HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If I was GM...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2009, 11:51 AM
  #26
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
But they have Chris Drury...
It's just weird...during the whole year, Rangers were looking for a scoring winger. Now they have a scoring winger, but they're now looking for a center...

I don't see Dubinsky, Drury or Betts being a suitable center for Marian Gaborik, a guy they just threw a huge contract at. They've got Grachev, but I think he's more of a winger...they've also got Anisimov, but asking him to be a #1 center at this point in his career might be too much to ask.

So the Rangers will have to liquidate more assets to get that player they will eventually need to maximse their return on Gaborik.

I'm telling you guys...right now, the jokes on Gainey, everyone thinks Sather's lucked out by finding someone to 'eat' Gomez' contract. But we'll see how it plays out during the year...I think Gainey will get the last laugh at the end of the day...then again, I am a Habs fan lol

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 12:07 PM
  #27
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
NYR fans would have traded him for a 6th pick
Lots of Habs fans would put Lats on waivers or trade the K brothers for a bag of pucks.

That doesn't make them NHL GMs.

Fans are notoriously atrocious at evaluating player trade values.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 12:30 PM
  #28
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 500
What I find hilarious is that the same people who criticized habs players last season are criticizing Gainey this season because we gave up those players.

ie: "kovalev sucks, he's a floater."
3 months later: "what you got rid of kovalev???"

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 01:08 PM
  #29
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,384
vCash: 500
Not 20 mins after I make a post here about the Rangers fans wanting a center to play with Gaborik, a thread on the trade board pops up with the following comments.

The Rangers need a Fast, Playmaking Center who can hold onto the puck in the offensive zone long enough for Gaborik to find an open space. Obviously that is pretty specific skill set.
They need..
-Good Skating ability with a high top-speed
-Good vision to dish the puck in tight quarters
-Good passing ability to make that pass
-Stick-handling skills to hold onto the puck while Gaborik gets open.


lol

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 01:13 PM
  #30
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
It's just weird...during the whole year, Rangers were looking for a scoring winger. Now they have a scoring winger, but they're now looking for a center...

I don't see Dubinsky, Drury or Betts being a suitable center for Marian Gaborik, a guy they just threw a huge contract at. They've got Grachev, but I think he's more of a winger...they've also got Anisimov, but asking him to be a #1 center at this point in his career might be too much to ask.

So the Rangers will have to liquidate more assets to get that player they will eventually need to maximse their return on Gaborik.

I'm telling you guys...right now, the jokes on Gainey, everyone thinks Sather's lucked out by finding someone to 'eat' Gomez' contract. But we'll see how it plays out during the year...I think Gainey will get the last laugh at the end of the day...then again, I am a Habs fan lol
If Gaborik don't play all the season because of injury the Rangers won't make the playoff IMO. a lot of their fan think Higgins is a 1st line player

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 01:27 PM
  #31
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
If Gaborik don't play all the season because of injury the Rangers won't make the playoff IMO. a lot of their fan think Higgins is a 1st line player
I'm not really concerned with whether or not they'll make the playoffs...I was just saying that when this trade was made alot of people who were even somewhat positive about the trade from a Habs standpoing indicated that it was at best a lateral move....well I disagreed

If it was a lateral move for anyone it was one for the New York Rangers...

They just filled a need, by creating another hole elsewhere...before July 1st, the Rangers were looking for a scoring winger, well they got 2 scoring winger, but now they're looking for a playmaking center...that's as lateral as it gets

Meanwhile, the Habs were looking for a legit #1 center...now some people think that Gomez is not a #1 center, I personally do, but either way...the Habs needed an upgrade at center and they were able to trade for it without creating a hole elsewhere in their lineup. Gainey traded Higgins, a 2nd/3rd line winger something the Habs in abundance along with a very good prospect for a player they needed and who helps improve the current team.

Is it a risk? Sure...but it's definatley an upgrade.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 01:42 PM
  #32
mastodon
 
mastodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Not 20 mins after I make a post here about the Rangers fans wanting a center to play with Gaborik, a thread on the trade board pops up with the following comments.

The Rangers need a Fast, Playmaking Center who can hold onto the puck in the offensive zone long enough for Gaborik to find an open space. Obviously that is pretty specific skill set.
They need..
-Good Skating ability with a high top-speed
-Good vision to dish the puck in tight quarters
-Good passing ability to make that pass
-Stick-handling skills to hold onto the puck while Gaborik gets open.


lol
Haha, yeah I remember soon after the trade happened there were even some Rangers fans thinking like that.

mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 01:47 PM
  #33
NYRKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I'm not really concerned with whether or not they'll make the playoffs...I was just saying that when this trade was made alot of people who were even somewhat positive about the trade from a Habs standpoing indicated that it was at best a lateral move....well I disagreed

If it was a lateral move for anyone it was one for the New York Rangers...

They just filled a need, by creating another hole elsewhere...before July 1st, the Rangers were looking for a scoring winger, well they got 2 scoring winger, but now they're looking for a playmaking center...that's as lateral as it gets

Meanwhile, the Habs were looking for a legit #1 center...now some people think that Gomez is not a #1 center, I personally do, but either way...the Habs needed an upgrade at center and they were able to trade for it without creating a hole elsewhere in their lineup. Gainey traded Higgins, a 2nd/3rd line winger something the Habs in abundance along with a very good prospect for a player they needed and who helps improve the current team.

Is it a risk? Sure...but it's definatley an upgrade.
This was a great trade for both organizations. No matter what is said about Gomez's abilities and Higgins and Mcdonaghs potential both teams make this trade any day. From the Rangers standpoint Gomez didn't work here. It was a bad signing for us and we are pressed against the cap. I still think with the right players around him a team can win the cup with him as a #1 center. So yea, I think it was an upgrade for Montreal, but in the end I don't care if Gomez scores 80 points because it wasn't happening in New York and I'm sure as hell glad we got Gaborik instead.

It would have been interesting for Montreal to have pulled in Bouwmeester, meanwhile the Cammelleri deal was one of the best during the offseason.

NYRKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 01:58 PM
  #34
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKing View Post
This was a great trade for both organizations. No matter what is said about Gomez's abilities and Higgins and Mcdonaghs potential both teams make this trade any day. From the Rangers standpoint Gomez didn't work here. It was a bad signing for us and we are pressed against the cap. I still think with the right players around him a team can win the cup with him as a #1 center. So yea, I think it was an upgrade for Montreal, but in the end I don't care if Gomez scores 80 points because it wasn't happening in New York and I'm sure as hell glad we got Gaborik instead.

It would have been interesting for Montreal to have pulled in Bouwmeester, meanwhile the Cammelleri deal was one of the best during the offseason.
Well the Rangers FAILED big time in surrounding Gomez with the type of talent he needed to be successful. His 'best' wingers in NY were two washed up players in Naslun & Shannahan, and a disinterested Jaromir Jagr. It wasn't that it was a bad signing, it's just that Sather failed to do anything to insulate his big signing. If you're going to throw 50M+ at a playmaking center, find him some scoring wingers at least.

Is the trade a win-win for both organizations? Maybe, we'll have to see...but I just think from the Rangers standpoint, they filled one need, by creating another...so in that sense, where's the progress??

Had they been able to keep Gomez & somehow trade Drury, then I would agree

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:17 PM
  #35
NYRKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Well the Rangers FAILED big time in surrounding Gomez with the type of talent he needed to be successful. His 'best' wingers in NY were two washed up players in Naslun & Shannahan, and a disinterested Jaromir Jagr. It wasn't that it was a bad signing, it's just that Sather failed to do anything to insulate his big signing. If you're going to throw 50M+ at a playmaking center, find him some scoring wingers at least.

Is the trade a win-win for both organizations? Maybe, we'll have to see...but I just think from the Rangers standpoint, they filled one need, by creating another...so in that sense, where's the progress??

Had they been able to keep Gomez & somehow trade Drury, then I would agree
I disagree that we failed to surround him with talented players. After watching Gomez for these last couple of years I cannot say that he had nothing to do with having trouble meshing with other players. Say what you want about Zherdev because he does run out of interest in some games. But Jagr, Naslund, and Shanahan are accomplished players who played well for us. A lot of the time it was frustrating to watch Gomez fly down the ice and either draw an offside, make a lazy pass, or give up the puck all together.

The progress comes from us moving Gomez. We weren't going to succeed with him there. We absolutely created a need for a center, but I'm excited to see what Dubinsky will do.

Again, I think Cammelleri is still very underrated and I think he will be very happy playing next to Gomez. I think you have to appreciate the aggressiveness of both Gainey and Sather.

NYRKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:03 PM
  #36
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKing View Post
I disagree that we failed to surround him with talented players. After watching Gomez for these last couple of years I cannot say that he had nothing to do with having trouble meshing with other players. Say what you want about Zherdev because he does run out of interest in some games. But Jagr, Naslund, and Shanahan are accomplished players who played well for us. A lot of the time it was frustrating to watch Gomez fly down the ice and either draw an offside, make a lazy pass, or give up the puck all together.

The progress comes from us moving Gomez. We weren't going to succeed with him there. We absolutely created a need for a center, but I'm excited to see what Dubinsky will do.

Again, I think Cammelleri is still very underrated and I think he will be very happy playing next to Gomez. I think you have to appreciate the aggressiveness of both Gainey and Sather.
Come on man...Naslund is retired, Shannahan was purely a PP specialist in NY and Jagr was already thinking about Russia his last year in New York.

I don't understand how you can throw 50M at a playmaking center, and then give him a player who is going to retire at the end of the year one year...and a player who is a PP specialit the other

But like you said, as of today...I think both teams are happy

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:10 PM
  #37
BillyShears
Registered User
 
BillyShears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
That being said, I really didn't like what Gainey did this year. I mean, one could make a very strong case that Gainey improved the team, but it's by no means a LARGE improvement, and there's no real debating that.
Why is there no debating that?

I'll debate your face off.

BillyShears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:12 PM
  #38
BillyShears
Registered User
 
BillyShears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
What I find hilarious is that the same people who criticized habs players last season are criticizing Gainey this season because we gave up those players.

ie: "kovalev sucks, he's a floater."
3 months later: "what you got rid of kovalev???"
It's ridiculous.

"The Habs are soft and will never win with this team!!!111!!!"

So we change half the team

"Why did the Habs get rid of their players??? Now they will never win!!!11!!!!"

BillyShears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:05 PM
  #39
Sandvich
VERY NICE
 
Sandvich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
Your not a GM
You'll never be a GM
Oh wait.. in NHL 10 theres Be A GM !!!!!!!!!!

SO there you go..

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.