HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why Bob Gainey Still Has A Job

Old
07-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Turboflex*

vCash: 500
You know, last time I read a MaxHockey article I swore I would never click a link to there again. Once fooled shame on you, twice fooled shame on me, did it again and was treated with a steaming load of crapola. What a piece of garbage.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:52 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Man this Gomez trade has got to be the most overhyped thing I've ever seen.

He traded away Chris Higgins, who I really, really like, but who was never really THAT good. Higgins is not a top 6 player on a good team. He's a reasonable top 6 player on a mediocre team. He's very useful in other ways, like the PK and such, but again, he's not a superstar and I think it's unlikely that he's suddenly going to become amazing (though, I guess it's possible). He just never really panned out...And while at one point it looked like he was going to be a 40-40 guy, I just don't see it happening.

As for McDonagh, it hurts to lose a good prospect like that but McDonagh is still at least 4-5 years away. He's going back to school this year for sure, and then he needs a few years in the AHL. Even then, he's not going to be ready for a top4 role in the NHL when he first comes up.

The only issue I have with the Gomez trade is the cap hit, but in the end, I find that the cap hit means nothing and there have been plenty of teams who are doing just fine despite being capped out to the max. Especially if the amnesty buyouts happen.
You think he's going to first crack an NHL roster at the age of 24 or 25? It's already been 2 years since his draft year, and his development has gone well from what I've heard so you think it will take 6-7 years from his draft year to crack an NHL roster?

Thats crazy for a kid with his upside.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:54 AM
habsfans333*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
You think he's going to first crack an NHL roster at the age of 24 or 25? It's already been 2 years since his draft year, and his development has gone well from what I've heard so you think it will take 6-7 years from his draft year to crack an NHL roster?

Which upside? Offensively he doesn't have a good upside. He was outscored by McBain, Gardiner, Smith and IIRC he was tie with Cody Goloubef in the scoring on his team among dman.

He is a good prospect, but he is nothing to write home about.

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 07:06 AM
1UP

Isn't Maxhockey like the Onion, only unfunny?

Anyway, Gillett has been the owner for 8 years now, and still is, until the process is completed, during fall.

The Molson brothers, in NO WAY, need an introduction into the NHL world.

And Gainey had this planned for quite some time, as he timed a lot of his contracts to be able to make some choices.

Ridiculous article.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 07:22 AM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
No you don't, it's not like a team ever won a cup doing that.

Hmm, what?

Oh, sorry.
Slightly different quality of coaching, goaltending, defense, and offense, but yeah, that's comparable...

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:55 PM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
No you don't, it's not like a team ever won a cup doing that.

Hmm, what?

Oh, sorry.
I would probably say that the Devils offense was built around Elias, not Gomez

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:58 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Bob Gainey has given the fans some reasons to be excited about next season.
with mediocre high priced talent? meh...TBay part 2.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman03 View Post
I would probably say that the Devils offense was built around Elias, not Gomez
Well, we could say that our offense is built around Cammalleri, not Gomez. But really, we're just building a solid offensive squad with no clear leader, just like most of the teams out there. The fact that the Gomez trade attracted a number of free agent signing doesn't means he's the key piece on Montreal's offense. I don't understand this "build around Gomez" idea.

Last edited by Spy: 07-16-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:23 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post

No, I think he might crack the roster before that, but he won't be a legit top 4 d-man before 24 or 25 for sure.

He's already going back to school this year. That's one year.

Assuming he plays in the AHL next year (he should), that's another year.

If he makes the NHL one year later, that's already 3 years away. And frankly, I have my doubts.

He was a good prospect with decent upside but his development has NOT been anything to write home about. I don't think he's a bust, at all, but I also don't think he's going to become a star d-man.

Komisarek is what, 26 years old? The guy didn't really start to make an impact in the NHL until he was 24 (tops). And he too was a high first round pick with major hype.

If anyone is expecting McDonagh to come in within a few years and be a defensive stud, they will be disappointed. He still needs work and he's still a while from being ready.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote