HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils Must Demand Compensation if this Occurs

Old
07-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

vCash: 500
Devils Must Demand Compensation if this Occurs

Larry Brooks reports in Slap Shots that several GM's have stated the possibility that the NHL may allow "Amnesty Buyouts," for the 2010/11 season. I guess those buyouts would be similar to those that were permitted prior to the new CBA, as when the Rangers were allowed to buyout Holik, with no cap hit. Now, how is this fair, when Lou seems to be putting a team on the ice that may not even make the playoffs this season, so his team will be in great cap shape for the 2010/11 season. Isn't that the whole idea of the cap to punish stupidity? Didn't Lamoriello have to give up a first round pick when he made a stupid mistake to San Jose to get under the cap, while in the beginning of the 2010 season, all the Flyers will have to do is buyout Brier without any consequence? That really sucks and if this goes down. Lou must demand compensation if it does!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07122009...tup_178810.htm

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 07-12-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Ok, terrific.

Ok, terrific.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 10:43 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

How is the team that Lou is putting on the ice next year, not worthy of a playoff spot?

This team has the same key players as last year's team that won the division!

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 10:45 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Lou mismanaged the Cap when it was going up, a very difficult thing to do, one might imagine, so he had to pay the price.

All indications for 2010-11 is that the Cap is going down, perhaps even as much as 10% (~5M). This isn't old news as it has been speculated since early last season.

Teams that heeded the economical warnings shouldn't get ****ed over by seeing their closest rivals (Rangers and Flyers in our case) automatically improve with no consequences.

Now, if the Cap were to drop 20%, this would be necessary and just about every team in the NHL would need to do it. But people are estimating a nearly $50M cap.

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
Lou mismanaged the Cap when it was going up, a very difficult thing to do, one might imagine, so he had to pay the price.

All indications for 2010-11 is that the Cap is going down, perhaps even as much as 10% (~5M). This isn't old news as it has been speculated since early last season.

Teams that heeded the economical warnings shouldn't get ****ed over by seeing their closest rivals (Rangers and Flyers in our case) automatically improve with no consequences.

Now, if the Cap were to drop 20%, this would be necessary and just about every team in the NHL would need to do it. But people are estimating a nearly $50M cap.
I agree that Lou had to pay, but are the Devils to be treated different from the Flyers, Rangers and Chicago? And I understand you're other point.

Old
07-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
How is the team that Lou is putting on the ice next year, not worthy of a playoff spot?

we didnt re-sign the giontaz or teh clemmz!!!!!1

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I can't imagine any fair way to get compensated if this were to happen, maybe extra draft picks? And even that has its drawbacks, because who decides who gets compensated with picks, and what round do they come in? All the same, I doubt that the NHL will allow amnesty buyouts, because it would be deliberately subverting/violating the CBA to help teams in a disproportionate manner. Bettman may be an idiot, and every other day he gets accused of having a bias for one team or another, but even he wouldn't be stupid enough to do something this blatant to rescue the big market teams that have overspent. The NHLPA would also fight hard against this because they don't want to see more players getting bought out of their lucrative contracts, which is what would happen. And we must also remember, this is Larry Brooks reporting here. Several thousand grains of salt are needed.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

The Clemmz sounds like an STD.

"Sorry...can't go out tonight. Another ****ing Clemmz outbreak."

Old
07-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
we didnt re-sign the giontaz or teh clemmz!!!!!1
Get over it, it's not the point I'm trying to make, for crying out loud.... Geez.

Old
07-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Uber View Post
The Clemmz sounds like an STD.

"Sorry...can't go out tonight. Another ****ing Clemmz outbreak."
I caught the Clemmz several years ago. Trust me it's not easy to live with.

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 11:00 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I agree that Lou had to pay, but are the Devils to be treated different from the Flyers, Rangers and Chicago? And I understand you're other point.
I don't think Lou is the type of guy to use the buyout clause, even though he has a couple obvious (at least from out p.o.v.) candidates in White and Pandolfo.

But, if Lou had to legally get himself under the Cap according to how the CBA is written, then so should the likes of PHI, NYR, and CHI. There were "amnesty buyouts" before 2005-06 where the following occured:

NYR - buysout Holik and his $6.84M cap hit
PHI - buysout Amonte and his $5.82M cap hit
PHI - buysout LeClair and his $6.84M cap hit
DET - buysout Derian Hatcher, Ray Whitney, and Darren McCarty for $9.2M of cap hits

among others, of course, but Lou has never used the buyout clause.

Old
07-12-2009, 11:01 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Get over it, it's not the point I'm trying to make, for crying out loud.... Geez.
Then what is your point then? It got lost in all the pessimism.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

My point isn't about how good the Devils will be, but how teams like Chicago and Philly are loading up without any concern with the cap going down in 2010 and may be bailed out buy the league. That dowsn't bother you, especially after it cost the Devils a first round pick?

Old
07-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
I don't think Lou is the type of guy to use the buyout clause, even though he has a couple obvious (at least from out p.o.v.) candidates in White and Pandolfo.

But, if Lou had to legally get himself under the Cap according to how the CBA is written, then so should the likes of PHI, NYR, and CHI. There were "amnesty buyouts" before 2005-06 where the following occured:

NYR - buysout Holik and his $6.84M cap hit
PHI - buysout Amonte and his $5.82M cap hit
PHI - buysout LeClair and his $6.84M cap hit
DET - buysout Derian Hatcher, Ray Whitney, and Darren McCarty for $9.2M of cap hits

among others, of course, but Lou has never used the buyout clause.
well allowing buyouts prior to the first cap year made sense since the GM's made those moves without knowing of a cap or how much the cap would be. Now the GM's are making these moves knowing full well that the cap could/will go down next year. I'm sorry they are digging their own graves and the NHL should not bail them out with buyouts. There are teams that will be well below the cap threshold that will be willing to take their overpaid pieces(except Wade Redden).

Old
07-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
I think his point is pretty obvious...

Old
07-12-2009, 11:19 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzrule27 View Post
well allowing buyouts prior to the first cap year made sense since the GM's made those moves without knowing of a cap or how much the cap would be. Now the GM's are making these moves knowing full well that the cap could/will go down next year. I'm sorry they are digging their own graves and the NHL should not bail them out with buyouts. There are teams that will be well below the cap threshold that will be willing to take their overpaid pieces(except Wade Redden).
yeah, i didnt really make that clear in my post. some teams needed to shed tons of $ even after the 24% rollback - PHI, NYR, and DET especially - which is why it didn't count against the cap.

i had no problem with it then because you couldn't expect GMs in 2003-04 to have prepared for a ~$39M hardcap payroll in 2005. the players got paid and many NHL teams were allowed to operate smoothly into the new CBA.

this would just piss me off incredibly.

Old
07-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
That made me chuckle...which then made my nose hurt.

Old
07-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:

Butt zomfg we lost Giunta nd Maddan! TANK!

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 12:40 PM
KFC

The problem is that no one forced Lou not to sign any free agents or to not resign his own players. He could have spent money just like the other teams, but he chose not to. They can't compensate him because he didn't spend money on free agents. That was his own decision. It's not like all the other general managers tricked him. The Devils will just have more cap space than other teams to spend next year. If they choose to.

KFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 12:46 PM
KFC

Quote:
My point isn't about how good the Devils will be, but how teams like Chicago and Philly are loading up without any concern with the cap going down in 2010 and may be bailed out buy the league. That dowsn't bother you, especially after it cost the Devils a first round pick?
Those teams took a chance that the league would take some measures to ease the constraints of a lowering salary cap. It looks as though they may have guess right if they thought that this would happen. It looks like Lou disagreed and didn't think teams would be given some type of relief. It looks like he guessed wrong. He shouldn't be compensated for that. Again those other teams still might have problems resigning their own RFA's. The Devils on the other hand will probably have plenty of cap space. That would be their reward.

Old
07-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
thats a dumb argument

you dont do stupid moves/signings and then HOPE that the league will bail you out of it, im sorry.

im not saying we deserve compensation, but still

Old
07-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
I will be pissed if the NHL just bails everyone out.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 12:58 PM
KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
thats a dumb argument

you dont do stupid moves/signings and then HOPE that the league will bail you out of it, im sorry.

im not saying we deserve compensation, but still
Gm's like Sather and Holmgren probably figured they would recieve some type of relief. If so, they took a calculated risk. That doesn't seem stupid to me. Just like Lou took a "risk" by not spending because he didn't think teams would get cap relief.

I wouldn't feel bad for those teams that overspent if they didn't get relief. But I'm not going to feel bad for teams like the Devils either. They all made their own decisions.

Old
07-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

vCash: 635
hmmm where's my post from about 3 weeks ago on this very issue...

Funniest moment of morning was Jaromir Jagr trying to get @KenDaneykoMSG to say, "Ruutu to Tootoo, 2-on-1" quickly.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
Gm's like Sather and Holmgren probably figured they would recieve some type of relief. If so, they took a calculated risk. That doesn't seem stupid to me. Just like Lou took a "risk" by not spending because he didn't think teams would get cap relief.

I wouldn't feel bad for those teams that overspent if they didn't get relief. But I'm not going to feel bad for teams like the Devils either. They all made their own decisions.

im sorry but your whole argument is flawed. is it OK to drive while drunk because you might not get caught? obviously not. its not a calculated risk. they made stupid ass moves and if they get bailed out for it, its a joke