HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Conditioning Camp dates and roster are set

Old
07-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Darjeeling

vCash: 500
More news from the conditioning camp?
How is Paradis doing? Does he look like a first pick?
And Dumoulin?

Darjeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 07:56 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Hope you guys don't mind me borrowing some reports from another board:

Day 1:
Quote:
Zac Dalpe has moved out of gangly teen stage and has filled out a little (maybe 8-10 pounds) and looks really confident out there. His neck and shoulders have filled in nicely, and his skin has cleared. he looks manly.

VERY impressed by the Doumoulin kid- What an excellent skater. He's got that stride, and looks very effortless out there, except you can "see" how hard he works, because he has the Aaron Ward flushed cheek syndrome. He spent alot of time getting encouragement from Tom Rowe and looked so poised, you'd never guess he's only 17. extremely impressed by him.

Our first rounder, Phillipe Paradis, was also impressive, nice hands and he appears very confident out there- I liked how he was out there trying "moves" lots of stuff between the D man's skates and getting shots off. Of course he won't have that much time and space/room when he gets to this level, but I liked the creativity. He has trunks for legs too. Seems real sturdy in the lower body.

Mike Murphy our goalie, looked less deer in the headlights -like as he did last year when he showed up. He has the technique thing going, and he looks very confident. It's interesting how guys can change from a year. I'd say he and Dalpe look tons different from last year.

Kai Kantola and Bob McKenzie's son Mike, looked like they were really working hard to impress. I kept my eyes really focused on the top picks, but always watched them- McKenzie, seems smaller than he is listed, but really working hard to impress. I noticed he chatted alot with RF. and Kantola still seems very thin to me. Brandon Sutter lanky, but also a nice skater.

The others, I didn't spend enough time focusing on them today- however, I did like that both Matt Pistilli and Matt Kennedy both thought to throw a nice subtle hit at guys in the mini scrimage. Got everyone's attention, lol. I'll miss tommorow's skate so I can go pick up hub at the airport, but will get to see them on Friday so I'm looking forward to focusing
Day 3:
Quote:
No Bob McKenzie today, however, his son sure was working to open eyes out there. He isn't 'huge' but he sure is stocky, and seemed to really take to RF and Tom Rowe and their attention; RF pointing out things, and the pats on the back from Rowe...

I continue to be impressed with young Dalpe, he really has taken that next step from last year, it's clear he has grown into the body and continues to grow into it, but more importantly, he has this air of confidence, (and lots of encouraging words from Francis and Barasso today) and the guy has a nice shot. Very nice, and that wasn't noticeable last year. What sticks out with him for me, is that his all around demeanor and the way he's working out there, gets your attention. He's clearly trying to impress, as they all are, but he's really standing out.

Our 09 top picks, Paradis and Dumoulin, are continuing to really work hard. Paradis drew a few oohs and ahhhhs in drills with his puckhandling abilities, there was a one on one drill in the middle of the session, where he took the puck and wove it through Matt Pastilli's feet and then around and then again through the feet, very impressive. Dumoulin's skating really is something to behold. Very fun to watch, and he's got a fellow New Englander in Tom Rowe who he was chatting away with.

I liked Luke's column today, where he talked about the Canes not having to rush these kids, but you can clearly see promise in all of them. Our 09 picks are very impressive. I particularly like the scowl that our 4th rounder Matt Kennedy has. He's going to be one of those grit type guys. The other FA invitee, Beau Schmitz, has had some moments too. Kai Kantola looks comfortable out there, and seemed particularly chatty with RF off to the side after the primary practice.

For some reason I thought Mike Murphy was bigger- not sure what it is about that guy, but he looks bigger than he is. He spent a good part of the practice with Barasso, doing those lateral movement drills that Barasso does with Cam, and playing the puck type things. Last year, I remember how in "awe" Murphy was of TB. Now he's settled down, and he's taking all of the tutoring and putting it in play.
Those were both posted by SoCalcaniac on LGC, hopefully that gives a pretty good picture on both days since I was unfortunately unable to make it to give my own impressions.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 08:42 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/1610785.html

From the sound of Luke's article the decision has already been made that Sutter will be in Albany for the upcoming season. I will be happy if this is actually the case.

Maybe a forward wont be dealt after the Special K signing
Best decision they could have made if that is the case. Sutter would've had to waste another year as a sporadically-played fourth-liner if the Hurricanes had decided to keep him up. A full season as the #1 center in Albany should do wonders for his development and he should be prepared to make a significant impact in the NHL the season after next.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 08:50 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

I'd say #2 center but thinking about it, it's probably closer to 1A-1B there next year then true 1-2.

Bowman-Boychuk-Ryan
Terry-Sutter-Samson

That's a young top 6 (aside from Ryan) but there is some crazy potential there. If Boychuk, Bowman and Terry can carry their game over to the AHL level Albany will do some serious damage this season.

Old
07-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Darjeeling

Thanks Dave G. Can't wait to see Paradis & Dumoulin at the big camp this fall.

Old
07-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I doubt that Boychuk plays center at the professional level. Everything about him screams left wing for me. Plus, I have a feeling that Boychuk and Sutter, by virtue of being good friends, will likely get every chance they can to play together considering they came up through Hockey Canada on the same line and played together that way at the Super Series as well as the WJC. For these young kids, it's all about comfort.

Ryan will likely be on the professional squad unless we have a mystery man step forward and take the 4th line spot or a veteran camp invite to swoop in. I suspect we may see Bayda back on a two way contract as it appears unlikely that he'll get a one way deal.

I agree with the notion that Sutter may not be on the top line, but he'll probably be on the second with Boychuk. I think Bowman and Samson will probably play between a veteran signing on the first line.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Positional wise, it may be tough to get Boychuk & Sutter to play together, as much as I think it would be a good combination.

Terry and Bowman are LW and will likely be in the top 6, so if Boychuk is playing LW, that knocks one of Bowman or Terry to the 3rd line LW spot. Wouldn't it?

Boychuk could potentially be a good centerman, much like Derek Roy for a brief example. Roy is a whopping 5'9 188... Boychuk is a tad taller and has room to fill a bit. He's listed at 5'10 180. Both have a good skillset and a bit of a scrappy game, aren't afraid to get in there and get dirty. Great work ethic, speed and mobility and can dangle a puck. Both carry good defensive games and a creative offensive game as they see the ice quite well. Boychuk could take the same or similar path. That would be tremendous, as it would give us a real solid centerman behind Staal. Derek Roy to me is probably one of the closest examples in the game I could pick for Boychuk and where he could pan out. They have some interesting similarities. All in all, Boychuk may make a better centerman as he is quite small and would probably lose a lot of battles along the boards. Add to that the fact a good centerman in this league can be harder to come by in comparison to wingers. It may be smarter to see how can developes at center. If he ends up being better suited as a winger, than so be it.

I think we could see, (Not sure if I missed someone.. there is quite a few down there..)

Bowman - Boychuk - Ryan (If he is here, if not, the depth is there to shuffle)
Terry - Sutter - Samson
Dwyer - Chaput - Pistilli
Angelidis/Goertzen - Blanchard - Dodge

Reed/Hughes

(Without Ryan)

Bowman - Boychuk - Samson
Terry - Sutter - Dwyer
Angelidis - Chaput - Pitsilli
Goertzen - Blanchard - Dodge

Carson
Borer
McBain
Rodney
Harrison
Bellemore

Peters
Manzato
Murphy

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-18-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 02:26 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I think we could see, (Not sure if I missed someone.. there is quite a few down there..)

Bowman - Boychuk - Ryan (If he is here, if not, the depth is there to shuffle)
Terry - Sutter - Samson
Dwyer - Chaput - Pistilli
Angelidis/Goertzen - Blanchard - Dodge

Reed/Hughes

(Without Ryan)

Bowman - Boychuk - Samson
Terry - Sutter - Dwyer
Angelidis - Chaput - Pitsilli
Goertzen - Blanchard - Dodge

Carson
Borer
McBain
Rodney
Harrison
Bellemore

Peters
Manzato
Murphy
I think you may have missed Fitzgerald on D. Also...I lost track of Joe Jensen...was he qualified? Or was he not qualifiable?

ratsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 02:27 PM
karparules

Hello everyone. I went out to the RecZone yesterday (Friday) to check out the rookie camp and thought I'd post a few observations.

I didn't get out there until about 5:05, but overall I was very impressed. It seems clear that with these guys and the prospects that are already earmarked for Albany that we have a nice set of young players in our system for maybe the first time since well before the lockout.
Others have said the same but Dalpe was clearly a standout. Not only does he show a good amount of skill and speed, but has a lot of hustle in his game. He doesn't look like a guy taking anything for granted. He has quick hands and outperformed the rest of the players in an exercise where they had to pass the puck to themselves by hopping it over a stick and then get a shot off. Most of the guys were able to negotiate the stick at some point, but only Dalpe seemed to be able to do it with enough ease to regularly get off a solid shot. Paradis probably came in second on this. Also, Dalpe has clearly filled out quite a bit and has the physique of a professional hockey player.

Paradis also looked pretty good to me, but clearly needs some more seasoning. The talent level is obvious, as is his strong build. He looks more like an NHLer than quite a few guys already in the league. Duomoulin also showed some great promise and looks big and sturdy.

I was also impressed with this Pistilli kid. If I remember correctly, he went undrafted and we signed him as a free agent. I think he had pretty good numbers in junior as well. I'm not sure if he has NHL talent, but he should at the very least develop into a solid scorer at the AHL level.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to the goaltenders, but I'll try to watch Murphy more when I go today.

Also, someone said that Robert Kron was helping with the drills. I looked for him and think I saw him out there, but if it is him, he looks quite different without a helmet on and has shaved off his once-substantial locks. I always liked him as a Cane though he could be frustrating with his super skating skills and lack of finish.

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 02:32 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Thanks for the update Karpa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsgirl View Post
I think you may have missed Fitzgerald on D. Also...I lost track of Joe Jensen...was he qualified? Or was he not qualifiable?
Jensen I think was a group VI case. So I don't know as we'll see him back in Albany next season.

And yes, I expect Fitzgerald to be in the AHL this season, with one of Carson, Rodney and Harrison on the Canes.

Last edited by DaveG: 07-18-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old
07-18-2009, 04:50 PM
jbk ltd
twitter @jbk_ltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by karparules View Post
Also, someone said that Robert Kron was helping with the drills. I looked for him and think I saw him out there, but if it is him, he looks quite different without a helmet on and has shaved off his once-substantial locks. I always liked him as a Cane though he could be frustrating with his super skating skills and lack of finish.
Karpa, I wasn't there yesterday (or today obviously) so I'm not sure if Kron was actually there that day but he was there on Thursday (he was not there on Wednesday). I took a picture of him with Jeff Daniels. Is this who you saw?

jbk ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 04:50 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Like anyone say, Zach Boychuk and Sutter have a good chemistry, they are very good friends, can play good two-way game.. I see very good tandem between this two young players.

But problems is our LW depth - Bowman, Terry and Boychuk. All players are excellent skaters and prospect so i don't think they'll have problem to make Albany top6.

For me, maybe it's not too expected (i mean Terry is naturally LW but i see him like good at C... this guy can do everything, he's very good. Boychuk can play on C but he's much effective on wing.)

Bowman- Terry- Dwyer
Boychuk- Sutter- Samson

But we have too many options so i'm satisfied with this.

Sutter can play on RW, i think. Boychuk can play on C, Dwyer can play on LW though..

Go, Rats.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I would love for Albany to have use of Michael Ryan. I really think he could install himself as a first line center and really make good things happen with these young guys.

Another player who shouldn't be dismissed as a possible option down the middle is the oft injured Bobby Hughes. If he can stay healthy, he can play in the Top 6. He's that talented, but he's also rarely healthy enough to show it.

Bowman - Ryan - Samson
Boychuk - Sutter - Dwyer
Terry - Hughes - Goertzen

I could certainly live with that Top 9. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 05:11 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I would love for Albany to have use of Michael Ryan. I really think he could install himself as a first line center and really make good things happen with these young guys.

Another player who shouldn't be dismissed as a possible option down the middle is the oft injured Bobby Hughes. If he can stay healthy, he can play in the Top 6. He's that talented, but he's also rarely healthy enough to show it.

Bowman - Ryan - Samson
Boychuk - Sutter - Dwyer
Terry - Hughes - Goertzen

I could certainly live with that Top 9. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
Should not forget Chaput. He had an off year due to injury. But when he played, he was pretty good!

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Darjeeling

Matthew Pistilli could put good numbers in Albany. He was a real sniper in Junior and a killer on PP.

Old
07-19-2009, 08:42 AM
karparules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamie View Post
Karpa, I wasn't there yesterday (or today obviously) so I'm not sure if Kron was actually there that day but he was there on Thursday (he was not there on Wednesday). I took a picture of him with Jeff Daniels. Is this who you saw?

Hey, thanks! Your picture is obviously Robert Kron! No, the guy I saw wasn't him. I thought maybe he had shaved off the Euro-locks, but he's still got it! It's good to see ole Kron again.

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote