HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do you think the players like it more when there's more rivalry?

Old
07-14-2009, 09:30 PM
la25ecoupe

vCash: 500
Do you think the players like it more when there's more rivalry?

Let's forget about media pressure for a moment.. Do you think the players will enjoy it more here in Montreal because of the intense rivalries we have vs Bruins and Leafs? Those games are the hardest games but at the same time, a warrior would love those games more than a game vs Thrashers. They would feel like they just changed the world after the game (see Bruins game 7).

Do you think the new guys will love the new rivalry, or will they fake injuries?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 11:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
No one's gonna fake an injury to miss games. Some do it to get a penalty call but that's furthest it goes. Confident people enjoy challenges, that's all there is too it. If you don't believe you can win, it's not fun to play. If they are up to the challenge, physically, offensively, defensively and mentality, they will enjoy it, win or lose.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:15 AM
DaHabMan

of course players like it when there are rivalries, it gets the adrenaline pumping and shows that people outside care about hockey and their teams.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:05 AM
habbydude31

komi was a puck magnet, (blocked shots) but i honestly think our d is better now than it was last year. i liked dandy, and am glad we got rid of breeze by, and cube. but with spacek, gill and mara, i thing its gonna be much tougher to play in our zone. still think we could use a striet, or less so souray, just for our pp, but i think our offence will make up for it

habbydude31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I'm pretty sure every single player loves the rivalry with other teams,the media pressure not so sure....

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

I guess soft players don't really like these games because they can get very physical, but the others probably live for those games! Last year, it was always nice to see Grabovski and Sergei going at each other...they had fun doing it!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:52 AM
mastodon

I don't think a lot of European players like the rivalry because they do not know about them. Players like the Kostitsyns have even said they don't care about it when they play the Leafs. Should be a bit more exciting now with less Euros on the team and some of our UFAs going to the opposition.

Begin>Boston
Ryder>Boston
Kovalev>Ottawa
Komisarek>Toronto

For the record, I'm not knocking the European style of play, just noting that they do not grow up in North America so they will never see the rivalries.

mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:07 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon View Post
I don't think a lot of European players like the rivalry because they do not know about them. Players like the Kostitsyns have even said they don't care about it when they play the Leafs. Should be a bit more exciting now with less Euros on the team and some of our UFAs going to the opposition.

Begin>Boston
Ryder>Boston
Kovalev>Ottawa
Komisarek>Toronto

For the record, I'm not knocking the European style of play, just noting that they do not grow up in North America so they will never see the rivalries.
Ironic how the SK/Grabs love story added some spice to the rivalry..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
alexstream

from a ball hockey perspective, I HATE it when we face tougher teams, dirty team, etc...
also called as "good rivalry"
but these games are also tougher and the team plays tighter, and wants to win MORE, etc.

So rivalries are fun as FANS.
the words "fun" put together with "rivalry" is a media/fan creation

Cause from a player standpoint, in order to have a rivalry, you must somehow HATE. And I don't get how you can "enjoy" hating someone...

OF COURSE, if you win all of those rival games, you enjoy it.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote