HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now that I have calmed down...

Old
07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Now that I have calmed down...

I feel a lot better about the direction the team is taking.

Losing Koivu, Higgins and McDonagh were the low points for me and I didn't like the salaries that we are paying Gomez or Gionta... but there are positives.

What I was hoping for was a revamped defense and that is what we got with the signings of Spacek, Mara and Gill. Both our size and our transition game should be better with this group.

We are also younger and faster up front. I don't know if we will score a lot more goals than last year but we should be able to play an up-tempo game and keep the pressure on the other team's D.

Spacek, Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri should help the PP and our bigger D should help the PK. The younger guys like Pacioretty, D'Agostini etc. will have another year under their belt. And we have a new coach who has a reasonable track record.

The future doesn't look that bad

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
There is no reason why it should look bad,yes we lost McDonagh and it sucks but we don't know how he would have turned out to be and also with Subban,Weber and Fisher all on the rise I'm not to worried about our defense in a few years.

I can't wait for the season to begin

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:32 PM
MonacoBlue

Getting Mara really helps solidify the defence, and it honestly makes the team look A TON better. Maybe it's just because I'm a fan of Mara.

Seeing as how we're snapping up Rangers now, I would like to see Bob pick up Betts as well. He's amazing on the PK, and he would help boost Price's stats and subsequently his confidence. Betts is great on faceoffs, too, and he would make the center line that much more solid.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8 View Post
Getting Mara really helps solidify the defence, and it honestly makes the team look A TON better. Maybe it's just because I'm a fan of Mara.

Seeing as how we're snapping up Rangers now, I would like to see Bob pick up Betts as well. He's amazing on the PK, and he would help boost Price's stats and subsequently his confidence. Betts is great on faceoffs, too, and he would make the center line that much more solid.
might be a good idea...

bring him in as a 4th liner, move metro.

he was the leading PKer (toi/game) on the leauges best PK.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:00 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
There is no reason why it should look bad,yes we lost McDonagh and it sucks but we don't know how he would have turned out to be and also with Subban,Weber and Fisher all on the rise I'm not to worried about our defense in a few years.

I can't wait for the season to begin
We can't hog onto ALL of our prospects.

Indeed, it's sometimes better to trade them before we know exactly what they will turn into. (Balej! and I suspect, Higgins two seasons ago, when he was an up and coming top sixers, while he's now clearly a 3rd liner)

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:10 PM
katatoniak

Do all the players we sign this year are team players ? I know Mara is one, Gionta as well. What about Gomez, Cammaleri, Spacek and Gill ?

Thanks for the answer

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:16 PM

LOL it was only a matter of time until the mood of the board changed.

When the Gomez trade happened and 99% of the Habs posters on this board went haywire, I remember saying that 1 week from then we would all look at the moves Gainey did and understand/accept this move. Here we are a bit over a week and that's EXACTLY what's happening.

Gainey gave up alot fo Gomez but he's reinforced that trade x10 with the subsequent moves he's made and I suspect he's not done

Gainey's the man!

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:54 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
I feel a lot better about the direction the team is taking.

Losing Koivu, Higgins and McDonagh were the low points for me and I didn't like the salaries that we are paying Gomez or Gionta... but there are positives.

What I was hoping for was a revamped defense and that is what we got with the signings of Spacek, Mara and Gill. Both our size and our transition game should be better with this group.

We are also younger and faster up front. I don't know if we will score a lot more goals than last year but we should be able to play an up-tempo game and keep the pressure on the other team's D.

Spacek, Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri should help the PP and our bigger D should help the PK. The younger guys like Pacioretty, D'Agostini etc. will have another year under their belt. And we have a new coach who has a reasonable track record.

The future doesn't look that bad
One thing that leaped out at me today in looking at Scott Gomez' stats is that he has 45 points in his last 42 playoff games. It's hard to agree with the criticism that he is "too small" to play well in the playoffs or other tough games.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

The Gomez trade seemed like a lot to pay for, but realistically, it was a seller's market, for top-line centermen (a deal Sather may come to regret, if he cannot replace Gomez with a similar talent). I believe that BG overpaid for Gionta, but when the forward deals are averaged with the defencemen deals, he seems to have gotten his players at market value, at least on average. Spacek and Mara in particular, for what Komi + a scrub would have cost, are good value. Plus he managed to parlay an elite passer into attracting a least one elite shooter, in Camalleri.

Moreover, getting an experienced coach, for the first time in I don't know how long, offers promise in getting the most out of the players who are signed. Money spent on good coaching, in any sport, is money well spent.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jcpenny

The defense is probably the part of all of this shake down. Mix of skill, size and puck moving abilities which is what Martin is looking for. People worry a lot about our lack of size up front but with that defense, it shouldnt be a problem, the puck will not even stay long enough in our zone.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote