HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stopping on ice?

Old
07-09-2009, 07:21 PM
XxLidstromxX

vCash: 500
Stopping on ice?

Well to me it's much more different then on roller. I can't get the technique down, I have watched tons of videos and every time I try the method from that video I end up having the same problem...
Every time I try to stop I end up turning not sliding.
Any suggestions, help, or tips?

XxLidstromxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Placebo Effect

http://www.adultsafehockey.net/hm/bl...sid=275&id=490

Practice, practice, practice. Maybe you're subconsciously worried about falling so you turn instead. You also may want to think about taking a powerskating course as well. Start at a slow speed until you get the hang of it then go quicker and quicker.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
This is off topic but what method do you use to stop in roller?

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 07:39 PM
XxLidstromxX

should my torso be facing the way I want to stop? Or should it be parallel with my legs?

Old
07-09-2009, 07:40 PM
XxLidstromxX

Honestly in roller I usually don't stop... If I ever do it's kind of like the ice hockey stop just a bit different. Tried it on ice and failed epically.

Old
07-09-2009, 07:49 PM
IniNew

The trick I used to learn how to stop on my weak side was to stand still, and slide the foot you want to lead the stop with out. Get the feeling of it sliding on the ice, and learn the lean point.

After you do that a few times, take one small stride and as you begin to turn, preform the same foot motion that you did while standing still.

Slowly start adding more and more speed. Then after that its all repetition.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 07:52 PM
XxLidstromxX

It's nothing about my weak side, it's just in general. But nice tip, will try it.

Old
07-09-2009, 08:34 PM
ki11joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydevs9 View Post
This is off topic but what method do you use to stop in roller?
It's probably going to be a power slide.

But be careful if you're going between ice and roller. The number one biggest mental problem people have when going from one to the other is stopping. Roller guys will try to stop by doing a quick turn on the ice and end up falling. Ice guys will try to parallel stop on wheels as if they're on ice with their edges and hurt their ankles and such.

ki11joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Frankie Spankie

I had a lot of problems when I first started and it probably took me about a month to stop properly and even then, I'd still fall a lot. The only thing I can suggest is trying to get to the rink early and be the first one on the ice. Just skate from blue line to center line back and forth trying to stop on opposite feet both times.

When I first was able to stop, I actually couldn't do it when I tried but only during the game when I didn't think about it. It's really just practice.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
I had a lot of problems when I first started and it probably took me about a month to stop properly and even then, I'd still fall a lot. The only thing I can suggest is trying to get to the rink early and be the first one on the ice. Just skate from blue line to center line back and forth trying to stop on opposite feet both times.

When I first was able to stop, I actually couldn't do it when I tried but only during the game when I didn't think about it. It's really just practice.
That's a great point, the more you think about it the more you are likely to fall I have found. Just clear your mind and do it. Get any worries about falling out of your mind.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 10:48 PM
noobman

Stopping really comes with comfort on your edges. All you can do is keep practicing until you get it right. Remember that when stopping with your left foot forward you're using the inside edge of your left blade and the outside edge of your right blade. When stopping with your right foot forward you're using the inside edge of your right blade and the outside edge of your left blade.

To me it sounds like you're hesistant and nervous about falling, so you're making a slow and deliberate turn with your foot which results in a turn. Like somebody else here said... it works better when you don't think about it. Just skate in a straight line and STOP.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Ragss

Start with snow plow stops so you get a feel for your blades sliding sideways.

Ragss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 06:29 AM
Gino 14

Try doing step overs along the blue line. Stepping side to side gets you used to shifting your weight and balance and makes you keep your chest facing forward so you stay balanced. Take 3 or 4 steps one direction and then reverse directions. As you improve and you are able to do them faster, you will also start to change direction faster, the same motion as a hockey stop.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Escapades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApogeeRocket View Post
It's probably going to be a power slide.

But be careful if you're going between ice and roller. The number one biggest mental problem people have when going from one to the other is stopping. Roller guys will try to stop by doing a quick turn on the ice and end up falling. Ice guys will try to parallel stop on wheels as if they're on ice with their edges and hurt their ankles and such.

The thought of what that stop just did to his wheels makes me cringe

Escapades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:37 PM
XxLidstromxX

Yea I use a powerslide stop in roller, tried it on ice and it doesn't work lol.
I'm about to go play in 30 minutes or so and I'll take all these tips into mind when I try.

Thanks guys.

Old
07-10-2009, 12:40 PM
timnsr72

in my opinion you cant think about it, its just something that happens. you also need to commit fully to the stop, my first stop happend after i got a feel for what i need to do at a slow speed, i then went goaline to almost the other goaline at what then was full speed, commited to stoping, as i didnt want to plow into the end boards, and i stoped perfectly

timnsr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:50 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLidstromxX View Post
should my torso be facing the way I want to stop? Or should it be parallel with my legs?
In the beginning at least, I have my torso face the same way as my toes. In other words, as you skate up ice and intend to stop with your right foot first you would quickly pick both feet off the ice (just a very limited amount), turn your hps so you are facing to your left and plant your right foot with the inside edge and the left foot with the outside edge. Your skates should be about shoulder width apart. Don't put the weight on your heals as that's a quick way to go down. your weight should be towards the center of the blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
I was going to suggest the same thing. Basically as you're skating forward, you point your toes inward and scrape the ice. If you ski, it's the same type of concept. This gets you used to edges. As you gain some comfort with your edges you can progress to a traditional hockey stop.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
noobman

Quote:
Yea I use a powerslide stop in roller, tried it on ice and it doesn't work lol.
I'm about to go play in 30 minutes or so and I'll take all these tips into mind when I try.

Thanks guys.
I bet that the powerslide will work once you're strong enough on your edges.... it's probably not the best way to stop though. I'm going to try it the next time I'm on the ice.

Actually, I think that the powerslide technique is going to make learning backwards stopping a bit of a breeze for you (until you're ready to do two-footed backwards hockey stops).

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Devil Dancer

What helped me was my coach explaining that your lead skate should be almost perpendicular to the ice when you start your slide. Your natural instinct is to lean away from the stop, digging in with your skate, but you should actually begin your slide with your skate blade almost straight up and down.

Try that.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 07:42 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
This is how I learned. The key for me was getting used to the skate blade making that sliding motion. I see a lot of learners trying to stop on a dime the way they see the more advanced skaters do it, and they just never get confident enough in their edges.

Also OP, if you're turning, that means you're probably sitting back on your heels. Shift your weight forwards, but be sure you aren't leaning over your feet.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Hockeyfan68

Trust your edges .... there it is, that simple. Start out slow and work your way to a higher speed.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 01:17 PM
XxLidstromxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
What helped me was my coach explaining that your lead skate should be almost perpendicular to the ice when you start your slide. Your natural instinct is to lean away from the stop, digging in with your skate, but you should actually begin your slide with your skate blade almost straight up and down.

Try that.
Hmmm, the perpendicular thing was weird for me. I think I'm going to try the scraping thing with my leg at an angle...

Another question... How do I know which leg to start with? Some guy said your stronger foot should be in front. He said if you skateboard or snowboard use that same stance, I'm a switch skater/boarder.

Old
07-11-2009, 07:40 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

You should not worry about doing a proper hockey stop at first. It's better to work on gaining control over your edges, and then proper stopping will follow naturally with a little practice. A lot of newbies do it so they can show off to their friends and spends endless hours trying. Working on doing crossovers as well as possible is a much better plan.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 01:35 AM
XxLidstromxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
You should not worry about doing a proper hockey stop at first. It's better to work on gaining control over your edges, and then proper stopping will follow naturally with a little practice. A lot of newbies do it so they can show off to their friends and spends endless hours trying. Working on doing crossovers as well as possible is a much better plan.
Thanks for the tip, but I'm really confident with my crossovers, forwards and backwards. I can pivot from front to back and vice versa. Mostly got everything down except turning really sharp and quick, and stopping.

Old
07-12-2009, 01:41 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, but I'm really confident with my crossovers, forwards and backwards. I can pivot from front to back and vice versa. Mostly got everything down except turning really sharp and quick, and stopping.
That's my point exactly. Work on turning really sharp and quickly. That will help you improve as a player and give you a leg up on stopping.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote