HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Nathan McIver

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2004, 06:04 PM
galiano

vCash: 500
Nathan McIver

Hey I just read an article about Nathan McIver at http://<br /> http://www.oursportsc...24&l_id=&t_id=

He was an 8th round pick of the Canucks in the 2003 draft. He's just been named to team OHL for a series against a Russian team. He also is now the captain of St. Mike's juniors. He's 6-2 and had 180 + pims last year. Could it be that he is becoming a prospect ? ?

Anyone know anything about him ?

Old
10-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano
Hey I just read an article about Nathan McIver at http://<br /> http://www.oursportsc...24&l_id=&t_id=

He was an 8th round pick of the Canucks in the 2003 draft. He's just been named to team OHL for a series against a Russian team. He also is now the captain of St. Mike's juniors. He's 6-2 and had 180 + pims last year. Could it be that he is becoming a prospect ? ?

Anyone know anything about him ?
Not a lot about him, but I do remember Crawford praising him in Rookie Camp for his solid positional play and great first pass. Sounds like he could be a physical bottom pairing guy down the road potentially? Didn't realize he was team captain. Throw in some leadership qualities as well.

Old
10-22-2004, 11:02 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
At best I think we can all hope he turns out to be a Canucks call up. That's at the very best.

Old
10-23-2004, 01:35 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinFan
At best I think we can all hope he turns out to be a Canucks call up. That's at the very best.
I think that's pretty premature. Certainly the odds he'll ever be a regular NHLer are not good, but nothing is set in stone. Upsides change all the time - Kevin Bieksa looked like a nothing prospect for 3 or 4 years but has impressed the hell out of everyone since turning pro and certainly looks like he could have NHL upside now. Next year will tell us what's in store for McIver - if he adapts smoothly to the AHL we might have something, if not write him off. He certainly seems to have some tools that might play well in pro down the road - size, grit, seems to have a good head for the game.

Old
10-24-2004, 10:59 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
I think that's pretty premature. Certainly the odds he'll ever be a regular NHLer are not good, but nothing is set in stone. Upsides change all the time - Kevin Bieksa looked like a nothing prospect for 3 or 4 years but has impressed the hell out of everyone since turning pro and certainly looks like he could have NHL upside now. Next year will tell us what's in store for McIver - if he adapts smoothly to the AHL we might have something, if not write him off. He certainly seems to have some tools that might play well in pro down the road - size, grit, seems to have a good head for the game.

I like a couple of things about McIver - first he has just been named captain, and he gets lots of PIMs so he must play with an edge. Who knows ?

Well you know there are all sorts of examples of defencemen who looked like a number 7 at best or maybe a number 6 at firste and then after a few years they started to get their game together and all of a sudden you have a very good D man. I remember well what Adrian Aucoin looked like when he came to the Canucks from ( I think ) the Canadian Olympic team. He had that booming shot, could skate but made all sorts of dumb decisions and eventually got traded away. Now look at the minutes he plays with the Islanders. I really liked Bryan McCabe for his toughness when he was here and I wasn't pleased to see him traded. He has become a much better defenceman than he ever showed here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that with some young defencemen it takes more than just a couple of years for them to blossom. Hey maybe Sopel will win the Norris some day !

Old
10-24-2004, 11:14 PM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano
I like a couple of things about McIver - first he has just been named captain, and he gets lots of PIMs so he must play with an edge. Who knows ?

Well you know there are all sorts of examples of defencemen who looked like a number 7 at best or maybe a number 6 at firste and then after a few years they started to get their game together and all of a sudden you have a very good D man. I remember well what Adrian Aucoin looked like when he came to the Canucks from ( I think ) the Canadian Olympic team. He had that booming shot, could skate but made all sorts of dumb decisions and eventually got traded away. Now look at the minutes he plays with the Islanders. I really liked Bryan McCabe for his toughness when he was here and I wasn't pleased to see him traded. He has become a much better defenceman than he ever showed here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that with some young defencemen it takes more than just a couple of years for them to blossom. Hey maybe Sopel will win the Norris some day !

Old
10-25-2004, 01:22 AM
Russian_fanatic

wow, Nathan actually made it

Closed Thread