HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THN.com Top 10: Worst UFA contracts

Old
07-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Habsfanatical

vCash: 500
HAHAHAHAHA and this is coming from the same people who are praising everything that the make me leafs are doing in the same off season.. so that list isnt even worthy enough to wipe my own butt with!! Man and I used to like McGuire.. oh well

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:07 AM
guapo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Poor Gainey. It's either "the Canadiens didn't do enough to improve themselves this summer" (see every other summer before last year's) or "the Canadiens spent too much trying to improve themselves this summer" (see this year's and last). On va voir.
Spot on.

You cna;t win no matter what you do.

Armchair GM's & Media.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:10 AM
guapo23

As soon as the reporter said about Chris Neil he lost all credibility.

"Neil has 30 points in his past 128 NHL games and has never had more than 33 in a season."

And we all know that Chris Neil is in the NHL to put points on the board.

He even took a paycut.
How is this a bad contract ?

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:19 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Giving out rankings before they've even hit the ice...that makes total sense.
You dont base salaries on what players will do. You base it on what they did. So it's totally legitimate to rank contracts once they are signed.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Pascal

So people think Gionta's contract is good? It's awful unless he comes back to scoring 35-40 which hasn't happened but one time in his career. He's overpaid by a good 1M-1.5M and at 1 year too long on the term.

Along with Gomez's contract Gainey really put himself into a corner for the next 5 yrs.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
kyne

Gionta's contract is not the best, but if Bob wanted Gomez to play with his old linemate, he likely had to overpay to get him to sign here. I figure if you have an $8 million centre, may as well give him all the tools he needs to succeed.

Meanwhile, Toronto signs Grabovski at almost $3 million per. Now, that's funny.

kyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:33 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
Koivu is not on the list.
because 1 year at 3.25 is a steal
i hope he lites it up with Selanne in ANA

i will miss him in Montreal tho

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
Agreed. Cammalleri is market value. Nothing more, nothing less.

One thing I am curious about though...is Scott Gomez now our highest paid player ever?

I think it was Theodore at 6M before...not that it matters, but still interesting.
Let's Hope Gomez works out a little better than Theo

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
With Kovalev's contract being out of that list, I don't know what credibility it can have.

Honestly, I think Cammalleri and Gionta were given the right price. I have more problems with Gomez cap hit however, but we got it through a trade.
So you think Gionta > Kovalev?
You, my friend, have lost all credibility.

I agree that the Gaborik one's the worst, I think the 2nd worst should be Khabibulin, for all that's involved. Cammalleri got fair value, maybe a slight overpayment, but that's what happens with free-agency.

I'm a Sens fan and can admit that Neil's contract is bloated. Why can't most of you admit that Gionta's is?

Still, the worst contract on the Habs is Gomez.

Now keep in mind the list is made of this year's UFA signings, it's not like there's 100 of them.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyne View Post
Gionta's contract is not the best, but if Bob wanted Gomez to play with his old linemate, he likely had to overpay to get him to sign here. I figure if you have an $8 million centre, may as well give him all the tools he needs to succeed.

Meanwhile, Toronto signs Grabovski at almost $3 million per. Now, that's funny.
30 years old, 5M/5yrs- 81gm 20g 40a 60pts

25 years old, 2.9m/3yrs 78gm 20g 28a 48pts

what is funny about that...

if anything, it's a little sad for us.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Basszor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
He's using the same non-sensical line of thought as when Savard was signed with the Bs. And we all saw the results. It's the usual THN use-the-argument-that-suits-you-not-the-one-thats-logical, or else he would've mentioned Cammy's PPG season in LA where he didn't have Iginla and was more productive than the other players on the team.
I remember those ''experts'' saying Savard would never redo his season and was benifiting of a superstar in Kovalchuk. Isn't it pretty similar to their argument with Cammy?

Basszor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:57 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post

I agree that the Gaborik one's the worst, I think the 2nd worst should be Khabibulin, for all that's involved. Cammalleri got fair value, maybe a slight overpayment, but that's what happens with free-agency.

I'm a Sens fan and can admit that Neil's contract is bloated. Why can't most of you admit that Gionta's is?

Now keep in mind the list is made of this year's UFA signings, it's not like there's 100 of them.
I think most people here are...? There are arguments to be made in favor of Gionta, but it doesn't mean he isn't still overpaid. Anyone who thinks he isn't is in denial.

But really, Khabibulin 2nd? Why? It's a lengthy deal but 3.75 is a great cap hit if he can stay healthy and play like he did last year.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:58 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basszor View Post
I remember those ''experts'' saying Savard would never redo his season and was benifiting of a superstar in Kovalchuk. Isn't it pretty similar to their argument with Cammy?
Yes, except that in Cammy's case the experts are completely neglecting that OTHER 80-point season he had with the Kings (ie. no Iginla), two years ago.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Yes, except that in Cammy's case the experts are completely neglecting that OTHER 80-point season he had with the Kings (ie. no Iginla), two years ago.
frolov isn't exactly chopped liver...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think gainey did well with Cammalleri, Spacek, Gill. I think that Gainey's under the gun with the Gionta signing and Gomez trade, those 2 need to bounce back and put up big numbers to come close to justifying the trade and $$$.

Cammy should get his 70-75 points 35-35/40-70-75
Gomez needs to get back to 75 points 20-55-75 at least.
Gionta back to 30-35 goals.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I thought Khabi and Antro were two of the worst.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
One thing I am curious about though...is Scott Gomez now our highest paid player ever?

I think it was Theodore at 6M before...not that it matters, but still interesting.
Pretty sure he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Meh.....one years worst UFA list could be next years UFA bargains list.

If Gionta goes out and get 30+ goals and 60+ points, I doubt he would still be on the list. Cammy goes a point a game, and all of a sudden, his deal doesn't look bad.

Gotta let them play a little hockey with their new teams, before you can really deem a move good or bad.
The only reason Mark Streit's name wasn't laughed out of existence on here last year was because there was a more ridiculous contract and name in Jeff Finger for everyone to entertain themselves with, and now Isles fans are delighted to have Streit in the mix for the price they've paid. We'll see what happens this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
As soon as the reporter said about Chris Neil he lost all credibility.

"Neil has 30 points in his past 128 NHL games and has never had more than 33 in a season."

And we all know that Chris Neil is in the NHL to put points on the board.

He even took a paycut.
How is this a bad contract ?
I would have appluded Gainey if he had signed Neil to that exact contract. He's a very versatile, tough guy who can suit up just fine in the current NHL.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:20 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
frolov isn't exactly chopped liver...
Agreed, but he ain't no Iginla.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
So you think Gionta > Kovalev?You, my friend, have lost all credibility.

Depends...If you want a flashy perimeter player, Kovalev's your guy. If you prefer a player with less style but more substance, Gionta's your guy.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Probably already said, but, where's Kovalev? I think that's a bad contract, but i guess not long enough to make the cut?

Markowicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Kafka

Quote:

Think what you want, but at 36 years old, Kovalev isn't worth 5M$ at all. And it will even be more evident at 37 years old. The guy is losing progressively his skating capacity, and while he remains very effective on the PP, its play at 5-on-5 is going downward.

I repeat it. Hockey isn't only about scoring goals. It's about being more usefull scoring goals, and preventing the opponent from scoring them at the same time. Gionta not only scores goals, but he has weels and he can play on the PK. A complete player. And that doesn't prevent him from getting similar stats as Kovalev did last season. The guy is in his prime to add to the argument.

For all those reasons, I think Gionta at 5M$ is a way much better deal than Kovalev at 5M$.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:31 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Millers Chin View Post
Colton Orr making $1M as their #8 worst contract is a joke.
Agreed. That's well below the NHl average and he was a UFA. He may be a 4th liner, but he's a legit heavyweight. Look what Chris Neil got.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Jedrik

I don't get how Havlat's is all that generous. He's making 1/3 less than he would have if he had a healthy history. He's missed an average of roughly 1/3 per season over the last three seasons. Not exactly Gaborik money and yet Gab has his own injury problems. Seems pretty sane to me.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:34 PM
BadKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Think what you want, but at 36 years old, Kovalev isn't worth 5M$ at all. And it will even be more evident at 37 years old. The guy is losing progressively his skating capacity, and while he remains very effective on the PP, its play at 5-on-5 is going downward.

I repeat it. Hockey isn't only about scoring goals. It's about being more usefull scoring goals, and preventing the opponent from scoring them at the same time. Gionta not only scores goals, but he has weels and he can play on the PK. A complete player. And that doesn't prevent him from getting similar stats as Kovalev did last season. The guy is in his prime to add to the argument.

For all those reasons, I think Gionta at 5M$ is a way much better deal than Kovalev at 5M$.
Ya, it's a bit like Koivu vs Gomez. This off season we got younger and faster, but less skilled up-front. I also take Gionta before Kovalev at 5m$, BUT that 5 years scares the **** out of me.

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:37 PM
caps2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
Koivu is not on the list.
Actually I think this list came out before Koivu signed.
Also what's bit funny is that had Gomez been an FA signing and not a trade, he would have probably made the list. So the top line of the Habs would all be there!
But I tend to disagree on Cammalleri, I think the guy will be Montreal's top scorer this season. Even if he doesn't get as many points as with Calgary.
It will be a tough season for the Habs though, you can't just throw out half your team and replace them with players from all over the league and hope to have any kind of chemistry. That will kill them this season, no matter what the talent may be.

caps2010 is offline   Reply With Quote