HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Jay Harrison signed

Old
07-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

vCash: 500
Jay Harrison signed

Yay for another depth signing.

Has played in 20 career NHL games with Toronto.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=42318

07-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
2-way

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl_signing_tracker/

Chevy Cheveldae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

Gotta love the potential defense in Albany this year, although one or more of these guys could end up in Carolina.

Carson
Borer
McBain
Rodney
Bellemore
Harrison

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
This is going to be an exciting year for the rats fans, and they deserve it after putting up with so many mediocre teams over the years.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I really like this move. Harrison is exactly the type of defender we need in the system, as we have very few like him. He's a crease clearer, he's tough, and he plays the body more frequently than just about anybody we've got.

The negatives and why he isn't in the NHL full time already on somebody's bottom pairing, mainly the Leafs, is that he's not a fleet of foot kind of player. He's kind of a plodder out there. With that said, so was Mike Commodore and he was still effective in his role.

At 26, he's at the right age to come in and produce for us right away. If Babchuk really does not come back, then chances are decent enough for Harrison to make the team. Even still, I like his chances as the 7th defenseman regardless. I think this move just put Brett Carson back in the AHL next season.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 09:41 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
If Babchuk really does not come back, then chances are decent enough for Harrison to make the team. Even still, I like his chances as the 7th defenseman regardless. I think this move just put Brett Carson back in the AHL next season.
I would really dislike that.
a) If harrison is an answer for losing babchuk
b) getting a career AHLer instead of trying to promote and develop someone from within the system.

I don't like this signing if he becomes NHL regular. It just feels that we'll end up with the worst blue line in the East if not entire NHL.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:42 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
b) getting a career AHLer instead of trying to promote and develop someone from within the system.

I don't like this signing if he becomes NHL regular. It just feels that we'll end up with the worst blue line in the East if not entire NHL.
Carolina has been notorious for their solid evaluation of defensemen between 25-28, or as JR calls it, "When the player becomes who he is going to be", and the results have been strong. Finds like Dennis Seidenberg, Mike Commodore, Joe Corvo, etc. Our organization has an eye for this kind of talent to fill out the bottom pairings and I think Carolina believes they have found another one here. Why else would they assure him $175,000 on a $100,000 AHL deal unless they planned to use him in an NHL capacity at least part of the time?

I also wouldn't really call it fair to say that Jay Harrison is a career AHL defenseman. Not any more or less than Mike Commodore was at this point in his career and he has become, apparently, a $19 million defenseman. Not saying that it is assured to happen in Harrison's case, but the playing style and scouting report is markedly similar.

We're also talking about a player that in Toronto was always bypassed for prospect defenseman de'jour. Brendan Bell, Anton Stralman, Staffan Kronwall, etc.

Many fans of Toronto were frustrated that Harrison wasn't given a better chance to stick in the bottom pairings prior to his departure and eventual return to the franchise last season. Plus, with Toronto having a penchant to bring in more skaters than they need for the blueline, it was hard to crack for any young player when you have guys like Kaberle, Kubina, Van Ryn, Finger, Schenn, Colaiacovo, Stralman, Frogren, White, etc. with the last four guys all vying for the 7th defenseman spot. Toronto can be a tough place to crack into the lineup because they're always looking for something better from the 1st defenseman to the 7th defenseman.

Carolina obviously saw something they like about Harrison other than his price tag or he wouldn't be here. His stylistic profile is one that we're missing on this squad and I think once everybody gets a solid look at him they'll be glad that we made this signing. He'll be a player for us. To what extent remains to be seen.

Old
07-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I definitely see where you're coming from here Vagrant. Jay Harrison is a typical Jim Rutherford defenceman. He's in that age bracket where he's either going to show he can hold down a job at the NHL level or he can't. Your comparison to Commodore is a good one. Although Mike had close to 100 games already played in the NHL. But he really wasn't much of anything. Your typical 7th defenceman who could fill in on the bottom pairing when need be. I like the comparison though.

Jay had a very good and successful junior career in Brampton. I believe he was the 1st overall pick back in the 98' OHL Draft. I remember faintly seeing him when he came to town and he was always a real good, solid, defenceman. Knowing he was a Leafs prospect, I had always thought he would make it to the Leafs. Also note, in 2002 Jay was one of Canada's defenceman at the World Junior Championships with the likes of Spezza, Nash, Cammalleri, Boyes, Kobasew, Ott, Upshall, Stoll, Weiss, Hamhuis, Colaiacovo, Shultz, Bouwmeester. They walked away with Silver, but it was a good team with a lot of quality players and Jay Harrison was one of them. He was also on the team the year before (2001), but saw little ice time as the team went on to win Bronze. I beleive he was the teams 7th defenceman that year.

A big thing to remember here is that Maurice knows Jay Harrison and knows him quite well. When Maurice coached the Toronto Marlies for the 2005-2006 season, Jay Harrison was one of his defenceman as a 22 year old and enjoyed his best professional season to date. He played 57 games in 2005-2006 and collected 9 goals & 20 assists for 29 points and was a +10. The Marlies ended up losing in the first round in 5 games, in those 5 playoff games Harrison collected 1 goal, 3 assists for 4 points.

It seems evident to me that JR and Maurice had a talk about Harrison and Maurice wanted him here. No question in my mind.

I could definitely (like Vagrant) see Jay Harrison on our blueline this season. Even if it means over the likes of Carson. I have mixed feelings there as I really want Carson on the team. He has paid his time in the AHL and it is time to see what he has and where he truly is development wise. However, that could very well be determined at camp. We'll see.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:16 AM
dmonk
doughberle

so Carolina is indeed an island of Misfit toys.

Old
07-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
so Carolina is indeed an island of Misfit toys.
True, but chances like this one are part of what defines JR as one of the best low budget GM's in the game. I can understand and share the frustration that many fans have when our big signings come in the form of retaining players we already have, our "big trades" are usually impending UFA players in line for a raise, and our team philosophy seems to revolve around 3rd line hybrids through all four lines.... but you have to give credit where credit is due and recognize that the moves that JR makes usually result in success.

I don't think we need to go back over the moves he made in 05-06 to make this team better, but even since then he has made some VERY astute moves like trading for Jokinen, picking up Samsonov from waivers, trading for Seidenberg, trading for Pitkanen, trading for Ruutu.... all these moves weren't of the blockbuster variety but they filled holes on our hockey team.

The run we had last year was a once in a decade or even lifetime type of run for a small market franchise, and this was our 3rd in the last 6 years. In 2009 and 2002 in particular, I really cannot see how anybody can dismiss the fact that those teams advanced as far as they did because of the team building that JR was able to accomplish. I get tired of hearing people say that we've fallen backwards into three ECF in the past 6 years despite asset mismanagement by our front office. It's simply not true.

JR has gotten results from this team that perhaps no other GM could have hoped to accomplish. There are teams with unlimited budgets that would have killed for the past six years we've had and JR has orchestrated that for us.

Where as fans, we looks at guys like Jay McKee and think, "well there is our solution", JR looks at guys like Harrison and says, "well there is our solution for this year and years beyond if he works out". JR rarely puts together patchwork veterans to make one push and then go into a rebuild.

The more I hear about Harrison, the more I like about this signing. I keep hearing things like, "underrated offensive awareness", "exemplary team player and character", "the best defensive player the Marlies have had since 05-06", and so on. Even back to his junior days, where he was twice selected for the WJC for Team Canada, people were saying what a professional he was and how he has a bright future.

Things do not always click for a player all at once. This player has played 400 games at the AHL level getting ready for his chance to break into a lineup full time. He has earned his chance by virtue of his play the last few years. 13 goals and 27 points in 69 games for the Marlies the year before last and 12 points in 18 games in the playoffs that year.

Harrison has the potential to be a real find and the Leafs have passed over a lot of them. Because he's not "flashy", and because he's not "marketable", he was passed over in Toronto. He was a favorite of Don Cherry's when he would discuss the Leafs, and if there is one thing that Cherry knows about it's throwback players and Harrison is one.

Old
07-10-2009, 08:40 AM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The run we had last year was a once in a decade or even lifetime type of run for a small market franchise, and this was our 3rd in the last 6 years. In 2009 and 2002 in particular, I really cannot see how anybody can dismiss the fact that those teams advanced as far as they did because of the team building that JR was able to accomplish. I get tired of hearing people say that we've fallen backwards into three ECF in the past 6 years despite asset mismanagement by our front office. It's simply not true.
Amen!

Most other teams would kill for our scouts, management, and coaching staff.

We need to realize that.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:01 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucktheCaniac View Post
Amen!

Most other teams would kill for our scouts, management, and coaching staff.

We need to realize that.
Lol.... that is the funniest thing ever.

Old
07-10-2009, 09:13 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

At the risk of sounding redundant, I can't find fault in most of Rutherford's moves without using hindsight, it being the 20/20 lens that it is. I think Harrison makes sense and is a step in the right direction towards developing a frittier, tougher d-corps. Since we traded Commie, I don't think we've really had that strong crease-clearing presence (there was Melichar, an instance of me finding fault in a signing..as a Pens fan as well I had a rather strong feeling Melichar would be useless). If Harrison makes it up to the big club I think he might provide that. Good job, JR - if nothing else, a strong AHL club will benefit us.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Chrispy

Quote:

I understand where Vagrant is coming from on this one. Despite the fact he's been in Albany for almost 3 full seasons, Carson would still be better served playing every night in Albany than up in the RBC press box for most of the season. In that regard, Harrison makes sense as a signing. However, I'd much rather see Carson or Borer or Rodney in the top 6 than Harrison if someone beats out Kaberle or Wallin.

I don't see any reason this would prevent the Canes from making another move for a D. If Harrison ends up as veteran leadership and muscle in Albany, that's fine. I think this move is more of a signal of trying to setup a postseason run in Albany with an outside shot at helping in Raleigh than a long-term plan in Raleigh.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
I understand where Vagrant is coming from on this one. Despite the fact he's been in Albany for almost 3 full seasons, Carson would still be better served playing every night in Albany than up in the RBC press box for most of the season. In that regard, Harrison makes sense as a signing. However, I'd much rather see Carson or Borer or Rodney in the top 6 than Harrison if someone beats out Kaberle or Wallin.

I don't see any reason this would prevent the Canes from making another move for a D. If Harrison ends up as veteran leadership and muscle in Albany, that's fine. I think this move is more of a signal of trying to setup a postseason run in Albany with an outside shot at helping in Raleigh than a long-term plan in Raleigh.
To be honest, I don't think having a winning team in Albany is a big concern for Carolina. Not to the extent that they would make a signing that pays a player $100k at that level and an assured $175k to make sure they play winning hockey. Their major concern with their affiliate is that their prospects get enough playing time to develop, they get good coaching, and career AHL guys don't stand in the way of progress. In terms of NHL investment, the real test is how prepared players come out of Albany as compared to the success the team has. They could be the worst team in the league but if the players that were elevated were grounded, humble, and well versed on the fundamentals then it wouldn't matter to Carolina.

I really think the people that are waiting for JR to make another move are going to be disappointed when this becomes the move. That's okay because it's an annual rite of passage with this team for most to roll our eyes and call the organization clench fist and curse the Gods of hockey for having such a spend thrift GM.... until about the third round of the playoffs. Then things get a bit better.

Old
07-10-2009, 10:35 AM
bleedgreen

i dont mind the harrison signing at all, competition is a good thing and our minor league guys need to step up and take a job away from someone. harrison after being held down in TO a bit is likely chomping at the bit to succeed and will likely have a different approach than the guys we have do. you cant have too many d, depth is huge. my only problem is if these are the moves we're making to improve our nhl d. this guy cant be counted on for that till he takes a job in oct, and i assume even that is as a bottom pair guy when we need a top 4 guy. if we still get a more solid pro, than harrison is a good addition to the depth. if we get harrison and maybe one other guy of his ilk then jr has gone bargain bin hunting with the d.

as your saying vagrant, i think we'll disappointed to realize this is our d addition for the year. i appreciate your enthusiasm.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I'm not to sure Harrison is the only minor addition coming here. Hints have been dropped that we're still looking/in the process of signing a veteran defenceman.

Quote:
Adding Harrison, in theory, shouldn't preclude the Hurricanes from adding a veteran defenseman as Karmanos said the team was working on Wednesday. It's also possible that the team will find a way to keep defenseman Anton Babchuk.

Quote:
“Jay is a big defenseman who has been a depth player in the Toronto system since turning professional,” said Jason Karmanos, executive director of hockey operations, in a statement. “His size and experience should allow him to compete for a roster spot with the Hurricanes next season.”

If he's going to compete for a spot, we could likely head into the season with Pitkanen, Gleason, Corvo, Wallin, Kaberle and a potential free agency signing in the mold of a veteran defenceman (Sydor, DeVries, Klee, etc..), and one of Harrison/Rodney/Carson.

If we don't sign a veteran, than 2 of the 3 (Harrison, Rodney, Carson) will likely be on the team. I highly doubt Babchuk is back. I'd be surprised if he is. I can't see JR budging from his offer, so if Anton wants back, chances are he has to accept whats on the table.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Paul Mara just signed a 1 year deal with Montreal

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Paul Mara just signed a 1 year deal with Montreal
1 year, $1.95 million.

Somewhere, Dennis Seidenberg's dream of $2 million per season just crashed into a brick wall.

It makes me curious as to what Carolina presented him with. They obviously offered him a contract of more than the $1.2 he made last season and probably for multiple years. At this point, it seems like a reach that Seidenberg would get even $1.5 for more than one year. Not always is the grass greener.