HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to sell our Hammer?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2009, 08:02 AM
  #51
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,991
vCash: 500
If they trade Hamrlik away it's because they feel Weber or Subban are ready to step in and do the job,other then that wouldn't make sense.He didn't have the best of seasons last year but he also had to play more after the Komisarek injury.I'm sure he will bounce back especially with this group of D

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 08:32 AM
  #52
SergeiKost99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: canada
Country: Syria
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I just think we have too many bodies on D.

Spacek - Markov
Hamrlik - Mara
Gill - Gorges
O'Byrne, Weber, Subban, Carle

Give the opportunity to someone from within to replace him, just get a 3rd or a 6th for next draft, then if it doesn't work a couple games into the season get some UFA.

If I'm not mistaken he's got some kind of NMC, that would be a slight problem.
How do you come to the point where you think we have too many bodies on D? I think right now our D is great and trading hammer away will definitly hurt our D. Weber and Subban would be better playing in Hamilton for this year with maybe a couple of games in the big league and Carle is no where close to the NHL still 2-3 years away. O'Byrne is the perfect guy to fill in if injuries hit.

The way I look at it is we have 7 NHL defencemen (O'Byrne included) but if we trade Hammer we only have 6 and if injuries hit we don't have another NHL defencemen to provide a smooth transition for the injury.

AND why do we need the cap space now? We have had a lot of turnover and we should take this step by step and see how the turnover works out. I know it would be ideal to get a 2nd line center but don't you think we should wait a few months to see how the off-season moves went? For all we know we could be fine up front but the problem might be at D so trading Hammer (if he is not the problem) would be a bad move.


All I am saying is some of you guys need to take things a little slower and let them play out. There is plenty of time to evaluate the turnover and what we need between now and the trade deadline so there is no rush. It won't be good to trade hammer after an off year & I am sure hammer will bounce back trust me, our D I think will gel fine and they are all team supportive guys!

SergeiKost99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 08:34 AM
  #53
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,648
vCash: 500
Trading Hamrlik would not be a good idea IMO.

I've already expressed my opinion as to why in another thread, but to touch base on it quickly:

We have a well-rounded D corps, and he is still our #2, maybe #3 depending how good Spacek will play for us. He's overpaid, but unless we accept a player of similar abilities we lose on the trade no matter what happens.

As for those paranoid about the cap going down to 50M.. Yes the economy is not the great, but do any of you actually believe for one second the NHLPA and the NHL would allow the entire league to be destroyed by this? Even if certain teams dropped certain players, alot of teams are ALREADY near 50M, the CRAPPY teams like Toronto included. Not every player could be moved, alot of rosters would be in shambles. Alot of attractive places to play, think New York, Detroit, Montreal, Philly, these places will be completely dismantled. These teams bring in the highest revenues in the entire league.

Bettman and the NHLPA will not let the entire dismantling of the league happen because the cap has dropped, they will find a way to circumvent it, the viability of the league will depend on it.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 08:40 AM
  #54
kevinr
Registered User
 
kevinr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStoryBro89 View Post
no one will take him unless they give salary back

Rozsival and a pick for hamrlik
And some think Hammer makes some mistakes.? Rozsival is brutal and grossly overpaid. I don't understand why anyone would want Hammer gone. He's our 2nd best D after Markov. Based on other contracts out there his is not that bad. Besides, he has a no-trade. Not going anywhere.

kevinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 08:54 AM
  #55
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiKost99 View Post
How do you come to the point where you think we have too many bodies on D? ...
That would be because I'm putting Weber in the "Ready for NHL" category and yes O'Byrne is a good 7th now though I don't think at his age he appreciates that very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiKost99 View Post
AND why do we need the cap space now? We have had a lot of turnover and we should take this step by step and see how the turnover works out. I know it would be ideal to get a 2nd line center but ...
That's it, basically if the org decides to send Plek away, and I'm not saying they are likely to or not, we'd have a wooping ~8 mil to get a #2 or a better #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiKost99 View Post
All I am saying is some of you guys need to take things a little slower and let them play out. There is plenty of time to evaluate the turnover and what we need between now and the trade deadline so there is no rush.
Yes I understand what you're saying but you have to consider that trading Hammer close to the deadline might not work at all, because the man has a NMC IIRC. Those become headaches during the season more than before. I think the org is more likely to start camp and the season with that core, but like Habs 4 Life said if they feel Weber or Subban is ready then Hammer becomes expandable. The question is at what price? Better than now or worst? I mean if a team wants him now for a good price, I'm ready to accept the lost.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 09:03 AM
  #56
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate
 
VirginiaMtlExpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
He's an important cog in the defense for now. I would wait until mid-season, and there is evidence both that Mara and Spacek bring what he brings, that Subban is dominating the AHL and can make the jump, and that another team's D corps is decimated enough to overpay as well as take on the salary. Assuming the NMC could be waived. His value is not as high now as it would be then.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 09:23 AM
  #57
SergeiKost99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: canada
Country: Syria
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
That would be because I'm putting Weber in the "Ready for NHL" category and yes O'Byrne is a good 7th now though I don't think at his age he appreciates that very much.
No Weber is not NHL ready yet, he didn't show anything special last year in the season and playoffs. He could barly get his shot off most of the time because he has to adjust to the speed of the NHL and has to adapt to the higher physical play. You shouldn't give up on O'byrne yet he is only what 25? This guy has lots of potential and I am willing to wait a little longer for that high reward.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
That's it, basically if the org decides to send Plek away, and I'm not saying they are likely to or not, we'd have a wooping ~8 mil to get a #2 or a better #1
This would not accomplish anything as we our defence would become suspect as Weber and Subban are not ready yet and we would need to evaluate them at mid-season to see if we could do that type of move.



Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Yes I understand what you're saying but you have to consider that trading Hammer close to the deadline might not work at all, because the man has a NMC IIRC. Those become headaches during the season more than before. I think the org is more likely to start camp and the season with that core, but like Habs 4 Life said if they feel Weber or Subban is ready then Hammer becomes expandable. The question is at what price? Better than now or worst? I mean if a team wants him now for a good price, I'm ready to accept the lost.
I don't think you get my point. Subban and Weber are gems on D and will anchor Mtl's D for years. This year we had lots of turnover and you just want to throw one of them into the line-up without knowing what to expect and lose their confidence? It could be a disaster with the media ripping them all apart (hopefully not) but you know what I mean, we never had this turnover before and we need to see how it works before we just throw the young guys in.

I know hammer has a NMC but why would you sell low? He had an off year and wouldn't you want to up your players value before trading him? Hammer is not a headache case kind of guy, do you ever hear him complain once? If deemed appropriate I am positive we could trade him at the deadline if the right deal came along and we would get more in return than trading him now.

SergeiKost99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 10:00 AM
  #58
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,547
vCash: 500
we need depth.. remember injuries?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 10:05 AM
  #59
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiKost99 View Post
You shouldn't give up on O'byrne yet he is only what 25? This guy has lots of potential and I am willing to wait a little longer for that high reward.
He's what? 2 years away from free agency? That is what weights in more and that's why I think he'll not like being #7. You talk about confidence well having no free spots on our D core doesn't really help with that either. Specially for the guy at the bottom of the list (Carle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiKost99 View Post
This would not accomplish anything as we our defence would become suspect as Weber and Subban are not ready yet....
You can't say that before camp and then move on and say playing in the NHL might hurt their confidence if they make mistakes. How much confidence do you think they keep when hearing people say they're not ready when many think they are? Having opportunities in the line up for them is one serious source of motivation. Now there's not even a spot for O'Byrne.

As far as Weber is concerned, I'm pretty sure he's as ready as O'Byrne now. For Subban, well, Subban losing confidence is an oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiKost99 View Post
I know hammer has a NMC but why would you sell low? He had an off year and wouldn't you want to up your players value before trading him?
Up valuing players before trading them never happens, specially if they are 35 and you want to do this within 1 season. Not just in this city, it just doesn't happen anywhere, with maybe rare exceptions here and there. In any case the trading idea isn't because of performances, it's because of cap space to play with and youngsters needing top notch ice time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiKost99 View Post
If deemed appropriate I am positive we could trade him at the deadline if the right deal came along and we would get more in return than trading him now.
The right deals at the deadline? That's a rare commodity. If we get a "right deal" right now, then why not jump on it? So the real question is which team would actually want to help us for a good price now? If the answer is none then of course you don't just dump him on the cheap, that would be silly. I see that I forgot to say add a 3rd or a 6th, I'd get some mid-level prospect with that.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 10:42 AM
  #60
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
The main problem with the defense last year wasnt necessarly the players but more a system-cohesion problem. Everybody even Markov at times struggled because of it. The forwards didnt no what to do without the puck and where to be which led to many dump on the glass and other panic moves. Also, the defense wasnt even involved in the transition game which is key in this new NHL. Because of all that, im not ready to say that Hammer is done. With Martin proning puck possession and a great transition game, Hammer should be just fine and back to his A game.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 11:55 AM
  #61
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Hamrlik was brutal last year.

I don't mind if he's traded but only if Subban/Weber/Carle are ready.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 12:03 PM
  #62
NHLfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Hamrlick

My plan is to trade Hamrlick with the plan of making a move to get Cam Barker.

NHLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 12:04 PM
  #63
StlRams514
Registered User
 
StlRams514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Hamrlik is more valuable to us than any other team right now. You can't trade away a salary like his right after a season as crappy as his last, unless you're trading that contract for Higgins, McDonaugh +

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 12:25 PM
  #64
McNuts
Registered User
 
McNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,825
vCash: 500
Hell no. Hamrlik is a top 5 MVP on this team. You say he's had a bad season, but he finished +4 and had 33 points.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 12:41 PM
  #65
SergeiKost99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: canada
Country: Syria
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
He's what? 2 years away from free agency? That is what weights in more and that's why I think he'll not like being #7. You talk about confidence well having no free spots on our D core doesn't really help with that either. Specially for the guy at the bottom of the list (Carle).



You can't say that before camp and then move on and say playing in the NHL might hurt their confidence if they make mistakes. How much confidence do you think they keep when hearing people say they're not ready when many think they are? Having opportunities in the line up for them is one serious source of motivation. Now there's not even a spot for O'Byrne.

As far as Weber is concerned, I'm pretty sure he's as ready as O'Byrne now. For Subban, well, Subban losing confidence is an oxymoron



Up valuing players before trading them never happens, specially if they are 35 and you want to do this within 1 season. Not just in this city, it just doesn't happen anywhere, with maybe rare exceptions here and there. In any case the trading idea isn't because of performances, it's because of cap space to play with and youngsters needing top notch ice time.



The right deals at the deadline? That's a rare commodity. If we get a "right deal" right now, then why not jump on it? So the real question is which team would actually want to help us for a good price now? If the answer is none then of course you don't just dump him on the cheap, that would be silly. I see that I forgot to say add a 3rd or a 6th, I'd get some mid-level prospect with that.
Well it is all hypothetical and we could argue for hours. I just feel every prospect unless they are generational talents ala crosby should be playing in the minors at least to start to get a taste of what it is to be professional. It is also good to play in the minors for a little bit because they won't take it for granted when they are up in the NHL because they know what it feels like to play in the minors. So if they start in the minors I feel there will be less going back and forth between the 2 big clubs.

SergeiKost99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 12:56 PM
  #66
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
If they trade Hamrlik away it's because they feel Weber or Subban are ready to step in and do the job,other then that wouldn't make sense.He didn't have the best of seasons last year but he also had to play more after the Komisarek injury.I'm sure he will bounce back especially with this group of D
The signing of Mara surprised me at this point of the UFA season. I see the guy as a fourth. I am convinced O'Byrne and Weber will be in the starting lineup, with Carle knocking at the door and Subban starting the season in Hamilton. That makes 8 D that could be regular. No veterant D with a 0.7M$ contract if you see what I mean. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hamrlik was traded now.

Markov - Gill
Spacek - Gorges
Mara - Weber
Hamrlik?
7th: O'Byrne
8th: Carle
9th: Subban

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 01:13 PM
  #67
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,148
vCash: 50
trade him for another D-man sure..... but who would really want him with that contract???

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 01:39 PM
  #68
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
The signing of Mara surprised me at this point of the UFA season. I see the guy as a fourth. I am convinced O'Byrne and Weber will be in the starting lineup, with Carle knocking at the door and Subban starting the season in Hamilton. That makes 8 D that could be regular. No veterant D with a 0.7M$ contract if you see what I mean. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hamrlik was traded now.

Markov - Gill
Spacek - Gorges
Mara - Weber
Hamrlik?
7th: O'Byrne
8th: Carle
9th: Subban
i fail to see how gill would play before hamrlik

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 02:31 PM
  #69
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,492
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
i fail to see how gill would play before hamrlik
Or how Weber would, or how Mara would, or even Gorges.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 02:57 PM
  #70
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Soft like this?

I watch this hit whenever I'm feeling down

So we've tried the Pleks trades now were moving onto Hammer who else is next on the chopping block? Haven't we seen enough changes to the team? I think Hamrliks biggest problem is he played with scrubs for alot of last year. He was always the guy playing with Breezy or O'byrne that would affect anybody's game. I can tell you I watched about 70-75 regular season habs games last year and I don't remember ever calling out Hamrlik on a bad play or not finishing his check. That's not to say he never made a mistake but I think trading him is an over reaction.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 03:29 PM
  #71
Pandemic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver. BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
how come no one has ever mentioned roman hamrlik for the C?

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:14 PM
  #72
Habanero514
Registered User
 
Habanero514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
They should keep Hamrlik

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.