HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Purcell and Bagnall Re-Sign; Azevedo Signs

Old
07-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Even though Purcell was given a one-way deal, it doesn't guarantee him a spot on the Kings roster.

To earn a spot in the top six, he has to fight through a group that consists of Kopitar, Frolov, Brown, Smyth, Williams and Stoll. I think any combo of that six will form the top two scoring units.

There is one spot open for contention on the third line, but I think it will ultimately be composed of Handzus with Simmonds and Moller. It is possible for Purcell to win a spot on that line, but I don't see Moller letting that position go easily.

The fourth energy line has many candidates fighting for position. I think Ivanans has the enforcer role pinned but Westgarth will be inserted into the lineup every now and then whenever Ivanans is out. Richardson and Lewis will likely compete for the center spot on the fourth line with Zeiler, Cliche and Clune fighting for the role of agitator.

Harrold will probably most likely be the 7th defenseman but he can also be a spare forward should the Kings choose to carry 13 forwards and 8 defensemen (including Harrold).

This is the year Purcell proves if he can play in the NHL. He needs to adapt to any situation he is put in, if he's on the fourth line he needs to be the player on that line who goes after the puck. If he can't fit in that role then I'm sure Murray or Lombardi will find others who will.

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 07-20-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:04 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

OK let's assume Purcell picks up the slack and impresses at camp. Why not slot him into the top 6 like so:

Smyth - Kopitar - Williams
Frolov - Purcell - Brown
Handzus - Stoll - Simmonds

Purcell is a natural center if I recall correctly. His passing game would nicely complement Frolov's puck possession and goal scoring skills. Brown would be the bulldozer that could also serve as a scoring threat. There would now be little question as to who fits into the 3rd line hole. Moving Handzus to the left is not ideal but he has shown he can manage there. Given a good year, Purcell can really raise his trade value in case Dean chooses not to re-sign him.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:10 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
OK let's assume Purcell picks up the slack and impresses at camp. Why not slot him into the top 6 like so:

Smyth - Kopitar - Williams
Frolov - Purcell - Brown
Handzus - Stoll - Simmonds

Purcell is a natural center if I recall correctly. His passing game would nicely complement Frolov's puck possession and goal scoring skills. Brown would be the bulldozer that could also serve as a scoring threat. There would now be little question as to who fits into the 3rd line hole. Moving Handzus to the left is not ideal but he has shown he can manage there. Given a good year, Purcell can really raise his trade value in case Dean chooses not to re-sign him.
I dont think that we would put Smyth and Williams on the same line, and also, I really dont see Purcell being put at center

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Johnny Utah

Yeah this creates a weird situation....

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Frolov-Stoll-Brown
Purcell-Handzus-Simmonds
Ivanans-Lewis-Clune/Richardson/Westgarth/Zeiler

I have to think Moller goes to Manchester now....Kings still have Richardson, Harrold, Ivanans, and Zeiler...Westgarth signed a 3 year, Clune and Lewis have a chance to make it...No point in putting Moller on the 4th line....That will only hurt him.

By the way, these are the lines for now...Rich Hammond pretty much laid out these lines when asked about them in a open forum after the Smyth trade and he talks to Lombardi all the time...so people putting Williams on the 3rd line or Handzus on the 1st...please stop...Just read into Lombardi's and TM's comments when they say they like pairs like Simmonds-Zeus and Stoll-Brown....and how they needed finishers for Kopitar...It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Stoll-Brown-Calder were a line last year and Zeus-Simmonds rotated with one of Purcell, Moller and Richardson...

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 07-20-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Yeah this creates a weird situation....

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Frolov-Stoll-Brown
Purcell-Handzus-Simmonds
Ivanans-Lewis-Clune/Richardson/Westgarth/Zeiler

I have to think Moller goes to Manchester now....Kings still have Richardson, Harrold, Ivanans, and Zeiler...Westgarth signed a 3 year, Clune and Lewis have a chance to make it...No point in putting Moller on the 4th line....That will only hurt him.

By the way, these are the lines for now...Rich Hammond pretty much laid out these lines when asked about them in a open forum after the Smyth trade and he talks to Lombardi all the time...so people putting Williams on the 3rd line or Handzus on the 1st...please stop...Just read into Lombardi's and TM's comments when they say they like pairs like Simmonds-Zeus and Stoll-Brown....and how they needed finishers for Kopitar...It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Stoll-Brown-Calder were a line last year and Zeus-Simmonds rotated with one of Purcell, Moller and Richardson...
Don't forget that Murray had Frolov on the "3rd" line for much of the season. He liked him in the shutdown role. That would move Purcell to the Stoll line with Brown.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Don't forget that Murray had Frolov on the "3rd" line for much of the season. He liked him in the shutdown role. That would move Purcell to the Stoll line with Brown.
Yeah they will try and balance grit and scoring so rotating guys like Frolov and Purcell won't hurt b/c you still have size and finishing in Brown-Stoll and size with Simmonds-Handzus....But I don't think you will see guys like Smyth, Brown or Simmonds playing on the same line...as well as Purcell, Frolov or Moller...you need a gritty winger to compliment the scoring or smaller winger.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 08:52 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
I dont think that we would put Smyth and Williams on the same line, and also, I really dont see Purcell being put at center
Didn't he center the 4th line for a short stretch last season?

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 09:05 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
If he did I dont remember

Old
07-20-2009, 09:19 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yes, but only for a few games. He centered Harrold and Ivanans I think.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I think that Dean might have a trade in the workings.....With teams like Chicago, San Jose and Boston looking to clear some space Dean could pick up another piece for relatively cheap.
I know it's intriguing, I keep thinking of the various ways Dean could pry away one of Patrick Sharp or Marco Sturm myself.

Purcell could very well be of interest to Chicago also ... young, cheap, fits in with the growing core, add our 2nd or 1st and do they like it enough ?

Sharp would be an upgrade at the #2 center spot, and Sturm would fill the 3rd line LW very nicely giving us 3 VERY SOLID STRONG lines, and baring a Goalie melt-down almost insure us a playoff spot.

I'd love to add Sharp, but we know Deans man crush on Sturm and players coming off knee surgery.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
I know it's intriguing, I keep thinking of the various ways Dean could pry away one of Patrick Sharp or Marco Sturm myself.

Purcell could very well be of interest to Chicago also ... young, cheap, fits in with the growing core, add our 2nd or 1st and do they like it enough ?

Sharp would be an upgrade at the #2 center spot, and Sturm would fill the 3rd line LW very nicely giving us 3 VERY SOLID STRONG lines, and baring a Goalie melt-down almost insure us a playoff spot.

I'd love to add Sharp, but we know Deans man crush on Sturm and players coming off knee surgery.
I would prefer the Sharp scenario.....but would be happy with either one.

Captain Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

I generally don't play into the line junkies, but I would be disappointed if we didn't see Smyth-Stoll-Williams. That line makes way too much sense. Speedy north-south game with lots of net crashing, ugly goals, drawing penalties and goalie interference calls on Smyth

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 12:31 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulate View Post
Purcell's contract is one year, one way, $600,000. Took less money to guarantee a decent payday. Good signing.

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200...-contract.html
I don't get this. Purcell hasn't proved he belongs in the NHL at all, so we re-sign him to a contract that is 1 way? I'm not very good with the rules, but if we send him down, he's subject to waivers right? Why the heck would we do this, didn't we learn from the last waiver incident we had with Ersberg?? (i don't remember if it was Ersberg we had the issue with, but whoever that goalie was...)

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
I don't get this. Purcell hasn't proved he belongs in the NHL at all, so we re-sign him to a contract that is 1 way? I'm not very good with the rules, but if we send him down, he's subject to waivers right? Why the heck would we do this, didn't we learn from the last waiver incident we had with Ersberg?? (i don't remember if it was Ersberg we had the issue with, but whoever that goalie was...)
Purcell plays goal too?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
It was actually Labarbera (hindsight right?). But in regards to Purcell I think he will either stay in the NHL or be traded. He has already proven that he can play well in the AHL.

Old
07-21-2009, 12:35 AM
riznat

Quote:
It was Labarbera and we should have brought his ass through waivers so he would have been picked up and spared us last season.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 12:36 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
The goalie issue you are thinking of is Labarbera having to stay in Manchester the year he was tearing it up there.

I believe Purcell is waiver exempt for around 30 games or until some other circumstance is met (I forget, I'm sure someone can fill in the blank), whichever comes first. The 1-way contract means he gets his $600,000 regardless of where he plays.

Though re-entry waivers might work differently?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
The goalie issue you are thinking of is Labarbera having to stay in Manchester the year he was tearing it up there.

I believe Purcell is waiver exempt for around 30 games or until some other circumstance is met (I forget, I'm sure someone can fill in the blank), whichever comes first. The 1-way contract means he gets his $600,000 regardless of where he plays.

Though re-entry waivers might work differently?
Actually he is only waiver exempt for 10 more games. I am sure if he is waived however that he will be gone. Since he was signed as a free agent it would not be the end of the world....but I am sure that Dean would find a taker before he put Purcell on waivers.

Old
07-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Hollywood

For anyone that believes that the previously annointed "top 6" will all be playing together is foolish. Smyth Kopitar Williams Brown Frolov Stoll will not be on two lines. At some point maybe yes. Murray proved last year he likes to pick names out of a hat to select his lines. It is the only way to explain the amount of changes that were made from shift to shift. I don't expect him to change his methods. I hope I am wrong!

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:21 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Actually he is only waiver exempt for 10 more games. I am sure if he is waived however that he will be gone. Since he was signed as a free agent it would not be the end of the world....but I am sure that Dean would find a taker before he put Purcell on waivers.
wait, so correct me if I'm wrong. If he starts the season in the AHL, gets pulled up, he won't be subject to waivers right? Then if he plays less than 10 games and gets sent down, he still won't be subject to waivers. Once he exceeds the 10 games, he'll be subject to waivers if he gets sent down (or pulled up too?)

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
wait, so correct me if I'm wrong. If he starts the season in the AHL, gets pulled up, he won't be subject to waivers right? Then if he plays less than 10 games and gets sent down, he still won't be subject to waivers. Once he exceeds the 10 games, he'll be subject to waivers if he gets sent down (or pulled up too?)
Correct....but he will get paid his NHL salary regardless.....which is why he will more than likely surpass the 10 game mark relatively early in the season.

Old
07-21-2009, 03:48 PM
LAX attack*

Zubrus would be perfect for that 3rd line

Old
07-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Zubrus would be perfect for that 3rd line
Why?

He's be blocking a kid who needs the chance to grow and would likely be a better player than Zubrus in a year or two anyway

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 04:30 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Why?

He's be blocking a kid who needs the chance to grow and would likely be a better player than Zubrus in a year or two anyway
Agreed. Save the money for the Loaf.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Agreed. Save the money for the Loaf.
So you want Frolov to be re-signed? I could've swore you were against it.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote