HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Hockey Stores

Old
07-17-2009, 05:24 PM
ArmchairGM

vCash: 500
Hockey Stores

Are there any good hockey stores in the Philadelphia region, especially for goalie equipment? Somewhere that has all the major brands and equipment.

Thanks

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 05:46 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

the Philadelphia region is awfully huge where are you specifically? The skate zones have great shops... I live on the main line and shop at Max's Hockey Shed mostly.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 05:52 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
the Philadelphia region is awfully huge where are you specifically? The skate zones have great shops... I live on the main line and shop at Max's Hockey Shed mostly.
I live in the same area and go to the Shed, but Max's selection of goalie equipment is not very good.

Id be willing to drive a couple hours just to find a place with all the high end pads. RBK, Vaughn, ETC.

I have seen pictures of places in Canada with hundreds of pads, are there any places like that here?

Old
07-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Jester

No idea what it's like for buying goalie equipment...but I almost always buy online because it's cheaper. Found stuff I liked and just stuck with it.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 05:58 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No idea what it's like for buying goalie equipment...but I almost always buy online because it's cheaper. Found stuff I liked and just stuck with it.
The problem is goalie equipment is very subjective. For the most part a skate is a skate, but goalie pads can vary widely. I will probably end up going with the same brand in the future but I have some worries with their new pad.

By the way, does anyone use GP 9990 Sher-wood pads?

Old
07-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Try these...

www.goaliemonkey.com

www.thehockeyshop.com

www.hockeygeeks.com

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 06:04 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I know all the websites, its just the subjective nature of goalie pads that worry me. By the way, the goalie store boards is great if you looking for equipment.

Old
07-17-2009, 07:07 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I usually go to the Pro Shop at Iceworks, Iceline, or one of the Skate Zones. I'll find something I like and order it online for like 20 bucks cheaper.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:23 PM
DinkusMaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
I live in the same area and go to the Shed, but Max's selection of goalie equipment is not very good.

Id be willing to drive a couple hours just to find a place with all the high end pads. RBK, Vaughn, ETC.

I have seen pictures of places in Canada with hundreds of pads, are there any places like that here?
You're not going to find anything like Goalie Monkey, Goalie Crease, Peranis, or the Hockey Shop here in PA. Those places carry that much gear because they are all internet driven sales. Places around here can't afford to do that. The reason is if someone is spending $1200+ on pro gear they're going to get exactly what they want in terms of color/looks. So most mom n pop stores have stopped carrying pro gear because alls it does is sit on the shelves until they're forced to sell if for a reduced price. Most of the stores around here only carry kids stuff because it's easier to move since you can't get it in custom colors. Hell I've got more gear in my house then most of what these stores carry. Max's tends to carry some Vaughn, Brians, and Bauer. Skate Zone carries mostly Bauer. Iceline I don't think has had any new gear in there since the 90s. Not sure about the other rinks since I don't frequent them enough. I've heard Hockey Heaven in Colmar, PA has more then most stores but I've never been there. You could call them and ask, but ordering from Max's might be your best bet. That's where I got my stuff for years. I do some work for the Goalie Crease in Toronto though so I might be able to answer some questions.

DinkusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 07:57 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkusMaximus View Post
You're not going to find anything like Goalie Monkey, Goalie Crease, Peranis, or the Hockey Shop here in PA. Those places carry that much gear because they are all internet driven sales. Places around here can't afford to do that. The reason is if someone is spending $1200+ on pro gear they're going to get exactly what they want in terms of color/looks. So most mom n pop stores have stopped carrying pro gear because alls it does is sit on the shelves until they're forced to sell if for a reduced price. Most of the stores around here only carry kids stuff because it's easier to move since you can't get it in custom colors. Hell I've got more gear in my house then most of what these stores carry. Max's tends to carry some Vaughn, Brians, and Bauer. Skate Zone carries mostly Bauer. Iceline I don't think has had any new gear in there since the 90s. Not sure about the other rinks since I don't frequent them enough. I've heard Hockey Heaven in Colmar, PA has more then most stores but I've never been there. You could call them and ask, but ordering from Max's might be your best bet. That's where I got my stuff for years. I do some work for the Goalie Crease in Toronto though so I might be able to answer some questions.
Thanks

Do you know anything about the GP9990?

Old
07-17-2009, 08:38 PM
DinkusMaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Thanks

Do you know anything about the GP9990?
I know a "little bit" about them. The only Sherwood gear I've ever used on the ice though was my C10s. What are you looking to find out?

Old
07-17-2009, 08:46 PM
flyersguy33*

Well you could always drive out to Pittsburgh and go to Perani's or drive up to Canada and go to Simmons. I have been out to Perani's and they have a lot of pads.

Been playing goalie since I was about 8 and have had all different pads. Worst pads I ever bought were the CCM Heaton 10's. Used them for one year in Midgets and they were just brutal. Then I moved to the Velocitys and loved them. Used them all the way through high school and then my first 2 years of college. Then last year the ACHA thought it would be cool to make all goalies buy 11'' wide pads. Knowing I only had two years left and needed all new equipment I didn't want to spend $2000 bucks on Velocity's, so I ordered from Simmons. I got the new Ultra Light 5's, and they are pretty much just like the Velocity's. Used them this year and had 0 problems. For about $1200 I got blocker glove and pads. Wouldn't even have been able to get a pair of Velocity's for that price.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 08:57 PM
DinkusMaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
Well you could always drive out to Pittsburgh and go to Perani's or drive up to Canada and go to Simmons. I have been out to Perani's and they have a lot of pads.

Been playing goalie since I was about 8 and have had all different pads. Worst pads I ever bought were the CCM Heaton 10's. Used them for one year in Midgets and they were just brutal. Then I moved to the Velocitys and loved them. Used them all the way through high school and then my first 2 years of college. Then last year the ACHA thought it would be cool to make all goalies buy 11'' wide pads. Knowing I only had two years left and needed all new equipment I didn't want to spend $2000 bucks on Velocity's, so I ordered from Simmons. I got the new Ultra Light 5's, and they are pretty much just like the Velocity's. Used them this year and had 0 problems. For about $1200 I got blocker glove and pads. Wouldn't even have been able to get a pair of Velocity's for that price.
H10s at more for old schoolers. I know some guys that couldn't play without em. As for the Simmons, Vaughns will hold up better and I'm not one for supporting a company who takes other peoples gear, steal their designs, uses cheaper materials to make them with, and then in turn sells them as their own. Not to mention blatantly rips off Vaughns Price graphics. Poor poor business practice and poor ethics. I can't support a company like that no matter how strapped for cash I might be.

Old
07-17-2009, 09:15 PM
flyersguy33*

Whatever. Im not going to pay $2000 for a set of pads when I could pay $1200 for it.

Old
07-17-2009, 09:30 PM
DinkusMaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
Whatever. Im not going to pay $2000 for a set of pads when I could pay $1200 for it.
That's fine. If you don't want to pay the people who actually put the time and money into developing gear to perform and protect you while you play the game you love that's fine. If you want to support thieves it's you're choice. That's just your principles. People buy TVs off the back of a trucks and bootleg movies off guys on the street all the time. That doesn't mean it's right and we all agree with it.

Old
07-17-2009, 09:48 PM
flyersguy33*

Thats like saying everyone is stealing of Easton when they first came out with the Synergy. All of the other companies copied off them with the composite one piece technology.

Old
07-17-2009, 09:52 PM
DinkusMaximus

How's this not stealing?

Old
07-17-2009, 10:43 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
I know a "little bit" about them. The only Sherwood gear I've ever used on the ice though was my C10s. What are you looking to find out?
I need new pads and am looking at the 9990. My current pads are the 11 inch 9980 model. I've heard that the knee landings are ridiculously hard. I have knee problems so this worries me. Is it worth avoiding this pad because of this problem?

Old
07-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Jester

Quote:

How's this not stealing?
Here in America, we call it capitalism.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 03:09 AM
Dirk Starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkusMaximus
I actually live like 5 minutes away from Hockey Heaven, and they do have a lot of equipment there. I can go and check it out tomorrow if you'd like. I kinda want to go over there and see what's new there anyways. I haven't gotten anything new in a while. I play at the rink that's kinda, sorta across the street.

Anyways, what are you looking for in particular? The Sherwood 9990, in 11 inches? I'll be lurking on the boards for a little while longer, but I'll check back tomorrow anyways.

Dirk Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 11:11 AM
kicksave27

The pro shot in hollydel used to have alot of goalie gear. I generally go with the companies dink suggests though.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 11:20 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

How's this not stealing?
"Theirs goes: 'Ding ding ding dingy ding-ding.' Ours goes: 'Ding ding ding ding dingy ding-ding.'"

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 12:54 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Starlight View Post
I actually live like 5 minutes away from Hockey Heaven, and they do have a lot of equipment there. I can go and check it out tomorrow if you'd like. I kinda want to go over there and see what's new there anyways. I haven't gotten anything new in a while. I play at the rink that's kinda, sorta across the street.

Anyways, what are you looking for in particular? The Sherwood 9990, in 11 inches? I'll be lurking on the boards for a little while longer, but I'll check back tomorrow anyways.
Yeah, the Sher-Wood 9990 in 11 inches. I have heard that the knee stacks are ridiculously hard, a since I have knee problems its a concern. I was wondering if its enough of a valid concern to avoid these pads.

Thanks

Old
07-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Hess14

http://frankshockeyheaven.com/Store.php .. This place is in colmar, i believe they have a decent selection in goalie gear, but never being a goalie i never looked at what they have, but anyway its a nice shop that has huge selections of everything else.

as it was already mentioned, haha my falut. it is a real nice shop though.

Hess14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Danglous

I get my stuff at Delval (Delaware Valley Hockey Supply) in Bristol, but I think they have two other locations. The one in Bristol just expanded, but Im not sure if they carry a good amount of goalie pads, because I usually just go there to get new blades for my stick or small things.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote