HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In perspective

Old
07-11-2009, 11:35 AM
PricePkPatch*

vCash: 500
In perspective

I'd like to know if someone ever saw such a sudden and major overhaul of a team's rooster?

Many people are worried about the void in the team's leadership structure that the replacement has created, between seasons. On one hand, the fact that it happens before even the start of the pre-season, it reassures me that our team will have the time to find it's spirit. One the other hand, I just don't know the effect of such... re-engineering of a team's core will have.

But there is one aspect that I don't know how it will play out: our new coach, Jacques Martin. Usually, when a new coach sets in, he has to work with a team structure already existing, and work with it. But now...

We have a new coach, a new team's core. Is it an opportunity, or just a big risk? Is the tabula rasa an opportunity for JM to have a team more receptive to his coaching and leadership, or does it mean he will have to work even more to gather the pieces?

Has anyone ever saw such an odd situation? Are we writing new lines in the Hockey Bible?

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

I see it as an opportunity...

I don't think we had a real system under Carbonneau, but now, with Martin, we know what to expect. Gainey signed players who will fit well within that system. Gomez and Gionta are a proven duo who got career years under a similar system. Cammellari is another player who should be good in a puck possession type of game.

On defense, Spacek will help a lot and Mara can get the puck out of the zone too.

All in all, even with so many new players, I don't think the team will take too much time to get chemistry. Anyways, it's not like our lines were really set last year.

Gomez and Gionta should play together
Plekanec will play at least one player who played with him last year
Latendresse and Lapierre will most likely start the year together

So 2/3 of each of the first three lines will have played together at some point. That's not bad!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Kafka

I am still convinced that Gomez wasn't plan A and that all the rumors around LeCavalier were right. Remember those rumors were not only from Montreal, but TB and NY also.

The owners in TB decided to keep the team's value to it's maximum, and honestly, they have all the tools to have eventually a dominating team with their last two first round picks.

That said, we have now the team we will have for the next 5 years. By the end of those five years, guys like Patioretty, Latendresse and Maxwell will be top two lines players. SK, Plekanec, Halak might be players you won't see there while Weber, Subban will probably still be around. A question mark for O'Byrne However. We might have Yemelin too in that roster.

At the end of those five years, guys like Kristo, LeBlanc, Avstin, Nattinen will be trying to make the team and to stay on the roster.

What management need to focus on now is to make sure there will be year after year rookies able to make the jump in the NHL. That means not only draft well (and thus increase Timmins salary to make sure he sticks to this team), but also make sure to integrate those players and to make sure they don't party every night.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
I'd like to know if someone ever saw such a sudden and major overhaul of a team's rooster?

Many people are worried about the void in the team's leadership structure that the replacement has created, between seasons. On one hand, the fact that it happens before even the start of the pre-season, it reassures me that our team will have the time to find it's spirit. One the other hand, I just don't know the effect of such... re-engineering of a team's core will have.

But there is one aspect that I don't know how it will play out: our new coach, Jacques Martin. Usually, when a new coach sets in, he has to work with a team structure already existing, and work with it. But now...

We have a new coach, a new team's core. Is it an opportunity, or just a big risk? Is the tabula rasa an opportunity for JM to have a team more receptive to his coaching and leadership, or does it mean he will have to work even more to gather the pieces?

Has anyone ever saw such an odd situation? Are we writing new lines in the Hockey Bible?
It would be a big risk if we hired a coach after the players signed. Gainey pulled off amazing moves this offseason.

He started by hiring the coach before signing UFA's so the UFA's would know ahead of time what system they were looking at. He made the trade for a legit number 1 center (even in his worst season #29th top scoring center). This center was the reason Cammy and Gio came here. Them and Spacek and Gill were the reasons Moen and Mara came here, and then, all of a sudden, we not only have a cup contending team, but people are saying we can be top in the East once again.

We have a star in Cammy (27 and already 2 80+ seasons with an injury riddled season in between... who was the last hab to do that?), and first line center, and a above average D corp that might make JOSH GORGES our number 6 dman... not bad.

In the end, this overhaul was needed, but it had to be done right. Gainey exceeded my expectations and I once again look forward to watching the habs play this season.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 03:34 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
If we are to reflect on the last five seasons really, we have only looked great one of those seasons so I would consider that season an anomaly and say we were good enough to make the playoffs. Now we have changed the face of that team and brought in guys that have SC rings. Leadership is an intangible that is very difficult to gauge. Koivu is a great player, heart and soul but the fact is we have not gotten past the second round, is it his fault alone, no , but the culture is now about work ethic. Koivu two or three seasons ago would be the perfect leader but not today. Can this new, harder working team get us past the second round? Yes, they will this season. I think we have two or three things people may be overlooking.

1. Carey Price - A proven winner at more than one level of the game and can play under pressure if his team is with him.

2. Max Lapierre/ G. Latendresse - A couple of guys that are heart and soul and will bring it this year. Key guys this year in shutting down top offensive lines and PK's.

3 Jacques Martin - brings experience and system to team in need of both. The younger players need direction and JM will show them how to play a more focused game. I do not think there will be as much line juggling once the season starts.

Lastly, I think Chipchura will thrive under JM because he is exactly the type of player JM wants on his team. Defensively responsible with some scoring ability and the desire to win and lead a team. Chipchura has shown he has those qualities at more than one level of the game.

Last edited by habfan1968: 07-11-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: grammer
habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Craig71

I think this is all part of Mr Gaineys 10 year plan.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I think this is all part of Mr Gaineys 10 year plan.
how dare you...

everyone knows that there is no such thing. Besides, it takes AT LEAST 11 years to build a contender, or didn't you know that.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
??

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
how dare you...

everyone knows that there is no such thing. Besides, it takes AT LEAST 11 years to build a contender, or didn't you know that.
LOLOLOL I know just about as much as everyone else on this bored, I mean board, Nobody saw all this coming, Carbo knew, he said Gainey would find his bad apples and that it would all come out this summer, he probably knew none of these guys were coming back even while he was still coach, but Gaineys firing of Carbo was the first step in the cleanup process, maybe he did'nt see that coming.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote