HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top six forwards

Old
07-11-2009, 02:06 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

vCash: 500
Top six forwards

Hey guys, right now our top six forwards are as followed in no order:

C: Lecavelier
C: Stamkos
RW: Marty St. Louis
LW: Vinny Prospal
RW: Ryan Malone
LW: Steve Downie??

My question is do we make another move for another top six forward now that we have all the other positions set. What would you guys do? Maybe move some of our other d-men who are not needed now? Keep it the same and wait to see how it goes? Do you pick up another free agent? I was away at college last year and didnt see Downie play at all last year, is he top 6 forward material?

Drouin2Stamkos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 02:43 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Downie did play well with Stamkos when they were together and showed some chemistry, so there is hope they can make some magic happen again this season especially if they are playing with Marty. I do however don't think he's a top 6 forward, or at least not yet, so I would prefer it if we were able to get someone else who is a little more proven.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 10:56 AM
BoltSTH

With our glut at D I think we will package 1 or 2 of them for a top six winger. If not I would like to see R2 and Downie given a shot in camp/preseason. R2-Stamkos-MSL would be a very fast line.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Untamable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
With our glut at D I think we will package 1 or 2 of them for a top six winger.
This is what I think is in the works.

Untamable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
With our glut at D I think we will package 1 or 2 of them for a top six winger. If not I would like to see R2 and Downie given a shot in camp/preseason. R2-Stamkos-MSL would be a very fast line.
Keep R2 away from the top 6. He's done nothing to prove he's that.

I have a feeling a trade will include a forward as well. Craig, Karsums, Jones, someone like that.

Looking at rosters, the Rangers seem to need depth D and have a glut of forwards.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 07-11-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Arty isn't a Top 6. He has no hands.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
garmonbozia

Retread options on the FA scrap heap are dwindling and/or not very great options to start with. (Jason Williams? Bertuzzi? Sykora?)

But, looking more at trade targets (focusing on RWs) I see better fits from one of the following franchises:

Anaheim - Perry, Ryan, Selanne, Lupul, Parros, and Brown
Boston - Ryder, Wheeler, Kobasew, Recchi, Thorton, Bitz
Chicago - Hossa, Kane, Versteeeg, Brouwer, Byfuglien, Skille
Nashville - Dumont, Sullivan, Tootoo, Ward, Belak, Hornqvist
SJ - Michalek, Clowe, Cheechoo, Setogouchi, and Grier is a FA but hasn't ever seemed to be part of the problem there (could still be an option if they moved one of the others)

lesser fits

Vancouver - Demitra, Samuelsson, Bernier, Burrows (if on the twin's wing), Kesler (on the wing when they had the dpeth w/Sundin down the middle), Hansen, Grabner
NJ - Rolston, Zubrus, Langenbrunner, Bergfors, Halishuk
Colorado - Hejduk, Svatos, Stewart, Jones, Willsie

Of all those, Anaheim and Chicago seem to have the largest likelihood of shipping a wing out. Boston, San jose, and Vancouver have the better fits for what we would likely be offering in return. My personal hopes would be toward Lawton working something out with Anaheim or San Jose, I think any of the top 4 RWs from either could fit into a top 6 role easy enough.

All that said, it won't surprise me to see nobody signed or dealt for. There are some options (even if less than ideal) in the mix of whats currently under contract. It seems all too possible that they'd try to fit some of the parts they have in first then go out and get something on the trade market if it doesn't work but the team remains competitive. Waiting might also be to the benefit of improving the perceived value of assets heading out.

I don't think this piece of the puzzle gets figured out until much closer to seasons start.

garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
Retread options on the FA scrap heap are dwindling and/or not very great options to start with. (Jason Williams? Bertuzzi? Sykora?)

But, looking more at trade targets (focusing on RWs) I see better fits from one of the following franchises:

Anaheim - Perry, Ryan, Selanne, Lupul, Parros, and Brown
Boston - Ryder, Wheeler, Kobasew, Recchi, Thorton, Bitz
Chicago - Hossa, Kane, Versteeeg, Brouwer, Byfuglien, Skille
Nashville - Dumont, Sullivan, Tootoo, Ward, Belak, Hornqvist
SJ - Michalek, Clowe, Cheechoo, Setogouchi, and Grier is a FA but hasn't ever seemed to be part of the problem there (could still be an option if they moved one of the others)

lesser fits

Vancouver - Demitra, Samuelsson, Bernier, Burrows (if on the twin's wing), Kesler (on the wing when they had the dpeth w/Sundin down the middle), Hansen, Grabner
NJ - Rolston, Zubrus, Langenbrunner, Bergfors, Halishuk
Colorado - Hejduk, Svatos, Stewart, Jones, Willsie

Of all those, Anaheim and Chicago seem to have the largest likelihood of shipping a wing out. Boston, San jose, and Vancouver have the better fits for what we would likely be offering in return. My personal hopes would be toward Lawton working something out with Anaheim or San Jose, I think any of the top 4 RWs from either could fit into a top 6 role easy enough.

All that said, it won't surprise me to see nobody signed or dealt for. There are some options (even if less than ideal) in the mix of whats currently under contract. It seems all too possible that they'd try to fit some of the parts they have in first then go out and get something on the trade market if it doesn't work but the team remains competitive. Waiting might also be to the benefit of improving the perceived value of assets heading out.

I don't think this piece of the puzzle gets figured out until much closer to seasons start.
I'd like a trade for Michalek.

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I have a feeling that Zherdev is more important than we're giving him credit for.

Zherdev's days in New York are possibly numbered with the signings of Gaborik and Kotalik. I don't see how Sather can keep all of his forwards. Zherdev has never been considered a Tortorella type of player anyway.

We may not get Zherdev ourselves (and I hope we don't), but the team that does may need to offload.

Colorado's situation also intrigues me. Depending on how much they want to retool, Hejduk or Svatos might be in play.

Old
07-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I have a feeling that Zherdev is more important than we're giving him credit for.

Zherdev's days in New York are possibly numbered with the signings of Gaborik and Kotalik. I don't see how Sather can keep all of his forwards. Zherdev has never been considered a Tortorella type of player anyway.

We may not get Zherdev ourselves (and I hope we don't), but the team that does may need to offload.

Colorado's situation also intrigues me. Depending on how much they want to retool, Hejduk or Svatos might be in play.
It's not like we don't give him credit, I give him and would like to see him in Tampa, but some people in this board think Zherdev is too lazy.

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Mr Underhill

Svatos is interesting. He would be good, and Colorado is definitely rebuilding, so they would lover some prospects. Hes signed for cheap, so Colorado probably likes that, but he is a UFA after next year so they might not want to spend the cash on a new contract for him.

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:37 PM
garmonbozia

Quote:
Zherdev has that feeling too, unfortunately.

Quote:
Zherdev has never been considered a Tortorella type of player anyway.
In fairness, the two didn't spend much time together but I agree things likely won't show any different the longer it goes on. Are Gaborik and Kotalik really Torts type of guys either though?

Is Zherdev really Tocchet's type of player?

Zherdev's talents, attributes, and potential aren't without cost. First would be the cost in trade, its not like Vrbata for Zherdev is going to magically get dropped on us. He's not yet signed to a contract, one high enough the New York Bankers would rather trade than come to terms with. Seems a high risk situation all around. I think he re-signs with the Rangers and isn't moved.

garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
Yeah, the only thing R2 would really be good at in a "scoring line" role would be on a PP unit where he just parks his ass in front of a goalie. Other than that, he really doesn't have any offensive ability. His little skate down the boards and cut to the net move is nice, but there's no finish to it. He doesn't have the hands to finish the play off and half the time he'll just plow over the goalie and get a call because he's big.

The obvious move would be to move for a top 6 forward would be to package a defenseman and maybe a pick for one. I really doubt they're going to go the free agency route unless Lawton knows another ex-client who's willing to take a bit of a paycut to come here.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:31 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jul...rts-lightning/

in recent Stamkos news..
Quote:
Last year's No. 1 pick made a cameo appearance at the Lightning's prospect camp over the weekend and as he made the rounds, he had everyone asking, "Seen Stamkos?"....And based on how the 19-year-old looked during his brief stop in Tampa, he's been working on adding muscle to his 6-foot-1 frame.

Some around the St. Pete Times Forum were commenting on how much bigger Stamkos looks, even stating he's added a set of six-pack abs.

"I changed the offseason training up. I'm actually working with former teammate Gary Roberts," Stamkos said. "We've been working out at the gym he has in his house, which is only about 20 minutes from my house. Things are going well. I'm working hard and I'm learning from one of the best when it comes to off-ice training throughout his career."

Understanding the work required to stay at a top level for years to come, Roberts said, will make Stamkos a star for the next decade and beyond.

"He wants to be the best he can be and he understands the work you need to do off the ice to be an elite player," Roberts said. "Now he's in the second stage of the program and he's passed me. I can't keep up. I do the retirement program and he's on the elite player program."

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 06:56 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

****in' right. Now I love you again, Gary Roberts.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 07:10 AM
TBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
No head either.

TBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I don't think some of you understood what I'm getting at.

Every free agent season, there are a few players who can basically hold everyone else's transactions up. I think Zherdev is one of those guys. Sundin was one of those guys last year.

I don't want him on the Lightning because of his attitude and work ethic problems, and I hope that Lawton feels the same. What I was suggesting was that, should Zherdev be traded, the team that takes him on may then need to make a trade themselves. This is where Tampa potentially comes in.

Old
07-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Mr Underhill

Lightning in on Tanguay (E69)

http://twitter.com/eklund

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...art-Up/1/22128

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...id=1&page=last

According to Jon Jordan:
Quote:
Could be something to this Tanguay thing ...

JJ

Last edited by Mr Underhill: 07-14-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old
07-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I don't see how Tanguay could be asking for as much as he made last time. Especially this late in free agency. He could be the bargain of the year.

Old
07-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
I don't see how Tanguay could be asking for as much as he made last time. Especially this late in free agency. He could be the bargain of the year.
I dont think he gets $5 million per with his injury last year and the future market. This guy would be perfect on Vinny's wing. He is a great passer and play-maker, and Vinny needs a good passer playing with him. Pretty good 2 way player if I'm not mistaking.

Old
07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
I dont think he gets $5 million per with his injury last year and the future market. This guy would be perfect on Vinny's wing. He is a great passer and play-maker, and Vinny needs a good passer playing with him. Pretty good 2 way player if I'm not mistaking.
...and completely, totally soft.

Old
07-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
...and completely, totally soft.
...and 10x more talented than any other option we have for that spot. He doesn't have to be hard anyways. He just has to make plays with Vinny. He would be playing on a line with a very tough center.

Old
07-14-2009, 12:59 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
...and 10x more talented than any other option we have for that spot. He doesn't have to be hard anyways. He just has to make plays with Vinny. He would be playing on a line with a very tough center.
I just don't see it happening unless he comes on the cheap. Very cheap.

Old
07-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
I just don't see it happening unless he comes on the cheap. Very cheap.
$3.5 to $4 would be ideal. But if we signed him for more than that, and we made a trade or 2 to shed salary, that would work as well.

Old
07-14-2009, 01:43 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
$3.5 to $4 would be ideal. But if we signed him for more than that, and we made a trade or 2 to shed salary, that would work as well.
He'd have to be sub 3 for me. He hasn't touched 20 goals in 2 seasons and has only been healthy for one.