HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I may have seriously underestimated Brian Lawton

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Hockeyfan02

vCash: 500
I don't think he's as bad as people on the main board make him out to be, but can't call him a good GM yet. In the past two weeks he's made a lot of good moves, but it takes a few years of good moves to be a good GM. You can't judge his drafting yet til about 4-5 years down the road when these guys should be coming in to the NHL. I think his moves in free agency have been good(though I think Walker was an overpayment). I think he's done ok in trades. Most of his trades have been even where both teams have benefited(the Eminger trade looks better now than it did at the deadline). I do feel better about the future of this team with all the young talent he's brought in since he's been GM. All that matters is how it all plays out on the ice. Can he make this a playoff team...and if they get back in the playoffs how does he make the team a cup contender....can he pull off a big trade(if he's forced to move Lecavalier for example) and make the team better from that trade. I'm hoping what we're seeing this offseason is what we're going to get from Lawton and ownership which is what looks like an organization with a plan. What we got last season was a mess and it showed on the ice. Hopefully what looks like some solid moves will bear that out in October.

Old
07-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Bobsled and I missed the perfect opportunity to show Lawton this thread.

Old
07-11-2009, 04:53 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Bobsled and I missed the perfect opportunity to show Lawton this thread.
Damnit really? You have met him as well?

That is the worst part about following a sport in another country you dont get to meet any of them, only NHL player I have ever met is Antropov when I walked into the NHL store in NY and he happened to be doing a signing

I still think they should do prospect camp/training camp in Oxford

Old
07-11-2009, 04:24 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Way too early to give anyone credit for anything of substance.

#1 The payroll is in the mid 50's and cap # over 50M so the other shoe might drop. Lawton might have to trade off talent at a loss and since he acquired players that added to payroll, losing them because of payroll still shows up on his ledger. That's why OB for Kraijek matters if you beleive it was done for $$$ purposes.

#2 The team finished 29th after finishing 30th the previous season. Making a roster, so pitiful it could finish that poorly, better shouldn't be a difficult task. His genius didn't add Stamkos or Hedman.

#3 Other teams make changes and remaking your team in reaction to the past doesn't always work out in the future.

#4 Haven't played a game yet...see last season.

Old
07-11-2009, 11:42 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheBrunnenG View Post
Way too early to give anyone credit for anything of substance.

#1 The payroll is in the mid 50's and cap # over 50M so the other shoe might drop. Lawton might have to trade off talent at a loss and since he acquired players that added to payroll, losing them because of payroll still shows up on his ledger. That's why OB for Kraijek matters if you beleive it was done for $$$ purposes.

#2 The team finished 29th after finishing 30th the previous season. Making a roster, so pitiful it could finish that poorly, better shouldn't be a difficult task. His genius didn't add Stamkos or Hedman.

#3 Other teams make changes and remaking your team in reaction to the past doesn't always work out in the future.

#4 Haven't played a game yet...see last season.
How have the last two drafts rubbed you?

Old
07-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Off Center

i agree any assessment of lawton or his drafting\GM work cannot include a discussion of stamkos or hedman. had he drafted anyone else in those slots, those 2 names would have to be part of a discussion on his undeniable insanity. had he traded either pick away, there would be a decision-making process to dissect....but drafting those guys 1 and 2 was paint-by-numbers simple.

Old
07-13-2009, 01:41 PM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Center View Post
i agree any assessment of lawton or his drafting\GM work cannot include a discussion of stamkos or hedman. had he drafted anyone else in those slots, those 2 names would have to be part of a discussion on his undeniable insanity. had he traded either pick away, there would be a decision-making process to dissect....but drafting those guys 1 and 2 was paint-by-numbers simple.
I don't think anyone is basing it off just those two picks either.

Old
07-13-2009, 09:33 PM
TBLHoser

Anything beats Dudley...

Old
07-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Tokala

I think it has more to do with the meddling of the 2 owners. Lawton hasn't really been able to do his job until the week before the draft.

Closed Thread