HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Komisarek-how good is he?

Old
07-13-2009, 12:07 PM
x-bob

vCash: 500
This is how I described him in another thread.

Komisarek isn't a bad defencemen but he does have major flaws to his game. He is only effective when he doesn't have the puck on his stick. He can hit along the boards, block shots and clear the crease okay but he can't control the puck, make a good first pass and he is a great liability to the transition game. Last year, not only was his puck control game bad but he couldn't hold his own in the defensive zone which made him a below average defencemen for the better part of the season.

That being said, pair him up with Kaberle and good things should happen in theory (if last season was a fluke for him).

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Montreal Typical

Komisarek is basically a giveaway machine that hits and blocks shots.

He panics with the puck and always either tries to give it back to his partner or to dump it off the boards.

His puck skills are awful. His passing is terrible and his shot never reaches the net.

His decision making isn't great either. He often takes himself out of position to hit, though he has improved a lot in that area. He goes down a lot to block shots, but that also often creates an opening for the opposition.

Like I said though, he blocks a lot of shots and hits. That's pretty much what he's good at. Oh and he's apparently a dressing room leader, but don't expect him to be a leader on the ice.

Overall, he's a good bottom pairing defenseman, but he's paid to be a top pairing guy and so people are likely going to be very disappointed. But, who knows, he might have a breakout season.

He has never looked good without Markov for us and I didn't want him back for that reason. When Markov got injured, we always lost Komisarek as well... I don't like that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
That being said, pair him up with Kaberle and good things should happen in theory (if last season was a fluke for him).
I don't know. He was terrible with Hamrlik in 2007-08 and Hammer was playing some great hockey. He always ended up being paired with Markov because it didn't work with anyone else.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:09 PM
davenash

I always liked Komisarek but when Markov got injured and that Komi was on his own, I think that we saw that he has some major weaknesses.

davenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:09 PM
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdanno115 View Post
hi leafs fan here and i would just like to know how good he is

Thanks
In all seriousness man, I hope Komisarek has a good year, he was a GREAT teammate, many habs fans were calling him Koivu's replacement as our captain for year. By the end of the year he honestly became a defensive reliablility! After getting pummled by Lucic, He was never, ever the same. But with the team USA GM watching him Lets hope that will change!

cheers

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Boulette Cannon

He likes to hit shins/ankles with pucks when in the offensive zone.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:12 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Oh just like Calamary said, he will never hit the net on a point shot, 99.9% of his shots will get blocked.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:16 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
this is prob the best avatar i have seen in a while BAHAHAHAHA!!!

anychance i can sport it hahahah

i know i should go through the thread and request my own but this is just toooooo awesome
Ask Jee to do you one. I had that idea but he's the artist.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:19 PM
macavoy

He's a prototypical Brian Burke player.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Very good player!

-moves pretty good for a big man
-can intimidate with big checks (closes especially fast when guys try to beat him wide and he can hit some real beauty checks along the boards between the blue line and the hash marks)
-extremely physical for a d-man, sometimes to his detriment
-is very tough to beat 1on1.
-has a painfully long wind-up on his shot, and he gets too many blocked

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Komi is a big guy who you wish would hit like a truck but dosent. He has put some people into the boards, but dont expect some open ice gems from him.

Good skating dman, brings leadership and character to a dressing room. Often accused of being a notorious after whistle cheap shot artist and dosent drop the gloves (when he does its not pretty).
Will block a ton of shots, will not put up points, does not have a good first pass either.

ALl in all i wish we still had him at a decent amount, i relaly think 4.5 is too much, but if theyre is one place he can excel its toronto. Im expecting him to have a bounce back year.

he`s still a loser tho.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:50 PM
JaymzB

Well, I will try to give you an unbiased view of him:

Pros:
-He is a shot blocking machine. Quite possibly the best in the league today.
-While he doesnít produce that many huge open ice hits, his physical play along the boards is impressive. He will punish anyone who comes over to his side of the rink. Just think of the battles he had with Sundin in 07/08. Heíll do that to any top player on the ice whenever possible.
-He is an exceptional skater for his size. Most 6í4Ē, 245lbs. players donít have the agility he has. One of the biggest reasons he was drafted so early.
-His is a great teammate, who will stick up for any player on his team. He should fit in perfectly on a Brian Burke team, where he will be supported in the toughness department much better than in Montreal. Could be the next Captain in Leaf land.

Cons:
-His offensive abilities shown in NCAA and the AHL have not transition to the NHL at all. While he does have a hard shot, his release is simply too slow to be effective. He is a defensive defensemen through and through.
-Not the greatest outlet passer in the world.
-At the risk of belabouring this point, he really took a step down after the Lucic fight. How much of that was a loss of confidence, and how much was injury is open to debate.
-Will on occasion go for the big hit, and take himself out of position.
-He can go too far in the physical play, leading to penalty trouble.

Thatís all I can think of right now. IMO the pros definitely outweigh the cons, and Iím sad to see him go. As other have said, he is best suited to play with an defensemen like Kaberle in Toronto (and Markov in Montreal), where their respective weaknesses are covered by the other. Heíll definitely be a fan favourite in Toronto in no time.

JaymzB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'll sum up Komisarek.

When he's a hab - He's a beast
Now that he's a leaf - he blows chunks.

hab fans mentality, did I do it right ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:06 PM
la25ecoupe

He loves to shoot in the chest of the opposite them players.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:07 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamary View Post
Positives:
- Good defensive defenseman
- Blocks tons of shots
- Great team guy
- Tons of character
- Used to hit alot

Negatives:
- Overreacts alot after the whistle is blown
- No poise with the puck
- Not to agile (normal for a guy his size)
- Hasn't been himself since Lucic pounded him
He actually fought Lucid twice..

Anyways, with the Leafs toughness, he will be more confortable againts Lucic.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Avant-Gardien

Let's be honest here, there are really two Mike Komisareks you could see, and a lot of it depends on with whom he's paired. Alongside Markov, he was really a great shutdown force (albeit less so this past season), since Markov is the type of D-man who will hit his head-man passes, read the play, and make up for positional mistakes. Apart from Markov, however, he was a mess. There was really no other D-man with whom he could be paired who would be able to fill in the other half of the defensive game Komisarek missed.

As for the Leafs' situation? I could see Komisarek looking like his old (and very effective) self if paired with Kaberle. Kaberle can work very much that same role that Markov did. Outside of a pairing with Kaberle, I don't see Komisarek being particularly effective.

Avant-Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamary View Post
Positives:
- Good defensive defenseman
- Blocks tons of shots
- Great team guy
- Tons of character
- Used to hit alot

Negatives:
- Overreacts alot after the whistle is blown
- No poise with the puck
- Not to agile (normal for a guy his size)
- Hasn't been himself since Lucic pounded him
Pretty much dead on. The poise part really pissed me off with Komi, he's the king of just insta-clearing the puck for an icing whenever he gets the puck in situations where there's clear exit options.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:18 PM
TheCH*

I am not gonna lie, he is a good defenseman coming off a bad year. The contract given to him was really not that bad a deal and he was Gainey's only priority out of hab ufa's. Thats why there was so much of an uproar on here about him going to the Leafs. If he was as bad as people make him out to be(and you know they are only doing this as consolation for losing him), then it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

But i really hate him for signing with the leafs and i hope he plays as bad for them as he did for the habs in 08-09!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:31 PM
m00ks

Pros (when he's on):

- Shot blocking machine.
- Highlight reel hitter. Although he barely did anything last year.
- Possesses leadership qualities.
- Big physical defensive d-man with a mean streak.

Cons

- Watches the puck too much and forgets open players.
- Doesn't clear the net enough for a guy his size.
- Weak at reading the play or anticipating rebounds.
- Will take penalties for being overtly aggressive.
- Zero offensive upside.
- As the previous poster said, absolutely no poise with the puck.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:32 PM
BBrowser

Think Craig Ludwig with no hands and a tendancy to panic with the puck. Girlfriend loved him.

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:34 PM
JrHockeyFan

Lots of folks make more out of that whole Lucic thing than it was worth. It was a non factor. He may have aggravated an injury in the tussle

puck handling is quite poor and it is more a decision making thing. frankly the weakest part of Komi's game is mental. It also plays into his choice to make a hit at the expense of covering a check

Not an offensive factor at all

A good but not great D man when on his game

Most of Komi's following comes from popularity. Many here are not happy with his choice to go so the popularity has gone with it. He will be popular in Toronto I'm sure, but his puck handling and decision making is going to rankle the fan who cares nothing about popularity and more about results

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Doctor House

Paired with someone like Kaberle he'll be very effective. Pair him with anyone else and you'll have a rich man's Volchenkov.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:47 PM
guapo23

Komisarek is a bit of an enigma.

Assets :

Amazing Bodychecking
Amazing Shotblocker
Physical in front of the net

Faults :

He gives the illusion of toughness. Like Phaneuf, he does not fight well & can't back up his tough play. As a result he is not as intimidating as his bodychecking makes him seem to be.

Not a very good passer. Always clears the zone off the glass which does not setup a great counter-attack.

No offensive upside.

Had a terrible season in 08-09. Caught flatfooted, made tons of defensive mistakes. After his fight & injury with Lucic he was never the same.

Conclusion :
With all the other toughness on the Leafs, Komi will not need play as big of a role as an intimidator. He can just bodycheck & block shots. This will make him more usefull.

He is still young & will bounce back. If he is paired with a good puck moving D, he should find his game again and be an excellent addition to your team.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Overrate him much??? He was never outstanding. He made too many gaffs with the puck in his own end to be outstanding.

He has NEVER taken over a game.....EVER. He doesn't have any offence to take over a game and his defensive abilities aren't as good as Chara's so the chances of him taking over a game with his defence is a little much too.

Plekanec, Kovalev, Andrei, Hammer, Markov and Koivu were just as important or even moreso than Komisarek in 07-08.

Komi is a good defencemen if you need someone to play physical, make body checks and block shots.....after that, there isn't much.
Oh right, I forgot... he's no longer with us so he's not that good.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:11 PM
habfaninvictoria

He's a great team guy, or at least I thought he was, but in light of him signing with "the enemy", I'd say he's more likely a good teammate regardless of the sweater.

Strong hitter, even when he's not on the ice teams think twice about coming down the left side.

Can be an effective pest, but that backfired on him last year and I was embarrassed for him in our last playoff game when he went for Lucic.

He's good on the PK but can be a hindrance while keeping one guy tied up, he effectively creates a 4 on 3.

He can play on your top pair, but only if the other guy is strong. He even made Markov look bad at times last year when he was in a funk.

He is not effective at clearing the zone in pressure situations.

In order for him to reach his potential he needs to work on his puck handling skill and fighting ability. He only needs one good fight and people will leave him alone out of respect, but until that day they will challenge him because of he physical type of game he plays.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
In bold, that was my biggest pet peeves from him, in the play-off especially. instead of going for the puck and passing it out of the zone, he would wait for the opponent to take the puck, then nail him, then the opponent would make a pass to their defence and they now control the puck in our zone. Maybe he was injured and didn't want to be hit but man...
He definitely wasn't the same after that fight. If that's the version of Komi that the Leafs get, they'll be sorry.

Personally, I think he's worth the risk and I think he'll be great over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenash View Post
I always liked Komisarek but when Markov got injured and that Komi was on his own, I think that we saw that he has some major weaknesses.
Kaberle's a similar guy to Markov. If they pair them up, he'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
Well, I will try to give you an unbiased view of him:

Pros:
-He is a shot blocking machine. Quite possibly the best in the league today.
-While he doesnít produce that many huge open ice hits, his physical play along the boards is impressive. He will punish anyone who comes over to his side of the rink. Just think of the battles he had with Sundin in 07/08. Heíll do that to any top player on the ice whenever possible.
-He is an exceptional skater for his size. Most 6í4Ē, 245lbs. players donít have the agility he has. One of the biggest reasons he was drafted so early.
-His is a great teammate, who will stick up for any player on his team. He should fit in perfectly on a Brian Burke team, where he will be supported in the toughness department much better than in Montreal. Could be the next Captain in Leaf land.

Cons:
-His offensive abilities shown in NCAA and the AHL have not transition to the NHL at all. While he does have a hard shot, his release is simply too slow to be effective. He is a defensive defensemen through and through.
-Not the greatest outlet passer in the world.
-At the risk of belabouring this point, he really took a step down after the Lucic fight. How much of that was a loss of confidence, and how much was injury is open to debate.
-Will on occasion go for the big hit, and take himself out of position.
-He can go too far in the physical play, leading to penalty trouble.

Thatís all I can think of right now. IMO the pros definitely outweigh the cons, and Iím sad to see him go. As other have said, he is best suited to play with an defensemen like Kaberle in Toronto (and Markov in Montreal), where their respective weaknesses are covered by the other. Heíll definitely be a fan favourite in Toronto in no time.
Pretty accurate, he plays with a real nasty edge though and when he's on his game he can be the best player on the ice. I remember some of those epic games against Pittsburgh and Boston from a few years ago and he was just outstanding.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote