HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I am still having issues with my full face visor fogging up and getting dirty.

Old
07-09-2009, 11:27 AM
tobyandmisty

vCash: 500
I am still having issues with my full face visor fogging up and getting dirty.

I have posted before about this is and it is so frustrating. My visor still fogs up and gets dirty after about an hour of play. I have tried what people said on here (Windex, J & J shampoo, anti fog spray, Pledge, even spit, which I was told worked well) and I am still having this same issue.

Is there anything else I could try that may have worked for someone. It is ruining my game.

Thanks.

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 12:01 PM
noobman

Use an actual anti-fog spray. I have a spray that I use for my glasses that works very well for the first hour and change, but after that it gets pretty bad. It's always worse in the summer, since the ambient temperature is never that great.

Keep a towel on the bench with you and wipe your visor off after every shift. If you can, try to keep your head as low as possible when you're on the bench.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 01:57 PM
OilTownHero

Good point Noobman, I have my own visor/cage and it is oakley. What I do to mine is make sure it is really clean by putting on a coat or two of the oakley anti-fog spray, and then take a real clean skate towel on the bench and wipe my visor whenever I need too. The Anti-fog coating really helps. In between periods you should put another coating of the spray and wipe your visor so clean in shines. The visor won't be able to completely stay un fogged for a whole game!! What I do after games is but my helmet rapped up in a towel to keep the visor from getting scratched and smudged but if you can get a helmet bag that is even better. Something else to consider is that the visor fogs up way easier in COLD arenas... my oakley visor has the antifog and my holy visor HAD FROST ON IT!!! So make sure that if you are at a cold arena that you have a spare wired helmet!!! If you have any questions, I have experienced it all with my visor/helmet!!!

OE

OilTownHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 04:03 PM
londonkni14

i have a visor and for a "helmet bag" i just use a pillow case. works real well.

londonkni14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 04:09 PM
OilTownHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonkni14 View Post
i have a visor and for a "helmet bag" i just use a pillow case. works real well.
That's a great Idea! I am going to do that for the year, THANKS!

OilTownHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 09:06 PM
IniNew

When you use things like sprays, and shampoos, make sure you don't wipe or buff it too much. Spray it on, smooth it out and let the streaks disappear by themselves.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:00 PM
densetsu

How attached are you to full-faced visors, anyways?

I mean, if it's wrecking your game and none of the solutions seem to work, why not just go to a full cage, or a visor/cage combo? If you just bought the thing and can't take it back, you could always sell it on eBay or Craigslist or whatever and get back *some* of your investment.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:02 PM
tobyandmisty

Thanks for all of the input. I have the old pillow bag also. I had actually bought the visor because I had such problems seeing out of the cage. I love it for the first hour and hate it for the second.

I will keep trying. I have an anti fog spray. I will try it again.

Old
07-10-2009, 02:04 PM
tobyandmisty

I almost forgot. Someone has recommended drilling small holes in it to let it breathe. Any one ever done this? I am sure it is a risk to break the visor. But if it might work, I might consider it.

Old
07-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Lososaurus

In paintball, we used fogtech and that stuff was like a gift from heaven:

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
How attached are you to full-faced visors, anyways?

I mean, if it's wrecking your game and none of the solutions seem to work, why not just go to a full cage, or a visor/cage combo? If you just bought the thing and can't take it back, you could always sell it on eBay or Craigslist or whatever and get back *some* of your investment.
How well do the visor/cage combos work? Do they fog like a full-visor would? I've been considered getting one, but my concerns are related to it fogging.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Nbr-17

What is the brand & model of the visor?

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:47 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post

How well do the visor/cage combos work? Do they fog like a full-visor would? I've been considered getting one, but my concerns are related to it fogging.
I would assume that they fog less given the added ventilation for heat escaping from your skin. I use a full cage though, so I couldn't tell you.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Pog Form

I use dish soap, like Sunlight or Palmolive or whatever I have in the house.

I pour a decent amount on both sides of the visor (mostly on the inside) and wipe it around with a cloth. The visor will start to become cloudy, but I keep rubbing until it becomes clear again. Then I'll pour a little bit more on, and repeat the process. Once I'm done, I will give it a once over with a clean cloth or material that doesn't have soap on it--usually my t-shirt lol--until it's crystal clear.

Thanks to this process, I almost never have problems with fog. It still happens on occasion, but only on extremely hot days when it's a little more humid inside the arena. If anyone is wondering, I use a low-end Itech visor which is very prone to fogging.

P.S. When you're on the bench, try not to breathe up into your visor too much, and try not to touch it or wipe it a lot, because it might make the fog worse. If you do need to wipe it, make sure you're using a cloth that's completely dry.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
FWIW I use a Itech Concept II and the ventilation is excellent. I found the ventilation better than with a FX50 and it's a lot lighter and a better fit to my face. I spray it with some Itech anti fog before each skate and have no fogging issues even in the summer so far.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:06 PM
densetsu

Visor/cage combos are exactly like a half-visor, except you have a cage protecting your mouth. It's a nice alternative if you want full-facial protection, hate how cages affect your sightlines, and don't like how much full-face visors fog.

I wouldn't drill additional holes in the full-face visor, that's asking for trouble. I don't think the holes would help much, unless they were large or you had a *lot* of them. In both cases that would severely affect the integrity.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Hockeyfan68

I just started wearing the new Bauer visor, not a full shield so I cannot comment too much here. I do know I would never wear a full shield. I tried a wire cage years ago and it was brutally uncomfortable with the weight ... it does offer the best protection and no fogging.

If you cannot get past sight lines being weird with a cage try the suggestion made already for one of those full face shields with a visor built in. Half visor and half cage.

That may work for you. AND DON'T FEAR THE FOGGING! Today's stuff is excellent.

The new stuff they have is very well anti fogged. I breath on the inside trying to make it fog on purpose and it won't but when I do it on the exterior it does fog.

Skating keeps my fog in check on the front of the visor naturally ... I tried my new Bauer (the new Bauer that took over Itech) and I wore the HS22 Prowave straight cut visor. I have never been able to wear visors or half shields because the old technology sucked.

I am happy to say I absolutely did not feel like I was wearing a visor. The Bauer ones use that patented Oakley vision thing and there are no noticeable visual distortions.

I can finally for the first time wear face protection and I am happy about it.

It won't stop broken teeth or whatever but I feel it protects the eyes pretty well enough.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:47 PM
BlueBeard

There is an anti fog product out there that I use on my MX goggles and visor on my street helmet that's called Cat Crap(yes I'm serious) and it works really well. It's around five or six bucks for a container of it which should last you a while. You'll at least get your five bucks worth in laughs when you tell someone hold on you have to wipe your visor down with cat crap first.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:50 PM
tobyandmisty

I have the Itech Concept II as well. I would consider the half visor half cage but then I would be concerned when the puck is near my feet. I feel I may have a hard time.

I will try the dish soap.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Captivity
Rookie User

Face mask keeps fogging up.

I recently used Rain X Glass Cleaner Anti-Fog Wipes on the inside and outside of my mask and it worked out quite well.

Captivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:14 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
FWIW I use a Itech Concept II and the ventilation is excellent. I found the ventilation better than with a FX50 and it's a lot lighter and a better fit to my face. I spray it with some Itech anti fog before each skate and have no fogging issues even in the summer so far.
I used that cage for awhile too. While I had it I tested out a ton of anti-fog home remedies. Even without fogging I never quite got used to it. Maybe my eyes didn't like making the switch from bars to shied, idk. I ended up switching back to a full (wire) cage.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:18 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Use a cloth diaper instead of a towel. That way you reduce the chance of scratching you visor/cage.

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote