HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Visiting From Out of Town/Ticket Thread

Old
05-11-2009, 08:43 PM
garrett s

vCash: 500
probably a ****tsburgh fan trying to jinx us

garrett s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Tooold

Sorry guys...

Will come after the game...

Dont be worry, i'm a Montreal Canadiens fan....but hate Crosby...

Go Caps Go

Tooold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Tooold

Need one Ticket for Game #7...

Pm me Please...

Thanks for your help !!!

Go Caps Go !!!

Old
05-11-2009, 11:00 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Good luck with that. The scalpers will be hard-pressed to find tickets for Wednesday. You're most likely going to have to pay a fortune even if you're fortunate enough to find any.

My advice is to just go to the the Greene Turtle, RFD, or Rocket Bar to watch the game. All are within a block or two of the Verizon Center and shoudl be a good time.

Where are you staying "near" Washington? There's some other good bars in Alexandria and Arlington to watch the game.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Tooold

Thanks for the advice, pretty cool.

I was in Tampa Bay yesterday and i'm driving to Montreal...i'm a big hockey fan.

Tommorow, going to Raleigh to see game #6, pretty easy to have tickets over there.

I will probably try to have a scalper tickets...or going to a bar in Washington.

But going there wednesday morning for sure.

Any good hotel near there ? Around 100$

Thanks again

Old
05-11-2009, 11:54 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Don't really know about hotels in the District, but if you check Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, etc. for one, be sure to look into places in Alexandria and Arlington as well. They'll probably be cheaper, and if you're near a Metro stop, it's a very easy ride into DC.

Old
05-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Tooold

If anybody have a spare ticket for tommorow, just call me 514-972-1403

I'll be in Washington at 12:00.

Thanks Guys,

Martin

Old
05-13-2009, 11:31 AM
twominute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Don't really know about hotels in the District, but if you check Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, etc. for one, be sure to look into places in Alexandria and Arlington as well. They'll probably be cheaper, and if you're near a Metro stop, it's a very easy ride into DC.
Yeah I would try Crystal City(Arlington, VA), there are a bunch of hotels there its in between the airport and DC and only a couple of metro stops from the Verizon Center. In town you won't get anything for $100

twominute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Synergy27

Segway Tour/DC Bachelor Party

Hey guys,

I come in peace, yet again. I found some great info. on this board awhile back for some things to do during a business trip to Alexandria. I was hoping you'd be able to help again with a bachelor party I'm planning in the area. We're (a bunch of mid-late 20s NY metro-area guys) coming down the weekend of the 20th for the Nationals/Jays game. I was looking for some advice on things to do during the day/night.

That Ovechkin video inspired me to book a segway tour. Is this a good idea for a group in our age bracket? I heard they built a new beer garden outside of Nationals stadium. Is it any good? What about night life (standard bachelor party stuff, if you know what I mean)? We're staying in a hotel in Rosslyn, right over the Key Bridge. I've heard that this is an easy walk to Georgetown, but we have metro access too so I don't think we're limited to that neighborhood.

Any advice you guys could provide would be awesome. Thanks.

- Jay

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Synergy27

Sorry about the OT post. I didn't realize you guys had a post for stuff like this (I read through the stickys assuming it would be up there).

Old
06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

You're equidistant from DC and AC, and you choose DC? Madness.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:25 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

NJ "entertainment" is limited. Believe it or not, DC is better. (Of course, Manhattan is much better).

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
You're equidistant from DC and AC, and you choose DC? Madness.
AC as in Atlantic City? We go there constantly, and everyone works and plays in Manahattan every day. We're looking to do something different, and the bachelor is a big baseball fan and wants to check out some stadiums around the country. DC seemed like a very logical choice.

Old
07-10-2009, 02:46 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Yet another visiting DC thread

Hey Caps fans, me and some of my friends are taking a trip to the Capital next weekend and I was hoping for any advice on places to go. We're already doing most of the popular (free) stuff like the Air and Space, Library of Congress, war memorials, history museums, Gettysburg, so on and so forth. Are there any places you guys can recommend that are off the beaten path, or any places that are absolutely packed with tourists in the summer? Can you recommend any good cheap food joints and maybe one or two higher-end restaurants?

Thanks in advance.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Hey Caps fans, me and some of my friends are taking a trip to the Capital next weekend and I was hoping for any advice on places to go. We're already doing most of the popular (free) stuff like the Air and Space, Library of Congress, war memorials, history museums, Gettysburg, so on and so forth. Are there any places you guys can recommend that are off the beaten path, or any places that are absolutely packed with tourists in the summer? Can you recommend any good cheap food joints and maybe one or two higher-end restaurants?

Thanks in advance.
The most crowded places (obviously the most popular) are the Air & Space Museum, American History, and Natural History Museums. They'll be overrun on the weekend. Unless you're willing to wait 2+ hours, the National Archives aren't going to be an option.

If you head north into Chinatown (walk up 7th street or get off at the Gallery Place metro stop), the National Portrait Gallery and International Spy Museum are a little of the beaten path, and definitely worth going to. The Portrait Gallery is part of the Smithsonian, so it's free, but the Spy Museum charges an admission. Arlington National Cemetery is another place that's worth going, and it's not in the District.

What type of food would you be looking for in terms of restaurants?

Old
07-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post

Thanks in advance.
Gettysburg? That's not really close. The best local food chain is 5 Guys. Good museums are the air and space and natural history. They just reopened the american history museum in the last year, and it's pretty cool but super amazing. If you are into history of that era, I would recommend the National Cemetery in Arlington

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 01:37 PM
sk84fun_dc

Assuming the Ohio address in the profile is current, Gettysburg is not too far out of the way on the way in or out of town

Outside walking around sites - I'm a fan of the FDR Memorial near the Tidal Basin. Not your standard Memorial, IMO. In general I like walking to a bunch of them, and the walk around the Tidal Basin including the FDR and Jefferson Memorial is enjoyable both during the day and also worth visiting at night.

If you like the outdoors, I also recommend going to Great Falls, usually I recommend the Maryland side, which is actually the C&A National Park, just to see something most don't expect to find right in this area. link and link to Great Falls park VA

The Museums, as long as you can deal with the crowds, are worth going to see. remember there are now 2 Air and Space museums, the one on Independence Mall, which like the other Smithsonian Museums is free and the one out by Dulles Airport (musuem is free, cost for parking.)

Plenty to do in the city, but Mt Vernon is an option outside of the city, too.

There are plenty of recommendations for food, near the arena, and sites to see around the city in this thread, plus DC is obviously a big tourist destination, so there are a lot of online guides to the city to help you out.

One piece of advice although it may be too late, some sites in the city require timed tickets if you want to do more than just see the site from the outside and most, if not all, now have options to purchase tickets in advance online. The ticket itself is free, you are paying the service fees to buy it in advance. There are likely some sites that explain this better than I can typing quickly here, but for example, if you want a tour of Ford's Theater or to go in and up the Washington Monument, you need a ticket. If you just want to walk around the outside, no ticket needed. Timed tickets are handed out same day first come first serve, but you have to get there very early in the morning to claim the tickets and then likely return later in the day for your time slot. Some of the sites require all in your party to be there to get the tickets; some let one person pick up a few tickets. If you have an interest in a site like that, check the Check the National Park Service website in advance to see what your options are. It is also possible to book tours of the US Capitol online.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Langway
Intangibles

If you're really into the Civil War and don't mind the extra travel then Antietam is a pretty good spot to take in. Not that crowded typically.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 02:00 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
If you're really into the Civil War and don't mind the extra travel then Antietam is a pretty good spot to take in. Not that crowded typically.
OT: fwiw, when someone has time, we probably need to pull some of the better information from this thread, add some links and post a thread before next season starts...no rush

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 03:10 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
OT: fwiw, when someone has time, we probably need to pull some of the better information from this thread, add some links and post a thread before next season starts...no rush
I've pulled together some information about places to visit, which I'll post in a few.

I haven't done the same with food/nightlife yet, as that's potentially a much bigger project.

Old
07-11-2009, 03:12 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

General Information

Official Tourism site of Washington, DC

DC Metro Information

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 07-11-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old
07-11-2009, 03:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Other Popular Sites

Old
07-11-2009, 03:45 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Caps Related Destinations

Verizon Center

Kettler Capitals Iceplex (Practice Facility)