HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lang possibly going to KHL?

Old
07-16-2009, 08:55 AM
the goalie man 31

vCash: 500
Lang possibly going to KHL?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eric-...-Line/82/22141

Seems Lang has been offered good money to go to KHL. Do you think it's possible with the cap space we have left to pick him up? Do we need him?

Gainey looking at new second line possibilities with maybe some changes left.

Discuss.

the goalie man 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Ado*

I'd take an old Lang over a young Plekanec any day

Ado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by the goalie man 31 View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eric-...-Line/82/22141

Seems Lang has been offered good money to go to KHL. Do you think it's possible with the cap space we have left to pick him up? Do we need him?

Gainey looking at new second line possibilities with maybe some changes left.

Discuss.
I also heard this from another source NOT named Eklund so I think it is going to happen. Good for him. I do not think he will find another job in the NHL this year. Good luck Lang

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 09:02 AM
JrHockeyFan

I was at that game he got injured in and at first the contact seemed so inconsequential. Like a trip or something. Things really started to unravel for us around then. Lang was doing a great job for us

Too bad really. I guess the age and injury factors prevent him from getting a decent offer in $$$ or yrs from the NHL. He has to take care of himself. But I can see why GMs are not taking a risk

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 09:26 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
I'd take an old Lang over a young Plekanec any day
Why?

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 09:31 AM
la25ecoupe

We can sign him in April? for the cup run?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Why?
Because Plekanec plays like a ****ing fairy and needs his wingers to make him better. Lang isn't the most physical player around, but he goes in the corners and make his wingers better.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 09:46 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
Because Plekanec plays like a ****ing fairy and needs his wingers to make him better. Lang isn't the most physical player around, but he goes in the corners and make his wingers better.
Ooohhh i can play this game to:

Lang is big but its just as well he was 5 feet tall because he doesn't use his size one bit plus he plays the game in slow motion.

Plekanec is quick and has good vision and could very well have a 25-45-70 season in him this year with good chemistry with his wingers.

Old
07-16-2009, 10:11 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:

Lang is big but its just as well he was 5 feet tall because he doesn't use his size one bit plus he plays the game in slow motion.

Plekanec is quick and has good vision and could very well have a 25-45-70 season in him this year with good chemistry with his wingers.
Looks like a fun game.

In the end I think unless a trade is made, nobody else will be added via free agency.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 10:16 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Looks like a fun game.

In the end I think unless a trade is made, nobody else will be added via free agency.
Thats hf mentality for ya when arguing for or against a player.

You pick out one guys assets and mention none of his flaws, while the other guy you pick apart his flaws without mentioning any of his assets. Very fun game! And the only way to counter an statement against someone so narrow-minded is to just play it his way.

Old
07-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Words are that Lang is asking for too much, so he's likely to go in the KHL. I think we will see many old players who are close to retirement go finish their career in Russia because they can get big bucks!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 10:27 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
The KHL is the best for him. Judging by last season, he has a lot left in the tank, but he's going to find it hard finding a job in the NHL after his injury, and seeing as he's pushing/is 40.
Best of luck!

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 10:40 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
No, we don't need him, good guy, good player but he's older and coming off a big injury. We move on.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Turboflex*

Everyone knows how effective he was last season, my guess is there's 2 possible reasons he wasn't re-signed yet by Gainey:

1) Gainey is still looking for a 2nd line centre in a trade

or

2) Lang is still not 100% recovered from his injury (a severed tendon is not an easy one to recover from), he's lost a step, and they believe his NHL effectiveness will be significantly diminished because of it.

If it's indeed situation #2, then he's finished in the NHL asides from as a third/fourth line centre Mike Modano type.

If it's situation #1 then it is possible he has an understanding with Gainey that he'll be offered a contract in a month or two if no acquisition for a real second line centre is possible (if they decide to dump Plekanec and go with Lang for 09-10 whiel they work on a long term solution), but I guess that depends on how high the team's management is on Plekanec as a legit top line centre.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:39 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
I think Gainey is going to keep Plekanec as a 2nd line center. If he sucks like last year he can always trade him and search for a replacement at trade deadline. If Plekanec plays like he can (and is on pace for a 55-65pts season) then he'll keep him and we'll all be happy he's still with us.

Either way we don't need Lang (and I love Lang )

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I think Lang is still hurt.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

I met him at the airport in Chicago. Really cool guy, sat there and spoke for a good 45 - 1hr waiting to board. He really likes Montreal, I would definitly want him back, but Im not sure at what price. Looks like he wanted to come back too, but he could have been putting on an act...for a big Habs fan

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
No, we don't need him, good guy, good player but he's older and coming off a big injury. We move on.

Ditto!
This team is all about moving on. The Habs have enough vets with large contracts.

dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:39 PM
muzion

Quote:

See that's the thing, he doesn't have good vision. If he did nobody would be talking about acquiring a better 2nd line center. I remember being impressed only twice by a pass he made since he's been playing with the Habs.

It's not that he doesn't have offensive skill, it's just that I find that his defensive skill, speed and hard work are what set up his scoring chances.

I don't see why so many people consider him a playmaker. Of all the people who have played in our top 9 last year, I believe only Lapierre, Latendresse and Kostopoulos have less vision than him. Hell Latendresse might be a better passer than Plekanec but that is negated since he'll fumble the puck before he can make a play. I think Pacioretty and even D'Agostini are better passers than him... I forgot about Higgins but hey at least he has strokes of genius once every 5 games...

In saying that he'll probably thrive under Martin if given the chance

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote