HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Komisarek-how good is he?

Old
07-13-2009, 01:26 PM
AntonCH

vCash: 500
Komisarek will be a fan fav in Toronto in no time.
As long as someone else handles the puck he'll do ok.

I'm curious to see him play Lucic this year.

One thing though,
Very few D-men in the league earn $4.5+ million per year and not get significant PP time.

In the right situation he will flourish, burkie and komi; a match made in heaven

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 01:44 PM
jcpenny

This is my take on Mike Komisarek. The guy is built like a linebacker and is freaking athletic for a guy his size, rare combination. When Komi was drafted he was described as a stay at home D, really good skater for his size with a mean streak and a bit of an offensive flair to his game. As a matter of fact, he had decent offensive numbers in his time in College and in the AHL. Once he arrived in the NHL, he focused only his game on the defensive side.

Komi made his name for his high intensity, passion for the game, hes a leader, a warrior who will do anything to win. You need players like him in your team but these guys arent worth 4.5 M. Komi's game hasnt evolve since his arrival in the NHL. Some say that last year was only one bad year but the truth is that hes still makes the same mistakes he made when he was a rookie;

He cant make a decent first pass out of hes zone, gets rid of the puck under pressure, lacks hockey sense, lacks poise and will lose his composure when provoked.

Komi was supposed to be a way better player than he is now. Last year he played like a 6th Defensman and at his best, hes no better than a 4th. Whos to blame for his lack of developpement? I say the management has a lot to do with it. Habs never had a real effective transition game or defensive system where he could have grown and understand the game more. Aside from Markov Habs havent been that good at developping young defensmen. Many had to leave to realize their potential (Streit, Beauchemin, Robidas, Hainsey, Rivet).

I wouldnt throw the towel on Komi becoming a top defenseman in this league. He still has a lot to learn and in the right system, i can see him flourish.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:01 PM
la25ecoupe

Komo not the same player since Elisha left him.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I'll sum up Komisarek.

When he's a hab - He's a beast
Now that he's a leaf - he blows chunks.

hab fans mentality, did I do it right ?
You did it better than you think Hab's fans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
That sums it up.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:41 PM
odishabs

this is where his season changed, he might have thrown 10 hits after this fight, the whole season. IMO it's bc he was scared they might fight back

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
This is my take on Mike Komisarek. The guy is built like a linebacker and is freaking athletic for a guy his size, rare combination. When Komi was drafted he was described as a stay at home D, really good skater for his size with a mean streak and a bit of an offensive flair to his game. As a matter of fact, he had decent offensive numbers in his time in College and in the AHL. Once he arrived in the NHL, he focused only his game on the defensive side.

Komi made his name for his high intensity, passion for the game, hes a leader, a warrior who will do anything to win. You need players like him in your team but these guys arent worth 4.5 M. Komi's game hasnt evolve since his arrival in the NHL. Some say that last year was only one bad year but the truth is that hes still makes the same mistakes he made when he was a rookie;

He cant make a decent first pass out of hes zone, gets rid of the puck under pressure, lacks hockey sense, lacks poise and will lose his composure when provoked.

Komi was supposed to be a way better player than he is now. Last year he played like a 6th Defensman and at his best, hes no better than a 4th. Whos to blame for his lack of developpement? I say the management has a lot to do with it. Habs never had a real effective transition game or defensive system where he could have grown and understand the game more. Aside from Markov Habs havent been that good at developping young defensmen. Many had to leave to realize their potential (Streit, Beauchemin, Robidas, Hainsey, Rivet).

I wouldnt throw the towel on Komi becoming a top defenseman in this league. He still has a lot to learn and in the right system, i can see him flourish.
This.

It's everything I wanted to write but fell too lazy to do. Komo is really good at the defensive part of the game but his first pass is far below average. Komo needs a talented mobile partner to cycle the puck to along the boards. If Kaberle sticks around, Komo will make you happy. Else, however good Komo is defensively, he's going to be on the ice for many goals given an aggressive forecheck.

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:41 PM
lou4gehrig

It's hard to say how good Komi will be. He was playing opposite a top 5 D-man in Markov.

We'll either see Markov significantly raising the level of his new partner (thus Markov carried Komi) or we'll see Markov drop off alot without Komi.

I'm thinking Markov will show that he carried Komi.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:42 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Phaneuf not the same player since Elisha started dating him. Go figure?

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

he's a great stay at home dman and will punish forwards down low, but that's about all he can do. Don't expect him to be able to lead your defence. He is a great character guy, but the fact that he would sign for a rebuilding team indicates that he's simply in it for the money. I'll still miss him in Montreal though.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 04:02 PM
DoanStopBelieving

If you get the Komisarek of two years ago, you're getting an absolute beast. He wasn't the best with the puck, but he usually just gave it to Markov anyway so it wasn't an issue. He was never much of a fighter, but he'd stand up for his teammates, and his hits were huge.

Last season, well, after the Lucy incident, he was a total schemp. He still blocked shots like aces, but he didn't throw many hits, threw the puck up the ice instead of differing to Markov, and just generally panicked whenever he was pressured. I don't know if he was scared of re-injuring his shoulder, or if Lucic's ass-whooping just ********* him, but the guy was not the same Komi.

So, Leafs fans... you might have gotten a total steal at 4.5, especially if you let him play with Kaberle. On the other hand, you may have just signed Patrick Traverse to one of the worst contracts in the league.

DoanStopBelieving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Let me explain you the story of Komisarek

Komisarek was a god in Montreal, but one day he met Milan Lucic, and well you know the story, he got **** in the bottom so hard that now he can't throw a hit.

So now that he is with Toronto, Komisarek thinks that he's safe from Lucic, however Lucic has a great plan, instead of beating Komisarek in Montreal, he'll just beat him in Toronto, he'll beat him so hard that we can hear Komisarek scream for help at Laraque

But Laraque is "injured", so heh

This is the story of little Komisarek who was scared of the monster.

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 04:35 PM
HabsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
Let me explain you the story of Komisarek

Komisarek was a god in Montreal, but one day he met Milan Lucic, and well you know the story, he got **** in the bottom so hard that now he can't throw a hit.

So now that he is with Toronto, Komisarek thinks that he's safe from Lucic, however Lucic has a great plan, instead of beating Komisarek in Montreal, he'll just beat him in Toronto, he'll beat him so hard that we can hear Komisarek scream for help at Laraque

But Laraque is "injured", so heh

This is the story of little Komisarek who was scared of the monster.
Problem was right there

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 05:08 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post

this is where his season changed, he might have thrown 10 hits after this fight, the whole season. IMO it's bc he was scared they might fight back
Yes, an injured shoulder will change a season. Komisarek was exchanging punches with Lucic until he injured the shoulder, at which time Lucic dominated the fight. If Komi were leaving Montreal to avoid Lucic, I am sure that there are several Western Conference teams who would have been happy to sign him. It also took a lot of guts for Mike to sign with Toronto, since Leaf fans and Canadiens fans are easily the most harsh critics of their teams' players.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:00 PM
HABitual Fan

I pretty much agree with what most have said, the only thing that i have not seen mentioned is that Komisarek has a major mobility problem when moving to his left, hence his need for a strong partner on the left side. If Hab fans look back his effectiveness and hits are when he is moving to his right, very few open ice hits and when he moves the puck it is very rare he ventures to his left. I would even consider trying him on left defense to see if this allows him to cover more ground.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Honestly, after watching a few Komisarek videos, the Habs will miss him way more than we think. The guy scares other players, his checks are thunderous and I'm not looking forward to see Habs players getting creamed along the boards.

He'll be a fan favorite in Toronto no doubt and I give it about 7-8 weeks into the season before a few ignorant Leafs fan start saying he's a top 10-20D and 3-4 months before the clueless bandwagon joins the parade.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:48 PM
RNHabs

Just whisper Lucic to his ears and he becomes invisible for 3 months ...
collecting turn over like no ones, thanks god he's gone.

RNHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
THE ICINGS, god help me the icings....

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:07 PM
DamianHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
When he's healthy he is outstanding and has the capability to take over a game. He was one of our best players in 07-08. Losing him to injury this past year killed us and was a big reason for our 2nd half decline.

IF he's healthy, you guys have a great defenseman. He'd be great with Kaberle.
I'm sorry but Mike Komisarek has never taken over a game. He simply does not skate well enough to do so and one-dimensional players rarely take over games. At his best, he's a very good defensive defenseman. He'll block a ton of shots and is a gamer. His transition game is lacking and he has no offensive ability to speak of. And this bit about him being tough needs to be fleshed out. Yes, he hits hard but far too often, Komi's toughness has been about cross checking after the play is over.

A poor man's Craig Ludwig and that's overstating things.

DamianHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:19 PM
kernkraft

I thought he was the best shut-down dman in the league in 2007-2008. Led the NHL in hits, shots blocked. He's 6'4 240 lbs but relatively mobile. You'll rarely see a player cut around him.

2008-2009 was disastrous for him. The myth that he started to suck after his correction by Lucic has been perpetrated for a while in the public. Truth is, he sucked before that. He just wasn't his "old" self from the beginning of the season. Couldn't handle the puck (the old adage "hot potato" comes to mind), made mistake after mistake, couldn't hit or scare a chipmunk.

So to Toronto fans, I say, you should expect a mixture of both. Don't expect any offense from Mike. He's big and will sacrifice his body and if he feels confident enough, he'll lay a good hit here and there (almost never open-ice) but he's no Scott Stevens or Nicklas Kronwall. Basically, Komi is great when he doesn't need to touch the puck. His main problem is when he can't do that simple task anymore.

Oh yeah, and don't ask him to fight.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:20 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Honestly, after watching a few Komisarek videos, the Habs will miss him way more than we think. The guy scares other players, his checks are thunderous and I'm not looking forward to see Habs players getting creamed along the boards.

He'll be a fan favorite in Toronto no doubt and I give it about 7-8 weeks into the season before a few ignorant Leafs fan start saying he's a top 10-20D and 3-4 months before the clueless bandwagon joins the parade.
How much do you think we'll miss his "I'll stand right here at the top of the circle and let them enter our zone with no problem what-so-ever" play style? Yeah the guy can hit, but rarely are they momentum changing or influencing hits. He's got a terrible stick, whether it be poke-checking or puck handling, he's way below average. Quite probably the best shot-blocker in the league, but he's almost completely sacrificed his effectiveness defensively with this play style. How many times has he blocked a shot only for it to go right back to the opposition who either score or pass it to a wide open player Mike should have been checking? He needs to get back to playing defense and forget about trying to kill anyone carrying the puck (which he really doesn't) or block every shot taken (cover your man/zone instead?!).

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:24 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
I thought he was the best shut-down dman in the league in 2007-2008.
He wasn't even the best shut-down d-man on his team (Markov by a mile). IMO Hammer has been better than Komi in both of the last two seasons.

Old
07-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
In all seriousness man, I hope Komisarek has a good year, he was a GREAT teammate, many habs fans were calling him Koivu's replacement as our captain for year. By the end of the year he honestly became a defensive reliablility! After getting pummled by Lucic, He was never, ever the same. But with the team USA GM watching him Lets hope that will change!

cheers
liability

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
How much do you think we'll miss his "I'll stand right here at the top of the circle and let them enter our zone with no problem what-so-ever" play style? Yeah the guy can hit, but rarely are they momentum changing or influencing hits. He's got a terrible stick, whether it be poke-checking or puck handling, he's way below average. Quite probably the best shot-blocker in the league, but he's almost completely sacrificed his effectiveness defensively with this play style. How many times has he blocked a shot only for it to go right back to the opposition who either score or pass it to a wide open player Mike should have been checking? He needs to get back to playing defense and forget about trying to kill anyone carrying the puck (which he really doesn't) or block every shot taken (cover your man/zone instead?!).
Best shot blocker imo is Volchenkov, Jay McKee was a beast too in the post-season.

You want a game changing hit?

How about a series changing hit:

Boston crumbled after that hit.

We'll mostly miss him when you'll be hoping to see an opposing teams forward get hit once every 20 games, maybe.

Don't kid yourselves, Komisarek definitely could alter the pace of a game. Maybe he can't anymore after this years humiliation, but if he returns to form you'll be wishing he signed out west.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:00 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Best shot blocker imo is Volchenkov, Jay McKee was a beast too in the post-season.

You want a game changing hit?

How about a series changing hit:

Boston crumbled after that hit.

We'll mostly miss him when you'll be hoping to see an opposing teams forward get hit once every 20 games, maybe.

Don't kid yourselves, Komisarek definitely could alter the pace of a game. Maybe he can't anymore after this years humiliation, but if he returns to form you'll be wishing he signed out west.
Exactly why I wrote "rarely momentum changing/influencing". Besides, that hit was hardly a thundering one. Rather, it was a smart one. Thornton was already hurt and that hit just further rendered him useless against us. I'd rather good all-around players than guys that "could" alter the pace of a game if all the stars align. Especially at 4.5 million.

At the end of the day, Mike Komisarek is a great #4, average #3.

Old
07-13-2009, 10:14 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
He wasn't even the best shut-down d-man on his team (Markov by a mile). IMO Hammer has been better than Komi in both of the last two seasons.
I'm not saying I was right. But I was posting on the forums like he was. I remember ridiculing some Vancouver fan when they tried to say that Willie Mitchell was better.

It just seemed that way. Maybe one of the better pure defensive dmen at the time.

Oh, and whenever he takes a shot from the point, he will hit the defending player right in front of him 9/10 times.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote