HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Purcell and Bagnall Re-Sign; Azevedo Signs

Old
07-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I think this completes all of our 2009 free agent acquisitions/re-signings. Only 6 free agents left: Calder, Armstrong, Gauthier, Dravecky, Murray, and Taylor. Onto the 2010 free agents - FROLOV! DO IT!
I think that Dean might have a trade in the workings.....With teams like Chicago, San Jose and Boston looking to clear some space Dean could pick up another piece for relatively cheap.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:43 PM
no name

Why Bagnall?

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 152
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Why Bagnall?
Depth and to keep the Monarchs competitive. It is nice to see. AEG is throwing money away in Manchester to help the development process. Shows commitment.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Johnny Utah

Is this the first year we have no crap players on our team? No Chartrand's, Tripp's, Modry's, Calder's? Everyone is happy with almost everyone on the team...well....except for Peter Harrold.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
I think this completes all of our 2009 free agent acquisitions/re-signings. Only 6 free agents left: Calder, Armstrong, Gauthier, Dravecky, Murray, and Taylor. Onto the 2010 free agents - FROLOV! DO IT!
I believe he still has Corey Elkins to re-sign as well. He was 24-years old when he signed his contract with the Kings so the term can't be deferred as with an 18 or 19-year old. That would mean his one-year entry-level contract he signed in March should have expired.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I believe Corey Elkins is already signed.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
I believe he still has Corey Elkins to re-sign as well. He was 24-years old when he signed his contract with the Kings so the term can't be deferred as with an 18 or 19-year old. That would mean his one-year entry-level contract he signed in March should have expired.
He is signed this year at a cap hit of $803,100 and an actual salary of $660,000 with the subtraction of bonuses.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=635510

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200....html#comments

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=17

Old
07-20-2009, 03:59 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Could anyone else see the lines REALLY being changed up if Purcell makes the team?

I mean, other than Handzus - Simmonds, there really isn't a solidly defined pair.

What if we run a look like this?

Smyth - Kopi - Purcell
Fro - Moller - Williams
Brown - Stoll - Richardson
Harrold - Handzus - Simmonds

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:01 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Is this the first year we have no crap players on our team? No Chartrand's, Tripp's, Modry's, Calder's? Everyone is happy with almost everyone on the team...well....except for Peter Harrold.
i wont say that there's no crappy players or that everyone is happy but at least the people that are in position to secure jobs aren't having to secure spots that they are underqualified for. the top 6 is filled and probably the top 9 (questions mark on purcell). the 4th line we will have plenty of guys there to fight for the position and the majority of them are young and have the potential to position themselves as NHL players. we still have the zeilers and harrolds and some would say ivanans that we need to position or dump but it's looking a lot better this year than it has in the past, most of that has to do with the top 6 being locked.

Last edited by not tellin*: 07-20-2009 at 04:07 PM.
not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Could anyone else see the lines REALLY being changed up if Purcell makes the team?

I mean, other than Handzus - Simmonds, there really isn't a solidly defined pair.

What if we run a look like this?

Smyth - Kopi - Purcell
Fro - Moller - Williams
Brown - Stoll - Richardson
Harrold - Handzus - Simmonds
Bleh, that looks terrible. I don't think Purcell can dethrone anyone. He will likely be on the third line, since that is the department he has to work on most. Those lines just make me shiver with repulsion lol... Though, it is something I wouldn't be surprised to see from Murray, I bet we see something like that come training camp... Hopefully not the regular season.

Old
07-20-2009, 04:09 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Bleh, that looks terrible. I don't think Purcell can dethrone anyone. He will likely be on the third line, since that is the department he has to work on most. Those lines just make me shiver with repulsion lol... Though, it is something I wouldn't be surprised to see from Murray, I bet we see something like that come training camp... Hopefully not the regular season.
Well if we are really committed to having a defensive Handzus-Simmonds line, that would be it, and we spread out the offense, also solving the problem of 4th line. It provides a spot for Moller as well, it would work better if only we had... better players

Old
07-20-2009, 04:16 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well if we are really committed to having a defensive Handzus-Simmonds line, that would be it, and we spread out the offense, also solving the problem of 4th line. It provides a spot for Moller as well, it would work better if only we had... better players
Your solution to rounding out the only defensive pair in your line-up is Harrold? D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R. Harrold is the antithesis of Handzus and Simmonds when it comes to being strong on the puck and defensively stellar at breaking free from corners. Harrold hustles like hell, and he isn't bad positionally, but he gets knocked off the puck easier than Moller would have as a 15 year in the NHL. Being strong on the puck is the what Handzus and Simmonds work, its why Frolov worked well there. Even Richardson worked well there because he can take a hit and not cough up the puck instantenously. I'm not saying Richardson is great at this, but unlike Harrold, it isn't a glaring weakness.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I believe Corey Elkins is already signed.
Quote:
He is signed this year at a cap hit of $803,100 and an actual salary of $660,000 with the subtraction of bonuses.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=635510

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200....html#comments

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=17
I think the March 31st contract he signed should have expired during the 2008-2009 season since the Kings put him on their 23-man active roster as a healthy scratch since the April 2nd game against Phoenix and he was 24-years old. I don't understand how his contract term would carry over into the 2009-2010 season unless there's some other blurb in the CBA regarding the deferment of terms.

If there's some firm explanation on the how's and why's I'd appreciate it because it doesn't really make sense to me.

Old
07-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
I tend to agree, but that also begs the question--what DO the lines look like if someone comes in and blows the doors off? Let's just say for sake of argument that Moller, Purcell, and like Mikus/Azevedo come in looking like top 6/9ers? Is there a trade? Brown on the 3rd line (I've always said that if Brown ends up on our third line not due to sucking, we're actually in a good situation)? Someone converts to center/wing?

I know we can really only speculate based on what we saw towards the end of last season, but I do really see a lot of competition for only a few spots coming up (a great problem to have...FINALLY!), and I wouldn't be so utterly shocked to see some drastically different lines this season.

...especially with line-change artist Temu

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:25 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
i wont say that there's no crappy players or that everyone is happy but at least the people that are in position to secure jobs aren't having to secure spots that they are underqualified for. the top 6 is filled and probably the top 9 (questions mark on purcell). the 4th line we will have plenty of guys there to fight for the position and the majority of them are young and have the potential to position themselves as NHL players. we still have the zeilers and harrolds and some would say ivanans that we need to position or dump but it's looking a lot better this year than it has in the past, most of that has to do with the top 6 being locked.
The difference to me between Zeiler/Ivanans and Harrold, is that Zeiler and Ivanans have a specific asset they bring to the table. They aren't good players, or well rounded, but Ivanans is a big scary SOB and when he does fight, he can hang with pretty much anyone in the league. Zeiler is the energizer bunny and whether he is hitting the opposition or himself, everyone will notice him, including the opposition, just because of that one time he does connect and put someone in the ER. Harrold on the other hand, while being a little more well rounded than Zeiler or Ivanans, really brings nothing of particular value other than versatility. Versatility at what? Taking up a few different kinds of roster spots?

None of the three are good or great hockey players, but to me Zeiler and Ivanans fill a specific role and at times a need, whereas Harrold is someone who should really just be waiting to step in for injuries when there is not enough time to make a call-up from the minors.

I feel bad for hating Harrold so much, because I see that he works really hard and I respect that and ultimately respect him and what he has achieved for all his unremarkable talents. Its really just a matter of looking forward to the day when we have 12-15 NHL ready forwards who are obvious choices over him.

Maybe its all just Murray's fault.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:38 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I tend to agree, but that also begs the question--what DO the lines look like if someone comes in and blows the doors off? Let's just say for sake of argument that Moller, Purcell, and like Mikus/Azevedo come in looking like top 6/9ers? Is there a trade? Brown on the 3rd line (I've always said that if Brown ends up on our third line not due to sucking, we're actually in a good situation)? Someone converts to center/wing?

I know we can really only speculate based on what we saw towards the end of last season, but I do really see a lot of competition for only a few spots coming up (a great problem to have...FINALLY!), and I wouldn't be so utterly shocked to see some drastically different lines this season.

...especially with line-change artist Temu
Yeah that's my point, I don't see Purcell playing on that Handzus line, and I cant see him on the 4th line, we really have no contingency plan for guys like Mikus and Purcell making the team.

Old
07-20-2009, 04:39 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Purcell's deal is one-way?

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:41 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
The difference to me between Zeiler/Ivanans and Harrold, is that Zeiler and Ivanans have a specific asset they bring to the table. They aren't good players, or well rounded, but Ivanans is a big scary SOB and when he does fight, he can hang with pretty much anyone in the league. Zeiler is the energizer bunny and whether he is hitting the opposition or himself, everyone will notice him, including the opposition, just because of that one time he does connect and put someone in the ER. Harrold on the other hand, while being a little more well rounded than Zeiler or Ivanans, really brings nothing of particular value other than versatility. Versatility at what? Taking up a few different kinds of roster spots?

None of the three are good or great hockey players, but to me Zeiler and Ivanans fill a specific role and at times a need, whereas Harrold is someone who should really just be waiting to step in for injuries when there is not enough time to make a call-up from the minors.

I feel bad for hating Harrold so much, because I see that he works really hard and I respect that and ultimately respect him and what he has achieved for all his unremarkable talents. Its really just a matter of looking forward to the day when we have 12-15 NHL ready forwards who are obvious choices over him.

Maybe its all just Murray's fault.
i can agree with most of what you said. management obviously sees SOMETHING in zeiler and believe he can possibly fill that speedy basher that attempts to wreak some havoc.

as for ivanans i think he does his job well but that it can be done better which is what i believe they are hoping will come from westgarth. ivanans seemed to slow down throughout the year and never really was the instigator that he should be at times, it was more patrolling (which i believe is necessary barring matchups).

as for harrold, i'm with you. i hate to hate on a guy like that who you know is trying and skating his ass off but just doesn't have IT. it's a shame for him but if you want to be a better team you have got to have guys that are much better than him for his spot. it's the same type of sentiment i have for armstrong, i know the dude gave it his all every night but there's no reason for him to be on the second line or the PP. it's not their fault

so while we're getting better up front there's still a few important holes to be filled, my point was really that we have guys coming up that have the potential to potentially fill those holes correctly if we don't have the money to aquire guys who have already established themselves in the league as such.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I think the March 31st contract he signed should have expired during the 2008-2009 season since the Kings put him on their 23-man active roster as a healthy scratch since the April 2nd game against Phoenix and he was 24-years old. I don't understand how his contract term would carry over into the 2009-2010 season unless there's some other blurb in the CBA regarding the deferment of terms.

If there's some firm explanation on the how's and why's I'd appreciate it because it doesn't really make sense to me.
I am still trying to figure that out myself.....If and when I do I will pass along the info.

Old
07-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I am still trying to figure that out myself.....If and when I do I will pass along the info.
I got frustrated with not knowing why so I finally just shot an e-mail to the Kings with the hope that it will be answered in some reasonable fashion. I'm not holding my breath, however...

Old
07-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I got frustrated with not knowing why so I finally just shot an e-mail to the Kings with the hope that it will be answered in some reasonable fashion. I'm not holding my breath, however...
At this point this is what I have come up with.

A 24 year old player must spend "1 year" in the Entry Level System in order to be considered an RFA. So since Elkins did not spend 1 year in the system he must either re-sign his original SPC or it was automatically renewed. Either way he is required to abide by the Entry Level System for that one year.

Old
07-20-2009, 05:24 PM
regulate

Purcell's contract is one year, one way, $600,000. Took less money to guarantee a decent payday. Good signing.

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200...-contract.html

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulate View Post
Purcell's contract is one year, one way, $600,000. Took less money to guarantee a decent payday. Good signing.

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200...-contract.html
So wait I was right that he would take less money for a 1-way deal?

Wow.....I thought I wasn't making any sense.

Old
07-20-2009, 05:34 PM
LAX attack*

JDM brought this up in the main NHL thread - could Azevedo potentially make the Kings? I never even thought of the idea, I thought that management would want to give him another AHL season ( a full one), but then again, I have never actually seen him play

Old
07-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
JDM brought this up in the main NHL thread - could Azevedo potentially make the Kings? I never even thought of the idea, I thought that management would want to give him another AHL season ( a full one), but then again, I have never actually seen him play
Of course he could make the Kings. I do not think he will get any bigger....so going back to the AHL would only be to help him adjust to the pro game. But if he has enough grit and determination then why not give him a chance?