HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

THN.com Top 10: Worst UFA contracts

Old
07-10-2009, 01:38 PM
RogerRoeper*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Gee... what about Brian Campbell... what about Vinny????

Cammy's overpayment is slight. And if he can stay at PPG and close to 40 goals, its actually an underpayment.

If one thinks Gionta is overpaid, then Kovalev is overpaid too, at the same level, as their scoring and points average is about the same in the last 5 seasons. Wanna argue over the number of seasons? Kovalev is gonna be 37 soon, while Gionta is in his late 20s....

Before last season, a guy like Marleau was seen as a huge overpayment because he didn't deliver AT ALL. Yet this season he did and no one talks of him as overpaid anymore... get where I'm going here? It's the kind of turnaround that many of these present UFAs can offer. Will Gabby and Havlat be overpayments if they don't get injured and rack up points? Will Cammy and Gionta be overpayments if they can rack up points and repeat their best seasons? Isn't it obvious that this analysis is incomplete and way too premature. But I guess, as usual, THN has their best crystal ball on the job.

One more know-it-all-I'm-better-than-most-GMs-out-there making a stupid article. I can understand for Gabby and Havlat, as they are injury prone and should've taken way shorter contracts, or lesser cap hit. Khabibulyn, not so sure, he had a great season this year and seems back to form, and this present contract is way less an overpayment than the last contract he had. But Chicago paid for the guy who got Tampa a Stanley cup. There's always reasoning behind such signings.

Now what about Brad Richards? If Gionta and Cammy and Gomez are overpayments, then Richards is too.

What about Finger? Does this writer have a very short term memory, or a bias towards the Leafs? I still count him as in the top 5 overpayments.

What about Hammer? Somewhat of an overpayment.

What about Pronger signing for 5 mil per till he's 42 friggin years old????

What about Brière?????

What about friggin Jose Theodore???

Well, you know, the article is concentrated on the PRESENT overpayments of this year's signings, but wouldn't a proper analysis compare it to the previous signings... as many of the contracts mentioned are not as worst as some others we've seen in recent years.

Well it's just based on this year. There's already been several on who's got the worst contracts in the NHL.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps2010 View Post
Actually I think this list came out before Koivu signed.
Why would Koivu's name be anywhere near this list anyway? One year at 3.25 for a second line centre; pretty safe, I'd say.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
frolov isn't exactly chopped liver...
He isn't exactly Iginla...

Plus, Cammy led that team in points. It was not like he was milking anyone.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:02 PM
MathMan

That's okay. Another blogger on THN.com lists one of the Montreal signings as one of the best value signings of the off-season.

For extra amusement, try to guess which one it is before you check.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-signings.html

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:35 PM
guapo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Think what you want, but at 36 years old, Kovalev isn't worth 5M$ at all. And it will even be more evident at 37 years old. The guy is losing progressively his skating capacity, and while he remains very effective on the PP, its play at 5-on-5 is going downward.

I repeat it. Hockey isn't only about scoring goals. It's about being more usefull scoring goals, and preventing the opponent from scoring them at the same time. Gionta not only scores goals, but he has weels and he can play on the PK. A complete player. And that doesn't prevent him from getting similar stats as Kovalev did last season. The guy is in his prime to add to the argument.

For all those reasons, I think Gionta at 5M$ is a way much better deal than Kovalev at 5M$.
I concur. Gionta has much more potential to equal his career-season stats than Kovalev does. He is a lot younger & a mor ecompete player. His explosive speed will be a huge factor - especially with Markov making the break-out pass.

Kovy is a joy to watch on the PP. Everytime he gets the puck you get excited. But his defensive play can be suspect and his fancy plays cause a lot of turnovers.

A less flashy, faster, younger Gionta seems like a better deal.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Saint B Hab

Send a message via MSN to Saint B Hab
Well I guessed wrong. lol. I don't even listen to THN etc anymore. No point.

Saint B Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:52 PM
DaHabMan

this is the hockey news, that site has lost all credibility over the years imo. doesn't make a difference what they say. They're still right about gionta though but its ufa season, everyone overpays.

DaHabMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Well it's just based on this year. There's already been several on who's got the worst contracts in the NHL.
No **** sherlock.... that might be why I added at the end ""Well, you know, the article is concentrated on the PRESENT overpayments of this year's signings, but wouldn't a proper analysis compare it to the previous signings... as many of the contracts mentioned are not as worst as some others we've seen in recent years.""

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:24 PM
theboss*

I hate the Gionta contract!

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
I can't believe people are getting all defensive over Gainey being called out on the Gionta contract. That contract is insanely high.

All you people defending it are the same people who would be laughing your ass off if Toronto or Boston signed him to that same deal.
Well, the yardstick for laughing off an ass has to be the Blake contract.

I could see someone arguing that Gionta is a better player, and younger than Blake was when he signed (not even sure about that actually). Still, I find it a little Blake-ish.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:28 PM
DeVries*

Gionta for 5M$ a year anytime before Kovalev, Tanguay or Koivu. Watch him crash the net like he is 6'3.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:34 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Well, the yardstick for laughing off an ass has to be the Blake contract.

I could see someone arguing that Gionta is a better player, and younger than Blake was when he signed (not even sure about that actually). Still, I find it a little Blake-ish.

THe Blake contract is exaggerated. He gets 4 million per and had a very good season last year.

Old
07-10-2009, 09:34 PM
hotcarle

One of my favourite parts of the article is when they mention that Cammalleri has only had 2 point per game seasons.
He has played a full 5 seasons in the NHL.

#1 should still be Jeff Finger, even if it is a year later.

This Toronto bias is why I canceled my Hockey News subscription, that and their lackluster sales promotions "subscribe for a year, pay 4% more than the cover price and get a worthless keychain that you already got last year!"

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Iwishihadacup

I like how they rate everyone before they play a single game

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:21 PM
panorama01*

I see someone mentioned inflation. The real risk is deflation. There's evidence of this already with figures showing that people are paying down debts instead of spending. Stimulus is an attempt to fight deflationary pressures...

Still, I like the changes. Notice that there are only two players on the team obtained before Gainey - Markov and Plekanec. That's a five year plan for you.

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
I can't believe people are getting all defensive over Gainey being called out on the Gionta contract. That contract is insanely high.

All you people defending it are the same people who would be laughing your ass off if Toronto or Boston signed him to that same deal.
He's overpaid by what? 500K? I can't see how he would have had less than 4.5 millions elsewhere. We have to overpay a bit to get players via free agency so as long as they are not too overpaid, I'm fine with that! As for Cammalarri, I don't think he would have had less then 5.5 millions...

All that matters is that we are a better team than last year...we are also building a core for at least 5 years. I'm fine with that...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:40 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
No **** sherlock.... that might be why I added at the end ""Well, you know, the article is concentrated on the PRESENT overpayments of this year's signings, but wouldn't a proper analysis compare it to the previous signings... as many of the contracts mentioned are not as worst as some others we've seen in recent years.""

Yes I know which is why I stated there had already been several articles on the worst contracts overall in the NHL. But thanks for being so rude.

Old
07-10-2009, 10:42 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
This Toronto bias is why I canceled my Hockey News subscription, that and their lackluster sales promotions "subscribe for a year, pay 4% more than the cover price and get a worthless keychain that you already got last year!"
Oh please. THN knocks the Leafs plenty. I'd argue they stuck Colton Orr there just so you Hab fans wouldn't accuse them of being biased.

Old
07-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
THe Blake contract is exaggerated. He gets 4 million per and had a very good season last year.
Could be, but I still find it comparable to the Gionta contract. Hopefully I'll be saying about the Gionta contract what you're saying about the Blake contract.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I like how they rate everyone before they play a single game
Not only that but the best available players in this years FA are on that list? How does that make any sense.Ok Gionta but Cammalleri isn't a bad signing and how the hell is Havlat a bad signing? Don't really care about THN,I like what this team has done and that's all that matters

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 09:01 AM
hotcarle

Quote:
Oh please. THN knocks the Leafs plenty. I'd argue they stuck Colton Orr there just so you Hab fans wouldn't accuse them of being biased.
They knock the leafs because they have to... they're terrible. They're going to have a real hard time scoring goals, which is a requirement to win games.

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:47 AM
xposbrad

They should really only have top 5 worst ufa signings because some of those contracts are not really that bad. Gionta is overpaid we all agree but he's still relatively young and can win you games, and we've seen if he clicks with the right linemate has the potential to put up decent numbers. How much is he overpaid, probably 500-750k a year, but he won't lose you hockey games, he's responsible on D.

The #1 worst offseason signing was Komisarek, 5 yrs 22.5m. They probably paid him 1.5m/yr too much, especially for what he brings. I like the fact Gainey picked up guys like Mara/Gill , short term deals, and very affordable. Those are probably some of the better signings this offseason by any team. Mara is probably the best value right now.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
So people think Gionta's contract is good? It's awful unless he comes back to scoring 35-40 which hasn't happened but one time in his career. He's overpaid by a good 1M-1.5M and at 1 year too long on the term.

Along with Gomez's contract Gainey really put himself into a corner for the next 5 yrs.

Agreed !! People who thinks that Gionta's contract is good, are the biased fanboy/girl and are out of their mind !! If Brian Gionta would've signed this contract with for example the Leafs or the Bruins, eveybody here would be laughing out loud and mocking all over the place how Gionta got grossly overpaid !!

Gionta to me looks like Sergei Samsonov scenario (not the same kind of player, but the same contract that failed miserably) all over again. He is signed 5 millions for the next 5 years !!!! HEELLOOOO !! What's the chance that at 32-34 years old he keeps the same production pace ?! Heck, I'd be surprise if he earns more than 60 points next season, let alone in 3-4 years !!

Which means, Gomez and Gionta together eats 12+millions of the cap space alone !! That's insane overpayment for two guys that aren't even in the top 40 forwards of this league !!

That contract was embarrassing plain and simple... and the truth is Giving 5 millions a year for the next 5 years to a dwarf is never a good thing !! Open you're eyes people !!

So yes, Gionta is easilly in the top 2 of the worst contracts signed on the UFA market this year. Maybe not next year, but definitely in 3-4 years.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Agreed !! People who thinks that Gionta's contract is good, are the biased fanboy/girl and are out of their mind !! If Brian Gionta would've signed this contract with for example the Leafs or the Bruins, eveybody here would be laughing out loud and mocking all over the place how Gionta got grossly overpaid !!

Gionta to me looks like Sergei Samsonov scenario (not the same kind of player, but the same contract that failed miserably) all over again. He is signed 5 millions for the next 5 years !!!! HEELLOOOO !! What's the chance that a 32-34 years old he keeps the same production pace ?! Heck, I'd be surprise if he earns more than 60 points this year, let alone in 3-4 years !!

Which means, Gomez and Gionta together eats 12+millions of the cap space alone !! That's insane overpayment for two guys that aren't even in the top 40 forwards of this league !!

That contract was embarrassing plain and simple... and the truth is Giving 5 millions a year for the next 5 years to a dwarf is never a good thing !! Open you're eyes people !!

So yes, Gionta is easilly in the top 2 of the worst contracts signed on the UFA market this year. Maybe not next year, but definitely in 3-4 years.
I don't know if i've ever agreed with one of your takes before,
but in this instance you are 100% right.

gionta is a very nice player to have, but not at anything close to 5M. He was not worth the 4M he was making in NJ, hence why they had almost no intention of re-signing him.

Gainey tied us into a very long and very big contract that has way more potential to burn us down the road than it does to pay off.

We can hope that gionta up's his production from the past 3 seasons, but it's not very likely (people seem to ignore that he played with Gomez 3 years ago as well, and didn't have nearly the same results that he had in that miracle season the year earlier).

If he simply stay consistent, and produces at the 20-25g, 45-60pt clip he's held in the past 3 years, we will have a burdensome contract on our hands. If he declines with age/injury, then we will be flat out hooped.

not a good gamble to make, easily the worst contract handed out this offseason, as of right now. Of course he could surprise (I HOPE!), or some other player could bomb big time, no one knows what will happen with all these players... but it doesn't stop us from looking at the situation (past production, reasonable expectations, contract handed out), and make an informed commentary on what contracts seem "good" and which ones seem "bad".

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Infliction

They make a very good point with Hossa on Chicago; How are the Hawks gonna re-sign Keith, Toews and Kane next off-season? They won't be able to keep one of Toews or Kane unless they take discount contracts at a short term. If they don't, I expect to see Kane gone. Keith is gonna be real expensive too. It'll be an interesting off-season that's for sure.

Also, just read for the first time Gaborik didn't even watch the Wild's games down the stretch while he was rehabbing his injury? Wow, good teammate. Can't believe he got 7.5 either... When the hell is Sather going to be fired?

Infliction is offline   Reply With Quote