post your ideas (forwards)

Old
07-13-2009, 05:40 PM
8inblack

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 8inblack Send a message via Yahoo to 8inblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
Agreed. I've been advocating another veteren acquisiton for the 3rd line just because.

How is Brown overrated if you yourself agree he is solid defensively? Nobody has said more than that. Solid defensively is good enough.

Oh, and not giving us a lot of credit up there in your ivory tower of hockey viewing greatness, i see.

Speaking of overrated...
I meant the overachieving Pahlson in 07. I know it's no secret that the entire checking line took a nose dive after that year.

What I mean by Brown being solid defensively is you can use him like a Parros against the oppositions lower lines. If you expect him to go out there and stop the Thornton's and Kopitar's he's going to be -50 by the break unless he's out there with Niedermayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
I don't either, but that's just Carlyle's way. We didn't have the talent last year IMO either, but he found a way to make one, and that line of miller,marchant, and R.Niedermayer were 2nd in ice time only to the Getzlaf line. If we made a checking line it would be made up of 3 of the following players: Nokke, Marchant, Miller, or Carter.
Looking at that there's 3 young guys in Miller,Carter,Noeklainin. Maybe if Carlyle coaches them up and they get some chemistry going they can be the checking line for years to come.

Last edited by 8inblack: 07-13-2009 at 05:46 PM.
8inblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inblack View Post

Looking at that there's 3 young guys in Miller,Carter,Noeklainin. Maybe if Carlyle coaches them up and they get some chemistry going they can be the checking line for years to come.
Hopefully not...

As for Grier... If Murray called his agent and asked what he's looking for, and he said 1.8 million; I hope that Murray would laugh and hang up. Personally I think Moen is better then Grier, and Moen is overpaid right now. I'd offer Grier 1 year 1 million contract. Anything over 1-1.5 is just ridiculous and dumb.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:29 PM
SonOfBraincramp

Lupul - Getzlaf - Perry (Bobby plays like crud with the twins)
Ryan - Koivu - Selanne
Miller - Marchant - Nokelainen
Brown - Carter - Parros

Niedermayer - Wiz
Whitney - Boynton
Sbisa - Brookbank

Hiller
Giguere

Not Bad...

SoB

SonOfBraincramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:41 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Hopefully not...

As for Grier... If Murray called his agent and asked what he's looking for, and he said 1.8 million; I hope that Murray would laugh and hang up. Personally I think Moen is better then Grier, and Moen is overpaid right now. I'd offer Grier 1 year 1 million contract. Anything over 1-1.5 is just ridiculous and dumb.
Maybe this gets into some difference in opinion in how good Grier is (where I said before that I think he's just a half step below Pahlsson), but if Pahlsson got 1.4 on his previous contract (which many have said was a discount), and Pahlsson's previous contract was a few years ago (ie many millions of dollars lower cap), then how can you say Grier shouldn't even get 1.5?

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Maybe this gets into some difference in opinion in how good Grier is (where I said before that I think he's just a half step below Pahlsson), but if Pahlsson got 1.4 on his previous contract (which many have said was a discount), and Pahlsson's previous contract was a few years ago (ie many millions of dollars lower cap), then how can you say Grier shouldn't even get 1.5?
I guess we just have different values of Grier then. I watched the Sharks playoffs games last year, and Moen was clearly better. Grier is slow and doesn't forecheck very well anymore. His strength is the PK, but that's pretty much all he does well.

Old
07-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Jimgrayson

Quote:
Ok after some hard work.

Chirstenson had 9 pts in 17 games in the regular season with the Ducks. Over 82 games this comes to about 43 points.
That's simply too small a sample size to pro-rate to a season. There's way too much random activity to get a reliable number in 20% of the season. Going from his rookie season

Year Team(s) Games Points Points per game Even strength points per 60 minutes
2005-06 Pittsburgh 33 13 0.39 1.27
2006-07 Pittsburgh 61 33 0.54 2.43
2007-08 Pittsburgh - Atlanta 59 24 0.41 1.50
2008-09 Atlanta 47 19 0.40 1.61

If you look through his career at the time he was traded to Anaheim I'd say he was a consistent 0.40 points per game player who'd had an outlier of a sophomore season. The trend is flat in terms of his points per game the last two seasons and his EVSPts/60 have decreased since his sophomore season

Now compare pre and with Anaheim stats

Games Points Points per game Even strength points per 60 minutes
Pre Anaheim 200 89 0.45 1.71
With Anaheim 17 9 0.53 2.19

And you can see why such a small sample size can give misleading results. Based on the 200 games he played before coming here I'd have said that he was good for about 7 points but by scoring 2 more (and 2 is certainly a small enough number to be caused by random effects such as a wicked deflection or a goalie letting one through that he'd normally stop) it allows pro rating to say he's good for 43 points over the season whereas I'd have said that number is about 33 based on his history

Last edited by Jimgrayson: 07-14-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: special maths the first time around, put the numbers I've altered in italics
Jimgrayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Slyintine

Send a message via MSN to Slyintine
The Lines (as I see it):

Lupul - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Koivu - Selanne
Carter/Miller - Marchant - Christensen/Ebbett
Brown - Nokie - The Stache

S.Nieds - Sbisa
Whitney - Wisniewski
Boynton - Brookbank/Mitera/Festerling/Salcido/Mikkelson

Jiggy
Hiller

Of course, the Lines don't really matter since RC loves to mix and match. But hopefully the Fins create magic that RC cannot break up.

Slyintine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Check out the blog on anaheimducks.com. It has some comments from Carlyle talking about how he wants to still make defense the priority. He didn't come out and say that he will still use a checking line, but it's looking more and more likely that he will. I don't see him spreading all the offense out either, so I think he'll use these lines:

Lupul-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Koivu-Selanne
Miller/Carter/Marchant/Nokke
Parros-Ebbett/Christensen-Brown

Old
07-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Dirk316

the 3rd line is brutal ugh its useless. Wondering why Murray didnt go harder after Kostopolous or Moen. Miller + Ebbett + EC are not NHL caliber players and have no business on a team that is looking to contend. I know Murray is hoping Bodie becomes the next Travis Moen so we'll see.

Lupul - Getz - Perry
Ryan - Koivu - Teemu
Bodie - Nok - Carter/Brown
Carter/Brown - Marchant - Parros

Neids/Boynton
Wiz/Whitney
Sbisa/Mitera/Brookbank

AHL/Released/Cut -Miller,Ebbett,EC

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 08:55 PM
8inblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
the 3rd line is brutal ugh its useless. Wondering why Murray didnt go harder after Kostopolous or Moen. Miller + Ebbett + EC are not NHL caliber players and have no business on a team that is looking to contend. I know Murray is hoping Bodie becomes the next Travis Moen so we'll see.

Lupul - Getz - Perry
Ryan - Koivu - Teemu

Neids/Boynton
Wiz/Whitney
Sbisa/Mitera/Brookbank

Old
07-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Im inclined to take his side on this one. Those three players are all borderline useless. Andrew Ebbett managed to score two even strength goals in 48 games in the 2nd line center role. Even if you want to argue that he wasnt in that role for the entirety of his 48 games, two even strength goals is awful.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Nikko*

Quote:

Lupul - Getz - Perry
Ryan - Koivu - Teemu

Neids/Boynton
Wiz/Whitney
Sbisa/Mitera/Brookbank

Carlyle was quoted in the Register today as saying that Nieds would be paired with Sbisa.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

I didn't see that. I thought they were doing the line combo thing tomorrow?

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
You are actually face palming me? The same person who's 3rd line is
"Christenson-Ebbett-Marchant" 2 midgets and the softest laziest player on this team? That is the checking line you recomend?

Oh wait there's more, how about a nice intimidating 4th line consisting of:
"Miller-Carter-Noeklainin"
This is a serious post right?

Actually WATCH hockey for a couple years and spend less time playing you're XBOX then post. Are you even older than 13? Because that would explain a lot. Does mommy know you post here?

Old
07-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
Carlyle was quoted in the Register today as saying that Nieds would be paired with Sbisa.

Didnt see that but i doubt that actually happens

Old
07-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
"Christenson-Ebbett-Marchant" 2 midgets and the softest laziest player on this team? That is the checking line you recomend?

Actually WATCH hockey for a couple years and spend less time playing you're XBOX then post. Are you even older than 13? Because that would explain a lot. Does mommy know you post here?
Even when I take your side you still manage to piss me off. Ease up on the guy, he didnt hurt anyone by posting an opinion.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:17 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
I could see it. I really think Sbisa will be a stud. Maybe not this season though

As long as he works hard in the offseason to bulk up, I think he could be the #2 like Beauchemin was. Although his style of play might fit in better with Pronger than Niedermayer.

Old
07-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Still can't find that quote.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:45 AM
MOENing

Perry - Getzlaf - Lupul
Perry and Getzlaf stay together that pretty much a given. Lupul gets a chance to play with the twins and learn from their ability to feed off each other. Maybe perhaps he shakes of his streakiness. IF he doesn't succeed there he could get moved down with Koivu and Selanne and learn to "finnish."
Ryan - Koivu - Selanne
Ryan gets to play with two of the most noble hockey players I have even known about. Ryan will gain much experience learning from these two experts. Selanne and Koivu Must play together.
Marchant - Nokalainen - Brown
Two out of the three can take face offs and two out of the three can lay a check down on each other. I dare you to show me a better checking line.
Parros - Carter - Christensen
Now I only give Christensen a roster spot no one else worked. Carter is a gem and never has not fallen from my expectations. Parros lets hope you can do even better than last year.
Niedermayer - Salcido
Salcido will learn from the master and as everyone has said niedermayer also makes his partner look better so we wont be unimpresssed. Salcido needs to be proven so we can lock him up and this is a safe bet.
Whitney - Wiznewski
Give em a shot.
Boyton - Sbisa
Not much of a liability on third pairing minutes.
Giguere
Regains his glory Book it e35 Seriously he will bounce back.
Hiller
Goalie 1 b

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:49 AM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

I like Lupul on the top line, Perry has always been a better playmaker than scorer IMO and we all know Getzlafs abilities. also, Carlyle seems to like young guys paired with Nieds recently so I expect Sbisa to be paired with Nieds at least in preseason to see what the kid can do.

Sean Garrity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 04:13 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:

Lupul - Getz - Perry
Ryan - Koivu - Teemu

Neids/Boynton
Wiz/Whitney
Sbisa/Mitera/Brookbank

We wouldn't resign EC just to cut him before the season starts. I'm all for either cutting Miller or sending him down to the AHL. I don't want him near the roster either. I think we should keep Ebbett though. He can fill in well on the top lines in case of injury. If RC is going to go with a checking line again, his comments make it seem almost certain, then you're right he should have added another big defensive player like Moen or Grier. I think we're stuck with the current roster though. I'm going to do one more set of line combos for what we have. The first one is with a shutdown line, since it's pretty apparent that RC is going to use one. The second group will be ones that RC could use against teams that a shutdown line isn't really needed.

With shutdown line:
Lupul-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Koivu-Selanne
Carter-Marchant-Nokke
Parros-Ebbett/Christensen-Brown

With out shutdown line:
Lupul-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Koivu-Selanne
Christensen/Ebbett-Marchant-Carter
Parros-Christensen/Ebbett/-Brown
Sit Nokke against teams that we don't need a shutdown line. Miller is needed on either set so cut his ass.

Old
07-15-2009, 10:15 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankatola Jamnuts View Post
Still can't find that quote.
It was in the physical newspaper (July 14th, page 3). There isn't an exact version of it online. It comes from an interview with Carlyle.

These 2 stories have some of the same quotes (same interview), but no mention of Sbisa.

http://ducks.freedomblogging.com/200...akeover/16143/
http://ducks.freedomblogging.com/200...nations/16167/

In the newspaper it just said that Carlyle expects Sbisa to get a good look with Niedermayer to begin the year, sort of like Beauchemin (I think that was the writer that mentioned Beauch not Carlyle). Carlyle also calls him kid like 50 million times in a couple sentences.

Old
07-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Nikko*

Quote:
You're right... what difference would Carlyle's opinion make on who is paired together.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:06 PM
caliamad

Anyone read the register today. Carlyle had comments about line combinations.

Basically said Getz & Perry will start together and Koivu/Selanne (big surpise).

What he did say that was interesting, is that Lupul is not a lock on the 2nd line and he may spread the offesne around to 3 lines (ala Redwings).

I just hope Christensen/Miller are no where near the top 2 lines.

Last edited by caliamad: 07-15-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: meant perry not ryan
caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:45 PM
8inblack

Quote:

I suppose you were one of the people who thought Getzlaf/Lupul/Perry/Penner were border line awful when they were having rough times in 03-04 and 05-06 seasons. Nice to see how those non NHL talents turned out.

Ebbett is NOT nhl caliber? he would play on the majority of teams around. Marchant is lazy? Right,Right and you were the one telling me to get off the XBOX correct? Your right Ebbett probably won't even see that 6'1 205 pound midget Christenson. We should get the Fin, what's his name, can you help me out here? (Runs to Xbox) Oh yes, Selanne to play with him. What,wait,how? Christenson is bigger then Selanne?? Probably just my Xbox telling me lies.

Who would you rather have in those roles Brown and Parros? If your going to say Ebbett is not an NHL player how the HELL can you say Brown is? Brown has never been able to play an entire NHL season and you want him to be on the checking line?

And another thing I did NOT want a Christenson-Ebbett-Marchant checking line. I do not know how well your reading skills are but I think it states quite clearly that it is not my checking line. My Fourth line is a checking line but I think Miller should switch with Marchant after thinking about it. You would rather have an intimidating fourth line huh? Well we can send Brown and Parros out there and nick name that the GAPG. Has nothing to do with last names, but still gives them an accurate name.

Now for my fandom. I was a casual fan from 7-2 (I think) against Detroit through the 7 game comeback against the Yotes (Did they have a whiteout that year?) and then getting 4-0'd by Detroit a couple times. I became a hardcore fan when the team went on the run in 02-03. Since then in the 03-04,05-06,06-07,07-08,08-09 seasons I have caught probably 95% of Ducks games. I have also been to my share of them, but I live in the Inland Empire so it is kind of hard to get there some times. Sadly I don't get KDOC so when the game is on that channel, I kind of get screwed over.

Quote:
Brilliant. Let's go against everything our HEAD COACH has done in the past and is saying now.

Last edited by 8inblack: 07-15-2009 at 01:51 PM.