Notices

Zubie good as gone?

Old
07-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Starsdude

vCash: 500
Zubie good as gone?

http://www.defendingbigd.com/

If so, all the best one of my all-time favs-also is anyone concerned that the new regime may be deluding themselves as it relates to its relationship with certain guys

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Here is a recent post even after the one you quoted
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-with-sta.html

I feel Dallas should do whatever necessary (obviously not offering him a big contract) to ensure Zubov would retire with Dallas.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
No offense to Defending Big D, but they're quoting a crap article from ESPN. If you read the quotes from the agent in that article, nothing has changed in the past 2 weeks. The agent never said Dallas wasn't still an option.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:56 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
Here is a recent post even after the one you quoted
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-with-sta.html

I feel Dallas should do whatever necessary (obviously not offering him a big contract) to ensure Zubov would retire with Dallas.
... and it quotes the same terrible reporter.

Old
07-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Burnside has hated on us the entire off-season, for whatever reason. I don't get it.

Nothing Zubov's agent said in those quotes is new.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
vofty

Did this really need its own thread??

I agree with Lobo, Burnside has been pissed since the firing of Tippett and has ragged on the Stars since.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
Did this really need its own thread??
You have to acknowledge within this new thread, even though there's nothing at all new in it, that at least it's not trumpeting the impending demise of the Dallas Stars in a grand scheme to suck for five years and magically end up in the Cup Finals.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:37 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
I wonder what the additional rehab program is that Zubov's doing this summer...

The team knows he was skating and watched him do so on their practice ice for quite some time. So was there a set-back? Did they not like what they saw? Do they have a particular piece of info that leads them to believe his career as an effective player is over?

You'd have to think that if you were another team (St. Louis, New York etc.) you'd be extremely concerned about the Stars' lukewarm pursuit and what that means for his health.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
You'd have to think that if you were another team (St. Louis, New York etc.) you'd be extremely concerned about the Stars' lukewarm pursuit and what that means for his health.
Teams other than the Rangers, sure, but the Rangers just signed a guy known to have serious health issues to a 5 year, $37.5 million contract. Why would the team's management all of the sudden decide a smaller contract, perhaps for two years maximum barring any Holmgrenesque lapse of CBA knowledge, on a fragile player is not worth the effort?

Alternatively, St. Louis has nearly $6 million in cap room with all but one important RFA signed. They've got money to burn if they spend to the cap even though they don't normally do so nor should based upon their own economic situation. Then again, the Blues also want to make the playoffs again and get into the next round so they don't have to discount tickets like they have in the recent past, last year included.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
piqued - I'd assume they're most concerned about how the hip holds up to contact and through the grind of several games in a row, let alone a full season, things that can't be duplicated in skating sessions.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:18 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Yeah... and I think it's important to make a distinction between general "fragility" and knowing of a specific issue via your training staff and doctors that could halt his recovery in its tracks.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 07:05 PM
DefendingBigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
No offense to Defending Big D, but they're quoting a crap article from ESPN. If you read the quotes from the agent in that article, nothing has changed in the past 2 weeks. The agent never said Dallas wasn't still an option.
No offense taken here. This was basically an ESPN article that was based on nothing really, except a few quick quotes from Jay Grossman that isn't anything different than we've been hearing since free agency began. I did think it was important, however, to acknowledge that Grossman is determined to convince other teams around the league that Zubov is healthy, while trying to get Dallas to become "jealous". Here's my response from earlier today:
Quote:
My take on what is happening right now with Sergei Zubov: he's turned over everything to his agent who has entered into protective/posturing mode in an attempt to get as big a contract he can for his client. There's been speculation that the Rangers, Blue Jackets and "nine teams in total" are interested in Zubov, but so far we haven't heard a thing about contract offers, physicals, work outs or anything that would be the first steps in the him signing anywhere outside of Dallas.

The last reports we heard on Zubov's health was that he was still limping fairly badly a few months ago at the team's facilities and that he wouldn't be ready until late summer at the earliest. It seems like Grossman's agent is trying to blow some smoke about these team's that are interested and how other teams are interested, trying to get the Stars to act before they really want to. But of all the teams in the NHL, none no more about Zubov's injury situation than Dallas does and they're not taking the bait. They're sticking to their guns, saying they aren't interested in talking until they're absolutely certain he's healthy. If he signs somewhere else between now and then, well the team is prepared for that.
Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that Grossman contacted Burnside, or it was quotes released to ESPN....something to stir the pot up.

DefendingBigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 08:27 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefendingBigD View Post
No offense taken here. This was basically an ESPN article that was based on nothing really, except a few quick quotes from Jay Grossman that isn't anything different than we've been hearing since free agency began. I did think it was important, however, to acknowledge that Grossman is determined to convince other teams around the league that Zubov is healthy, while trying to get Dallas to become "jealous". Here's my response from earlier today:

Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that Grossman contacted Burnside, or it was quotes released to ESPN....something to stir the pot up.
That's how I felt when I read it. This is just another poorly developed article from Burnside casting the Stars in a negative light. The Crawford signing shocked quite a few people, but it's time to get over it Burnside.

Even if the agent contacted Burnside, I donít see how Burnside could draw his conclusion based on Grossmanís comments.

Old
07-15-2009, 08:03 AM
DefendingBigD

I've already covered this about as much as I can on my site, but this is further evidence that Zubov is most likely gone:

DMN Stars Blog - Stars, Zubov headed different directions - Mike Heika

Zubov's agent is intent on getting him signed and they want the best deal possible, which won't come from the Stars. While the fan in me is depressed that he won't be retiring with Dallas, it's also good to see Nieuwendyk not give in and overpay for a player they aren't entirely sure will be healthy when the season starts.

DefendingBigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefendingBigD View Post
I've already covered this about as much as I can on my site, but this is further evidence that Zubov is most likely gone:

DMN Stars Blog - Stars, Zubov headed different directions - Mike Heika

Zubov's agent is intent on getting him signed and they want the best deal possible, which won't come from the Stars. While the fan in me is depressed that he won't be retiring with Dallas, it's also good to see Nieuwendyk not give in and overpay for a player they aren't entirely sure will be healthy when the season starts.
Someone else who actually agrees with me on this Zubov situation. We are few and far between it seems.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
Someone else who actually agrees with me on this Zubov situation. We are few and far between it seems.
Would luv for Zubie to retire here but a deal similar to Lets is about all I would go for aguy who has not been healthy last 2 years-I do think this team needs apuck mover but I would go with youth (IV)-If people really think Robidas is an all-star and are willing to give you a high return that is a deal that could be explored

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
The Heika story is more of the agent trying to stir things up. I think it's pretty likely Zubov won't sign with Dallas, but the latest articles don't change my view of the situation in the slightest. Agents are full of hot air, and any story with them as the main source has to be written, but it also has to be kept in the context that this guy is a salesman for the player and trying to use every avenue to put pressure on an organization.

Honestly, the quotes from Grossman read to me like Zubov wants to sign in Dallas but also wants more money. You don't make as big a deal about "nine other teams" and "good progress with other teams" unless you're trying to create something with a team you're not currently dealing with.

Agents = infomercial pitchmen. Always view their quotes with that much suspicion.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote