HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers resign Ryan Callahan - 2yrs @ $2.3M per

Old
07-15-2009, 10:18 AM
94now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
A guy who cant place a backhand into the top corner isn't an NHLer, hell, isn't even a minor leaguer.
Most NHL forwards do not shoot backhand due to luck of control.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:23 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
No, his issue is just that he's not a natural goal scorer. He tends to score goals because of hard work and getting into the right places, not with a wicked wrist shot that he unleashes from anywhere while relying on pure talent to make those chances happen.
That 100% applies to Sid Crosby, who has an average wrister, but well known for his production.

Old
07-15-2009, 10:26 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Most NHL forwards do not shoot backhand due to luck of control.
i'd be willing to bet that they tend to shoot forehand based far more on their positioning relative to the puck and net when shooting oppritunities arise.

obviouslly they aren't going to consistantly line themselves up for back hand shots, you physically can't get the power you can from a forehand...are you talking about breakaways?

but im pretty confident that every player in the NHL,AHL,ECHL, and juniors could aim a back hand towards the top corner of the net

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:29 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
That 100% applies to Sid Crosby, who has an average wrister, but well known for his production.
I'd say that theres a whole lot more to Sid than some hard work...

Old
07-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Not really...Crosby's wrister is much much much more accurate than Callahans. It's not overpowering like Ovechkins, but Crosby is very accurate with it, and has a very quick release.

Crosby's overall offensive talent is also so far ahead of Callahan's that it's not really even worth comparing the two.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:49 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i'd be willing to bet that they tend to shoot forehand based far more on their positioning relative to the puck and net when shooting oppritunities arise.

obviouslly they aren't going to consistantly line themselves up for back hand shots, you physically can't get the power you can from a forehand...are you talking about breakaways?

but im pretty confident that every player in the NHL,AHL,ECHL, and juniors could aim a back hand towards the top corner of the net
There's no time to position even in AHL. Yet you need to position yourself or there will be no shut. That is why most players do not shoot although the entire Garden yells it. The difference between snipers and not lays in the ability or talent to produce the shot without proper positioning, make that shot to where the opening is and fool the goalie at the same time by masking the intention.

My point was different, though. You don't have to be sniper to be scorer, to be productive. You can score the way Crosby does or even Graves did.

Old
07-15-2009, 10:57 AM
94now

Quote:
Not really...Crosby's wrister is much much much more accurate than Callahans. It's not overpowering like Ovechkins, but Crosby is very accurate with it, and has a very quick release.
I disagree. It's average. Callahan has quick release as well. When did Crosby scored far away from the crease?

Quote:
Crosby's overall offensive talent is also so far ahead of Callahan's that it's not really even worth comparing the two.
Why not? Crosby is by a mile better, but both are not snipers. Both drive to the net. Both working hard to score. If Cally needs someone to look up to, it would be Sid.

Old
07-15-2009, 11:57 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:

Why not? Crosby is by a mile better, but both are not snipers. Both drive to the net. Both working hard to score. If Cally needs someone to look up to, it would be Sid.
We normally don't agree on much, but theoretically, I'll go with you on this one. Crosby has become one of the better "dirty" goal scorers, and scores the kinds of goals with the type of positioning I'd like to see from Ryan. It wouldn't be bad for him to model his net-going after Crosby. They're the same height, Crosby has a bit more weight to him, but Cally isn't a *****, so I'll just call it even.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:11 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
They're the same height, Crosby has a bit more weight to him, but Cally isn't a *****, so I'll just call it even.
Two years he signed for should be enough to gain proper weight. Someone get Ryan GNC stuff of something better!!

Old
07-15-2009, 12:20 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Two years he signed for should be enough to gain proper weight. Someone get Ryan GNC stuff of something better!!
I wouldn't advocate that he put on more weight, unless he's comfortable with the possibility. I wouldn't want it to compromise his speed or anything.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:23 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
There's no time to position even in AHL. Yet you need to position yourself or there will be no shut. That is why most players do not shoot although the entire Garden yells it. The difference between snipers and not lays in the ability or talent to produce the shot without proper positioning, make that shot to where the opening is and fool the goalie at the same time by masking the intention.

My point was different, though. You don't have to be sniper to be scorer, to be productive. You can score the way Crosby does or even Graves did.
i was not reffering to getting the puck, postioning yourself, then shooting

im talking about general positiong in a play...thats the reason the vast majority of shots are forehand...not because the players can't control them

example: when your driving to the net your not going to do so in a way that sets you up to shoot on your back hand....you should be driving to the net with ready to fire a wrist shot or snapper

in refference to the second part, again i will add that crosby has a lot more going for him than a good work ethic

Old
07-15-2009, 02:52 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i was not reffering to getting the puck, postioning yourself, then shooting

im talking about general positiong in a play...thats the reason the vast majority of shots are forehand...not because the players can't control them

example: when your driving to the net your not going to do so in a way that sets you up to shoot on your back hand....you should be driving to the net with ready to fire a wrist shot or snapper
You cannot wrist the puck if it is in front of you. You can somehow do it if it is in line with your toes being on the side, but there would be no power to you shot (some shooters bend a knee all the way to the ice to gain some power and/or elevation in such situation). The puck should be a foot behind your hills for a heavy wrister. All you can do if puck is in front is to pock or flip it into the net (usually to put in a rebound). Therefore when player attempts to onetime the shot he must position himself such that his skates get on or ahead of the puck projected trajectory. This way puck comes to your side where you want it and you ready to wrist it. Players keep their eyes on the puck all the time and adjust their positioning according to its movement.

Last edited by 94now: 07-15-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old
07-15-2009, 05:45 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
the same could be said for Mario Lemeuix over the course of his career. Adam Graves is another goalscorer that didn't exactly have a great wrister OR a great slap shot. Some guys just want it more and have the ability to get to places on the ice with or without the puck that will get them goals.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote