HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free agent talk

Old
07-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
It depends on what you're expecting, I guess. I don't think i was ever thinking we'd sign a 2 million dollar defenseman. I think we have enough to sign two, one million dollar players.
I thought of that scenerio, but honestly, does signing two below average players really make our team better? I mean if by some miracle we were to find two, unproven million dollar players that both have break out years, then that would be ideal. But that is a very tall order.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:56 PM
OpenWheel

I hate all this "get a below average veteran defenseman for 1 mil and get a scrub or over the hill forward for another mil" stuff I seem to be hearing. Here's how I think it should go down, not that it will...

It's about time Klein got full time minutes. So he's not great yet and sometimes has bad games or shifts. Oh well. He still is an ok player with more potential. And he's not totally green. He needs to pair with Hammer out of the gate. Full time. We have 3 veteran defenseman and at least a couple good prospects who should be getting close to NHL ready, Sulzer for sure, since they did bring him in last year, and either Franson or Blum. So Sulzer and Blum or Franson are the backups.

Is that a super young dee and scary? Of course! But the Preds need to swing for the fences. There isn't another way to win. I don't know why people think they should add scrubs and try to muddle by. We were all hoping guys like Fiddler would move on so maybe we could plug in some young prospects and Trotz would actually be forced to give them PT.

We cannot afford to spend a dime on another defenseman because we need every dime to buy a forward who ISN'T a scrub or career third liner at best.

Swing for the fences! Toss the prospects into the fire and hope Weber, Suter, Hammer, and Klein stay real, real healthy. Same for Sulzer. Now go spend whatever is left on a forward who the fans have some hope can really play. So they can sell tickets.

I happen to think Wilson will make the team very early. He's another one who has to be thrown in on the deep end. I just can't see him being one who will get mental and stymied in development if things are tough early.

I think this team is going to be better. The best defenseman have another year and should be good. Sullivan is the wildcard but I am saying better because he will play from the start. Legwand played like crap for the first third of last year before he began showing off for his new bride. He isn't likely to repeat his suckage from early last season. Jones will be better. Ward is now basically a veteran and knows the sytem.

All we need is one good forward. Don't spend money on defense that needs to be spent up front. Count on the cheap prospects and give them PT. It's our only hope. I know Poile is supposed to be interested only in a defensive pickup, but my scenario is based on the fact that there's no way on God's green earth that can possibly be true, so he'll reveal his hole card and it'll be a decent forward/center. It HAS to be...

This could be a good team.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-07-2009 at 03:21 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 12:56 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 1900
I agree and Poile kinda said that was the plan in today's Titansean. He says that they will probably not go for a veteran D man.

Unfortunatly his plan for a forward is to see who the training camp cast-offs are from other teams.

Linkafied!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 02:55 PM
dulzhok

I think it's total crap that Poile may not be interested in a veteran dman. Total crap.

This means we will start atleast 2 rookies, 1 2nd year player (Klien), and 3 defensemen under the age of 26.

This also means that that he won't even consider trading someone for offensive help, which increases the likelihood that we'll lose Hamhuis for nothing next offseason.

And what happens WHEN someone goes down with an injury? Add another rookie to the lineup.

Poile is wrong when he says defense is the organization's strength. It has the potential to be, but he fails to put a complete unit out there. Like last year, what happens if we have a decent veteran instead of Kositenen? Quite possibly could've meant 2 more wins, which would've meant playoffs.

I'm all about giving the kids a shot. But he's about relying on the kids, before they even give it a shot. This will get us nowhere.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:00 PM
OpenWheel

That's very depressing. He's not sure if our top six forward spot will be filled from within? WHO can POSSIBLY fill the spot from the organization?! We're already hoping that someone can step up their play and grab a third line role, so that for once we have a solid third line!

And his wait and see who gets left off a roster right before the season starts... Great. What he's really saying is "it's too confusing for me to work through all the possibilities and I'm too timid to strike first, so I'll wait and see what falls into my lap."

Or maybe it's "I have to wait and see which players call me."

Old
07-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
That's very depressing. He's not sure if our top six forward spot will be filled from within? WHO can POSSIBLY fill the spot from the organization?! We're already hoping that someone can step up their play and grab a third line role, so that for once we have a solid third line!

And his wait and see who gets left off a roster right before the season starts... Great. What he's really saying is "it's too confusing for me to work through all the possibilities and I'm too timid to strike first, so I'll wait and see what falls into my lap."

Or maybe it's "I have to wait and see which players call me."

Or maybe it's "We have to wait and see what the **** is going on with the economy, before decisions are made ... the S & P 500 isn't looking too good right at this moment" ... which means less disposable cash for non-FSTH/HSTH, etc, etc, etc

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 03:13 PM
OpenWheel

I disagree. If they wanted a veteran D-man they should have kept Zanon, who already was familiar with the system and players. It would tick me off if we lost Zanon just to go half a mil a year cheaper. Any cheaper then that and the youngsters should be just as good as anyone we could get. Although I suppose the length of the contract could be why we didn't match for Zanon, but that seems really silly to me.

But the whole point of going with two rookies and a second year guy (although Klein played two years ago for 13 games and he'll be 25, so he isn't as green as a one year guy.) along with the three vets on defense is to spend the money saved UP FRONT.

I agree it makes little sense to neither go after a defensive vet OR a quality top six forward. If we are expecting to fill the second line from the organization then the defense has to be SUPERB because we won't score enough goals. So sure, we should spend on a vet.

Well, Poile didn't get us a forward last year, but he has plucked some good players once in awhile. So I'll just hope he knows what he's doing. It's a bit depressing to see how low our payroll is and still see that we aren't a player in the market. Whatever keeps hockey in Nashville though.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-07-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old
07-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Jarnberg

I just Poile would be honest and tell everyone that our owners cannot afford to sign any other players. Judging by the amount of complaining on message boards regarding not bringing in new players, maybe that would get people to actually come to games, since nothing else works.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Sulzer has had a lot of international experience and destroyed the AHL. He is ready. Klein has been ready for more than 3 seasons, and he finally got regular playing time next year. They may be green in terms of games played at the NHL level, but they are going to be able to play at a much higher level than most rookies just getting their feet wet.

07-07-2009, 06:00 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I just Poile would be honest and tell everyone that our owners cannot afford to sign any other players. Judging by the amount of complaining on message boards regarding not bringing in new players, maybe that would get people to actually come to games, since nothing else works.
Either that, or build a winning team! By winning, I mean getting out of the 46th percentile in 12 years.

Eddie George reminded me of how the Predators have hope in Nashville. He talked about when the Titans first moved to Nashville and played at Vanderbilt, they couldn't give tickets away. They were around the 46 percentile in the NFL (8-8). McNair and others turned the team around, won some playoff games, got them over the hump, and the fans came.

I'm not clamoring for Poile/owners to spend, spend, spend. I am clamoring for them to at least try something out outside of standing Pat.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Either that, or build a winning team! By winning, I mean getting out of the 46th percentile in 12 years.

Eddie George reminded me of how the Predators have hope in Nashville. He talked about when the Titans first moved to Nashville and played at Vanderbilt, they couldn't give tickets away. They were around the 46 percentile in the NFL (8-8). McNair and others turned the team around, won some playoff games, got them over the hump, and the fans came.

I'm not clamoring for Poile/owners to spend, spend, spend. I am clamoring for them to at least try something out outside of standing Pat.
I'm at that point as well. I like David Poile, and he is a good GM. Unfortunately, his history speaks for itself. If we lost him, we would either get better or worse. Few can work with a budget like Poile can, but then again, few would be as passive as Poile has been over the course of this franchise....*shrug*.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
echlfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
I agree and Poile kinda said that was the plan in today's Titansean. He says that they will probably not go for a veteran D man.

Unfortunatly his plan for a forward is to see who the training camp cast-offs are from other teams.

Linkafied!

Poile has been waiting for a training camp cast off since this last years training camp. When is he going to realize that Jones is NOT a top line guy, neither is Hornqvist and MAYBE Wilson. Put all three of those guys on the bottom 2 lines or in the minors to gain experience and confidence, get a legit player who has experience.

Our D core may be very thin if they don't decide to sign a veteran D.

Weber-Suter...Outstanding
Hamhuis-Klein...OK/Good
Laakso, Blum, Sulzer, Fransson...OUCH!!!!!!!!!! YOUNG!!!!

This D core puts a lot of pressure on Pekka to stand on his head. Low scoring team and young d, not a good combo....hopefully I am wrong?????

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 02:18 PM
braindead

Kotalik is off the market courtesy of the Rangers. I think he was the last best potential for a "safe" "cheap" top 6 guy. My best guess now is that anyone we get will come through a trade-- I'll say Franson is the likely trade bait.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 02:34 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 1900
Stand Pat Poile lets another option slide away. Franson isnt worth a top sixer at this point. It's going to be more of the same this season, Im accustomed to it now. Maybe our young guys will shine.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

He received too much IMO. 3 years, 9 million. I'm glad we walked away from that.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 02:49 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

At this rate, I fully expect us to sign Comrie and Hinote, so we'll at least get SOME kind of media exposure this year.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 02:59 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
He received too much IMO. 3 years, 9 million. I'm glad we walked away from that.
Totally agree.

I also agree that Franson isn't worth a real top 6 guy but I do think he could garner someone that we would have playing in our top 6. Jan Hlavac or Vern Fiddler perhaps?

It will be a fun team to watch-- I'd be excited to see Wilson and Blum just to see what they can do and how they develop.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 05:16 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

way too much money for an okay scorer in kotalik. glad we passed, can't believe i'm saying it.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Jarnberg

Ville Peltonen anyone?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:06 AM
cjerina

http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculator.php?Team=19

Shows Nolan Yonkman on the roster... did we really we sign him?

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:20 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculator.php?Team=19

Shows Nolan Yonkman on the roster... did we really we sign him?
Evidently.

Old
07-10-2009, 11:30 AM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Evidently.
Well that sucks.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Ville Peltonen anyone?
been there done that

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:20 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
Well that sucks.
I think it's pretty safe to speculate that the only reason Yonkman was brought back is because the Predators like the intangibles he brings, and not because he's considered a high-level recall for the big club.

It's a good developmental move.

Old
07-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

No problem from me bringing back Yonkman. None at all. Agree with post above me.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote