HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jakub Kindl

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2004, 11:58 AM
dancingtree

vCash: 500
Jakub Kindl

ISS and Redline have Kindl at #3 (behind Crosby and Brule) for next year's draft and boast of his offensive abilities. Since he has come over to the OHL, Jakub is not producing at all. Is he over-hyped? Is it too early to tell? Has anybody seen him play? Thanks.

Old
10-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Most people feel his play thus far has been a major disappointment (statistically anyway).

McKeens though, recently had a report on his progress and actually still felt pretty highly of him. They praised him for his defensive play and taking close to 30 minutes of ice time in a game where the Rangers defensive corps were hit by injuries. Said he made all the right passes. On the downside, they did comment that he was not that great offensively though, and verified the consistent report that he simply was not very physical.

The problem is, if he's not that physical, and he is not that assertive offensively, it's unclear what you will be getting. Will his offence come around (maybe)? Will he develop an edge to his game (doubtful). His upside is pretty blurry right now, because he had been touted as a potential #1 defender, but it seems his offensive talents are not quite what you'd expect from a potential #1 d-man. I would think he has drifted out of the top 10, but is still a bonafide first rounder who could move back into the top 10 if he picks up his offensive game a bit. If he was asserting himself on the Rangers powerplay, he'd probably still be top 5. The good news for Kindl is the season is still very early, and it might just be a case of him wanting to get aclimatized to North American hockey before he starts opening things up. We'll see.

Old
10-25-2004, 03:19 PM
trahans99

I've seen him play 3 times and he doesn't look like anything special at all and definately not #3. If I did not know he was projected to go high I would expect him to be a 2nd-3rd round pick. I know 3 games isn't a great indicator but if everyone else is questioning him to o than its not just me.

Old
10-25-2004, 06:57 PM
borro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahans99
I've seen him play 3 times and he doesn't look like anything special at all and definately not #3. If I did not know he was projected to go high I would expect him to be a 2nd-3rd round pick. I know 3 games isn't a great indicator but if everyone else is questioning him to o than its not just me.
Caps fans are watching Kindl's progress. He played for Pardubice, his teammate Petr Sykora is a top prospect for us, considered to be coming when the NHL resumes. Kindl meets a need for us IF he plays physical. If not maybe we look at Johnson, Anikienko, Belov or Staal.

Old
10-25-2004, 06:59 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Kindl is very smooth, very solid, very smart and poised, on top of a lot of raw skill.

I wouldn't go into a fit after only a dozen or so North American games....Be patient and this guy should show what he can do.

I think his WJC's performance well tell us were he well be drafted.

I still like Jack Johnson more though for the top defenseman of the 2005 class.

Old
10-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
Kindl is very smooth, very solid, very smart and poised, on top of a lot of raw skill.

I wouldn't go into a fit after only a dozen or so North American games....Be patient and this guy should show what he can do.

No offense X-Sharkie, but what OHL games do you get to see in Wisconsin?

I ask because you speak with a lot of first-person authority on guys I am assuming you have never personally seen.

Old
10-25-2004, 10:12 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan
No offense X-Sharkie, but what OHL games do you get to see in Wisconsin?

I ask because you speak with a lot of first-person authority on guys I am assuming you have never personally seen.
He watched more hockey games than any proffessional scout in north america.

Old
10-25-2004, 10:34 PM
Marmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax≤+bx+c
He watched more hockey games than any proffessional scout in north america.
Are you kidding, he probably watched more hockey game than any scouts on the surface of this planet. I'm starting to believe that this guy is like God, how do the call this? Omniscient?

Old
10-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Ziner

Quote:

I have seen Kindl a couple times now, granted it isn't much for me to make a basis on but like Sharkie says he is very smooth, solid, smart and poised. I think that he has tons of potential, and that the offence has just not come to him quite yet, and that he can be a lot more physical. When I have seen him so far he has made the excellent first pass, and threading the needle quite a few times. He showed great vision, and smart defensive positioning, but again not taking the body.

I'm not sure if this is just because of him getting used to the North-American game, or what....but hopefully he can show his offensive potential, and maybe even make a few big hits.

Old
10-26-2004, 08:04 AM
X-SHARKIE

Umm, I never claimed to see Kindl in the OHL, I was just saying for a guy this talented you canít jump of the bandwagon so soon just because of a sub par start. I never once said I saw him in the OHL, but for the record I get some sportsnet games from the OHL.

Edit: Also QMJHL on Eastlink.ca and Eastlink cable. I see the Russian selects games vs the CHL, I see the CHL top prospects games, Some local Sudburry Wolves games, Shaw T.V. has done a few WHL games in the pastÖ.and a lot of NCAA/USHL games live. Games are out there, but I donít claim to see Kindl while in the OHL because I simply havenít. Doesnít mean I canít chime in on him though when people are starting to jump off the bandwagon because of stats.

Last edited by X-SHARKIE: 10-26-2004 at 08:20 AM.
Old
10-26-2004, 08:19 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Based on what I've seen of prospects in the past, is they tend not to become more aggresive. As one scout so aptly put it, you don't learn to play mean - it's either in you, or it's not. Still, it doesn't mean he can't become a top line defender - Lidstrom has proven you can be a number 1 d-man without being a feared defender.

That said, his offensive production may indeed pick up. He seems to at least have the tool box for it.

Old
10-26-2004, 11:01 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I wish I lived somewhere outside of Canada so I could attend and watch more games you know...

Old
10-26-2004, 11:24 AM
J-D

Canada? There's plenty of junior and AHL hockey in Canada. Maybe you meant Montreal?

Old
10-26-2004, 11:52 AM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

They can rate him #1 for all I care... will he get picked top 10 if his numbers don't come around? Probably not.

Old
10-26-2004, 12:05 PM
X-SHARKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D
Canada? There's plenty of junior and AHL hockey in Canada. Maybe you meant Montreal?

yeah I'm surprised still to this day that the Q didn't survive in Montreal.

Old
10-26-2004, 12:31 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
yeah I'm surprised still to this day that the Q didn't survive in Montreal.
By the way, it's the league's #1 priority to get junior hockey in Montreal. There's a rumor that the Canadiens Junior will come back since Gillet is willing to get involved.

edit : Oh well it's more than a rumor when it's reported by Leroux who spoke directly with Courteau.

Old
10-26-2004, 12:31 PM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingtree
ISS and Redline have Kindl at #3 (behind Crosby and Brule) for next year's draft and boast of his offensive abilities. Since he has come over to the OHL, Jakub is not producing at all. Is he over-hyped? Is it too early to tell? Has anybody seen him play? Thanks.
I wouldn't worry about his production offensively. I have seen him play and he is the real deal. The tools are there, but I feel that maybe his offensive upside might not have been tapped just yet due to his overwhelming defensive responsibility. He didn't seem like he'd take a chance to create a chance. His offense will come around and take it for what it's worth but in my opinion he's a lock for being a top 10 pick and I would rank him in the top 5 without hesitation.

Closed Thread