HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Meltzer: Flyers sign Finnish National Mika Pyorala

Old
07-15-2009, 08:26 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by weerrt View Post
In my first post I said Phantoms. I slept over it and like what other said, 3rd line Lehtinen alike player, that he maybe can do. But in a scoring line, no way.
I'm sure he could play a supporting role on a scoring line

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:30 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Meltzer said this on the update's message board:

Quote:
He can play any forward position. He'll be strictly a 3rd-4th liner in the NHL.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:34 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
That's nice. I'll wait for his role to play out in camp and see where he fits in.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:44 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

You know... if Stevens hopefully goes with that 2 scoring lines, a checking line, and then the bruiser line....this could work out.

What I hope we will see:

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Powe-Lappy-Pyorala
Carcillo-Kalinski-Asham

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Pronger
Jones-Parent

What I think Stevens will actually do:

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Carcillo-Lappy-Pyorala
Cote-Powe-Asham

Timonen-Pronger
Carle-Coburn
Jones-Parent

Try not to F things up Stevens...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:09 AM
captainpaxil

i think hell be the 2nd biggest scoring threat in the bottom six. i see him as someone with enough scoring ability that richards offensive gifts wont be totally wasted but isnt out of place in a primarily defensive role.

i think alot of the lines depend on who makes the team out of camp. and it changes what spots are available as to how the team fits together.

gagne with either briere and giroux or one of them centering a line with maroon or jvr and the other on the line with hartnell and carter which is another spot jvr could compete for. i also see nodl or possibly even matsumoto competing for that olde city spot.

carcillo being the banger on richards line which is a spot maroon could also compete for with mika being the scoring option. i think the signing is bad news for nodl as thats a spot i thought he had a decent shot at but mika fills that role. lappy and asham on the fourth with carcillo possibly being forced down or any of 4 or 5 guys trying to move up into that role. powe ross kalinski klotz cote maybe a sleeper.

its going to be a very interesing september. im anticipating answering alot of "whos that guy?" questions.

Last edited by captainpaxil: 07-15-2009 at 09:32 AM.
captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:06 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Powe-Ross-Pyorala
Carcillo-Laperriere-Asham

Ross as the 3rd line C isn't ideal, but I think he can be adequate, especially if he can do well in the faceoff circle. This may not be much in the way of sample size, but he was over 56% in last year's regular season...27/21 on 48 faceoffs. In the playoffs, he took 28 faceoff and was 50%.

Anyone know if AHL faceoff stats can be found anywhere on the net? The AHL's website doesn't seem to have them. I'm wondering what Ross's faceoff numbers have been with the Phantoms.

As for Pyorala, I'm mostly just holding out hope that I'll like his game more than Nodl's. I don't think Nodl is worthy of a spot on a scoring line, yet I don't particularly appreciate him in a bottom six role either. He's not enough of an energy guy for me. I see that this Pyorala guy is small, but I'm hoping he's feisty as hell...aggressive as hell, similar to Sami would work for me.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:07 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

van Riemsdyk needs to make the team

I look forward to seeing Nodl this year. He looked lost a bit at times last year and couldn't finish squat but that's typical rookie stuff.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:22 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Im getting excited about this for some reason. I like signings that come out of the blue.

Any word on Contract #s?

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:38 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Im getting excited about this for some reason. I like signings that come out of the blue.

Any word on Contract #s?
capgeek.com has us at 45(including Ross and Syvret who are RFA) and then +1 for Pyorala so 46

Old
07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
As for Pyorala, I'm mostly just holding out hope that I'll like his game more than Nodl's. I don't think Nodl is worthy of a spot on a scoring line, yet I don't particularly appreciate him in a bottom six role either. He's not enough of an energy guy for me. I see that this Pyorala guy is small, but I'm hoping he's feisty as hell...aggressive as hell, similar to Sami would work for me.
He's one of the tallest 5-11 players I've seen I think he's one of the few 5-11 players who actually are 5-11... Most others who are listed at that are probably shorter...

He is a very good forechecking and intensity is a huge part of his game. His decision making is top-notch.

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
capgeek.com has us at 45(including Ross and Syvret who are RFA) and then +1 for Pyorala so 46
Sheeiiitt...I didn't realize Ross isn't signed up for this year, nor did I realize Syvret isn't either...wonder what'll happen with those two.

Old
07-15-2009, 11:53 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
He's one of the tallest 5-11 players I've seen I think he's one of the few 5-11 players who actually are 5-11... Most others who are listed at that are probably shorter...

He is a very good forechecking and intensity is a huge part of his game. His decision making is top-notch.
Nice, tenacious forechecking is what I'm looking for...Nodl just ain't tenacious enough for me.

And I guess I was thinking more about him being listed at 174 as being on the small side. Ideally, I like energy guys that can not only forecheck with insane tenacity, but also really bang some bodies as well...Darroll Powe does the job well. Even Kapanen was able to do a decent enough job with the physical aspect of the game in spite of the fact that he was far from the biggest guy on the ice...hopefully we see similar from Pyorala.

Old
07-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Hubey1327

im expecting sami kapanen style out of this guy. could be a good boost on the 3rd line

Hubey1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:01 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I meant like Cap wise

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:03 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Nice, tenacious forechecking is what I'm looking for...Nodl just ain't tenacious enough for me.

And I guess I was thinking more about him being listed at 174 as being on the small side. Ideally, I like energy guys that can not only forecheck with insane tenacity, but also really bang some bodies as well...Darroll Powe does the job well. Even Kapanen was able to do a decent enough job with the physical aspect of the game in spite of the fact that he was far from the biggest guy on the ice...hopefully we see similar from Pyorala.
Pyörälä gave gian Majesky a nice push in last years worlds a couple of the US players looked intimidated by him even though he was a bit smaller as well...

In both games he played less than 8 minutes but still was able to get some nice hits in.

He is not a hitting machine, but you'd have hard time believing his weight when you see him in action. He is not as good a hipchecker as Sami is though, but the guy can hit.

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:10 PM
runkle

Quote:
Sheeiiitt...I didn't realize Ross isn't signed up for this year, nor did I realize Syvret isn't either...wonder what'll happen with those two.
I think Ross is signed... according to this anyways...

http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/4624885

Quote:
By AARON DORKSEN

Daily Record Sports Editor

WOOSTER -- Philadelphia Flyers center Jared Ross told Alice Noble Ice Arena general manager Gary Baldwin he'd need to take about a 15-minute break from helping out at the Ross Hockey Camp being held their Monday.

And the 27-year-old Ross also had a simple favor to ask.

"He asked if he could use our fax machine," said Baldwin, during a break at the camp Wednesday that runs through today. "He said, 'I just signed my contract' and need to send it back to the Flyers.

"How cool is that, to have someone in our arena here in Wooster signing their NHL contract?"

More beneficial for the approximate two-dozen area youth campers is learning the game first-hand from the Ross family.

Doug Ross, a member of the 1976 USA Olympic hockey team and former college coach for 30 years, is being assisted by sons Jared and Garrett Ross, along with nephew Brian Ross.

"The Rosses are great people," Baldwin said. "To have an NHL player here and a former Olympian and 30-year coach, you couldn't ask for a better camp for hockey kids to attend here. They've been super with the kids."

It's been an enjoyable week for Jared Ross, too, as he not only reached terms on a contract, but is enjoying time giving back to the game.

"I signed a one-year deal," said Ross, who played for his dad at Alabama-Huntsville and is the first player born and raised in Alabama to make it to the NHL. "There is an open roster spot with the Flyers and I'm hoping I can stick with them the entire season, but they could send me to the (minors), too.

"I started last year with the Phantoms in the AHL, but wound up with the Flyers at the end of the season."

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:15 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by runkle View Post
I think Ross is signed... according to this anyways...

http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/4624885
Awesome.

Old
07-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Ross is really irrelevant anyway, as a Flyer. He'll never see NHL ice again, if we even re-up him for the Phantoms.

Syvret might go too, if they are convinced that Mormina, Marshall, Ratchuk, Bartulis, Bourdon and Lehtivuori can handle the Phantom duty....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:52 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Ross is really irrelevant anyway, as a Flyer. He'll never see NHL ice again, if we even re-up him for the Phantoms.
Yeah, I disagree.

Old
07-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You know... if Stevens hopefully goes with that 2 scoring lines, a checking line, and then the bruiser line....this could work out.

What I hope we will see:

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Powe-Lappy-Pyorala
Carcillo-Kalinski-Asham

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Pronger
Jones-Parent

What I think Stevens will actually do:

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Carcillo-Lappy-Pyorala
Cote-Powe-Asham

Timonen-Pronger
Carle-Coburn
Jones-Parent

Try not to F things up Stevens...
I'm ok with both of those. Somebody said earlier that the 3rd line like this is the worst in the entire league. I think it's pretty good actually.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:41 PM
King Fish

I think Lappy is a winger, not sure why people are putting him at center. Powe got the call last year when Kalinski got hurt. I don't see Powe making the team.

Gags-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Grioux
JVR/Maroon-xxxx-Lappy
Carcillo-Kalinski-Asham

WE NEED A LEGIT 3rd LINE CENTER!!!! Malholtra...please.

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
I don't know what Powe showed that he shouldn't be on the team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Kaktus*

Is Pyorala really 154? He could use Philly cheese steak…

No seriously, thats skinny!!!

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:22 PM
dawkins121

I thought Powe was a great 3rd or 4th line player when he was called up. Lot of hustle, lot of grit, played on the PK, hits well. Not saying he's gonna put up 50 points and be our third line savior but he was good enough to stay on the team in my opinion.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:28 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Is Pyorala really 154? He could use Philly cheese steak…

No seriously, thats skinny!!!
naw apparently hes more like 175-180 now. Still slim but not as slim