HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes trade Enver Lisin for Lauri Korpikoski

Old
07-13-2009, 07:24 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Coyotes trade Enver Lisin for Lauri Korpikoski

Coyotes Trade Enver Lisin to New York Rangers for forward Lauri Korpikoski

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:25 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Lisin for Korpikoski

Still no thread for this? ???

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Jakeman

I think it's a whale of a good trade...... Korpikoski has alot of skill and higher potential in my eyes.......Lisin was fast with no finish and he was also the worst in the plus minus department. Korpikoski didn't really get alot of a chance to do anything for the Rangers because of how hard it is to crack their top six! I love this deal, I watched him play alot.....he is a good player with loads of upside.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm not happy. I think this maybe Lisin for a younger version of Freddy Sjostrom. I'll have to wait and see, though.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Jakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm not happy. I think this maybe Lisin for a younger version of Freddy Sjostrom. I'll have to wait and see, though.
Lisin couldn't penalty kill or play defence of any kind and Sjostrom could penalty kill and score every now and then. I like this deal ...we get a player back who can kill penalties and score and Korpikoski has potential to be a top six player.

Old
07-13-2009, 07:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Lisin couldn't penalty kill or play defence of any kind and Sjostrom could penalty kill and score every now and then. I like this deal ...we get a player back who can kill penalties and score and Korpikoski has potential to be a top six player.
Korpikoski had six goals in sixty eight games. Lisin had thirteen in fourty eight. In Lisin's seventy eight career NHL games his has eighteen goals. Korpikoski has six in his sixty eight.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:38 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
Still no thread for this? ???
I don't know much about Korpikoski, so it is hard for me to really judge this trade. I like Lisin and I think he had great potential, but if you look at the stats, it looks like a wash with Korpikoski being the better face-off man and perhaps better in his own zone, but Lisin having the higher offensive potential.

Anyone with more knowledge on Korpikoski's ability and potential?

Forecaster Scouting Report:
Quote:
Lauri Korpikoski

Assets Is extremely shifty and creative with the puck, though speed is his best attribute. Make things happen on the ice. Is a good face-off man.
Flaws Needs to add more muscle in order to withstand the physical pounding on smaller ice surfaces. Must show greater scoring consistency going forward.
Career Potential Top six forward.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:46 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I don't know much about Korpikoski, so it is hard for me to really judge this trade. I like Lisin and I think he had great potential, but if you look at the stats, it looks like a wash with Korpikoski being the better face-off man and perhaps better in his own zone, but Lisin having the higher offensive potential.

Hockey's Future Scouting Report:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/lauri_korpikoski

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 07-13-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: cannot cut and paste more than a couple lines, also no link
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:48 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Korpikoski had six goals in sixty eight games. Lisin had thirteen in fourty eight. In Lisin's seventy eight career NHL games his has eighteen goals. Korpikoski has six in his sixty eight.
If you think that the stats are where it ends you are totally wrong. Korpikoski has great speed and GREAT 2 way play. Played a ton on the PK and 4th line with 2 stone for hands players. Wrang a ton of shots off the pipe the entire season. Give him time to develop and the Rangers just made a big mistake.

(The mistake part is a homer comment mainly because I don't know how good Lisin is, but Korpikoski has a high ceiling for potential)

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:52 PM
The Fuhr

Korpikoski I am a huge fan of, reminds me of a Sami Kapenen type player.

Even following a similar development path.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:54 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post

Rangers fans not too happy with this deal, may be good sign. No matter what any of us thinks of Lisin, it was obvious at season' end when Maloney hinted that Lisin would be back if he signed a two-way deal that he did not figure in our plans. We got something for him, and LK sounds like a good two-way prospect with some NHL experience. And he's only 22. The glass looks half-full through my rose-colored glasses.

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:57 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I think the Rangers took this trade. I am not really sure what the love affair with Korpikoski is and Ranger fans but Lisin is a much better player when it comes to the offensive side of things. Korpedo may have more on the defensive side but his offense isn't close to Lisin's. I guess Maloney was looking for a more all around kind of guy. Korpikoski got some time on the PK last season so maybe thats why he is coming here.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:04 PM
indczn

Because its easier to trade for guys who can play defense, than to hire a coach that can teach it.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Jakeman

Quote:
Different teams! Lisin some times was put on the top two lines......Korpikoski couldn't crack the top two lines due numbers and being able to afford better talent through free agency. Stats don't always tell what a player is capable of....... it also depends on the situation a player is put into.

Old
07-13-2009, 08:08 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

I am going on record:

I HATE THIS TRADE!!!!

Stupid, stupid Coyotes!!!!

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:10 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Well, I know nothing about the "Korpedo" but I'm not too surprised Lisin's gone. I've sensed for the past two years there was something that Maloney, Gretzky and co. didn't like about his game even with that amazing speed and scoring touch. I was resigned to him going to the KHL so getting Korpikoski back is a bonus IMO.

Still... ol' Enver was exciting to watch when he decided to play. I'll miss those lightning breakaways.

One thing I will say - the desire Don Maloney has to bring the Rangers to Phoenix worries me at times.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:12 PM
GophersGoneWild
Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootThePuckCoyotes View Post
I am going on record:

I HATE THIS TRADE!!!!

Stupid, stupid Coyotes!!!!
Why? Not saying I agree or disagree but just curious for your reasoning. That's like emphatically saying "I love fat chicks!" and then not giving a reason why.

GophersGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:13 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
I think the Rangers took this trade. I am not really sure what the love affair with Korpikoski is and Ranger fans but Lisin is a much better player when it comes to the offensive side of things. Korpedo may have more on the defensive side but his offense isn't close to Lisin's. I guess Maloney was looking for a more all around kind of guy. Korpikoski got some time on the PK last season so maybe thats why he is coming here.
Korpedo was first heralded as a 2 way prospect with very good offensive upside. But when most of his time is on the PK or as a shut down line, not a ton of offense can be generated. Korpikoski has all the tools but if he some how ends up with 3rd MAYBE 2nd line duties on the Yotes, then obviously I would expect to see his numbers to go up.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:19 PM
ducky

I am disappointed.

If we were going to trade Lisin a better deal could have been had, I'm pretty sure.

Did GMDM try to trade him at the deadline to Pittsburgh for example. Putting Lisin with Malkin

Maybe it became apparent Lisin would not sign under GMDM's terms? It will be interesting to hear what Maloney has to say.

Guess Korpikoski is a decent 2 way guy with some upside. An upgrade over Winnik?

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:20 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Hockey_in_AZ View Post
Why? Not saying I agree or disagree but just curious for your reasoning. That's like emphatically saying "I love fat chicks!" and then not giving a reason why.
Because I think Lisin was an exciting player who was improving every year inspite of TGO. Everytime he had the puck I would move to the edge of my seat because there was a good chance something awesome was going to happen. He had true first line potential on a team who needs first and second liners not third and fourth liners. We have plenty of those.

Old
07-13-2009, 08:21 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
Korpedo was first heralded as a 2 way prospect with very good offensive upside. But when most of his time is on the PK or as a shut down line, not a ton of offense can be generated. Korpikoski has all the tools but if he some how ends up with 3rd MAYBE 2nd line duties on the Yotes, then obviously I would expect to see his numbers to go up.
That sounds a lot like what we were saying about Freddie Sjostrom. Drafted high based on sound two-way play and wheels, and while the defense and speed manifest themselves constantly, he always leaves you wanting as far as offense and specifically offensive production.

Coincidentally, the things we're saying about Lisin also echo what we said about Sjostrom when he left: he's good, he's just been misused, and his shortcomings are a reflection of poor coaching rather than his own limitations. We (myself loudly included) insisted the Coyotes would regret trading Sjostrom, but he hasn't been much for the Rangers that he wasn't for the Coyotes. Whether that's because the Coyotes ruined him, because he's not a great player, or something else entirely is impossible to distinguish, but the point is, neither Sjostrom nor Lisin nor Korpikoski has shown anything to this point to make anyone especially upset.

Maybe Lisin will turn into the next Bure in New York. Maybe Korpikoski will be the next Lehtinen in Phoenix. Maybe neither. Maybe both.

Let's wait and see.

In a "worst case scenario" sort of perspective, perhaps the acquisitions of Fiddler and Korpikoski signal the Coyotes' intentions of giving Hanzal more of an offensive role this year.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:22 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
I am disappointed.

If we were going to trade Lisin a better deal could have been had, I'm pretty sure.

Did GMDM try to trade him at the deadline to Pittsburgh for example. Putting Lisin with Malkin

Maybe it became apparent Lisin would not sign under GMDM's terms? It will be interesting to hear what Maloney has to say.

Guess Korpikoski is a decent 2 way guy with some upside. An upgrade over Winnik?
If this is why we traded him then so be it....If I were Lisin I woudn't have signed a two-way deal either. Man I am pissed!

Old
07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Fish

Don Maloney was actually the one who ran the draft when they picked Korpikoski...it was a guy he really gushed about after they selected him, so he'll join Montoya, Prucha and Dawes as guys he liked from the Rangers system.

In terms of what you get, Korpikoski indeed is a great skater, works hard along the boards, but not a big hitter by any stretch. His defensive ability is more about skating and taking away lanes and putting pressure on the puck carrier than it necessarily is forcing take aways or laying on the body. He was useful on the PK because of his speed.

Offensively he has his moments, scored a few key goals from the slot of all places. He doesn't necessarily possess a great shot, but some times you look at what he does and wonder where it came from. His first NHL goal was actually in his first NHL game...the 2008 playoffs vs the Penguins, and he beat Fleury coming down the wing on a partial break...Fleury probably should've had it.

In my mind he's a third wing kind of guy, maybe a 10-15 goal kind of guy...just not sure he's got the potential to do more. With that said, he went down to the AHL at one point this past season and was dominating offensively, so it appears there might be some room for him to develop that aspect of his game.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:25 PM
PhoPhan

Another thesis. Trading Lisin for a young defensive stalwart could be because:

a) negotiations with Lisin were stalled.
b) negotiations with Dan Winnik were stalled.
c) both a) and b).

Either way, this team still has too many warm bodies, although I suspect that's a problem that won't be sorted out until training camp is underway.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:27 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Am ambivalent about a guy named "Lauri".

Maybe lisin didn't want to sign. His speed will be missed. It's kind of cool to have the NHLs fastest player. If he lights it up with the rangers....

Now we have a logjam at the 3rd and 4th lines:

Hanzal
Tikh
Boedker
Winnik
Fiddler
Fedoruk
Korpi
Porter (?)
GMDM Goon (?)

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote