpat fan, how did young Korpikari look on defence before he broke his ankle?

Old
10-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Mr. HoCKeY

Quote:
any link?

http://www.eurohockey.net/news/index...9koivujoinstps

Voila!

Old
10-22-2004, 06:47 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
Your English is just fine, keep the info coming!!

By the way, since you are a Karpat fan, how did young Korpikari look on defence before he broke his ankle?
Korpikari was looking like a regular to me, I'm guessing he bumps one of the oldtimers into bench warming duties when hes back. Seems to have had excellent training season and has matured both mentally and physically. Hes calmer with the puck and displays some mean streak aswell. Hes officially listed at 188cm/94kg (6'2"/207lbs) instead of that 6'1" 198 hes listed here on this site. Which I tend to believe slapping his back at the local sports bar couple months ago - I'm only skinny 5'11" myself, that guy has hands like shovels.

No points at the SM-league level yet, but part of that has to do with poor PP rates Kärpät produced in their first ten or so games. I dont know if the coach told him to make safe plays or if it is his own choise, but in my view he could try making outlet pass more often. Still, no complaining Osku is an effective mobile stay at home defender already in this league and clearly has reserves for more. Its only a matter of time now he starts putting points to the board. Kärpät is playing with high confidence right now, their offensive game has been improving lately, I'm hoping the coach starts encouraging him to take chances and jump into offensive side more often. I guess it doesnt hurt to train and play with NHL pro like Janne Niinimaa on your team either.

If hes able to get the offence going and put few more pounds, watch out Ron Hainsey.

Last edited by Marksman: 10-22-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old
10-23-2004, 11:28 PM
theo6060

Aha, here's the thread I was looking for.

For those interested in another link, here's one from Sportsnet:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...23_155939_1968

Closed Thread