HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top six forwards

Old
07-18-2009, 04:02 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
From what I saw from the prospects camp. To be honest I would love to see Tyrell get a shot on the line with Vinny. He has the tools and the speed, he reminds me a lot of Marty which we all know the chemistry there. Could be a perfect fit.

If anything give him a 8 or 9 game shot ( if he performs well in camp) and see if anythings there. If not then you send him back down to develop some more.
Tyrell looks good but hes not ready yet.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 04:09 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Tyrell looks good but hes not ready yet.

Ready for what exactly?

Hes ready for his chance. Whether or not hes ready to take advantage of that chance is another story. But I definitely feel like hes ready for his chance to play on a scoring line and see what he can do. Worst case is he doesnt perform and he goes back for another year of seasoning.

Personally I think hes ready to be that guy though.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Ready for what exactly?

Hes ready for his chance. Whether or not hes ready to take advantage of that chance is another story. But I definitely feel like hes ready for his chance to play on a scoring line and see what he can do. Worst case is he doesnt perform and he goes back for another year of seasoning.
Personally I think hes ready to be that guy though.
...And we're left with a huge whole to fill.

I agree, hes not ready for that.

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 06:12 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

I don't think he's ready to jump right into a scoring line. He could make one of the lower lines, because I see him really coming to play at camp, but it might be better for him to play on one of Norfolk's top lines instead.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 06:31 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
...And we're left with a huge whole to fill.

I agree, hes not ready for that.
Why are we left with a huge whole to fill? It isnt as if we would be trading away Marty to fit him on the team. We need a top 6 player, if Tyrell is ready for that now then great he can have a shot at it at least. If he isnt good enough stick him in the bottom 6, plug someone else in. Or let him get a year in the AHL and he can play on Vinnys wing next season.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 06:33 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I don't think he's ready to jump right into a scoring line. He could make one of the lower lines, because I see him really coming to play at camp, but it might be better for him to play on one of Norfolk's top lines instead.
Problem with Tyrell is this: he doesn't have the size to get into the corners and battle on the bottom lines, and I don't think hes completely ready to be a top six guy, either.

I'd prefer to start him in the A and let him get pro experience, because we don't exactly have a stellar track record when it comes to developing forwards.

Old
07-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Problem with Tyrell is this: he doesn't have the size to get into the corners and battle on the bottom lines
He and Tyler Kennedy are the same size and I think Kennedy is one of the better 3rd liners in the league. I think Tyrell could do ok in that role if he's got the right mindset. Considering his first shift with Canada he went out and laid a big hit on Hedman, I think he's got that. I'd rather start him with Norfolk. I like Tyrell, but he's getting overrated big time. I just don't see a guy who's coming off major knee surgery who was projected to be a 2nd/3rd line tweener and wasn't exactly a lock to make team Canada being able to earn a spot on a line with Lecavalier in his first pro training camp. Stranger things have happened, but if he does do that I think this team might have some serious concerns up front.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 08:07 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Why are we left with a huge whole to fill? It isnt as if we would be trading away Marty to fit him on the team. We need a top 6 player, if Tyrell is ready for that now then great he can have a shot at it at least. If he isnt good enough stick him in the bottom 6, plug someone else in. Or let him get a year in the AHL and he can play on Vinnys wing next season.
I must concur completely. I'm still for giving Downie a shot at the second line. And if we really think he's not ready for that, I bet we can find a scoring winger later next month for relatively cheap.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Because if we go into the season with Tyrell on the top line, that means we didnt go out and get a top winger. And if Tyrell is turns out to not be ready for that spot, then that means we still dont have anybody to play next to Vinny. Thats why there would be a hole.

Old
07-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I must concur completely. I'm still for giving Downie a shot at the second line. And if we really think he's not ready for that, I bet we can find a scoring winger later next month for relatively cheap.
Why should we go into the season plugging in unproven prospects to play on our 1st line? Its not like either of them are of elite pedigree like Stamkos.

Old
07-18-2009, 10:10 PM
gobolt7

In my opinion, if we go into opening night with Downie or Tyrell playing on a wing next to either Stamkos or Vinny, then we are doing them a great disservice. We have already been down this road with Brad Richards, and we saw how that ended.

I can see already how this is going to play out. Put one of those guys on Vinny's line, and when Vinny does not start putting up the numbers we are hoping for and starts looking disinterested because of his linemates, or lack there of, some of you will be ready to run him right out of town.

gobolt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 10:12 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
In my opinion, if we go into opening night with Downie or Tyrell playing on a wing next to either Stamkos or Vinny, then we are doing them a great disservice. We have already been down this road with Brad Richards, and we saw how that ended.

I can see already how this is going to play out. Put one of those guys on Vinny's line, and when Vinny does not start putting up the numbers we are hoping for and starts looking disinterested because of his linemates, or lack there of, some of you will be ready to run him right out of town.
Downie and Tyrell have more talent than anybody Richards played with here.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 10:15 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
Why should we go into the season plugging in unproven prospects to play on our 1st line? Its not like either of them are of elite pedigree like Stamkos.
Because we don't have another option, I don't think management wants to spend more this off season, so adding a player isn't likely and we will likely have to depend on prospects.

Is there any way Halpern could play wing? He might fit in well there and we could have a third line of Downy-Chewy-Tyrell. Which seems like a very young third line, but does everything a third line should, score some goals, good play in both ends, and doesn't shy from physical play.

STRANGE VICTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 10:20 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
This, and the guy that isn't going to be Downie or Tyrell is going to have a lot of talent as well, likely being either Malone or St. Louis, it's not like they become the third line center, we just have 5 top 6 players and a couple of guys that are close, and unfortunately one of our top centers likely isn't going to get a set of top 6 talent wingers. But it still won't be terrible, because there is still plenty of talent if everyone is healthy, it just isn't ideal. Look at the guys Crosby and Malkin were stuck with at the beginning of last year, their top 6 outside of those two was nothing special at all.

STRANGE VICTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 10:21 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
That does not make them top 6 forwards, much like Richards didnt have top 6 forwards.

gobolt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 12:53 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I honestly think Downie might be the perfect complement for a Marty-Stammer line. I really hope we don't try to force Tyrell to be a big scorer though, he's not yet ready for that. Management still has to do something with Radim and our extra defensemen. I still expect a trade to net us another winger.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 04:17 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I just love how people think Tyrell is ready to be a top 3 guy, but Downie isn't ready to be a top 6 guy.

Old
07-19-2009, 09:12 AM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Quote:
I just love how people think Tyrell is ready to be a top 3 guy, but Downie isn't ready to be a top 6 guy.
The torn ACL makes him tougher.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Shadeslayer813

If they plan on Bringing Downie up to the NHL they need to keep him there, he was always called up and sent back down with the flyers and it was starting to hurt his development.

As for Tyrell, start him off in the AHL. He will be on a top line and get WAY more playing time and thats what he needs. No need to rush the guy.

Shadeslayer813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 01:30 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeslayer813 View Post
If they plan on Bringing Downie up to the NHL they need to keep him there, he was always called up and sent back down with the flyers and it was starting to hurt his development.

As for Tyrell, start him off in the AHL. He will be on a top line and get WAY more playing time and thats what he needs. No need to rush the guy.
Downie is done with the AHL. He would have finished last season with us on the Bolts too, if we didn't have to showcase Roberts for the trade deadline, and then he had that 20 game suspension. I think everyone expects him to make the team, it's just a matter of where to put him.

Old
07-20-2009, 05:24 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sp...the-lightning/
Quote:
Nobody is officially talking about Tampa Bay’s interest in courting right wing Alex Tanguay, but there is interest from the Lightning’s side.
Quote:
The biggest question mark regards how much of a salary that Tanguay is seeking. Some report suggest he is looking for a contract that pays him $5 million per season...
Quote:
But if Tanguay really wants that pay day, one would think it best to sign a one-year contract to help redeem himself after an injury-plagued season with the Canadiens last season (a shoulder injury, by the way, which happened when Evgeny Artyukhin checked Tanguay into the boards during a game in Tampa) and try his luck on the open market next season provided he enjoys a productive year. Playing alongside Lecavalier and presumably a resurrected Vinny Prospal certainly couldn’t hurt that cause.
Quote:
If Tanguay would be willing to accept a contract in the range of $2.5 million, then the Lightning would love to add him to a revamped roster...
Quote:
If the Lightning can convince Tanguay it would be in his best interest to try and build his resume back up by playing on a line with Lecavalier for a season (or two) it would be the icing on the cake of what has already been a successful summer.

Old
07-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

I think a Tanguay signing would def be the icing on the cake.

Prospal Vinny Tanguay

Malone Stamkos St Louis

Downie Halpern R2

4th line battle it out in camp

Mezaros Ranger

Ohlund Hedman

Walker Foster

Lashoff

Mike Smith
Nittymakki

A playoff race is def not out of the question with that lineup. Tanguay signing here would be very smart for his career. He would prolly have his point total up and would look a million times better next to Vinny. Plus it would give us a chance to keep Stamkos and Marty together. Malone played well on that line last year too. He could also play with Vinny too if we wanted to have Prospal move down to line two with Stamkos. Either way is a win to me. I figure our defense and goalie play should be better this year, especcially if we can keep them healthy. Cant be any worse. That third line could be an excellent grinder line and Halpern has shown that he can score. Heres to hoping we can add a top six forward to play with Vinny.

Drouin2Stamkos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzBalla View Post
I think a Tanguay signing would def be the icing on the cake.

Prospal Vinny Tanguay

Malone Stamkos St Louis

Downie Halpern R2

4th line battle it out in camp

Mezaros Ranger

Ohlund Hedman

Walker Foster

Lashoff

Mike Smith
Nittymakki

A playoff race is def not out of the question with that lineup. Tanguay signing here would be very smart for his career. He would prolly have his point total up and would look a million times better next to Vinny. Plus it would give us a chance to keep Stamkos and Marty together. Malone played well on that line last year too. He could also play with Vinny too if we wanted to have Prospal move down to line two with Stamkos. Either way is a win to me. I figure our defense and goalie play should be better this year, especcially if we can keep them healthy. Cant be any worse. That third line could be an excellent grinder line and Halpern has shown that he can score. Heres to hoping we can add a top six forward to play with Vinny.

Smaby>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Walker
Smaby>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Foster

thats really the only thing I see different than you on. Maybe have the Ohlund and Hedman as the 1st and Mez and Ranger as the second.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:37 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Smaby>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Walker
Smaby>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Foster

thats really the only thing I see different than you on. Maybe have the Ohlund and Hedman as the 1st and Mez and Ranger as the second.
Smaby will be a 3-4 this year with a rotating partner, but many times I think they'll pair him with Walker.

I think he was one of the main reasons Walker was brought in.

Old
07-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Smaby will be a 3-4 this year with a rotating partner, but many times I think they'll pair him with Walker.

I think he was one of the main reasons Walker was brought in.
Yeah, just irratates me when people leave him out of our top 6. Its like if a D-man cant score 20 goals on here he isn't worth a damn in the NHL. Regardless he was the only one on our D that brought any type of toughness, soild defensively and actually looks decent with the puck. Maybe we should drop him and go after Malik again, then our defense would be set!

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote