HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Johnson Signed [Two Year Deal @ $1.425 Per Season]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-17-2009, 01:41 PM
  #26
Maynard
Registered User
 
Maynard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maynard
I owe CBGB an apology.

I doubted you and I apologize. You had the inside scoop on this deal 2 or 3 days ago and you even had the numbers almost dead on. I will refrain from **** talking until probably the trade deadline. Good job dude.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:08 PM
  #27
MxK1NGS
Registered User
 
MxK1NGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
Oh so now Sign Frolov!!!!!!!!!!!
I have money on it that the kings would sign him in the next 2 weeks!!

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:11 PM
  #28
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,169
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Palffy33 View Post
I have money on it that the kings would sign him in the next 2 weeks!!
They better. The argument that we can't afford an extension of the likes of $5 million per season is BS... I can't tell you how mad I will be if we pass on re-signing him for "money reasons" and end up getting little to nothing for him on the market. If we lose him, I want a bonafide product coming back, either that or re-sign him. I think Fro should take a discount just to get a NMC so Dean doesn't screw him over later.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:12 PM
  #29
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust
 
AKAY47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,301
vCash: 500
Sorry Matthew Barry, I doubted you, once again, and you proved me wrong..

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:16 PM
  #30
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
They better. The argument that we can't afford an extension of the likes of $5 million per season is BS... I can't tell you how mad I will be if we pass on re-signing him for "money reasons" and end up getting little to nothing for him on the market. If we lose him, I want a bonafide product coming back, either that or re-sign him. I think Fro should take a discount just to get a NMC so Dean doesn't screw him over later.
I usually side with the players in these situations. But has anyone considered that maybe Frolov does not want to sign an extension until he sees this team make a legitimate push for the playoffs? Remember he has yet to participate in post season hockey as a member of this team.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:23 PM
  #31
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
 
Puck U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Apple Valley, CA.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I usually side with the players in these situations. But has anyone considered that maybe Frolov does not want to sign an extension until he sees this team make a legitimate push for the playoffs? Remember he has yet to participate in post season hockey as a member of this team.
Well with thanks to Goallum on LGK for the links and translations, I'd say NO I haven't considered that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.letsgokings.com/bbs/f4/taking_ownership-123336.html
Q: At the end of next year your contract with your club expires. Any desire to go to another team that aims higher?

Frolov: We haven’t even begun the discussions with the management. And in general, it’s very difficult to predict something in the NHL. It’s a business, and you don’t know what the management will decide. But with each year, I have a growing desire to reach the Stanley Cup playoffs not with anyone, but with the Kings. After all, it’s worth a lot to reach the heights from the pits with your original team in the NHL.

Link 4/23/09

* * *

Q: You have not yet played in the Stanley Cup playoffs, although you personally undoubtedly deserve it. Although this year, Los Angeles is not as much of a bottom-dweller as before.

Frolov: When you play 82 games, it’s really a bummer. Getting to the playoffs is the goal, after all. But you have to work to improve on your mistakes. That’s life, but it’s not the end all be all. What’s the reason for our failures? Maybe that the team is young, among other thing. As for my play, there’s always things to improve upon, score more, pass better. But overall I would give myself a passing grade.

Q: You have one year remaining in your contract with the Kings. Any desire to continue your career on another team, one that has better chances to contend for the Stanley Cup?

Frolov: Actually, it’s the opposite. I want to win the Stanley Cup specifically with Los Angeles. It’s more rewarding to do it with the team where you’ve played for many years.

Link 4/24/09

* * *

Frolov: I was surprised myself with how many people attend Kings games, when I just moved to Los Angeles. I thought that this city and hockey are two polar opposite things. But it turned out that there are great fans here, who really love this game. Especially considering that the team hasn’t made the playoffs in six years. All the while, the stands are almost always full. I think that if we finally make the playoffs and start to play better, the atmosphere will become even greater. Will the arena ever buzz!

Link 3/20/09
and

Quote:
Q: You’ve been playing in Los Angeles for six years, and haven’t played one single playoff game. Are you not sick and tired of such existence? Any desire to move to a strong team?

A: You can’t even imagine how much I want to compete for the Stanley Cup. You cannot respect yourself as a hockey player and feel otherwise. But it would be more fulfilling to get to the playoffs with the Kings. I grew up on this team, I owe it a lot. My contract expires in a year. I would like to remain in Los Angeles to see how in a few years we will become one of the favorites in the Western Conference. We have all the prerequisites in place for that to happen. We just need to get some more experience, develop more chemistry, and everything will be fine.

Q: Recently your former coach Marc Crawford told “Sovietski Sport” that you played the entire last season with a serious abdomen injury. And he considered it as an act of courage. I don’t understand, why not get healthy?

A: I got the injury back last summer, and missed the entire training camp due to it. The doctors couldn’t make a correct diagnosis. They did an x-ray and didn’t find anything. I started to play with pain. When the season was over, I couldn’t go to the World Championship in Quebec. Underwent several check-ups. None of the doctors could say definitively whether I needed the surgery. Finally one doctor in Philadelphia determined that it’s a double hernia. And ordered me to go promptly under the knife. I underwent the surgery in May. Better late than never.

This is from March 25, 2009

Link

Сосите мои яйца!

С любовью,
Рич Хаммонд

so, NO ... unless Fro be lying ... sounds like he wants to STAY and win it with the KINGS.


Last edited by Puck U: 07-17-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:23 PM
  #32
not tellin*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I usually side with the players in these situations. But has anyone considered that maybe Frolov does not want to sign an extension until he sees this team make a legitimate push for the playoffs? Remember he has yet to participate in post season hockey as a member of this team.
of course, that's what i would do.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:23 PM
  #33
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,169
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I usually side with the players in these situations. But has anyone considered that maybe Frolov does not want to sign an extension until he sees this team make a legitimate push for the playoffs? Remember he has yet to participate in post season hockey as a member of this team.
It is possible, I think just everyone assumes he is interested in any reasonable extension given his statements over the last few years about winning with LA.

I think it would be an epic mistake if we were to let Frolov go, he is deserving of the extension and we can afford it. If we throw him away for nothing even though we could have easily signed him for whatever reason, I think there is quite a bit of damage that will be done internally. We shall see...

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:25 PM
  #34
piston
Registered User
 
piston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Denmark
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to piston
This was inevitable when Quincey was dealt. While it looks great from the Kings' point of view, Johnson is getting one heck of an opportunity. He will be in one of the top pairings and play well over 20 minutes a night. Moreover, JJ also gets to be on the top pairing on the power play now given Greene, Scuderi and OD have no skill in that area. If he plays great, he will only be 24 at the end of the contract and in line for a huge pay day- just look at what Campbell, Visnovsky and Boyle are paid for a similar role. Now its up to him to prove he can do it. Great deal for both sides.

piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:27 PM
  #35
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts
 
DapperDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: place
Country: United States
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
Great signing. About the number of years I predicted but the money's a bit less so I'm happy.

They might have to make a few adjustments here or there but resigning Frolov now is very possible and should be at the top of Lombardi's to-do list.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:30 PM
  #36
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,449
vCash: 500
Great signing. Thankfully this will put all those ridiculous rumors to rest.

Here's hoping that JJ's dominate play at the WCs carries over to the start of the year and TM loosens the reins. JJ seems to be a fanatic about representing Team USA, so I expect him to come out of the gates like a bat out of hell to try to lock up a spot on the Olympic team.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:36 PM
  #37
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Beautiful.

Perfect value for what Johnson has done so far, and perfect term to let him prove himself. I'm thrilled!

I predict that Johnson will pull a Brown this year and by December we'll all be saying how Johnson is worth so much more than he's getting paid.

I'm curious how much Purcell will get. I'm going to predict 2 years as well at 900k per.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:37 PM
  #38
KingKopi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, Cali
Country: Armenia
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Im confused. Since he only played 5 games in 06-07, hasnt he only played 2 regular season, from 07-08 n 08-09. doesn't that mean he has yet to play the 3rd year of his entry level contract, and that 2 year contract he just signed an extension? so we actully have him signed for 3 more years? thanks in advance

KingKopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:44 PM
  #39
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopi View Post
Im confused. Since he only played 5 games in 06-07, hasnt he only played 2 regular season, from 07-08 n 08-09. doesn't that mean he has yet to play the 3rd year of his entry level contract, and that 2 year contract he just signed an extension? so we actully have him signed for 3 more years? thanks in advance
Nope, the 5 games in 06-07 wiped a year off his ELC, but did not start the countdown towards arbitration rights. Weird rule, and kind of a loophole of sorts, but that's what it is. Johnson is now signed for the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 seasons and will RFA with arbitration rights in the summer of 2011.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:45 PM
  #40
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It is possible, I think just everyone assumes he is interested in any reasonable extension given his statements over the last few years about winning with LA.

I think it would be an epic mistake if we were to let Frolov go, he is deserving of the extension and we can afford it. If we throw him away for nothing even though we could have easily signed him for whatever reason, I think there is quite a bit of damage that will be done internally. We shall see...
I agree completely....but if Frolov is not signed to an extension before the season starts might not be an indication that Dean is not pushing the issue....it might be more Alex wanting to see results before making that kind of commitment. He could wait until February....see where the Kings stand before he decides if he wants to spend the rest of his career in LA.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:45 PM
  #41
LombardiTool
Registered User
 
LombardiTool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fontana, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I owe CBGB an apology.

I doubted you and I apologize. You had the inside scoop on this deal 2 or 3 days ago and you even had the numbers almost dead on. I will refrain from **** talking until probably the trade deadline. Good job dude.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Sorry Matthew Barry, I doubted you, once again, and you proved me wrong..
Much respect for you two. Many posters wouldnt have the guts to apologize. They'd go on and on about some Lindros story YEARS ago. They have alot of mouth but no backbone. Hats off.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:46 PM
  #42
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
Lame signing. Yes the cap hit is great but this term is utterly useless for the Kings and I highly doubt it is what DL wanted.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:51 PM
  #43
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Nope, the 5 games in 06-07 wiped a year off his ELC, but did not start the countdown towards arbitration rights. Weird rule, and kind of a loophole of sorts, but that's what it is. Johnson is now signed for the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 seasons and will RFA with arbitration rights in the summer of 2011.
The only reason it wiped off a year of his ELC is because he signed it at the age of 20. It would be like if Hickey were able to go back to juniors next year. He would lose a year from his ELC (being 20 year old).....but he would not be an RFA when it expired because he would only have 2 years of professional experience.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:54 PM
  #44
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,169
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I agree completely....but if Frolov is not signed to an extension before the season starts might not be an indication that Dean is not pushing the issue....it might be more Alex wanting to see results before making that kind of commitment. He could wait until February....see where the Kings stand before he decides if he wants to spend the rest of his career in LA.
Perhaps, but I think Frolov has pretty overtly shown his interest in remaining with LA. I wouldn't be furious over losing him because he is my favorite player, but rather because I fully understand what he means to the franchise and what he represents to the youngsters coming up through the system.

Here is a guy that has been patiently producing for us and waiting for us to be a contender for the better part of a decade. Paid all his dues and is homegrown talent. How we treat Frolov symbolizes how we reward such conduct. He is a top 6 winger demanding to remain on the team and win with us -- he himself predicted the Kings will be one of the best in the west within the next couple of seasons.

Are we really going to kick him in the teeth and throw him off the bus right on the cusp of that happening? This guy helped get us here. He deserves to still be here when it happens. All I have to say is that Dean and Hextall had better be taking this very seriously because if they blow this kid off for whatever retarded reason of their own conjuring, then they blow off a whole lot more than just a franchise top 6 winger for which we have no replacement for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Lame signing. Yes the cap hit is great but this term is utterly useless for the Kings and I highly doubt it is what DL wanted.
I suspect DL is happy with this signing. I bet he was offering this or a longer term 5 year or so deal closer to $2 million. Jack is still an RFA at the end, and is given the opportunity to earn his mid-level contract again given the problems he has encountered earning it the first time around... He is also earning his next deal at the same time as Doughty, which I believe gives Dean quite a bit of leverage with Johnson. It is widely believed that Doughty will outperform over Johnson, and if so, Doughty is likely to sign his deal sooner and Dean is likely to want to get him locked up early as well which will be a bench mark for Johnson... Give him an immediate ceiling. We should have both our top defenseman for years to come locked up easily next time around. I like this deal.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:58 PM
  #45
DeeMeck
Registered User
 
DeeMeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,366
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Lame signing. Yes the cap hit is great but this term is utterly useless for the Kings and I highly doubt it is what DL wanted.
As useless as having to trade him? or have him sign in Russia? You don't see many 22 year olds sign ridiculous long-term deals unless they are bonafide superstars.

This gives us a top 4 dman...and plenty of cap space if we decide to make a splash at the trade deadline.

He will be arbitration eligible in 2 years....I hope to see him earn a Matt Greene-like extension by then.

Jack gets 2 years to show he can be a top 4, or maybe even a top 2 dman. the Kings get a contract that gives them alot of flexibility for the next 2 seasons.

If Jack would have gotten a 4 or 5 year deal it would probably would have had to have been in the 3-3.5 million range. That would be bad for the Kings because we don't even really know how good he can be for a full season, and we would have lost some flexibility when it comes to adding pieces at the trade deadline.

I obviously fully agree with the $$$ and length of contract. The ball is in Jack's court now.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 02:59 PM
  #46
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
 
Puck U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Apple Valley, CA.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
{FROLOV} could wait until February....see where the Kings stand before he decides if he wants to spend the rest of his career in LA.
While I understand what you're saying and agree it is POSSIBLE, the quotes from Frolov about wanting to remain and win with the Kings, coupled with the quotes from Hextall saying the Frolov contract talks "wasn't on their front burner", would lead me to believe it's not PROBABLE. IF it takes that long, the delay is on Managements side, not Frolov's.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:00 PM
  #47
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Race City USA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
As useless as having to trade him? or have him sign in Russia? You don't see many 22 year olds sign ridiculous long-term deals unless they are bonafide superstars.

This gives us a top 4 dman...and plenty of cap space if we decide to make a splash at the trade deadline.

He will be arbitration eligible in 2 years....I hope to see him earn a Matt Greene-like extension by then.

Jack gets 2 years to show he can be a top 4, or maybe even a top 2 dman. the Kings get a contract that gives them alot of flexibility for the next 2 seasons.

If Jack would have gotten a 4 or 5 year deal it would probably would have had to have been in the 3-3.5 million range. That would be bad for the Kings because we don't even really know how good he can be for a full season, and we would have lost some flexibility when it comes to adding pieces at the trade deadline.

I obviously fully agree with the $$$ and length of contract. The ball is in Jack's court now.
I agree on all counts.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:05 PM
  #48
Willard
Kings All The Way
 
Willard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Just Off Highway 1
Posts: 2,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Lame signing. Yes the cap hit is great but this term is utterly useless for the Kings and I highly doubt it is what DL wanted.
I don't agree. If it had been any longer he would be a UFA at the end of it. In this case he is still an RFA at the end of it. Better for the Kings.

Plus now JJ is given motivation with a term like this to play like a winner so that it won't be long for him until he is paid like one.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:06 PM
  #49
LA Kings Cup Champs
Registered User
 
LA Kings Cup Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: KINGS of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,558
vCash: 500
Way to go Deano and co.!!!

Here's to icing a real NHL team since the LAPD days.

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:07 PM
  #50
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Wow, you guys ended up getting a good deal here. Well done.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.