HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How likely is it that Kabers gets traded?

Old
07-15-2009, 11:26 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
I'm going to go with no. Moving a pair of guys like Van Ryn & Frogren is just such an easier & less risky approach......demote let Stralman be the #8 / #1 AHL guy and you've got one of the league's best top 6s.... with Exelby as a 7th and Stralman potentially elevating his game when guys get hurt.

If you move Kaberle, you're really putting a big stake into White being able to shoulder the load offensively and either Van Ryn staying healthy or Stralman making huge strides in his game.... 2 things which are pretty big gambles. At this point I don't see Burkie getting an offer that makes him significantly better up front.

Most teams just either don't need a #1 puckmover that badly or aren't in a position to part with quality up front.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
kinda likely?

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4ever View Post
So then Burke can get one in 2 or 3 years.
Can he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeleaf4life View Post
just like we'd be trying to replace Kaberle for a long time if we got rid of him.
Except by the time we're actually a contender, Kaberle won't be Kaberle and we'll also need a #1 puckmover.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:08 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Can he?

Except by the time we're actually a contender, Kaberle won't be Kaberle and we'll also need a #1 puckmover.
Or he won't be a Leaf. He will want a raise and another NTC and I am not convinced Burke will be keen on giving him either. He will find a "Burke type" guy to drop his $6 million dollars on next time.
Keeping Kabs will only be a two year thing, and he will start to pout and his play will decline by half way through the second year once it becomes clear they are not going to offer him a retirement contract.
I give him a 20% chance or less of remaining a Leaf. They could use his skills this season but he isn't the guy that Burke will want to lead his D on a contender.

Last edited by nuck: 07-16-2009 at 01:15 AM.
nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Superstar

For Kaberle to move, I think we definitely need at the very least a top-6 forward (and it has to be a roster player) in return; we cannot afford to gamble on prospects and picks who may not pan out coming back our way. We could hold out on when Chicago gets really desperate to move a couple of young roster players and a pick for Kaberle -- either lose these $3 million players right now or lose Toews or Kane in a year or so, easy choice if you're Chicago. I say we hold out for Chicago to trade their 1st pick and a roster player or two for Kaberle.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:33 AM
MickKaine

I could see Burke waiting until next summer if the offer he wants doesn't come around. He can wait it out while a contract like that because more valuable with the looming cap decrease.

MickKaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 09:30 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I think Kaberle stays, and I think he stays for several more years, and I think we will remember why we like him so much this year. He's got more than a 19 year old Luke Schenn and Ian White protecting him physically this year, and he's got Beauchemin, Komi and Schenn watching his back defensively.

Trading Kaberle is a sign of a tear down and re-build, which based on the UFA signings isn't happening. Keeping Kaberle possibly helps the Leafs make the post-season, which means Kaberle won't have a trade window ever again. I'm sure BB understands that if he is going to trade him, it has to be in the next month. I think we should stop with the trade deadline scenarios and the next off-season scenario, because they have not been realistic to date, so why would they be now.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote