HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Flames Claim Nigel Dawes off Waivers / Orts signs with Sharks

Old
07-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stump View Post
Incorrect. 09/10 budget number is not officially yet, but belief is that it went UP this coming year.
Sorry if you didn't understand. I wasn't talking about the League in general, I was talking about Phoenix's situation. Their total salary will not be much more than the League's minimum (whatever that will be this season), due to the ownership mess and the fact that the NHL has been throwing money at them so they can continue to operate in Phoenix.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 06:25 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

BlackMagic!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Eddie Bronze

The reason Phoenix put Dawes on waivers was because they thought he would slip through without anyone taking him and then they could use it against him in arbitration. Another in a long line of mistakes by Coyotes management.

Eddie Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 11:35 PM
ruckus*

Who the **** is Nigel Dawes?

Oh, that guy who makes himself invisible?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Who the **** is Nigel Dawes?

Oh, that guy who makes himself invisible?

Another player the Rangers mishandled and basically gave away just to lose in the first round. If properly handled, he'll score 20 in Calgary. But hey. We got Ales Kotalik for the next 3 yrs!

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 12:35 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
Another player the Rangers mishandled and basically gave away just to lose in the first round. If properly handled, he'll score 20 in Calgary. But hey. We got Ales Kotalik for the next 3 yrs!
I said nothin about Kotalik.

Black Magic is a fitting nickname for Dawes.

He's always invisible.

Unless Brodeur is in net or it's a shootout I feel no sorrow in losing Dawes.

I wish him well.

Hope he has a good time hanging out along the boards getting his small frame drilled in the WC.

Old
07-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I said nothin about Kotalik.

Black Magic is a fitting nickname for Dawes.

He's always invisible.

Unless Brodeur is in net or it's a shootout I feel no sorrow in losing Dawes.

I wish him well.

Hope he has a good time hanging out along the boards getting his small frame drilled in the WC.
The guy didn't get a fair shake here. Though he disappointed last year, he was never really given ideal ice-time on a line to succeed. In developing a young player, you have to be willing to let them sink or swim. That's not the Ranger philosophy. Prucha got screwed over too. Watch him return to being a productive player in Phoenix. Korpikoski got one year here and we never really got to see him play consistent minutes.

Just remember, they got Derek Morris and lost in Rd.1. Almost as silly as giving away a 2nd rd pick for Antropov when there was no chance he'd re-up.

You didn't have to mention Kotalik cause I did. He has been a 43-pt guy the past 2 yrs and seen production slip and is now 30. And we locked him up for 3 yrs at 3 M per. For what? So he can score 20-25 goals and disappear for long stretches? May as well have saved cap space. If it were 1 yr, I'd have no issue. Three years for an inconsistent player at that price makes no sense.

They may as well have just waited out Zherdev, who has more talent and is six years younger. At most, it's 500-725 K difference.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 08:13 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
The guy didn't get a fair shake here. Though he disappointed last year, he was never really given ideal ice-time on a line to succeed. In developing a young player, you have to be willing to let them sink or swim. That's not the Ranger philosophy. Prucha got screwed over too. Watch him return to being a productive player in Phoenix. Korpikoski got one year here and we never really got to see him play consistent minutes.

Just remember, they got Derek Morris and lost in Rd.1. Almost as silly as giving away a 2nd rd pick for Antropov when there was no chance he'd re-up.

You didn't have to mention Kotalik cause I did. He has been a 43-pt guy the past 2 yrs and seen production slip and is now 30. And we locked him up for 3 yrs at 3 M per. For what? So he can score 20-25 goals and disappear for long stretches? May as well have saved cap space. If it were 1 yr, I'd have no issue. Three years for an inconsistent player at that price makes no sense.

They may as well have just waited out Zherdev, who has more talent and is six years younger. At most, it's 500-725 K difference.

I'll be shocked if Dawes ever scores 20 in this league. Hell, he better if he wants to stick around cause he brings absolutely nothing else to the table. I could see him as a 12-15 guy in the right situation. I'm not sure that situation is Calgary. But then again I'm not sure that situation exists anywhere. I hope he does well but I just don't think losing Nigel Dawes is a big deal.

Old
07-19-2009, 04:45 AM
Chimp

Nigel Dawes is as one dimensional as a player can get. He has a good wrist shot. That's it. At best, he's average at everything else. He has no consistency and is a liability defensively. Who can forget the countless of times he completely lost his position and guy in the defensive zone and practically gave a goal away. Or his dumb cross passes in key situations that resulted in lethal oddman rushes.

He's not good enough to be a top six player; good wrist shot, mediocre passer, average vision, bad consistency and he certainly doesn't have the qualities a bottom six player needs; questionable intensity, is far from physical, average skating and yeah, I've mentioned the "bad in the defensive zone" part. That means he has no role or space in a competitive NHL team.

To summarize, I'm not surprised Maloney dumped him and I certainly don't miss him here. To those who say "but come on, he played on our top six?" I say: Yes he did and he certainly didn't help us being anything more than one of the absolute worst offensive teams in the league. That tells us alot more of how bad forward depth we had and exactly how brutal our offense was, than what a good player Nigel Dawes is.

As for the "Dawes had a spot in our lineup and we made the playoffs, he should have a spot in PHX?" argument: We were on our way to miss the playoffs, playing pathetic hockey in front of a more and more irritated star goalie who more often and often diplomatically said in small portions to the press: "This team sucks." Because honestly, the way we played hockey, we didn't deserve to be in the playoffs. It was embarrassing to watch.

After some major overhaul, where among one of the moves was trading Prucha and Dawes (where neither were top six players) and Torts was brought in, we started becoming a legit NHL team again. We made the playoffs *cough*Lundqvist*cough* despite having "quality players" like Dawes in our top six lineup for a majority of the season, not because of.

Last edited by Chimp: 07-19-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote