HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs-Sabres & Leafs-Blackhawks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2009, 09:45 PM
  #76
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Then don't trade for him; trade for Sopel, or even Huet for that matter. It just makes zero sense to trade for an all-star defenseman then sending him to the minors because you can't fit him under the cap.

If the Leafs did do this trade, then Kaberle would be gone. Trade him for a skilled forward. That gives you Finger's 3.5M, Van Ryn's 2.9M, and Kaberle's 4.25M; thus freeing up 10.65M to pay for Campbell's 7.14M plus 3.51M of the skilled forwards salary. You send Frogren and Stralman to the minors, and your total cap hit for defense this year is about 20.7M... pretty high, but workable.
We shouldn't be. The only appeal in a Campbell trade would be the first rounder + beach (or whatever it ends up being) without giving up much except for money (which we have a lot of). Taking on Sopel & Huet won't bring us that kind of return.

Kaberle is better and cheaper than Campbell. If find a deal that makes us a better team, we'll problably be seeing $4-5million in salary coming back in the form of a top line player. This year we maybe keep him on the roster, but long term he is a burial.

Its a simple case where the Leafs get paid in the form of picks/prospects to take on salary where the long term plan is to pay it in the AHL. Basically the same thing the Leafs did with Tampa, except on a much larger scale.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:56 PM
  #77
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
We shouldn't be. The only appeal in a Campbell trade would be the first rounder + beach (or whatever it ends up being) without giving up much except for money (which we have a lot of). Taking on Sopel & Huet won't bring us that kind of return.

Kaberle is better and cheaper than Campbell. If find a deal that makes us a better team, we'll problably be seeing $4-5million in salary coming back in the form of a top line player. This year we maybe keep him on the roster, but long term he is a burial.

Its a simple case where the Leafs get paid in the form of picks/prospects to take on salary where the long term plan is to pay it in the AHL. Basically the same thing the Leafs did with Tampa, except on a much larger scale.
man your hard headed. They aren't gonna pay a guy 7.14 million for say 5 or 4 years just so they can pick up a first and a prospect. It's just not something teams are looking to do. Yeah the leafs could do it if they wanted to but why would they want to? If his contract was up after next year yeah you can look at adding that kind of salary and accept it if you need to put him in the AHL if the need be. But you don't aquire a guy to put him in the minors and pay him that much for that long. There is just no logic to it what so ever.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:58 PM
  #78
My Sweet Shadow
Registered User
 
My Sweet Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
We shouldn't be. The only appeal in a Campbell trade would be the first rounder + beach (or whatever it ends up being) without giving up much except for money (which we have a lot of). Taking on Sopel & Huet won't bring us that kind of return.

Kaberle is better and cheaper than Campbell. If find a deal that makes us a better team, we'll problably be seeing $4-5million in salary coming back in the form of a top line player. This year we maybe keep him on the roster, but long term he is a burial.

Its a simple case where the Leafs get paid in the form of picks/prospects to take on salary where the long term plan is to pay it in the AHL. Basically the same thing the Leafs did with Tampa, except on a much larger scale.
Yes, whatever; reason as you may, any NHL GM that pulled off those series of moves should be taken out back and beaten with a hose.

This is all ignoring the fact that Campbell has a NTC... if there was even an inkling that he would see any time in the A, I can't see him agreeing to the move.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:00 PM
  #79
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
I am looking long-term, which is why I said don't trade for him. If you want to make a deal with Chicago involving us taking a salary dump, trade for Sopel or else swap Toskala for Huet+.

My beef was with the statement that the Leafs should do this deal then bury Campbell with the Marlies. If you make your bed, then you've got to sleep in it.
My bad i obviously misunderstood your point. You are very much right though about the kinds of guys you take on for salary purposes. Sopel or Huet would make way way more sense then Campbell. Huet is even a tough pill to swallow but definately an easier one.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:14 PM
  #80
Quik
Agent 0091
 
Quik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklin3011 View Post
If Chicago is getting rid of Campbell they are not going to take on two sucky ass players from Toronto for 5 million. Theyll take two sucky ass ppl worth 500 K. The whole point of getting rid of someone like Campbell is to free up Cap Space not free up 7 mill and then take back 5. Gotta love Toronto Maple Laffs trades...God they are such a bad org.
you realize that after this season, it gives you $3.5 worth of cap space, and Finger's contact is shorter than Soup's. Burke wouldn't trade the two of them straight up for that train wreck, nevermind adding our 1st.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:15 PM
  #81
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
man your hard headed. They aren't gonna pay a guy 7.14 million for say 5 or 4 years just so they can pick up a first and a prospect. It's just not something teams are looking to do. Yeah the leafs could do it if they wanted to but why would they want to? If his contract was up after next year yeah you can look at adding that kind of salary and accept it if you need to put him in the AHL if the need be. But you don't aquire a guy to put him in the minors and pay him that much for that long. There is just no logic to it what so ever.
Most teams don't, the leafs have a surplus of money and a lack of talent/high end assets. That kind of deal is the only way the Leafs can really convert money into talent/assets. They established a price last year of $500,000 for a 4th round selection.... now its just a matter of asset/price and scale. I really don't know what you can equate the remainder of Campbell's money to, you'd get into somepretty complicated math and assumptions that would likely be pretty arbitrary.

But, if the Hawks were willing to include 10 first round picks to take on Campbell's salary, the Leafs do it no question. If the Hawks weren't willing to give up more than a 7th round pick, there's no way the Leafs do it. The question now is if there is a point where both the Leafs & Hawks do it.

Its a lot of money, but adding a high end prospect like Beach + a 1st rounder without giving up anything significant would be a huge move for the franchise... if it allows them to win a Stanley Cup, that money is returned in droves.

As for the NTC, Campbell would likely be under the assumption that Kaberle would be on the way out and he'd get a spot (which he might this year). But in the long run he'd likely be a cap casualty.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:30 PM
  #82
mikeo1
Registered User
 
mikeo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklin3011 View Post
At this point Toronto has nothing, but Luke Schenn to trade and he really hasn't proved anything and is just a work in progress. The Leafs suck, and it's just being honest they have no fire power anyone would want.
I can see these proposals have hurt you deeply. My sympathies.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 10:58 PM
  #83
embracedbias
Registered User
 
embracedbias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweetyLeaf View Post
That is like saying that Beach is worth ~2 mil cap space.
...for 7 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklin3011 View Post
Gotta love Toronto Maple Laffs trades...God they are such a bad org.
How exactly do trade proposals on a hockey website reflect poorly on the Maple Leaf organization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Leafs fans will argue with you that he's already a top pairing dman and one of the elite young dmen in the league. They would argue that Schenn >>>> Claude Giroux but the truth is that both may have looked very good at times last year and both of their fans may carry their banner like a sword but the truth is that both still have a lot to prove and neither has established anything other than that they have "potential" and that they CAN play at the NHL level.
Am I to assume that you, too, proudly carry the Giroux banner like a sword? That is, considering the fact that you brought Giroux up immediately after you saw mention of Schenn (in a thread that has nothing to do with Philly, I might add).

For the record, Schenn is 2 years younger than Giroux... and has played 26 more games in his career so far.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 11:03 PM
  #84
Tombernack
Registered User
 
Tombernack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick96 View Post
Pominville is earning over $5 million a year?? No thanks from a Leafs POV, not that the trade is fair value or anything but Pominville is earning too much and the Leafs just inherited alot of salary this off-season and Pominville at over $5 million isn't needed.

Drew Stafford on the other hand is an intriguing player but his value would cause the Maple Leafs to overpay!
This.

JP is a solid player but he would become the Leafs highest paid player, and production wise, he isn't much better than Poni or Blake. We shouldn't want to overpay for an overpaid player.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 11:10 PM
  #85
bardownsnipe19
Registered User
 
bardownsnipe19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to bardownsnipe19
1st Trade.

To Toronto:
RW Jason Pominville (5 years $5,300,000)
D Henrik Tallinder
LW Dan Paille
D/LW Nathan Paetcsh

3rd Round Pick

To Buffalo
D Ian White (1 year $850,000)
C Matt Stajan (1 year $1,750,000)
RW Nikolai Kulemin
C Mikhail Stefanovich

2nd Round Pick


FIXED.

bardownsnipe19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 12:13 AM
  #86
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Most teams don't, the leafs have a surplus of money and a lack of talent/high end assets. That kind of deal is the only way the Leafs can really convert money into talent/assets. They established a price last year of $500,000 for a 4th round selection.... now its just a matter of asset/price and scale. I really don't know what you can equate the remainder of Campbell's money to, you'd get into somepretty complicated math and assumptions that would likely be pretty arbitrary.

But, if the Hawks were willing to include 10 first round picks to take on Campbell's salary, the Leafs do it no question. If the Hawks weren't willing to give up more than a 7th round pick, there's no way the Leafs do it. The question now is if there is a point where both the Leafs & Hawks do it.

Its a lot of money, but adding a high end prospect like Beach + a 1st rounder without giving up anything significant would be a huge move for the franchise... if it allows them to win a Stanley Cup, that money is returned in droves.

As for the NTC, Campbell would likely be under the assumption that Kaberle would be on the way out and he'd get a spot (which he might this year). But in the long run he'd likely be a cap casualty.
So let me put it to you a way I hope you can understand. You say 500 000k bought us a fourth. So does it really take 50 million to buy two firsts? Because that's what your proposing. They aren't trading 10 firsts for us to take him and we aren't taking two to take him so I should be understood that he's staying put or at least out of Toronto. Oh and Beach and a late 1st don't equal a cup.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 12:25 AM
  #87
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklin3011 View Post
If Chicago is getting rid of Campbell they are not going to take on two sucky ass players from Toronto for 5 million. Theyll take two sucky ass ppl worth 500 K. The whole point of getting rid of someone like Campbell is to free up Cap Space not free up 7 mill and then take back 5. Gotta love Toronto Maple Laffs trades...God they are such a bad org.


Leafs get finguered in that deal.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 09:26 AM
  #88
TweetyLeaf
Registered User
 
TweetyLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Yeah I get that once your trade was rejected because of it's brutality you simply started stating actual points.
Yes becouse i was discussing with Salsabil, but unlike you he perfectly understood the reasons why i posted the so called "proposal".

There are things called "examples".

Learn to read and understand what you read please.


Last edited by TweetyLeaf: 07-14-2009 at 10:35 AM.
TweetyLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 09:48 AM
  #89
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherleaffan View Post
To Toronto:
RW Jason Pominville (5 years $5,300,000)
rights to drew stafford
??? rights to zach kassian

To Buffalo
D Ian White (1 year $850,000)
C Matt Stajan (1 year $1,750,000)
L Alexei Ponikarovski (2,105,000)
1st Round Pick 2011
3rd 2010

it's alot to ask but
can this deal be done
Only on your playstation

the Sabres trade the three most valuable pieces in the deal...

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 11:45 AM
  #90
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweetyLeaf View Post
Yes becouse i was discussing with Salsabil, but unlike you he perfectly understood the reasons why i posted the so called "proposal".

There are things called "examples".

Learn to read and understand what you read please.
your "example" was a proposal and made out to be an "example" after the fact. Dodge the fact as much as you want. Unless you mean it was an example of what you would do in the trade. Maybe you just prefer the term example instead of proposal. Now I get it. Well, your example was brutal. Is that better?

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 11:57 AM
  #91
TweetyLeaf
Registered User
 
TweetyLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
your "example" was a proposal and made out to be an "example" after the fact. Dodge the fact as much as you want. Unless you mean it was an example of what you would do in the trade. Maybe you just prefer the term example instead of proposal. Now I get it. Well, your example was brutal. Is that better?
Of course my example was brutal becouse it was there to prove a point.

Now give up dude allready, you didnt get it, everyone else did. move on.

TweetyLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:01 PM
  #92
T_Cage
VP of Awesome
 
T_Cage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,752
vCash: 500
why would a REBUILDING TEAM give away what potentially is a TOP 5 pick next season? For Campbell at that??

The only way TO's 2010 1st even enters any trade talk is if a Top3 F is in play, and even then it might be foolish to move it.

OP Trade #1 is a little better, but i don't see Buffalo doing it

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:40 PM
  #93
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,858
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSabres91 View Post
This is a true
Has to be.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.