HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Former NY Ranger Ron Talakoski passes away

Old
07-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Former NY Ranger Ron Talakoski passes away

http://www.universitysport.ca/e/stor...l.cfm?id=14407
used to love this guy. He was always in the Rookie games and fought everyone in front of him. He played a handful of games with us in the late 1980's sad story for this tough guy.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 09:23 PM
The Mouth

I remember this guy was a football player converted to Hockey Player fought anyone and everyone

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
There was no fear in this kid when he came up. Huge Mohawk hair cut in the preseason and a great picture of him in the local papers with the hair and a huge smile as he laid ontop of a Flyer during a brawl. He was a true 80's hockey goon from a era of really tuff guys.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 10:44 PM
The Thomas J.*

Sad story, no one should suffer like that.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Very sad stuff.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Larry Melnyk

Also, although I doubt 95 % of the people on here ever saw him, one of my origininal favorite Rangers, REGGIE FLEMMING also died the other day..

DAGOON44 and other fight lovers would have loved this guy...The Rangers enforcer of the mid 60's..Under 5'10 yet he fought anybody and everybody to protect the Rangers (most of who were prettty passive) and his teamates....Basically the only guy that really stood up..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:36 PM
eco's bones

Fleming came just before my time. As well as Orland Kurtenbach.

The guys who would drop the gloves when I first started following them were Ted Irvine, Vic Hadfield, Brad Park and Glen Sather.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post

The guys who would drop the gloves when I first started following them were Ted Irvine, Vic Hadfield, Brad Park and Glen Sather.
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...eggie-fleming/

A sweet story about Fleming, his fightsd and his life, the other day in the NY Times and plenty around the web..Was a well loved hockey player and teamate..As tough as they come but also could play (score, check, defense, PK)---what we miss today in the useless pre-arranged goon vs goon stuff..

If a MOD reads this, would it be a problem to add REGGIE FLEMMING to the subject title along with Talakoski???.

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Jxmarts

I remember Ron Talakoski's brief career with the Rangers well.

He was in the Rangers' system when GM Phil Esposito was convinced the need for enforcers was waning. Unfortunately for the Rangers, Espo's thinking was 20 years ahead of its time, and the Rangers literally took it on the chin. In March of '87, Espo called up reinforcements in the guise of Jay Caufield and Ron Talakoski to address the team's lack of size. Talakoski was as strong as an ox, but he probably wasn't as tall as the 6-3 he was listed, as I remember in his fights with Brian Curran that year, and Peter Taglianetti the next, that he had a distinct reach disadvantage and mainly tried to wrestle them. He did impress me as a player with a heart. The Rangers kept Caufield around for the rest of that year and sent Talakoski back to the minors. The following year he played mostly for their farm team in Colorado, where he had a very nice year, scoring 24 goals. But he never made it back to the NHL.

It was very sad to learn of his illness & his passing.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post

I never saw Fleming play, nor Kurtenbach as a Ranger. I always dreaded the fact that the Rangers traded Kurtenbach away, because the Rangers could've used his size & talent against the Bruins & Flyers.

We're probably around the same age. I remember Park would drop his gloves sometimes, but he really wasn't very good at it & you didn't really want him fighting anyway. Irvine & Hadfield were good fighters at one time, who had the size to stand up for their teammates, but completely chickened out when the Broad Street Bullies came to town. And Sather was brought in to provide a little grit (in an awful trade for Syl Apps), but he turned out to be more or less a punching bag.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Ranger Angst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...eggie-fleming/

A sweet story about Fleming, his fightsd and his life, the other day in the NY Times and plenty around the web..Was a well loved hockey player and teamate..As tough as they come but also could play (score, check, defense, PK)---what we miss today in the useless pre-arranged goon vs goon stuff..

If a MOD reads this, would it be a problem to add REGGIE FLEMMING to the subject title along with Talakoski???.
The interviews by his son are just so emotional. Thanks for the link

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote