HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help me accelerate!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-15-2009, 12:08 AM
  #1
steafo
Registered User
 
steafo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to steafo
Help me accelerate!!!

I'm looking for a work out that specifically focuses on gaining acceleration in my skating. I have good top end speed but it takes me a bit to get to it. I tend to use my size to shield the puck more than I dangle (RE: Less skilled Marian Hossa)

I'm 6 2" about 190-195lbs in pretty good shape. I am a taller guy so I have a bit of a long stride even though I skate hunched over a bit.

I'm looking for something that would benefit acceleration. Whether that be weight training or a certain type of cardio (HIIT?).

steafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:09 AM
  #2
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
The real trick is to develop a shorter stride and practice explosive starts. Those two will help more than any off ice workout.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:13 AM
  #3
steafo
Registered User
 
steafo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to steafo
Its harder for me to have that short of a stride...because i'm pretty much all legs. Should I focus on bending my knees more?

I guess I was looking for a workout that augments that explosive stride then.

My brother is pretty much the exact same size as me, and a lot of people have said that we skate the same way but I feel like he gets up to top speed much faster. I was thinking that maybe he's a bit stronger?

steafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:19 AM
  #4
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steafo View Post
Its harder for me to have that short of a stride...because i'm pretty much all legs. Should I focus on bending my knees more?

I guess I was looking for a workout that augments that explosive stride then.

My brother is pretty much the exact same size as me, and a lot of people have said that we skate the same way but I feel like he gets up to top speed much faster. I was thinking that maybe he's a bit stronger?
I can honestly say strength is not the biggest factor in forward speed, it's technique. Focus on keeping your legs closer to the ice and closer together. You have longer legs so you have to FORCE it. Also, work on explosive toe starts.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:52 AM
  #5
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan
 
Leafidelity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,861
vCash: 1775
Wind sprints

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:02 AM
  #6
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,539
vCash: 500
Do an assload of plyo's

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:04 AM
  #7
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
Do an assload of plyo's
That will help a bit too. Also, DO NOT DO a full heel to toe, work on hitting your blade near the mid. That'll speed you up a lot.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:06 AM
  #8
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,383
vCash: 500
I'm atually similar size as you. I don't have great acceleration but I'm still one of the quicker guys. I really don't think this is the "right" way to do it but this is still how I do it regardless. I'm sure I'm going to get a lesson on how to start skating after I post this too.

The way I do it is by putting one skate perpenducilar to the other just to push myself and get going in the direction I want. I glide with my other skate and then quickly move the foot I'm pushing off to make the next stride. I'm not sure how to explain it any better but here's actually a picture of me starting to accelerate on a league's website that I play in. See what I mean with my right foot sideways (gray jersey up front)? Again, I'm sure this isn't the "right" way to do it but it works great for me.


Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:54 AM
  #9
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,489
vCash: 500
Power Skating

Quote:
Originally Posted by steafo View Post
I'm looking for a work out that specifically focuses on gaining acceleration in my skating. I have good top end speed but it takes me a bit to get to it. I tend to use my size to shield the puck more than I dangle (RE: Less skilled Marian Hossa)

I'm 6 2" about 190-195lbs in pretty good shape. I am a taller guy so I have a bit of a long stride even though I skate hunched over a bit.

I'm looking for something that would benefit acceleration. Whether that be weight training or a certain type of cardio (HIIT?).
Depending on your age and financial willingness a good power skating program would be the way to go.

You could fudge things by watching some power skating programs at various arenas near and doing the exercises on your own BUT you will not have the benefit of have an evaluation of your skating technique, corrections to your technique, a personally designed on ice / off ice program, regular supervision or updates.

Good luck.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:57 AM
  #10
frito
Registered User
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Your best bet would be to take a power skating class, either Laura Stamm or Robby Glantz. They cover not only top end skating and maneuvering, but also EXPLOSIVE starts.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:04 AM
  #11
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steafo View Post
I'm looking for a work out that specifically focuses on gaining acceleration in my skating. I have good top end speed but it takes me a bit to get to it. I tend to use my size to shield the puck more than I dangle (RE: Less skilled Marian Hossa)

I'm 6 2" about 190-195lbs in pretty good shape. I am a taller guy so I have a bit of a long stride even though I skate hunched over a bit.

I'm looking for something that would benefit acceleration. Whether that be weight training or a certain type of cardio (HIIT?).
It sounds like we share a similar build and style of play. If you're anything like me you have what's called the "Boyd Devereaux" stride. Your stride is long and slow, but packs a lot of power. The idea is that you're getting fewer strides in per fixed amount of time than a shorter player is, but you are still quick because of the sheer force you're pushing with.

Quick starts from a stationary position are effectively "toe" starts. You take three or four very quick strides, hitting the ice with the toe of your blade each time. You're not making a lot of contact on the ice with your blade, but you're using a lot of speed and a lot of power to propel yourself forward.

What's more important, in my eyes, is a quick start off of a directional change. This usually involves doing a hockey stop... not to come to a complete stop, but rather to shift your momentum. Step one is to build up a head of steam and to throw a hockey stop out. Instead of coming to a complete stop, you should actually start drifting backwards a little bit. What most novice players would do here is STOP, turn, and then start skating. This will almost certainly guarantee that you will be beaten. What you need to do is perform the stop and immediately transition into crossovers in the direction in which you would like to go. You should do two to four quick crossovers before transitioning into a forward stride.

My "quick starts" are still pretty haggered and slow compared to other guys, but they do pack a lot of power. I just need a lot of plyo work.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:21 AM
  #12
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,731
vCash: 500
An important speed factor that often gets overlooked is your "recovery stride", that is, returning your foot underneath after a stride. You want to get that foot back under you just as quick as you push it back, to set up your next stride. Also don't forget to use full leg extension, including a push from your toes at the end of the stride.

For dryland, box jumps are a good exercise for explosion. My gym has a box about waist high on me, I'm doing 3 sets of 8-10 for now. A weighted vest or a higher box would be awesome, but you gotta work with what you have

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:28 PM
  #13
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Squats will help tremendously.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 04:30 PM
  #14
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,731
vCash: 500
Just stumbled across this article and it reminded me of this thread, nothing too mind blowing, thought I'd share though

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/ourg...r-success.html

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 05:16 PM
  #15
steafo
Registered User
 
steafo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to steafo
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
It sounds like we share a similar build and style of play. If you're anything like me you have what's called the "Boyd Devereaux" stride. Your stride is long and slow, but packs a lot of power. The idea is that you're getting fewer strides in per fixed amount of time than a shorter player is, but you are still quick because of the sheer force you're pushing with.

Quick starts from a stationary position are effectively "toe" starts. You take three or four very quick strides, hitting the ice with the toe of your blade each time. You're not making a lot of contact on the ice with your blade, but you're using a lot of speed and a lot of power to propel yourself forward.

What's more important, in my eyes, is a quick start off of a directional change. This usually involves doing a hockey stop... not to come to a complete stop, but rather to shift your momentum. Step one is to build up a head of steam and to throw a hockey stop out. Instead of coming to a complete stop, you should actually start drifting backwards a little bit. What most novice players would do here is STOP, turn, and then start skating. This will almost certainly guarantee that you will be beaten. What you need to do is perform the stop and immediately transition into crossovers in the direction in which you would like to go. You should do two to four quick crossovers before transitioning into a forward stride.

My "quick starts" are still pretty haggered and slow compared to other guys, but they do pack a lot of power. I just need a lot of plyo work.

Haha, I've never heard of it referred to as a "Boyd Devereaux" stride. But yes that is probably the best way you can describe it. I can have people draped all over me because of this and I will still drag them, what I want to get better at is creating some extra seperation off of a complete stop instead of having to carry people with me. Once I hit top speed I can keep up with anyone in my league, I just wish I could hit top speed a few seconds earlier.

It's really not that detrimental to my game, as I still do very well for myself. I just want to create that extra edge to my game, and I just always want to be the best I can be.

steafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 05:56 PM
  #16
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Squats will help tremendously.
Losing 40lbs helped me.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:47 PM
  #17
Yammer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Republic of East Van
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
Quick acceleration from complete stop?

I find that the easiest (I don't say the best, because I am not an expert) way is the "running start."

I take four short strides on tippie-toe, about as fast as you can say "one-two-three-four". Leftrightleftright.

On the fourth, extend your leg into the full stride and skate normally.

Try it and let us know if it worked for you.

It works for me, because it creates momentum. It is not a good way to sustain velocity, because it is wasteful of energy, but for getting off the line, it is the only thing for me. Otherwise you're looking at a gigantic pushoff from dead stop, and I don't think the legs are optimally designed for that kind of torque.

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:53 PM
  #18
santiclaws
Registered User
 
santiclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 500
Laura Stamm has a powerskating book out, it's pretty good. Obviously, a class would be best.

You want to start with short, choppy strides for the first 3 or 4 steps, like you're running on land. I've heard it described as "falling forward" sufficiently with your upper body that you must move your legs quickly or otherwise you would literally fall on your face.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:26 PM
  #19
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
Laura Stamm has a powerskating book out, it's pretty good. Obviously, a class would be best.
Wouldn't that be more for technique than footspeed? I imagine you'll see improvements for sure, but I look at a guy like Kovalev who's skating is as perfect as they come and who's top end speed is insane... he's still got average acceleration.

I'm wondering personally though, have any of you gone from bad to really good acceleration? It's nice seeing all this advice and I'd like to incorporate some of it, but what has actually worked as opposed to what you think might work.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:13 AM
  #20
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Wouldn't that be more for technique than footspeed? I imagine you'll see improvements for sure, but I look at a guy like Kovalev who's skating is as perfect as they come and who's top end speed is insane... he's still got average acceleration.

I'm wondering personally though, have any of you gone from bad to really good acceleration? It's nice seeing all this advice and I'd like to incorporate some of it, but what has actually worked as opposed to what you think might work.
I've gone from absolutely terrible to a little below average by doing what I described in my post.

I'm going to try to get a day w/o scheduled classes next semester though, so that I can head down to the rink and practice whatever is in the Laura Stamm book. I'm waiting for the new edition to come out (mid-September)

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 03:26 PM
  #21
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
I've learned a couple of things in this thread to try out tonight while playing. I have great powerstrides and lack a little in foot speed when trying to do very quick starts. I do quick starts but i would like them to be on a higher level.

A couple of you guys gave me some good ideas in this thread.

nice work

I found this one the most interesting as I have not thought of it this way but it makes a lot of sense.

You want to start with short, choppy strides for the first 3 or 4 steps, like you're running on land. I've heard it described as "falling forward" sufficiently with your upper body that you must move your legs quickly or otherwise you would literally fall on your face.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 05:56 PM
  #22
WDR357
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston Area
Country: United States
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Are there any adults here that have attended one of the Laura Stamm Power Skating Clinics? As an adult that is! If so, I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks.

WDR357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 10:07 PM
  #23
frito
Registered User
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDR357 View Post
Are there any adults here that have attended one of the Laura Stamm Power Skating Clinics? As an adult that is! If so, I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks.
Yes, I attened the clinic when I was in my mid thirties. It was a very good clinic that I tried to incorporate into my coaching. My biggest challenge is that it was the first time I had been on skates, other than coaching, in a good six months so I was out of shape. Boy did it kick my butt. I learned a lot of new techniques. It covered everything from the basics (one foot pushes to maximize stride) to advanced (did you know on a backwards corssover that your outside foot never really needs to leave the ice and that you should reach your inside leg as far as possible while pulling it back).

In other words, it is a very good clinic regardless of you age. I would attend the Robby Glantz clinic in town (Laura Stamm is not coming this year) if weren't for my 25th high school anniversary activities.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:05 PM
  #24
WDR357
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston Area
Country: United States
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
Yes, I attened the clinic when I was in my mid thirties. It was a very good clinic that I tried to incorporate into my coaching. My biggest challenge is that it was the first time I had been on skates, other than coaching, in a good six months so I was out of shape. Boy did it kick my butt. I learned a lot of new techniques. It covered everything from the basics (one foot pushes to maximize stride) to advanced (did you know on a backwards corssover that your outside foot never really needs to leave the ice and that you should reach your inside leg as far as possible while pulling it back).

In other words, it is a very good clinic regardless of you age. I would attend the Robby Glantz clinic in town (Laura Stamm is not coming this year) if weren't for my 25th high school anniversary activities.
Thanks for the input. When I read on her website that it is 15 and up for a certain clinic, I picture plenty of 15-17 year olds and one adult! Me!

Funny, on backwards crossovers, I pretty much learned not to actually bring my skate off the ice. Feels odd to me now if I lift and step over the inside skate. Still working on reaching into the center and pulling. Understand the technique, just have a slight execution problem

WDR357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:33 AM
  #25
UpGoesRupp
Registered User
 
UpGoesRupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
actually a tip that i can offer.
I use to be a great skater once i reached my top speed and most of the time doing the ladder drills i was average. However, when it came to laps around the ice i usually ended up first.

The thing I learned to improve my acceleration was snapping my feet as they peaked during the stride. the extra snap is what the bure brothers used when accelerating.

UpGoesRupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.