HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GMGM's Non-Drafted signee's. no respect?

Old
07-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Beltwayman

vCash: 500
GMGM's Non-Drafted signee's. no respect?

Newby alert! Hi! Don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet. Did you hear the draft talk concerning the caps this past event? It was pointed out on SportsNight, NHL network, and I think written on the web (the post?) how GMGM's farm system is deep, but the only draftee's to make it to the Big Show has been the #1 draftees....blah, blah, blah.
I kept lookin and listenin' for someone, (at least locally) to point out the non-draft signee's he has spotted and scooped up without any satisfaction! Although they aren't blow you away talents, they've made it to the nhl and have played thier roles. Jay Beagle, Tyler Sloan. And don't forget players drafted by another team who couldn't see the talent they had, don't offer said prospect a contract so in swopes GMGM and scoop him up, like David Steckel. That mean's they are not just a 'number one draftee talant finder'. I didn't think they were giving GMGM the credit he deserved. Did I miss someone that falls in those two catagories? Tell me.

Last edited by Beltwayman: 07-06-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Beltwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 05:22 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Jeff Halpern was an undrafted signee.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 05:57 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
So this is what a new thread looks like...

OT: I don't think GMGM gets nearly enough credit. I for one like what he's doing and think he is among the better GMs in the league.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 06:04 PM
mr faux pas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltwayman View Post
Newby alert! Hi! Don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet. Did you hear the draft talk concerning the caps this past event? It was pointed out on SportsNight, NHL network, and I think written on the web (the post?) how GMGM's farm system is deep, but the only draftee's to make it to the Big Show has been the #1 draftees....blah, blah, blah.
I kept lookin and listenin' for someone, (at least locally) to point out the non-draft signee's he has spotted and scooped up without any satisfaction! Although they aren't blow you away talents, they've made it to the nhl and have played thier roles. Jay Beagle, Tyler Sloan. And don't forget players drafted by another team who couldn't see the talent they had, don't offer said prospect a contract so in swopes GMGM and scoop him up, like David Steckel. That mean's they are not just a 'number one draftee talant finder'. I didn't think they were giving GMGM the credit he deserved. Did I miss someone that falls in those two catagories? Tell me.
It works the other way too ... Oduya would probably look good in our top 4 these days. Bet they regret letting him get away.

But yeah, Steckel in particular seems like a good find. I'd say Beagle and Sloan aren't established yet, but I'll root for 'em.

mr faux pas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 06:40 PM
LSF76

Sean Collins has also contributed in the NHL.

LSF76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 06:48 PM
pgreene

wonder what the numbers are league-wide on this type of player? i mean, for every martin st. louis, i'd imagine there are about 100 or so that didn't quite pan out.

halpern's the only guy i can think of recently who's been a pseudo-impact player at the nhl level. we probably never would've had him had he not been a local boy. different scouting priorities, i guess?

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 06:53 PM
LetsGoBears

Kind of lost exactly what you're getting at, but Sloan was undrafted and not originally picked up by Washington.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Adam Oates was undrafted... but also well-established by the time he found his way to the Caps. And therefore not really relevant to the thread... but hey, I haven't seen his name in a while so here it is!

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Whopper88

Back in the days there were a ton of players that fall in this category that the Caps let go. Andrew Brunette, Jason Allison, Anson Carter, Nathan Paetch and Nick Boynton to name a few. I don't think those are GMGM draft picks though.

Whopper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 11:49 PM
atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper88 View Post
Back in the days there were a ton of players that fall in this category that the Caps let go. Andrew Brunette, Jason Allison, Anson Carter, Nathan Paetch and Nick Boynton to name a few. I don't think those are GMGM draft picks though.

Boyton was a Mcphee pick. He said Poile's scouts made the recommendation and he didn't have time to get his own scouts in and when he did they didn't think much of Boyton.

Allison and Carter weren't let go. They were traded for Adam Oates who helped the Caps get to their only finals appearance.

Brunette was lost in the expansion draft.

atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Kegger

vCash: 510
Oduya...dont get me started on the failures of management to retain him. Oh well, win some--lose some. And, to some extent Nathan Paetsch.

Otherwise, Steckel came at the prompting of Boudreau when he was removed as coach from Manchester and became established at Hershey.

FYI...Pettinger was a second rounder.

I would count Brooks Laich, as he was traded for (while playing from the Binghamton Sens). Same for Tomas Fleishman (no AHL experience).

Not to mention that Neuvirth, Bourque, and Osala are knocking at the door.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 08:14 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Oduya...dont get me started on the failures of management to retain him. Oh well, win some--lose some. And, to some extent Nathan Paetsch.

Otherwise, Steckel came at the prompting of Boudreau when he was removed as coach from Manchester and became established at Hershey.

FYI...Pettinger was a second rounder.

I would count Brooks Laich, as he was traded for (while playing from the Binghamton Sens). Same for Tomas Fleishman (no AHL experience).

Not to mention that Neuvirth, Bourque, and Osala are knocking at the door.
FWIW, I am still interested to find out what happened with the Caps and Oduya. From camp reports/Caps Report, it sounded like Vogel liked him a lot but of course, he doesn't work in hockey operations. I liked the little I saw of him.

They never signed him and lost his rights and most assumed that the Caps never made him an offer. I know Tomppa posted some info. from reports in Europe that he was waiting for a Caps offer. However, there were some comments in the NJ paper that made it sound like McPhee made an offer and Oduya declined and chose to become UFA and sign with NJ. I thought it was odd at the time, because comparing the NHL bluelines at the time, the Caps blueline looked like the one with more of an opportunity. It wasn't a big contract and it is possible, if the Caps offered very little that he decided to wait it out and sign with a different team. I asked around at the time, but was never able to get confirmation as to whether the Caps made a contract offer or not.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 07-16-2009 at 08:21 AM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Foy

Capitals fans would have booed Oduya to death by this point. I don't miss him one bit on our blueline.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 09:31 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Capitals fans would have booed Oduya to death by this point. I don't miss him one bit on our blueline.
I agree with the sentiment, but the fact that our management, after watching Oduya for years, did not see an NHL future for him, is disheartening. Especially when you consider that he jumped straight to the Devils -he didn't even require refinement in Albany.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I agree with the sentiment, but the fact that our management, after watching Oduya for years, did not see an NHL future for him, is disheartening. Especially when you consider that he jumped straight to the Devils -he didn't even require refinement in Albany.
I think the fact that he never spent much time in the minors shows. He's one of the least focused players I've seen out there. He makes lots of great plays, accompanied by lots of bad decisions. A lot of his mistakes are covered up for by the Devil's excellent team-wide defense (forwards and his d partner). He's like Mike Green without the offensive upside and not as good in his own end.

Old
07-16-2009, 09:37 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Part of that was a cap necessity, IIRC, plus his performance in camp.

Agree they would have booed him at the beginning as he's had his ups and downs as he has adjusted to the NHL game, but IMO, Foy's comments are a bit much given how he has performed for the Devils overall and more recently (and I watch/follow the Devils as much as if not more than anyone on the Caps boards, including Foy.)

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Part of that was a cap necessity, IIRC, plus his performance in camp.

Agree they would have booed him at the beginning as he's had his ups and downs as he has adjusted to the NHL game, but IMO, Foy's comments are a bit much given how he has performed for the Devils overall and more recently (and I watch/follow the Devils as much as if not more than anyone on the Caps boards, including Foy.)
There's one Johnny Oduya moment that sticks out in my mind. When he got faked out by Donald Brashear so badly he fell down. He's a perfect fit for NJ, and plays well in their system, supported by team defense. He always seems to have an amazing game against the Flyers, which I of course love, but I'm just not an Oduya fan. I feel about him the way many Caps fans feel about Jeff Schultz.

Old
07-20-2009, 05:28 PM
GetBengt

Quote:
I'm just not an Oduya fan. I feel about him the way many Caps fans feel about Jeff Schultz.
Hostile without any rational basis?

Sorry, had to do it in honor of GMGM's impassioned Schultzie defense on today's conference call.

GetBengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetBengt View Post
Hostile without any rational basis?

Sorry, had to do it in honor of GMGM's impassioned Schultzie defense on today's conference call.
My rational basis is from watching 40 or so Devils games a year. It's from watching him play in person 4 or 5 times a year.

Old
07-21-2009, 03:54 PM
GetBengt

Quote:
My rational basis is from watching 40 or so Devils games a year...
Just a Schultz-hater dig pace your analogy. No serious offense intended.

/abandons threadjack

GetBengt is offline   Reply With Quote