HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Time to sell our Hammer?

Old
07-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Dogbert*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Time to sell our Hammer?

I can't have been the only one to notice that Roman Hamrlik took a definite step back last year. While he's still valuable on the powerplay and put up good numbers, he made a lot more dumb mistakes than he did the year before, and his $5.5M contract is going to hold us back this year and next if we're as close to the cap as my estimates showed. I figure we could probably try out Weber or grab a cheap free agent to take Hamrlik's place if he was moved, which would leave us with a bit more maneuverability under the cap.

So, with that in mind, should we look at trading Hammer, and what could we get for him? Does he have some value, or would we be looking at getting what Chicago got for Aucoin a few years back (POS + 7th-rounder)?

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:30 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

i think losing hamrlik might make us a bit vulnerable when it comes to stability on the backend. Tho his cap hit sucks.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Hamrlik rules.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:32 PM
prucha0708*

no one will take him unless they give salary back

Rozsival and a pick for hamrlik

prucha0708* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:34 PM
j c petit
Locked-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
I can't have been the only one to notice that Roman Hamrlik took a definite step back last year.
You know, perspective is a funny thing and I respect yours. That being said, I thought he got his act together later in the year and finished fairly well when several other D's were injured (Markov, Bouillon) or struggling (Komitraitor, Breezer, O'Byrne).

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:37 PM
m00ks

With all due respect you're insane. Take out Hammer in that line up and you're decent defense corps suddenly looks thin. Weber is still a weak sauce along the boards, there's absolutely no chance of him manning Hammer's minutes.

Why does everyone think players are incapable of bouncing back and that we should trade them the minute they struggle? Hammer stabilizes that d-corps, believe that.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:39 PM
sukimono

Eventually yeah, we will have to.

sukimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Go Habs Go

I would if we could. I can't watch a player give up a race for the puck time after time because he's afraid of getting hit even though he's CLEARLY winning the race. These are the types of guys we need to get rid of but with his salary, that will never happen.

It kills me that a guy Koivu's size is so fearless yet Hammer is huge but plays even smaller then Saku. Its unacceptable, if every player on our team was like him, we would never even make the playoffs.

Skill is important but to win the Stanley Cup, skill isn't the most important thing. Still necessary but character is important.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:46 PM
DaHabMan

the whole team sucked last year, lets trade price, halak, kost. bros, gorges.......he had one down year and you cant say he is on the decline until you see him play this year. ! bad year does not make you suck the next years.

DaHabMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:50 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I would if we could. I can't watch a player give up a race for the puck time after time because he's afraid of getting hit even though he's CLEARLY winning the race. These are the types of guys we need to get rid of but with his salary, that will never happen.

It kills me that a guy Koivu's size is so fearless yet Hammer is huge but plays even smaller then Saku. Its unacceptable, if every player on our team was like him, we would never even make the playoffs.

Skill is important but to win the Stanley Cup, skill isn't the most important thing. Still necessary but character is important.
Soft like this?

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Prudentius

Quote:

Whattt?

I think you don't have a clue what your talking about, because Hammer has been one of the player the most willing to battles for pucks along the boards.

Take your Koivu-rosed glass off. Notice how we sign 6 UFAs in Montreal, a first? Yep.... and it happens when Koivu leaves . Tells you all you need to know about Koivu.

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

I would trade hammer on one and only one condition. We have something coming back of interest. What do I mean? Hammer for a pick or prospect is nice and all, but we need someone to play D. Having a young up and coming blueliner in say, jack johnson, sure. I mean, the trade would have to be balanced out but still. But hammer for uhh some 6th d-man who has a 3 mil cap hit anyway. What's the point, we shed salary but get weaker.

If we lose him, we need a fair replacement asap, younger version of him, or just someone who can bring something we need to the table(big physical 2nd line center, shutdown d-man). If not, there has to be someone on the market who can, if there isn't. Then well, we're going in circles, sure, we're losing a big contract for a player who's not in his prime, but unless we plan to do something constructive with the trade or FA signing to make use of the extra cap hit, keep him.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:00 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

I strongly disagree, Hammer is the complete package. He's not a star, but he does everything well but not great. Two-way d-man, size, hockey sense, good locker room guy, mentor and physical. He's an excellent d-man, without a doubt in my mind.

Quote:
Scouting Report

Assets
Has all the physical tools every organization looks for in a top defenseman. Possesses a terrific point shot, a nasty streak and great skating ability.
If he gets to play with an offensive D, i could see him putting up even more points than he has for us.

Old
07-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Clumsyhab

He might be 1-2 millions overpaid, but since we won't get a better player in return, let's keep him.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
the whole team sucked last year, lets trade price, halak, kost. bros, gorges.......he had one down year and you cant say he is on the decline until you see him play this year. ! bad year does not make you suck the next years.
It's less about the gameplay and more about the cap hit. Right now, we have five guys at cap hits of $5M or more...

Gomez - $7.375M
Cammy - $6M
Gionta - $5M
Markov - $5.75M
Hammer - $5.5M

... for a total cap hit of $29.625M.

There have been rumours of a cap drop to somewhere around $50M next year if the economy doesn't turn around. If that happens and the five guys I mentioned are all still here, then we'll have around $20M left to pay the other 15 guys in the lineup. That's a problem.

I'm just thinking that Hamrlik's the most expendable one of them all, and that it's easier to ditch the contract now than it will be in a year, when almost every team will be in some sort of cap hell and unwilling to bail us out.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:20 AM
InglewoodJack

He's worth more to the team than any trade could give. Plus, I think Gainey is making a one-year all out run, à la Florida Marlins 1997 (For those who don't know baseball, the Marlins were a horrible team, and spent obscene amounts of money getting the best players out there, and then world a world series only to shed their team and become one of the worst teams in the league shortly after.)

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:20 AM
DaHabMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
It's less about the gameplay and more about the cap hit. Right now, we have five guys at cap hits of $5M or more...

Gomez - $7.375M
Cammy - $6M
Gionta - $5M
Markov - $5.75M
Hammer - $5.5M

... for a total cap hit of $29.625M.

There have been rumours of a cap drop to somewhere around $50M next year if the economy doesn't turn around. If that happens and the five guys I mentioned are all still here, then we'll have around $20M left to pay the other 15 guys in the lineup. That's a problem.

I'm just thinking that Hamrlik's the most expendable one of them all, and that it's easier to ditch the contract now than it will be in a year, when almost every team will be in some sort of cap hell and unwilling to bail us out.
after markov, he's our most stable d-man and plays a tough game in the corners. You take him off and our defense is very much softer. Plus, he has 2 years left on his deal. If things do not work out for the team next year, he can always be traded next off-season. Teams are more willing to take him with one year left than with 2 imo.

DaHabMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Biggsy

I don't mind Hammer still he's a big body on d has a bomb of a shot and he's a veteran which always helps on a fairly young team.

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Leave our defense as it is, please.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Hamrlik will be just fine...

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:38 AM
MaKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudentius View Post
Whattt?

I think you don't have a clue what your talking about, because Hammer has been one of the player the most willing to battles for pucks along the boards.

Take your Koivu-rosed glass off. Notice how we sign 6 UFAs in Montreal, a first? Yep.... and it happens when Koivu leaves . Tells you all you need to know about Koivu.
does it tell us that his contract ended at the same time as alot of other players?

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Hamrlik is a key part of our d. We need him there, but at the same time we need his contract gone to help. I doubt we'll be able to get a dman of his quality in return. A guy who can hit, make a first pass, put up points and his shot isn't too bad. He put up 30+ points last year, even though his defensive game took a hit, but so did the entire habs team.

This year around, the weakest dman he plays will will probably be Mara, Gill, or Spacek. All better than Brisebois, Bouillon, Weber (rookie and all, I still love this kid and think he'll be money for us) and O'bryne. He played with the others but not as much as he did with these guys.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:41 AM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
He's worth more to the team than any trade could give. Plus, I think Gainey is making a one-year all out run, à la Florida Marlins 1997 (For those who don't know baseball, the Marlins were a horrible team, and spent obscene amounts of money getting the best players out there, and then world a world series only to shed their team and become one of the worst teams in the league shortly after.)
Stanley cup followed by the first pick in the following year's draft? Sounds good to me.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

It really helps when Hamrlik is paired with garbage all year and the team expected more offense out of him (he was all over the place at the start of the season) with the loss of Streit.

Anyway, Calgary was the same way. Good season, then bad. I have all the confidence in the world that he will be lights out this year. Especially if he get gets paired with Mara.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 12:44 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudentius View Post
Whattt?

God, the guy leaves and people still find excuses to hate him. We signed 6 UFAs because we had cap space. Koivu didn't push them away.