HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Johnson Signed [Two Year Deal @ $1.425 Per Season]

Old
07-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
I don't agree. If it had been any longer he would be a UFA at the end of it. In this case he is still an RFA at the end of it. Better for the Kings.

Plus now JJ is given motivation with a term like this to play like a winner so that it won't be long for him until he is paid like one.
Well it could have been as many as 4 years and Jack would still have been an RFA.....but I think Johnson would have wanted more money on a 4 year deal.....This outcome is the best for everyone involved.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Fat Elvis

When JJ and DD are up for renewals in two seasons, Handzues and others will be coming off the books. It shouldn't be a problem moving their money around. Recent draftees should be able to step into those types of roles that Zues and OD have now. McCaully will also be off the books. Smyths contract will be less per season even though his cap hit remains the same. Money should be there to pay JJ and DD and Simmonds and others. DL's plan is working, hope it shows out on the ice and playoffs.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:15 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
I obviously fully agree with the $$$ and length of contract. The ball is in Jack's court now.
With everything that's been said in this thread, I think that this captures exactly what Jack was after. I honestly think he wants a chance to prove himself. He strikes me as a proud guy who knows that the money isn't everything. He'll take a short term hit to shut people up. That's what we want on this team and I hope he earns a solid pay day at the end of the contract so that he's tied up long term with Drew, Koptiar, Brown, and Frolov as the real core of this team for a long time. It's a relief for me because with what he showed at the end of last season I think he'll break out by about the January point this year.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:19 PM
ean

Quote:
I don't agree. If it had been any longer he would be a UFA at the end of it. In this case he is still an RFA at the end of it. Better for the Kings.

Plus now JJ is given motivation with a term like this to play like a winner so that it won't be long for him until he is paid like one.
My mistake, did not know he was going to be an RFA. Personally I'd still give him a bit more to stay longer 4 years @ 2-3 per-but that's just me.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
With everything that's been said in this thread, I think that this captures exactly what Jack was after. I honestly think he wants a chance to prove himself. He strikes me as a proud guy who knows that the money isn't everything. He'll take a short term hit to shut people up. That's what we want on this team and I hope he earns a solid pay day at the end of the contract so that he's tied up long term with Drew, Koptiar, Brown, and Frolov as the real core of this team for a long time. It's a relief for me because with what he showed at the end of last season I think he'll break out by about the January point this year.
Also....do not forget that since it was a 2 year deal that gives both sides a chance to open up discussions for an extension as early as next summer. So this upcoming season could be used by either side as the focal point for the next contract.

Old
07-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Well it could have been as many as 4 years and Jack would still have been an RFA.....but I think Johnson would have wanted more money on a 4 year deal.....This outcome is the best for everyone involved.
You're right, it will be 4 years until he is a 7-year pro.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:21 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Awesome news. Great terms as well.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
You're right, it will be 4 years until he is a 7-year pro.
I think you mean 5 years.....He currently only has 2 years of pro experience.

Old
07-17-2009, 03:30 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
I think you mean 5 years.....He currently only has 2 years of pro experience.
Wouldn't the 5 games he played in 06-07 count as one year? Meaning he currently has 3 years experience?

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Wouldn't the 5 games he played in 06-07 count as one year? Meaning he currently has 3 years experience?
No...a player must play in 10 or more games to get a year of professional experience.

Old
07-17-2009, 03:36 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
I think we just had this scenario with Moller. After 10 games, a pro year is used. I think we could have still sent him back to junior...but we still would have lost one of his 7 years. That is why you always see guys sent back to junior at the 9 game mark.

The rules may be different with Jack though because there are a special set of rules for players playing in major junior.

I am going to assume the 5 games don't count. What team would want to burn a year of a guy's pro status for some meaningless games at the end of the season?

All I remember of Jack's 1st 5 games is his welcome to the NHL hit from Jan Bulis who absolutely destroyed him with a hip check in his 1st game when he attempted to go end to end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWdqXolKNxM

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I think we just had this scenario with Moller. After 10 games, a pro year is used. I think we could have still sent him back to junior...but we still would have lost one of his 7 years. That is why you always see guys sent back to junior at the 9 game mark.

The rules may be different with Jack though because there are a special set of rules for players playing in major junior.

I am going to assume the 5 games don't count. What team would want to burn a year of a guy's pro status for some meaningless games at the end of the season?
Those 5 games were not what burned a year....it was because he was 20 when he signed his deal.....If Lombardi did not want to lose that year he should have signed Johnson after the season was over....but I am guessing that is not want Johnson wanted.

Old
07-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Captain Ron

Now after Johnson's new deal and probably Purcell's (I am guessing less than $1 million) that the Kings have about $5 million left in cap space....I wonder if Dean is still considering trying to pick up another player from a team with cap problems? Boston, Chicago, San Jose and Detroit are all probably going to be looking to shed some salary before the season starts.

Old
07-17-2009, 03:57 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Now after Johnson's new deal and probably Purcell's (I am guessing less than $1 million) that the Kings have about $5 million left in cap space....I wonder if Dean is still considering trying to pick up another player from a team with cap problems? Boston, Chicago, San Jose and Detroit are all probably going to be looking to shed some salary before the season starts.
Sturm or Sharp might be a good addition.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 04:05 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
I honestly think Dean is done unless he sign Gauthier or something...

It is better to pick up rentals at the deadline IMO.

Hypothetically, you can pick up one 5 mil man now and have no cap room...

but with the salary structure of the NHL...you could pick up 2 or maybe even 3 players who make 5 million at the deadline because their cap number is adjusted when they switch teams.

Wasn't there a time when the Ducks had to wait til a certain date to sign Selanne so ...even though he made like 6 million...his cap hit was only 4? It was something like that.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
True.....but where would you put them?

Smyth - Kopitar - Williams
Frolov - Stoll - Brown

Or would you put them on the 3rd line???

Old
07-17-2009, 04:07 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
All I remember of Jack's 1st 5 games is his welcome to the NHL hit from Jan Bulis who absolutely destroyed him with a hip check in his 1st game when he attempted to go end to end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWdqXolKNxM
I actually remember him taking on Shane Doan for running over Garon. Johnson is still the only King that I count on to stick up for his teammates.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Patrick Sharp for 3 years @ $3.9 Mil
or
Marco Strum for 2 years @ $3.5 Mil

What would Dean have to give up ? a 1st and a prospect, maybe more ?
Might be worth it though.

IMO, sign Frolov first, and then see what's left over to work with.

Quote:

Frolov - Stoll - Brown

Frolov / Kopitar / Brown
Smyth / Sharp / Williams
Handzus / Stoll / Simmonds

or

Frolov / Kopitar / Brown
Smyth / Stoll / Williams
Strum / Handzus / Simmonds

F' yheah

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I honestly think Dean is done unless he sign Gauthier or something...

It is better to pick up rentals at the deadline IMO.

Hypothetically, you can pick up one 5 mil man now and have no cap room...

but with the salary structure of the NHL...or you could pick up 2 or maybe even 3 players who make 5 million at the deadline because their cap number is adjusted when they switch teams.
You are right....but you will not be able to get players from cap hell teams at the trade deadline (those players will be long gone by then). Also it would help the Kings to make the playoffs by having another quality player on the roster for 70+ games instead of for just 20 games (when the trade deadline happens). The Kings could already be out of the playoff picture by the trade deadline.

Old
07-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
or

IMO, sign Frolov first, and then see what's left over to work with.
Well Puck U ....do not forget that Frolov's extension will not affect this year's cap. So Dean would be able to trade someone next summer to make room for Frolov's cap hit if he had to.

Old
07-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Well Puck U ....do not forget that Frolov's extension will not affect this year's cap. So Dean would be able to trade someone next summer to make room for Frolov's cap hit if he had to.
True ... see above, IF we can put together 3 lines like that, I think we do some damage come playoffs

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 04:14 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

Frolov - Stoll - Brown

Whatever I say you know Terry Murray would mix and match them differently over the course of the season, but with Sturm I would let him play the LW on the 3rd line. He is a very good skater, good defensively and a threat to score forcing the other team's top line to play some defense.

If it was Sharp, I would hand over the 2nd line center duties to him. He's a better playmaker than Stoll. Stoll moves down to center the third line with Handzus on the LW.

Handzus, Stoll and Simmonds make a pretty wicked shutdown line. Just what you need to line up against Perry, Getzlaf, and Ryan.

Moller goes to Manchester to get some seasoning and playing time with Loktionov.

EDIT: Well there you go, PuckU beat me to it. Great minds...

Old
07-17-2009, 04:18 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
We can't get anyone that has a contract past this year. Anything past this year endangers Frolov/Quick resigning. The Johnson signing helps, but still, we can't afford to add anymore long term contracts.

Even contracts more than 1 year are a problem

Edit - there is no one good available whose contract ends after this year

Last edited by LAX attack*: 07-17-2009 at 04:29 PM.
LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 04:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
or

A Sturm deal has been discussed with Boston fans a few times. It seems that the consensus was a 2nd and a mid-level prospect like Martinez would do the trick.

When it comes to Sharp, I think you are talking about a 1st and a better prospect like Teubert.

Old
07-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Jwm1986

Great move and i think this is good for JJ....Gives him 2 years to show why he deserves the big money

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote