HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chipchura's Future with the Habs...Signs 1 year deal with Habs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2009, 01:42 PM
  #151
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,959
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Chipchura is a very good defensive forward with size. My guess is Jacques Martin will know exactly how to use him.

Rise from the Ashes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 03:14 PM
  #152
KadoCH
Registered User
 
KadoCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vomitsarek View Post
Wow....

You, KadoCH, have truly changed my life. I now look at the world from a different, positive angle. I have entered alcoholics anonymus, reconciled with my long lost 37 year old prostitute daughter and have torn down my Mike McPhee poster and replaced it with Kyle Chipcura's.

Thank you so much. You have no idea what you have done for me. I hope you don't mind, but I have baked you pillsbury chocolate chip cookies and would like to send them to you to show you my appreciation. Maybe you can avoid "spilling the milk" in order to dunk your cookies.

You shouldn't be writing posts on HF, you should be writing new math formulas for M.I.T! All hail the KadoCH!

Sincerely,

Mike "Kado" Vomitsarek
Glad to hear all that but I'll break down what I was trying to say a little better

291 - players drafted in 2004
18 - number Chips was drafted
16 - number of non habs you preferred over Chip

291-18 = 273

16/273 = approx. 1/17 = approx. 5.9%

Therefore Gainey and Timmins had a 5.9% chance of making you happy (in reality it would be like 25% since they probably never condsidered someone in the 7th round etc.. for a first round choice) Either at 5.9% or 25% its still not very good odds.

They went in not even knowing that was how low the odds were all they knew is each players past play, past work ethic, past attitude etc... and then they project how those factors translates into the future so they made a decision based on that. This is the way almost all decisions are made by humans (use the past project the future).

To wrap it up they had to make the decision 5 years ago so coming on here 5 years later saying why didn't they do this or that makes no sense because as I explained above how they made there decision and how likely of a chance it was going to be a bad choice in your eyes. So there is no point crying over something that already happened (no crying over spilt milk) you can say you would of did this or that thats why I included the link to the definition of hindsight bias. It was a hard decision they probably could of made a better one though it wouldn't of been easy but it's made thats all there is to it. You can only use this information in making future decisions because:

YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE PAST PERIOD

Anyway, if Chips can prove himself capable of skating at the NHL level this year I think he could still prove to be the shut down centre of the future with two fast wingers with some offensive upside would be a very good line. Chips has some O talent and it would be wasted with the likes of Stewart and Moen, but with Laps converted to the wing and another 15G-20A 2-way winger they could form a great 3rd line.

KadoCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 04:35 PM
  #153
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
he was better than that in his first season... he did start to struggle a bit, and since the team was absolutely coasting (no injuries and almost every young player playing, as history has shown, above their head), he got sent down.

He got his call up last season just after he came back from a lower body injury (groin i think??), and he clearly wasn't fully recovered yet.

he struggled when he went back down at first (still getting over the injury), but once he got back in his groove, he returned to being the best overall player down in hamilton, helping them finish of the season strong (at leas compated to expectations).

i guess we will all see this year what we have with this player. but i have a feeling you'll be wanting to take a lot of these comments back.
I'll gladly take my comments back if Chipchura proves me wrong by becoming an effective checking skater be it on the wing or up the middle. Don't get me wrong, I'll take being wrong every time if me being wrong makes us a better team.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 04:45 PM
  #154
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,743
vCash: 500
Chipchura will battle, with Metropolit, to be the center of the fourth line.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 04:47 PM
  #155
chris96
Registered User
 
chris96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
I think Chips will have a bigger year than most of us expect.. It think he'll eventually outplay Metro for the 4th line center role

chris96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:32 AM
  #156
Zinger
Registered User
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadoCH View Post
Glad to hear all that but I'll break down what I was trying to say a little better

291 - players drafted in 2004
18 - number Chips was drafted
16 - number of non habs you preferred over Chip

291-18 = 273

16/273 = approx. 1/17 = approx. 5.9%

Therefore Gainey and Timmins had a 5.9% chance of making you happy (in reality it would be like 25% since they probably never condsidered someone in the 7th round etc.. for a first round choice) Either at 5.9% or 25% its still not very good odds.

They went in not even knowing that was how low the odds were all they knew is each players past play, past work ethic, past attitude etc... and then they project how those factors translates into the future so they made a decision based on that. This is the way almost all decisions are made by humans (use the past project the future).

To wrap it up they had to make the decision 5 years ago so coming on here 5 years later saying why didn't they do this or that makes no sense because as I explained above how they made there decision and how likely of a chance it was going to be a bad choice in your eyes. So there is no point crying over something that already happened (no crying over spilt milk) you can say you would of did this or that thats why I included the link to the definition of hindsight bias. It was a hard decision they probably could of made a better one though it wouldn't of been easy but it's made thats all there is to it. You can only use this information in making future decisions because:

YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE PAST PERIOD

Anyway, if Chips can prove himself capable of skating at the NHL level this year I think he could still prove to be the shut down centre of the future with two fast wingers with some offensive upside would be a very good line. Chips has some O talent and it would be wasted with the likes of Stewart and Moen, but with Laps converted to the wing and another 15G-20A 2-way winger they could form a great 3rd line.
buddy,

reason i wrote that sarcastic post was simply that i observed that many players from the same draft had more success than chipchura and in no way was i trying to bash our amateur scouting...i am actually a chipchura fan, that is why I started the thread. I understand and agree with your points, im an accountant and think with similar logic. I think you took my post a BIT too seriously....anyways, solid points and hail the chipper.

Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 03:56 AM
  #157
Rugger14
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSINCE76 View Post
Metropolit has to go he was terrible in the boston series makes a million.....Chipchura if given reg shift as our 4th C he will be great.He was the captain of the gold winning world junior squad for a reason.He hasnt been givin he's shot yet like so many of our prospects in the past.Let him play he is awesome!
We were clearly not watching the same playoff games...Metropolit was a very solid player and he did great things in the playoffs. Id be ready to say that he was one of the best on the ice.

Rugger14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 02:52 PM
  #158
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,516
vCash: 500
Gonna bump the thread.

Why haven't we seen this Kyle Chipchura when he's been in Montreal?
Notice this is the same guy Laraque pounded.




His fight against Stuart

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:22 PM
  #159
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Besides his skating he has to improve on faceoffs. A centre who loses faceoffs in his own zone has to start defending immediately, with no assurance of success.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 03:58 PM
  #160
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Besides his skating he has to improve on faceoffs. A centre who loses faceoffs in his own zone has to start defending immediately, with no assurance of success.
He improved his face-offs in Hamilton for sure. I don't know how he would do in the NHL but I also see no problem with him on the wing.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 05:04 PM
  #161
DumFries
Registered User
 
DumFries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Shawinigan
Country: Canada
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
I see him traded come next year. No way he is going to stay if he doesn't make the big club.

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 07:04 PM
  #162
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,175
vCash: 500
It's either he's getting Metropolis' job or nothing at all. At wing we have

Pacioretty-Gionta
Cammalleri-A.Kost
Latendresse-S.Kost
Moen-Laraque
D'Agostini-Stewart

Let's hope for a big training camp by Chipchura

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 07:33 PM
  #163
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I'll gladly take my comments back if Chipchura proves me wrong by becoming an effective checking skater be it on the wing or up the middle. Don't get me wrong, I'll take being wrong every time if me being wrong makes us a better team.
tell me about it...

I'd gladly eat a lifetimes worth of crow on anything and everything if it means the habs are hoisting the cup.

lately it seems like there is a lot to be critical about, man oh man do i hope i am wrong about ALL of it!

go habs go

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 07:37 PM
  #164
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
I hoping that Chipchura really shows up this fall. As much a i like Metropolit, it would be great if Chips can take over that spot this year and eventually become a great fit on the third line. That said, maybe we got a little unlucky with Chips and a little lucky with Lapierre. I don't think this thread would exist as much if Lapierre was the guy drafted 18th overall, and Chips 61st. We would all be agreeing that Lapierre was doing exactly what we expected and that Chipchura had potential but just didn't have a place on the team. I've said this many times but it needs to be re-iterated: A draft pick after pick 10 or so is just a player with x-amount of potential but nothing set it stone. Nobody in the NHL has a team full of their first rounders playing for them, besides those that had a ridic amount of high picks. That said, maybe a full year with the big boys on that 4th line will bring out the qualities that Gainey and co. loved about him when they drafted him. Only time will tell.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.