HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pihlstrom seeks one-way deal...

Old
07-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Pihlstrom seeks one-way deal...

Quote:
Forward Antti Pihlstrom may have played his last game with the Predators.

Preds general manager David Poile said Tuesday that Pihlstrom, a restricted free agent, is seeking a one-way contract with Nashville. The Preds are unwilling to give Pihlstrom a one-way deal, so the possibility exists that he could sign to play in Europe next season.

``We’ll have to see if they change or whether they sign over in Europe,’’ Poile said. ``We can’t prevent him from signing over there if that’s what he wants to do.’’
http://data.tennessean.com/v2/bin/pl...tennessean.com

Personally, I don't think that Pihlstrom has earned a one-way contract with his scoring struggles at the NHL level. He is a great forechecker and defensive player, but until he can convert some of his AHL scoring abilities to the NHL...I just don't see him getting a one-way deal on a team that's pretty well set in their bottom-six like the Preds are.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
http://data.tennessean.com/v2/bin/pl...tennessean.com

Personally, I don't think that Pihlstrom has earned a one-way contract with his scoring struggles at the NHL level. He is a great forechecker and defensive player, but until he can convert some of his AHL scoring abilities to the NHL...I just don't see him getting a one-way deal on a team that's pretty well set in their bottom-six like the Preds are.
nice knowing ya Antti

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 08:01 PM
skipper49

Good riddance! He was given 53 games to prove he deserved a one-way contract and he didn't earn it. He did however contribute very well to Nashville's scoring drought. O'Reilly or Spaling could have done much better for sure. Even Hornqvist was a bust on offense. Both of them were were over-rated by management.

skipper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Webersmashpuck

I can't blame Pihlstrom for wanting a one way contract, he would make more in Finland and would be at home and has already spent 2 years here and should amount to not much more than a 4th liner.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 09:55 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

I still remember in game day chat back in spring of 2008 when SLake said "Pihlström is going to be an impact player." I don't think he'll quite ever live up to that billing, but he could still be a solid third line/energy forward.

I can see why Pillu would want a one-way deal. He has a wife who speaks virtually no English, they have a child that's going to be a year old in October. He needs stability, whether it's in Nashville or back in Finland.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 07-14-2009 at 10:13 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 10:03 PM
echlfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I still remember in game day chat back in spring of 2008 when SLake said "Pihlström is going to be an impact player."

I can see why Pillu would want a one-way deal. He has a wife who speaks virtually no English, they have a child that's going to be a year old in October. He needs stability, whether it's in Nashville or back in Finland.
Back in Finland it is

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I don't understand why you wouldn't just give it to him. He would likely spend the entire season up here anyway.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 10:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
I can't blame Pihlstrom for wanting a one way contract, he would make more in Finland and would be at home and has already spent 2 years here and should amount to not much more than a 4th liner.
I'm not sure he would make more in Finland. The SM-Liiga has been hit especially hard by this global economic cluster****. That's why they accepted a new transfer deal with the NHL.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
I still remember in game day chat back in spring of 2008 when SLake said "Pihlström is going to be an impact player." I don't think he'll quite ever live up to that billing, but he could still be a solid third line/energy forward.
Don't quite remember the context of that comment, but I'll take your word for it. Pihlstrom simply has not been able to score at the NHL level yet on any consistent basis. I doubt I meant that he would be a star player, but rather that he would be an impact player on a nightly basis with his speed and energy level that he brings to the rink every night. Scoring would complete the package. I'm disappointed that it hasn't worked out so far.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 06:29 AM
zecke26

Quote:
I'm not sure he would make more in Finland. The SM-Liiga has been hit especially hard by this global economic cluster****. That's why they accepted a new transfer deal with the NHL.
not finland maybe, but their neighbor country has a solid league with some money involved. and i don't mean sweden.

sounds like he will be in the KHL soon. he's good enough to get a contract there.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:54 AM
skipper49

Given the recent flow of Europeans back to their motherlands and elsewhere perhaps now more North American kids can realize their childhood dreams in the NHL. Have to say it has bothered me for years that GMs overlook strong character, hard-working US or Canadian kids to take a European. Yes, some of them have alot of talent but the truth is many of them just don't have the staying power. They are scouted and recruited from within their original hockey environments and when they come over hear many of them don't make the cut. Don't get me wrong- I love Malkin, Zetterburg, Datsyuk and many others but the pendulum has gone too far at the expense of our own. Perhaps Don Cherry had something there years ago.....

skipper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:01 AM
jstreet

vCash: 1453
dont let the door crack you in the back on your way out

seriously, he needs to take that wife and baby home, he doesnt have a future here.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:01 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
Given the recent flow of Europeans back to their motherlands and elsewhere perhaps now more North American kids can realize their childhood dreams in the NHL. Have to say it has bothered me for years that GMs overlook strong character, hard-working US or Canadian kids to take a European. Yes, some of them have alot of talent but the truth is many of them just don't have the staying power. They are scouted and recruited from within their original hockey environments and when they come over hear many of them don't make the cut. Don't get me wrong- I love Malkin, Zetterburg, Datsyuk and many others but the pendulum has gone too far at the expense of our own. Perhaps Don Cherry had something there years ago.....
I disagree. There still is a huge difference in percentage of North Americans drafted and Euros drafted. If there is a talented North American he will be found. I also think it's not fair that you painted North American kids as having character and being hard workers while Euros do not have any of those qualities. ( You didn't say it you just seemed to imply it) You certainly do sound like Don Cherry in that respect.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Amerksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I also think it's not fair that you painted North American kids as having character and being hard workers while Euros do not have any of those qualities. ( You didn't say it you just seemed to imply it)
The adjustment is certainly a big factor. A player can have all the character in the world while playing in his own home country where he doesn't need as much effort to consider daily things such as housing, rent, the language etc. The organization can only help so much, and some rely on bringing in the players relatives (usually parents) to hang around and help in daily life.

That said, it might be that the base AHL-salary isn't worth it for Pihlstrom to keep his family in the U.S. Perhaps he could be packaged for a trade somewhere else?

Amerksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:32 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
Wow, I thought I hated your Dan Ellis posts but this leaves me longing for one of those.

Euro's can't have strong character, ethic of working hard and a dream of playing in the nhl? Funny, I think this team has had some shining examples of just that (Vokoun, Orszagh to name my two favorite; Timmonen; Philstrom, Peltonen, Rinne... hell, Jan Vopat endured the rash to play here).

I personally think it takes more balls to follow that dream to an unfamiliar country with a different language and culture, different ice size, and a whole host of other differences.

Besides, I thought we wanted to see the best players in the world? If an overseas player comes and washes out, how is it different than thousands and thousands of minor league, cup-of-coffe in the nhl players from North America that don't make the cut?

Don Cherry is at best extremely ethnocentric and at worst a racist on this topic. Somewhere in between is some great xenophobic territory that I think he has staked out.

I personally wouldn't recommend following Cherry down his path to protect "our own" whoever you think that may be, but to each his own.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerksonian View Post
The adjustment is certainly a big factor. A player can have all the character in the world while playing in his own home country where he doesn't need as much effort to consider daily things such as housing, rent, the language etc. The organization can only help so much, and some rely on bringing in the players relatives (usually parents) to hang around and help in daily life.

That said, it might be that the base AHL-salary isn't worth it for Pihlstrom to keep his family in the U.S. Perhaps he could be packaged for a trade somewhere else?
Pihlstrom has zero value (seeking 1-way contract & has zero offensive abilities)

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote