HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathan Bernier Is Growing Up

Old
07-13-2009, 02:54 AM
LAX attack*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
good on Bernier. As a goalie myself, I can say that the first step to becoming a great goalie is to have that mental game which allows you some consistency. Talent is nothing, the mind is everything.

Last edited by LAX attack*: 07-13-2009 at 03:22 AM.
LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 12:29 PM
DaAnimal

Oh man, Ron caught red handed

but anyway back on track, im really rooting for bernier

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Thanks Gann!

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
LOL... you were practically Tukonen's cheerleader. At one point you were annoyed that others didn't see him as a top talent and criticized another forum member that had seen him play numerous times live...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=255014

Everyone wants to hope for the best for these kids that are drafted, and at some point reality sets in that some may not pan out, which is fine. There's nothing wrong with changing opinions after a player matures. To imply otherwise is ill-advised, particularly on a message forum that has several years of posting history easily accessible.

- T
I hope you have more than just that...All I said in that whole thread was that Tukonen had a great 2006 WJC....which he did. Where does it say that I thought he was going to be a "Top Talent"? Also if you look at threads about Tukonen when he was struggling in Manchester I was very critical of him. I would try to search them myself....but for some reason my search function does not work.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I might have already said this in one or two places, but it isn't going to shock me at all if Bernier has the best camp and preseason among all of the goaltenders.

That will present the Kings' management team with an interesting problem.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:33 PM
FroFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I might have already said this in one or two places, but it isn't going to shock me at all if Bernier has the best camp and preseason among all of the goaltenders.

That will present the Kings' management team with an interesting problem.
I think that's what so interesting about the competition we've got going now. Quick was given the call-up based on seniority, and played well. Now, he's got something to lose, while Bernier really doesn't. Will Quick tighten up? Or will his relative success last year make him that much more confident?

Should be fun to watch them battle it out in training camp.

FroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroFan View Post
I think that's what so interesting about the competition we've got going now. Quick was given the call-up based on seniority, and played well. Now, he's got something to lose, while Bernier really doesn't. Will Quick tighten up? Or will his relative success last year make him that much more confident?

Should be fun to watch them battle it out in training camp.
Based on our past goalies, realistically speaking, Quick is bound to fail. But I could be wrong.

Bernier has a lot of potential and I think we probably won't be seeing him until next year. Just my guess.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
Based on our past goalies, realistically speaking, Quick is bound to fail. But I could be wrong.

Bernier has a lot of potential and I think we probably won't be seeing him until next year. Just my guess.
I disagree. I still think Quick's fiery competitiveness gives him a leg up on Bernier now and in the long run, but I realize I'm in the minority. Piggybacking on what doughty number 8 said, the goalie mentality is crucial; as a defenseman myself, I can say it's easier to play for a goalie that you know is giving it his all 100% of the time, is wholly focused, and takes full responsibility for his mistakes. Not saying that Bernier doesn't have that fire, or that he won't develop it, but all reports from last year say that Quick even got pissed getting scored on at practice, and that competitveness rubbed off on his teammates. Hopefully, that's something that rubs off on Bernier.

The road to the NHL is littered with goalies that had all the talent in the world and couldn't put it all together.

I'm not saying that Bernier doesn't have 'it'; I agree that he has the highest ceiling of all our goaltending prospects, and that I'm definitely rooting for him. I'm glad he's making progress. But I think that in the mental strength department, he's got an uphill battle to fight against Quick, and he thus has a few more years of development ahead of him, though I would love to be wrong.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote