HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin's "system" - please explain.

Old
07-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Boulette Cannon

vCash: 500
Martin's "system" - please explain.

Can someone please explain Martin's system? Pros and cons also welcomed.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
He used it in Ottawa when they sucked and it worked and when they drafted and made good trades, they were tops in the league in goals and tops in the league in goals against (Or bottom, whichever means fewest against)

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

From what I can understand, it's a defense first system...players will have to be at the right place on the ice and when they lose the puck, they will have to take it back as soon as possible. I think Martin will let the offensive players take some chances...in his mind, offense is the best defense, which is true. We will be more of a puck possession team if we can play the system really well. If not, it might look more like ''la trappe''

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Boulette Cannon

I'm asking because everybody talks about Carbo not having a "system" and Martin's "system" is better, but no one seems to talk about the actual system and what it implies.

Old
07-13-2009, 02:48 PM
HabuseMoi

in before someone says he has no system and should be fired

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:50 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamary View Post
I'm asking because everybody talks about Carbo not having a "system" and Martin's "system" is better, but no one seems to talk about the actual system and what it implies.
Lets wait till the season and actually seeing it before commenting on it...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Carbo's system was do whatever you want.

Martin's is defense first. We'll win games 1-0, 2-1. His system is similar to Detroit's; few shots against. Everyone has to come back and play defense, no stragglers.

I think this is why Montréal went out and signed another d (Mara) as Subban and Weber will get more time to play in the NHL due to injuries/flus/suspensions and next year one of them should be good to step in and replace Mara.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

His system is close the the trap. The Detroit Redwings run the same style that JM would like to run.

Defense first, and then its all about the counter attack. That is why the Defense we have now is good at first passes, because the counter attacks have to be quick and skillfull. Lucky for us we have one of the best first passers in the league (markov) and no really ******** offensive players. Even Hal Gill has a good first pass.

Once the defense counters with the puck, JM would use our quick players to make a quick play using their skill and speed and stay in the O zone until we score or turn over the puck. It is all about the trap (the method to steal the puck from the opposing team and quickly counter to throw the other team off guard).

Gainey obviously asked JM about each player he signed this off season because all the players look perfect for this system in Cammy, Gio, Gomez, Spacek, Gill, Moen, and Mara. I can't wait for this season!!

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:55 PM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
It's simple to explain, but hard to employ effectively.

Possess and protect the puck.

Laps/Lats/Moen will thrive under this system IMO.

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeeves View Post
It's simple to explain, but hard to employ effectively.

Possess and protect the puck.

Laps/Lats/Moen will thrive under this system IMO.
if lats can keep up that is, gotta get those legs movin and lay off the junk food

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Sebaldian

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:22 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
wow just this gif alone makes me want to watch a game

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Bopp

Quote:
That looks like the "Left Wing Lock" System. The Red Wings were known tu use this system and Carolina also used it. I didn't know JM used that system. Are you sure about this?

Bopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:25 PM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCammalleri View Post
His system is close the the trap. The Detroit Redwings run the same style that JM would like to run.

Defense first, and then its all about the counter attack. That is why the Defense we have now is good at first passes, because the counter attacks have to be quick and skillfull. Lucky for us we have one of the best first passers in the league (markov) and no really ******** offensive players. Even Hal Gill has a good first pass.

Once the defense counters with the puck, JM would use our quick players to make a quick play using their skill and speed and stay in the O zone until we score or turn over the puck. It is all about the trap (the method to steal the puck from the opposing team and quickly counter to throw the other team off guard).

Gainey obviously asked JM about each player he signed this off season because all the players look perfect for this system in Cammy, Gio, Gomez, Spacek, Gill, Moen, and Mara. I can't wait for this season!!

Someone gets it!

Quick recap:

07-08: Habs had a passive 2-1-2 forecheck which means the centerman (the '1') was deeper defensively than the wingers on the forecheck. Basically it was a quick dump and chase toward the sideboards.

08-09: Habs started with a 2-1-2 forecheck but injuries and a general lack of cohesion made Carbo revert to a 3-2 dump and chase which never seemed to work. Our players weren't strong or passionate enough to get the puck and it would squeeze out from behind them.

09-10: Habs will presumably start with a puck-possession team a la Detroit. Keep the puck with the dmen, wait the right opportunity, make a quick pass to a winger, create the 3 on 2/2 on 1 chance and score. When they have the puck they will come and we will have a 1-4 clog in the neutral zone (also known affectionately as the trap because we'll have four players "waiting" for the opposing team to mess up and fall into our trap) in which we'll usually make them cough up the puck and make the quick transition into offense.

edit: Our forecheck will be interesting to watch. I don't know what to expect given the fact that LWL (like the above GIF) requires competent and strong centermen and Plekanec is neither strong nor competent enough without someone by the name Kovalev on his wing.

It will get brutal and boring if we're facing Florida, New Jersey (with Lemaire!) or Toronto (only d-first teams that came to mind).

It will rock and work well against the Islanders, Washington, Tampa Bay, Atlanta and basically any team with a weak d-corps/system.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopp View Post
That looks like the "Left Wing Lock" System. The Red Wings were known tu use this system and Carolina also used it. I didn't know JM used that system. Are you sure about this?
Nope. Just liked the gif.

Old
07-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

This:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Da SYZTEMZ.jpg‎ (50.7 KB, 118 views)

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:38 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Where's the part where the green "W" (attempts to) skate through the red "W", "C", "D" and "D" and then doesn't pass it to the wide open green "W" and instead shoots or loses the puck?

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:40 PM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Where's the part where the green "W" (attempts to) skate through the red "W", "C", "D" and "D" and then doesn't pass it to the wide open green "W" and instead shoots or loses the puck?
He's in Ottawa now

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
This:

Old
07-13-2009, 03:45 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
That's what I was thinking lol it looks so easy when it's 5 on 1

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Can someone please explain Martin's system? Pros and cons also welcomed.
It always depends on the guys you can relly on. Still, I can tell you from my sources that Mike Fischer loved him as a coach. The GM fired him to save his own butt.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Boulette Cannon

Starting to make sense.

What about the neutral zone when defending?

Old
07-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Starting to make sense.

What about the neutral zone when defending?
That's what I was about to post. The neutral zone is key, I think if our players buy into the system and apply it well, other teams will have all the difficulty in this world to cross our blue line. In offense the transition game will be so fast: Less than 3 seconds in the neutral zone.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:56 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
That's what I was about to post. The neutral zone is key, I think if our players buy into the system and apply it well, other teams will have all the difficulty in this world to cross our blue line. In offense the transition game will be so fast: Less than 3 seconds in the neutral zone.
If they are successful making zone entry difficult for opponents then I'll be happy. When you have players skating in unscathed, you ain't going win many games.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Fozz

I don't think Martin (or any other NHL coach, for that matter) has a single system that he carries around for his entire career in a briefcase and use with whatever team he coaches. It's all dependent on the players he's given and the make up of the team.

With the team we have, you can bet on an up tempo, puck possession and quick transition system.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote