HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Player Inquiry Thread (ALL other player-related threads will be deleted)

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2009, 12:26 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
If it makes you feel any better, some dumb*** redneck just completely smashed up my car in the Winn Dixie (grocery store) parking lot and then took off without leaving any contact or insurance information. Can you settle for that?
In a weird, synergistic way, I think the Stars went through a similar experience with Avery last season.

Old
07-09-2009, 01:43 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
I'm not saying I personally condone the things he does (getting in faces and then running away from fights) or did (sloppy seconds joke was neither well executed or funny, though I did enjoy the aftermath), but he does certainly livens things up. Hate him all you want, but you can't say Avery is boring. I certainly don't want an NHL full of annoying pests like him, but I think a couple makes the sport a bit more interesting.

If it makes you feel any better, some dumb*** redneck just completely smashed up my car in the Winn Dixie (grocery store) parking lot and then took off without leaving any contact or insurance information. Can you settle for that?
I think it would be a very bad thing to bring arguably the most hated guy in the NHL to a team already getting such negative press right now. I don't believe Phoenicians will embrace him quite the same that someone from New York would. Besides as I said earlier in the thread, Avery took some cheap shots in the media at Doan. I can't see Maloney bringing him in being our captain and everything. For a team that is going through money problems, I would be pissed if they went and got him at that salary. He's making the kind of money we want Tanguay at. We don't need another 3rd liner.

Sorry to hear about your car.

Old
07-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I think it would be a very bad thing to bring arguably the most hated guy in the NHL to a team already getting such negative press right now. I don't believe Phoenicians will embrace him quite the same that someone from New York would. Besides as I said earlier in the thread, Avery took some cheap shots in the media at Doan. I can't see Maloney bringing him in being our captain and everything. For a team that is going through money problems, I would be pissed if they went and got him at that salary. He's making the kind of money we want Tanguay at. We don't need another 3rd liner.
I agree
Quote:
I personally love Avery and the personality he brings to the game, but he's not a good fit here. Plus, I think the Rangers are happy with him.
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your car.
Thanks

Old
07-09-2009, 02:50 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
No, that's way more than I wished on you. My black magic powers are apparently way too strong. I just wanted slight and temporary discomfort, not some huge pain in the ass of a headache. I vow, from this day forward, I will only use my powers for good. You have my sincere apologies for what I've brought down upon you, sir.

BTW, would you say that a Winn Dixie is anything like a Piggly Wiggly? Oh, and what second grader is naming all of the grocery stores south of the mason dixon line?

Old
07-09-2009, 03:38 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
No, that's way more than I wished on you. My black magic powers are apparently way too strong. I just wanted slight and temporary discomfort, not some huge pain in the ass of a headache. I vow, from this day forward, I will only use my powers for good. You have my sincere apologies for what I've brought down upon you, sir.

BTW, would you say that a Winn Dixie is anything like a Piggly Wiggly? Oh, and what second grader is naming all of the grocery stores south of the mason dixon line?
I would say they are pretty much the same thing. Both have that "southeastern" feel.

Old
07-09-2009, 05:32 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
I agree
Yeah I guess I was just stating the obvious. He has a horrible contract, even for what he brings and he's the scum of the league. For me, I would puke seeing Avery skating for this team. The guy is a coward.

Old
07-13-2009, 12:00 AM
braino

Alex Bourret question

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is posted anywhere else but wondering if anyone has information on Alex Bourret for next season? My understanding is that he is a UFA (No qualifying offer) however if anyone has more information on him that would be great.

Also what happened last year? Why were his stats so low?

Old
07-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

He never got a call up, from what i have seen of him he seems to have potential talent..but he needs a right fit

Old
07-13-2009, 12:45 AM

I thought he had potential based on the talent I saw in the rookie and training camps, but I guess I am not the first or last person to say that about him. I would have been curious to see him on a game by game basis to see what kind of effort he gave on a consistent basis. He didn't really seem to have any bright spots in the season last year that I recall, but I only saw boxscores from SA.

Old
07-14-2009, 09:45 AM
mission1

I have heard that Alex has had some injuries (head) over the past 2 years. I wish him all the best and hope he gets the opportunity to excel...

Old
07-18-2009, 05:54 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Ed Jovanovski & The Rangers

This is more an inquiry than anything else.

I haven't really seen much of Ed Jovanovski so I want to ask the 'Yotes fans here what they think of him. Is he a viable top pair defenseman? What are his strengths and weaknesses at this time in his career?

I'm asking because since there is such a trading love affair between Sather and Maloney and rumors that he'd be willing to go to New York. A trade of him to the Rangers might be possible.

Purely speculation. Just wanted your guys opinion on the matter.

Old
07-18-2009, 06:07 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Ever since JoVo signed here their has been a barrage of rumors linked to a trade to NYC. Why? IDK. Frankly I'm not sure where he plugs in on Broadway.

Old
07-18-2009, 06:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManicRanger View Post
This is more an inquiry than anything else.

I haven't really seen much of Ed Jovanovski so I want to ask the 'Yotes fans here what they think of him. Is he a viable top pair defenseman? What are his strengths and weaknesses at this time in his career?

I'm asking because since there is such a trading love affair between Sather and Maloney and rumors that he'd be willing to go to New York. A trade of him to the Rangers might be possible.

Purely speculation. Just wanted your guys opinion on the matter.
Jovo signed here and immediately had the worst season of his career. He was bothered by nagging groin injuries, was out of the line-up often, and even when dressed, was totally ineffective. In the off-season, he had surgery to correct the problem. The next year, he had the best season of his entire career, and only missed two games(one due to a suspension, I believe, and one due to some unrelated kidney problem, or something random, like that). The next year, which was this past season, he played all 82 games. The surgery on the groin/abdomin was apparently a success, considering it hasn't acted up in two years. He definitely took a step backwards, offensively, last season, though, despite his health. Really the whole team did. The previous year he had great success running the powerplay, as did Peter Mueller. Both players really struggled, in that regard, this past season. I think a lot of it had to do with Olli Jokinen being such a bad fit. That and our power play, as a whole, just being plain miserable, all year. I believe it was the league's second worst, in fact. I'm also pretty sure that we ranked second to last in league scoring, as well. So, while Jovo had his struggles putting up points, the rest of the team had an equally hard time of it. The encouraging thing about it is that I've never seen Jovo be more solid, at any point in his career. He's always been plain bad defensively and was terribly inconsistant with his physical presence, throughout his career. Last season was different. He still had some of his typical blunders, and still tends to pass the puck into the shins of the defender directly in front of him, but in general, all-around, he's never been more complete on such a consistant basis. Every night he threw his weight around, and was far from a liability defensively. Two years ago he had a career year, offensively. Last year, I would say that he had a career year, defensively. Hopefully, next year, we can see him put it all together.

I definitely consider him a first pairing defender. Not a true number one, but a very good number two. His cap-hit is 6.5 million but he's only making six million in each of the next two years, before his contract expires. If he's overpaid, it's only be half a million, or so. He has that reputation, though. As a guy on a terrible contract. It's all hot air. He's a good defenseman. Honestly, I think I'm a little to blame for the horrible reputation he has on these boards. I hated the signing from day one. After that first nightmare season, I was a full blown Jovo hater. I sported anti-Jovanovski avatars and started threads out on the main board just bashing the **** out of him. Then he comes out the next year, and totally makes me look like an idiot. You know how things go, though. The retraction to the front page farce always ends up on page sixteen. All people seem to remember of Jovo are the raised eyebrows the day he signed his deal, and that injury riddled first year. The last two seasons, are just completely ignored by all, it seems. Out on the main boards, they'll say he has negative trade value, that he's always injured, that he's a liability, and that he can't even put up points, anymore. They'll say that he has one of the worst contracts in the league, and is barely a top four defenseman, despite being paid like a number one guy. It's all ********. The truth of the matter is that nobody watches Coyotes hockey. Nobody knows a thing about us. I don't blame people for not watching. I mean, why subject yourself to it, if you don't have to? It just pisses me off when depsite their ignorance on our team, they still want to chime in and play the part of expert. So, in my opinion, you've definitely done the right thing by starting this thread in here, and not out there.

Old
07-18-2009, 06:52 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Jovo signed here and immediately had the worst season of his career. He was bothered by nagging groin injuries, was out of the line-up often, and even when dressed, was totally ineffective. In the off-season, he had surgery to correct the problem. The next year, he had the best season of his entire career, and only missed two games(one due to a suspension, I believe, and one due to some unrelated kidney problem, or something random, like that). The next year, which was this past season, he played all 82 games. The surgery on the groin/abdomin was apparently a success, considering it hasn't acted up in two years. He definitely took a step backwards, offensively, last season, though, despite his health. Really the whole team did. The previous year he had great success running the powerplay, as did Peter Mueller. Both players really struggled, in that regard, this past season. I think a lot of it had to do with Olli Jokinen being such a bad fit. That and our power play, as a whole, just being plain miserable, all year. I believe it was the league's second worst, in fact. I'm also pretty sure that we ranked second to last in league scoring, as well. So, while Jovo had his struggles putting up points, the rest of the team had an equally hard time of it. The encouraging thing about it is that I've never seen Jovo be more solid, at any point in his career. He's always been plain bad defensively and was terribly inconsistant with his physical presence, throughout his career. Last season was different. He still had some of his typical blunders, and still tends to pass the puck into the shins of the defender directly in front of him, but in general, all-around, he's never been more complete on such a consistant basis. Every night he threw his weight around, and was far from a liability defensively. Two years ago he had a career year, offensively. Last year, I would say that he had a career year, defensively. Hopefully, next year, we can see him put it all together.

I definitely consider him a first pairing defender. Not a true number one, but a very good number two. His cap-hit is 6.5 million but he's only making six million in each of the next two years, before his contract expires. If he's overpaid, it's only be half a million, or so. He has that reputation, though. As a guy on a terrible contract. It's all hot air. He's a good defenseman. Honestly, I think I'm a little to blame for the horrible reputation he has on these boards. I hated the signing from day one. After that first nightmare season, I was a full blown Jovo hater. I sported anti-Jovanovski avatars and started threads out on the main board just bashing the **** out of him. Then he comes out the next year, and totally makes me look like an idiot. You know how things go, though. The retraction to the front page farce always ends up on page sixteen. All people seem to remember of Jovo are the raised eyebrows the day he signed his deal, and that injury riddled first year. The last two seasons, are just completely ignored by all, it seems. Out on the main boards, they'll say he has negative trade value, that he's always injured, that he's a liability, and that he can't even put up points, anymore. They'll say that he has one of the worst contracts in the league, and is barely a top four defenseman, despite being paid like a number one guy. It's all ********. The truth of the matter is that nobody watches Coyotes hockey. Nobody knows a thing about us. I don't blame people for not watching. I mean, why subject yourself to it, if you don't have to? It just pisses me off when depsite their ignorance on our team, they still want to chime in and play the part of expert. So, in my opinion, you've definitely done the right thing by starting this thread in here, and not out there.
thanks for just a great answer.. i've never really gotten a chance to ever see Jovo play and was curious as to what kind of impact he can have on a team.

Old
07-18-2009, 07:10 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
thanks for just a great answer..
No problem. Keep in mind, not all Coyotes fans see it the same way I do.

Old
07-18-2009, 08:16 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
thanks for just a great answer.. i've never really gotten a chance to ever see Jovo play and was curious as to what kind of impact he can have on a team.
I'd concur with everything RT pointed out. His first year here was an unmitigated disaster because he was one of about 7 vets brought in who were supposed to make us tougher and less likely to get pushed around. The D that year was Jovo, Morris, Ballard, Seidenberg, Michalek, Boynton and Yandle. And Laraque was brough in as the enforcer.

That team was such a bust it was dismantled at the trade deadline, and I think Jovo took the most blame because he was the high-profile off-season signing, and it's hard for people still to get past it.

I think he's still definitely a top-2 pairing d-man but would be difficult for us to replace.

Old
07-18-2009, 09:04 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I will say RT hot it spot on, I would like to add that JoVo seems to be a slow starter in finding his rhythm. the last two seasons he just looked out of place during the first month and a half, he then picks it up and many nights is the bast d-man on this team. I just don't know what about him takes 6-8 weeks to get going, but once he does he has a motor that wont quit. That last month of last seasons pathetic swan dive, he clearly looked like the only D-man that gave a darn most nights. He played hard right up until the end of the season, especial when their wasn't anything to play for. Some Yotes fan still like to bash JoVo-cough, and when he's off, he is way off those nights. But all in all I feel he is playing up to his contract.

Old
07-18-2009, 10:46 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Assuming if things get very nasty between John T and Sean Avery would he be a good fit on the team and a good tool for marketing the Coyotes in AZ?

Right now anything is possible with Don maloney being a trading partner with the NY Rangers and would only have to pay what the Rangers are paying for Avery after they received him from waivers by Dallas.

I say Avery would be great in bring in the press for this team, something we need more of with the Coyotes in Arizona.

Boy would those match up's betwwen him and Dion P in Calgary be great.
absolutely no shot in hell. torts and avery get along. avery has already stated numerous times that torts is the best coach hes had. sean is not going to screw things up this time. he nows there are no pastures greener than the big apple. hes a ranger for the rest of his contract, maybe his career

Old
07-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Coyote_Fan

I like Jovo. He's not the greatest, but he's still probably the best d-man weve had since Repo. Not that that's saying alot. And with the stupid contracts geting thrown around each offseason he becomes more and more of a deal.

Old
07-19-2009, 09:21 AM
CanyonofBlueshirts

i wonder what kind of trade package it would take to bring Jovo to New York?

Old
07-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Kaizen

Start the bidding.

Old
07-19-2009, 11:49 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Drury for Jovo + Fedoruk?

Old
07-19-2009, 02:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Drury for Jovo + Fedoruk?
And our defense automatically goes from "decent" or even "solid" to "awful" and possibly even "league's worst". Drury isn't what we need, anyway, in my opinion. Plus, the Rangers already moved Gomez for a winger and a D. If they move Drury, their top two centermen are Dubinsky and Anisimov. That can't do that.

Last edited by rt: 07-19-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old
07-19-2009, 02:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I don't know there is a package that makes sense. Picks and prospects won't do it, and we can't replace Jovo with Rozsival and still expect to even contend for a playoff spot. Not in my opinion, anyway. Obviously we'd have no interest in Redden, and Staal clearly isn't going anywhere.

Old
07-19-2009, 04:55 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
I don't know there is a package that makes sense. Picks and prospects won't do it, and we can't replace Jovo with Rozsival and still expect to even contend for a playoff spot. Not in my opinion, anyway. Obviously we'd have no interest in Redden, and Staal clearly isn't going anywhere.
i think Rozsival would have to be in the deal for it to work for the Rangers cap. Rozy wouldn't fully replace Jovo, but he puts up solid numbers. The Rangers wouldnt be willing to lose a big prospect for him, maybe a Corey Potter or Michael Sauer?

Closed Thread