HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The RFA route?

Old
07-10-2009, 09:11 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
The RFA route?

There are some interesting names out there. With arbitration have been filed, is it too late?

I've always liked T. Ruutu, for instance, but he's bound to be more expensive then we like.

I wonder if Gilbert Brule might be worth an offer. Thing is, he was qualified based on last year's salary of $1.2N. Would a $1.5M offer be too much of a risk? Kid is still only 22.

Scottie Upshall is another guy. Made $1.2M last year and would be entitled to a raise.

If you really wanted to take a gamble, you could float an offer to Benoit Pouliot, who made $1.7M last year and was qualified.

The teams closest to the cap don't appear to have any really good RFAs ... might be fun to take a whack at the Sens' Karlsson.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:17 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
The teams closest to the cap don't appear to have any really good RFAs ... might be fun to take a whack at the Sens' Karlsson.
an offer sheet to a guy who already left NA, because he and his GF want to be back in sweden, sounds very funny.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:20 AM
HockeyinHD

The only way to really compound the difficulty of filling depth spots is to go out and have to give up picks in order to do it, when the guys you're giving up picks for aren't any better than a bunch of UFA options, or even options withint he organization.

So, no... bad idea.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:41 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
The only way to really compound the difficulty of filling depth spots is to go out and have to give up picks in order to do it, when the guys you're giving up picks for aren't any better than a bunch of UFA options, or even options withint he organization.

So, no... bad idea.

Depends on the player, depends on the pick. And given the limits on salary we have, I don't think we're risking much.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Depends on the player, depends on the pick. And given the limits on salary we have, I don't think we're risking much.
It's exactly that limit on salary that makes it hard to go after someone else's RFA. The Wings need to have the cap space in order to foist one of these at all + the appropriate draft picks to surrender (have to be original team picks, not acquired via trade... not sure if this is a factor for the Wings right now). As a team that will always maximize cap space, they are one of the most vulnerable teams to this type of poaching. I just don't see that they can't get what they need by going the trade route, or picking up a short-term UFA.

Old
07-10-2009, 11:24 AM
norrisnick

Brule will be Dan Cleary v.2.0 in 3 years. Camp invite/reclamation project that becomes a solid middle 6 player for us.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

The only player I'd want Detroit to throw an offer sheet at is Ryan Callahan.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 03:22 PM
datsyukfan

I would love to get Scottie Upshall I think he would fit in perfectly on this team as a top six forward. Plus he has some JAM to his game.. Gett'er done Kenny

datsyukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 11:23 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

I like Ruutu,but want to give up picks to get him. He is ;headed for arbitration.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:31 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Except, you know, #2 picks for guys who aren't that great.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 11:28 AM
ginnungagap

If Hudler's contract with Dynamo is ruled invalid I could see his rights being traded for another RFA. I read that Holland has never gone all the way to an arbitration hearing- having always negotiated a deal before it came to that. There would probably be enough awkwardness taking $5mil/year off Hulder's plate and handing him $3mil that trading him would be best for all parties involved if he does end up coming back to the NHL.

I'd like to see Hulder straight up for Ruutu- or Detroit throwing something in along with Hudler to get Callahan. Arbitration hearings by their very nature seem to create some bad blood between players and teams so it probably depends on what RFA's get knocked around and feel lowballed the most.

ginnungagap is offline   Reply With Quote