HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penn State Comcast/Center Ice

Old
07-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Hubey1327

vCash: 500
Penn State Comcast/Center Ice

Way off topic and mods can close it once i get an answer but i go to penn state and comcast blacks out all flyers games but we get all the pens games. Last year i was forced to go to the bar for every game to watch the fly guys which got expensive. Now that i have money i was gonna get center ice but i was wondering if there were any other PSU people that had center ice so i can make sure they arent blacked out on there too. gracias

Hubey1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:18 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubey1327 View Post
Way off topic and mods can close it once i get an answer but i go to penn state and comcast blacks out all flyers games but we get all the pens games. Last year i was forced to go to the bar for every game to watch the fly guys which got expensive. Now that i have money i was gonna get center ice but i was wondering if there were any other PSU people that had center ice so i can make sure they arent blacked out on there too. gracias
Do you normally get CSN there, and they black out the games?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:23 AM
kicksave27

welcome to philly sports fan hell. Luckily i lived right behind champs, a great sports bar.

And you get to hear mike lange when they play the pens, which is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

There used to be a zip code search on the DirecTV and Dish web sites. But they weren't always accurate (as in my case below), but the zip code rules apply, just like cable.
But no matter what you find online, still call your provider and hound them until you get someone who can answer your question. You are paying them for service.
In March 2008, lines in Northeast and Northcentral Pa. were moved, changing NY/Pitt areas to Philly/Pitt areas. But it sounds like you are in a Pittsburgh region, which is why the Flyers are blacked out. That would mean you should get the games on Center Ice, but check first.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:38 AM
blasimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Do you normally get CSN there, and they black out the games?
I'm at PSU, but not on comcast (D&E Communications). I do get CSN Philly, and I can confirm they don't blackout the flyers games. When they are on.

blasimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Hubey1327

yeah i get CSN and they black out only flyers on comcast, i get phils, sixers and eagles. its garbage. im def going to get center ice this year but i guess ill have to call comcast to see if they will black out the flyers on that too cause then it would be a little pointless to pay the money for it.

Old
07-16-2009, 01:28 PM
flountown

They shouldn't black out the games on Center Ice, however, you might have to live with watching opposing teams' feeds. Meaning you will ultimately have to listen to the other teams announcers, which sucks sometimes.

But its always fun to watch the French-Canadian feeds.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:31 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
welcome to philly sports fan hell. Luckily i lived right behind champs, a great sports bar.

And you get to hear mike lange when they play the pens, which is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.
Champ's was one of my favorite places to go, even though I lived downtown. Incidentally, Paul Steigerwald does Pittsburgh's television PBP now. Lange was moved to radio a few seasons ago.

That said, I don't understand why Flyers games would get blacked out on Comcast SportsNet in State College. What cable system do you have up there?

Edit: A friend of mine is chiming in on this discussion, telling me it's because CSN considers State College to be a "secondary" Philadelphia market, and that Phillies games are also blacked out from time to time. I remember when I first went up there, the only Philadelphia station to come through was WB17, and it was the first year (or so) that the Phils and Flyers had moved to UPN 57.

Last edited by i am dave: 07-16-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: update info
i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Hubey1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Champ's was one of my favorite places to go, even though I lived downtown. Incidentally, Paul Steigerwald does Pittsburgh's television PBP now. Lange was moved to radio a few seasons ago.

That said, I don't understand why Flyers games would get blacked out on Comcast SportsNet in State College. What cable system do you have up there?
its surprisingly comcast haha. im thinkin the other guy was right when he said it will just be the other teams feed which is fine with me as long as i have the game

Old
07-16-2009, 01:43 PM
i am dave

Quote:
its surprisingly comcast haha. im thinkin the other guy was right when he said it will just be the other teams feed which is fine with me as long as i have the game
P.S. If you're a Penn Stater, you might want to change your avatar

Old
07-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Hubey1327

Quote:
P.S. If you're a Penn Stater, you might want to change your avatar
its jeremy maclin. hes a bird

Old
07-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Defmincex13

i mean if you really wanna roll cheap and free. There are sites (will not name or link) that stream all pro sports games nightly. I only know this cause I have Verizon Fios and when Comcast on purpose to piss Verizon customers would put the Flyers on CN8 (fios does dont get this channel) and the Sixers CSN, id go this route rather then bars. Because most bars forget to put hockey on anyways over espn2 ****.

Granted online streaming feeds are not HD and sometimes laggy, but its come a long way where its totally watchable and smooth and a matter of only seconds delayed. Id suggest only doing this route if your to poor to goto the bars or its to cold out! haha.

Defmincex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Hubey1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defmincex13 View Post
i mean if you really wanna roll cheap and free. There are sites (will not name or link) that stream all pro sports games nightly. I only know this cause I have Verizon Fios and when Comcast on purpose to piss Verizon customers would put the Flyers on CN8 (fios does dont get this channel) and the Sixers CSN, id go this route rather then bars. Because most bars forget to put hockey on anyways over espn2 ****.

Granted online streaming feeds are not HD and sometimes laggy, but its come a long way where its totally watchable and smooth and a matter of only seconds delayed. Id suggest only doing this route if your to poor to goto the bars or its to cold out! haha.
the bar i go to puts the game on but it gets pricey so i went to the free online streaming and that was garbage haha dont know how anyone can do that all year.

Old
07-16-2009, 02:17 PM
jme42257

weird. when I went there, 2002-2007... one of the years they first got Comcast up there, and they had all the games shown no problem. I lived right behind Champs as well, Nittany Crossing actually

jme42257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:50 PM
DogwoodFLY

I goto Penn State as well, lived in Copper Beech off of aaron. The whole black out thing was the bane of my exsistance. Watching online feeds, yeah Im that guy you cant imagine. This year im moving down onto allen and i think I'll try to get D&E so that i can watch the game on there. I remember an old highschool friend of mine who lived in the Nittany Crossing area who had Center Ice so to answer your question, No I do not believe they black out the game.

Side note: What bar... Champs?

DogwoodFLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Hubey1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogwoodFLY View Post
I goto Penn State as well, lived in Copper Beech off of aaron. The whole black out thing was the bane of my exsistance. Watching online feeds, yeah Im that guy you cant imagine. This year im moving down onto allen and i think I'll try to get D&E so that i can watch the game on there. I remember an old highschool friend of mine who lived in the Nittany Crossing area who had Center Ice so to answer your question, No I do not believe they black out the game.

good stuff thanks for the answer man. i was most likely going to buy it anyways.

i went all over the place. depends on where my friends wanted to go but the 797 lounge when open played the flyers and pens games every night. they had the rangers on if you asked for it too

Old
07-16-2009, 03:08 PM
DogwoodFLY

Quote:
good stuff thanks for the answer man. i was most likely going to buy it anyways.

i went all over the place. depends on where my friends wanted to go but the 797 lounge when open played the flyers and pens games every night. they had the rangers on if you asked for it too
Yeah I was there for game 6 decked out in jersey and everything, of course there were no pens fans showing jerseys, one or two t shirts, man that sucked, what a heart breaking loss.

DogwoodFLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 05:32 PM
turkinaa

When I went to PSU main campus they had FSN with Pen's games and I never got any Flyer games, but I would get Philly's Fox network and Eagle games. I spent the last 3 hockey seasons in Baltimore and got the center ice package. Sometimes they ended up blacking out the games or not carrying them anyway (sometimes due to Cap games, sometimes not).

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:21 AM
i am dave

Quote:
its jeremy maclin. hes a bird
I know who it is, it's just that you've got him pictured as a Mizzou Tiger! 10 days until training camp and you can get yourself a new picture...

Old
07-17-2009, 07:26 AM
Hubey1327

Quote:
I know who it is, it's just that you've got him pictured as a Mizzou Tiger! 10 days until training camp and you can get yourself a new picture...
easy senorita, everything will be ok.

Old
07-17-2009, 09:27 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogwoodFLY View Post

I'm living there this year, how was it?

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote