HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Line Predictions (2009/10 Season)

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2009, 12:28 PM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I think the primary downside of Gagne-Richards-Briere together last year was secondary scoring. IIRC that line was scoring just fine, the others were not. The emergence of Carter and Giroux should allow for an equally dangerous second line.
That's basically what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Im just worried that Gagne-Giroux-Briere would be too soft, but I'd be willing to try it
That is something to worry about yes, possibly also because of injury risk, but if they opposing team really deliberately puts out their most physical defense against the first line, this would necessarily mean that the 2nd line of Hartnell - Richards - Carter would face weaker opposition and I think they could outmuscle them and roll over them like a tank.

Old
07-13-2009, 12:30 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Ah, yes. My reading comprehension blows.

But I think a second of Hartnell-Carter-Giroux is almost as good (at least offensively.) So it's less of a mess this year.

Old
07-13-2009, 12:34 PM
BringBackStevens

I thought most people liked
Gagne - Richards - Giroux
and
Hartnell - Carter - Briere

Makes a lot more sense. If you want Briere and Giroux together, then you have to make 3 lines of top 6 "pairs" and fill in some pluggers in the top 9, IMO

Old
07-13-2009, 12:36 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I thought most people liked
Gagne - Richards - Giroux
and
Hartnell - Carter - Briere

Makes a lot more sense. If you want Briere and Giroux together, then you have to make 3 lines of top 6 "pairs" and fill in some pluggers in the top 9, IMO
I'd flip Briere and Giroux. Cover Danny's ass in the D zone with Ritchie and Gags.

Old
07-13-2009, 07:13 PM
ph

I think if JVR is ready to contribute an interesting top 9 would be:
Gagne-Richards-JVR
Hartnell-Carter-Laperriere
Powe-Giroux-Briere

JVR could fill the same role as Knuble in front of the net but also keep up with Gags and Richie on the rush. It's risky and a lot to ask of a young kid. Hartnell and Carter do not need a stud player on their RW. Powe, Giroux and Briere had excellent chemistry last year. I'd love to see what they can do with a full season together. IMO Briere also plays with more attitude when paired with Giroux.

Old
07-13-2009, 08:05 PM
itstheroc87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph View Post
I think if JVR is ready to contribute an interesting top 9 would be:
Gagne-Richards-JVR
Hartnell-Carter-Laperriere
Powe-Giroux-Briere

JVR could fill the same role as Knuble in front of the net but also keep up with Gags and Richie on the rush. It's risky and a lot to ask of a young kid. Hartnell and Carter do not need a stud player on their RW. Powe, Giroux and Briere had excellent chemistry last year. I'd love to see what they can do with a full season together. IMO Briere also plays with more attitude when paired with Giroux.
...thats not JVRs game. hes a skilled player, not a front of the net kinda guy...

Old
07-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Illadelph12

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheroc87 View Post
...thats not JVRs game. hes a skilled player, not a front of the net kinda guy...
Actually from this article, it seems like that is exactly how JVR plays the game. He is a big guy and stays in front of the net waiting for pay dirt.

"If people are looking for me to be a fighter, they're going to be disappointed. That's not my game. But I play hard, fight through checks, play in front of the net, and get to the dirty areas of the rink. I pride myself on those things - and doing them well."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...of_detour.html

Old
07-13-2009, 09:49 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheroc87 View Post
I could see him being like Carter, like a gentle giant who can still fight in dirty areas. He said so himself for Flyers camp live or whatever. But he will do that along with a skill game

Old
07-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Illadelph12

I don't know about the rest of the lineup, but I would like to see the Philly version of the French connection.
Gagne- Giroux- Briere
That line would be fast and both Giroux and Briere would be great at setting up Gagne's quick shot in front of the net.

Old
07-14-2009, 04:55 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illadelph12 View Post
I don't know about the rest of the lineup, but I would like to see the Philly version of the French connection.
Gagne- Giroux- Briere
That line would be fast and both Giroux and Briere would be great at setting up Gagne's quick shot in front of the net.
I like the French Connection also, but I would swap Gagne w/ Laperriere.

Old
07-14-2009, 05:58 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I like the french connection idea actually

Gagne - Giroux - Briere
Hartnell - Carter - Powe
JVR/Carcillo - Richards - Laperriere/Shanny/bertuzzi

Old
07-14-2009, 05:59 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I remember seeing this funny Flyers skit video either just before the playoffs or during. It had to do with Gagne, Giroux and someone else (Maybe knub?) sitting on the bench, so they begin talking in french and making fun of the other guy.

I can't find this video anywhere, but that springs to mind every time I hear french connection.

Hopefully other people saw it too.

Old
07-14-2009, 06:02 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I remember seeing this funny Flyers skit video either just before the playoffs or during. It had to do with Gagne, Giroux and someone else (Maybe knub?) sitting on the bench, so they begin talking in french and making fun of the other guy.

I can't find this video anywhere, but that springs to mind every time I hear french connection.

Hopefully other people saw it too.
that was from Coatsey's Corner, Coates was the 3rd guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyPlXBbOuX0

Old
07-14-2009, 06:51 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

Haha Thanks! I knew it was some old guy, sorry Knub.

Old
07-14-2009, 09:29 PM
ArmchairGM

I would love a Gagne, Giroux, Briere line. Could be one of the best in the league.

Gagne - Giroux - Briere
Hartnell-Carter - Nodl
Pyorala - Richards-Laperriere
Carcillo - Powe - Asham

Timonen-Coburn
Pronger - Carle
Jones - Parent

OR

Gagne - Richards- Laperriere
Hartnell - Carter - Nodl
Pyorala - Giroux - Briere
Carcillo - Powe - Asham

Old
07-14-2009, 10:41 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:

Haha...that's friggin' funny!

I would not be against a French Connection line. I like the idea of Gags finishing passes from those other two!

Old
07-15-2009, 05:58 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
I would love a Gagne, Giroux, Briere line. Could be one of the best in the league.

Gagne - Giroux - Briere
Hartnell-Carter - Nodl
Pyorala - Richards-Laperriere
Carcillo - Powe - Asham

Timonen-Coburn
Pronger - Carle
Jones - Parent

OR

Gagne - Richards- Laperriere
Hartnell - Carter - Nodl
Pyorala - Giroux - Briere
Carcillo - Powe - Asham
Nodl with Carter & Hartnell?

Old
07-15-2009, 06:19 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Nodl with Carter & Hartnell?
Yeah, I dunno about that. I'd rather have Powe up there (not that that would be the best solution).
I'd be perfectly happy if they'd keep Nodl in the AHL for whole full season. I really don't think he's NHL-ready yet.

Old
07-15-2009, 06:39 AM
ThePiousInfant

If the Flyers don't go out and sign anyone else (which it would be hard to do unless one of Jones or Carle gets moved, which likely won't happen until closer to the season as neither is any GM's first choice), then I'd have to say that our roster looks much better with three scoring lines than with two.

Simply put, if Gagne, Briere, Giroux, Hartnell, Richards, and Carter are the top six, the third line would look atrocious.

Gagne - Richards - Briere
Hartnell - Carter - Giroux
Powe - Laperriere - Pyorala
Carcillo - Kalinski? - Asham

Those are two 4th lines, IMO.

Gagne - Richards - Laperriere?
Hartnell - Carter - Pyorala?
Powe? - Giroux - Briere

I think this gives us three legitimate lines. Powe, Laperriere, Carcillo, Pyorala, Maroon, and (once he's ready) JVR don't look bad on paper as complements to a pair of stars - especially if you rotate these guys around depending on who's hot. But once you get three complementary players on the third line, I start to worry.

It also works out nicely from the standpoint that each of our core pairs has a deficiency addressed by their complementary player: Gagne and Richards need a grinder to go into the corners, and Giroux and Briere need some size. Hartnell and Carter really don't seem to care who their RW is, so a well-rounded defensive player like Pyorala seems to be (after any transition period) a good fit. When/if JVR or Maroon are ready to see some time, the lineup only gets stronger. And of course at the end of a one-goal game the lines would be shuffled a little bit to get the right guys on the ice.

Last edited by ThePiousInfant: 07-15-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old
07-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

^ very nice lines. I like them allot. About time Powe got some recognition. Powe - Giroux - Briere is going to be one of the fastest lines in the league. Should pot quite a few goals too. Lappy will be a perfect compliment for Richards and gagne. It's not like knuble scored many goals even stregnth now is it.

Old
07-15-2009, 01:54 PM
anthockey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiousInfant View Post
Powe? - Giroux - Briere
These look really good

Old
07-15-2009, 01:54 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Yeah, I dunno about that. I'd rather have Powe up there (not that that would be the best solution).
I'd be perfectly happy if they'd keep Nodl in the AHL for whole full season. I really don't think he's NHL-ready yet.
Nodl or Maroon

Last year everyone said how Lupul was not effectively used playing with Carter, and that all he did was bang in rebounds. Whats different with Giroux. Nodl has the speed and seemed to have some decent chemistry with Carter last year. He could put up 30-40 points playing on his wing.

I hope we don't screw up Nodl's development like we did Downie with all those call-ups

Old
07-15-2009, 03:04 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post

That is something to worry about yes, possibly also because of injury risk, but if they opposing team really deliberately puts out their most physical defense against the first line, this would necessarily mean that the 2nd line of Hartnell - Richards - Carter would face weaker opposition and I think they could outmuscle them and roll over them like a tank.
Agreed...the Gagne-Richards-Briere line was fine, it was secondary scoring that was the issue but with Hartnell Carter and Giroux that shouldnt be a problem

As far as a "french" line being soft, none of them are really soft players. Giroux doesnt shy away from contact, Gagne doesnt mind fighting in the corners and going to the net, and Briere picks his spots.....They are not much smaller, if at all, than the Hecht-Briere-Pominville line

Plus if you get Pronger out on the ice with them, he can protect them

Old
07-15-2009, 03:05 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiousInfant View Post
If the Flyers don't go out and sign anyone else (which it would be hard to do unless one of Jones or Carle gets moved, which likely won't happen until closer to the season as neither is any GM's first choice), then I'd have to say that our roster looks much better with three scoring lines than with two.

Simply put, if Gagne, Briere, Giroux, Hartnell, Richards, and Carter are the top six, the third line would look atrocious.

Gagne - Richards - Briere
Hartnell - Carter - Giroux
Powe - Laperriere - Pyorala

Those are two 4th lines, IMO.

Powe? - Giroux - Briere

I think this gives us three legitimate lines. Powe, Laperriere, Carcillo, Pyorala, Maroon, and (once he's ready) JVR don't look bad on paper as complements to a pair of stars - especially if you rotate these guys around depending on who's hot. But once you get three complementary players on the third line, I start to worry.

It also works out nicely from the standpoint that each of our core pairs has a deficiency addressed by their complementary player: Gagne and Richards need a grinder to go into the corners, and Giroux and Briere need some size. Hartnell and Carter really don't seem to care who their RW is, so a well-rounded defensive player like Pyorala seems to be (after any transition period) a good fit. When/if JVR or Maroon are ready to see some time, the lineup only gets stronger. And of course at the end of a one-goal game the lines would be shuffled a little bit to get the right guys on the ice.
The reason the 3rd line will look atrocious is because we are wasting too much money on dmen we dont need....They need to be moved for better bottom 6 forwards.

Old
07-15-2009, 03:06 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Nodl or Maroon

Last year everyone said how Lupul was not effectively used playing with Carter, and that all he did was bang in rebounds. Whats different with Giroux. Nodl has the speed and seemed to have some decent chemistry with Carter last year. He could put up 30-40 points playing on his wing.

I hope we don't screw up Nodl's development like we did Downie with all those call-ups
I would be fine with giving Nodl a shot with Carter and Hartnell assuming they spread the top 6 over 3 lines.

In fact, he might be our best option...or JVR but he could kill the cap potentially.

Closed Thread