HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lidstrom's Salary

Old
07-15-2009, 08:12 AM
CC Chiefs*

vCash: 500
Lidstrom's Salary

With Lidstrom's salary coming to an end after this year. If he comes back what will he sign for? I'm guessing it will be several 1 year contracts starting at around 3-4m per year. Any other thoughts?

Last edited by CC Chiefs*: 07-15-2009 at 08:48 AM.
CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:46 AM
crashman

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper wings fan View Post
With Lidstrom's salary coming to an end after this year. If he comes back what will he sign for? I'm guessing it will several 1 year contracts starting at around 3-4m per year. Any other thoughts?
Hopefully he comes back for at least 1 more season, but I think it will be a 1 yr deal worth 4-5.5m a year.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

I see him being worth a good 5 mil next year, he's not quite playing the same as he used to, but it's not like he had a bad season last year, just not his best. I often have to check that he's still 39 because he can still skate so effortlessly.

That said, hard to say what he might sign for, I can see with the cap issues we have had this year that he might take a bit less than market value to stick around if he doesn't want to retire, nothing more than 1 year deals I would hope.

Will obviously depend alot on how he feels after this upcoming season, but I get the feeling he will still be good to go.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Shoalzie

Niedermayer took $6 million on this last deal he signed...he's pretty much on a year-to-year basis with the Ducks. I think Nick will command $5-6 million...he's not going to play for free. He's never missed playoffs so it's almost like he's played a couple more seasons on top of all the regular seasons he's played up to this point. He's played 235 playoff games in his career, which about the equivalent of 3 seasons worth of games. The Wings have to continue to pay him handsomely regardless of his age or where his game is at compared to the past. This guy has rightfully earned everything he's received in his days as a Wing. I never once thought this guy was cheating or stealing from this team.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:01 AM
RabbinsDuck

I'd love to see Lidstrom take $4.5m -- pretty optimistic, but I wouldn't be shocked if he went down that low.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:06 AM
doublejack

I want to get through next season before speculating on this topic. I don't imagine Lidstrom will sign anything prior to next June or July, nor is it clear he even desires to play another season. He even made some comments about his current contract possibly being his last.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:12 AM
angularcrayon19
It's The System

Nick is worth at least $ 73,065,000 according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ies_in_the_NHL maybe I am being overly optimistic but perhaps he understands that if he takes a huge cut in his salary, Holland can sign a big name free agent or two next off season.
My speculation: He takes a bigger salary cut, bigger than what anyone on this board anticipates.

angularcrayon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by somepuertorican View Post
Nick is worth at least $ 73,065,000 according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ies_in_the_NHL maybe I am being overly optimistic but perhaps he understands that if he takes a huge cut in his salary, Holland can sign a big name free agent or two next off season.
My speculation: He takes a bigger salary cut, bigger than what anyone on this board anticipates.
That's just what he has earned over 16 years and really bears no relevance to what he will be worth when he's 40 going on 41 a year from now.

Although it is interesting to see that Jaromir Jagr has almost certainly earned over 100 million dollars over his career given his KHL time.

Old
07-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Henkka

Nick will take what is left in the cap. If it's 525k (next year minimum), he'll take it.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Nick will take what is left in the cap. If it's 525k (next year minimum), he'll take it.
Nah I think he'll take a front loaded 2 million cap hit 6 year contract.

Tomas W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 02:10 PM
hexrae

That wouldn't work unless he planned to play those 6 years (Cap hit still counts for length of contract even if retired, due to contract being signed when player was over 35 years old...I believe this is the rule).

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 03:57 PM
FissionFire

I think it's way too early to speculate on this until we get closer to like the Olympic break and the early indicators of where the cap might be come out. If the cap remains flat he'll get paid 6M most likely. If the cap takes a big dip.....well he might just hang them up instead of playing for 3-4M.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
I think it's way too early to speculate on this until we get closer to like the Olympic break and the early indicators of where the cap might be come out. If the cap remains flat he'll instead of playing for 3-4Mget paid 6M most likely. If the cap takes a big dip.....well he might just hang them up .
I can see Lidstrom hanging them up but not just because the cap took a dip. I think he'd look at the situation and understand it and keep playing if he wanted to keep playing.

Winger98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 05:38 PM
mottjm7

If Niedermayer got 6 mill, why would Lidstrom get any less than 5.5 mill?

I say IF he plays another year, 1 year 6.25 mill

assuming nothing unforeseen happens

mottjm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

I could easily see him taking a huge paycut, but I would not hesitate at all to give him the $6 million that he deserves.

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottjm7 View Post
If Niedermayer got 6 mill, why would Lidstrom get any less than 5.5 mill?

I say IF he plays another year, 1 year 6.25 mill

assuming nothing unforeseen happens
Campbell got 7.14 mil, so Lidstrom should have been playing for max salary these past years.

you have to be careful comparing between two teams in very different situations. I can imagine Lidstrom taking a smaller paycheck because we will have a few spots to fill with UFAs unless we want to rush even more guys up next year.

Old
07-15-2009, 11:19 PM
mottjm7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
Campbell got 7.14 mil, so Lidstrom should have been playing for max salary these past years.

you have to be careful comparing between two teams in very different situations. I can imagine Lidstrom taking a smaller paycheck because we will have a few spots to fill with UFAs unless we want to rush even more guys up next year.
We will have to see. I think its safe to assume people in general will say (even currently) that Lidstrom is a better Dman than Niedermayer. Its not like I'm comparing apples to oranges. I don't think its fair to assume that Lidstrom should have to take a multi-million pay cut just cause we have spots to fill. He will want and should get what hes worth at the moment... which is why it will be hard to speculate what will happen at the end of next year.

mottjm7 is offline   Reply With Quote